2019 Houston Mayoral Race

Pancho

Buzbee saying all the Trumpy robotexts and robocalls were not from his campaign. I got 4, and they motivated me to go vote against Buzbee. Was neutral before.

Maybe it was Turner’s campaign? Aligning yourself to Trump in a very blue county is incredibly stupid.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

So the firefighters managed their pension fund better and got fucked over in the name of “sharing the burden?”

whats the logic that the runoff election is held on a Saturday but the normal elections are held on tuesdays?  Obviously it’s to increase turn out so why not do the same for federal elections.  
Federal election day would take a constitutional amendment to change, and there's a political party with its hands on several levers of power that thinks people voting is a problem.

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

So the firefighters managed their pension fund better and got fucked over in the name of “sharing the burden?”

I don’t think that is what happened.  The city is just lowering their contribution to all 3 plans (fire, police and city workers.) besides just because the fire fighters potentially managed a better return that has zero impact on benefits.  It just means they are better funded. I haven’t read anything that says they’re getting singled out.

If citizens want to pay fire fighters more in salary or retirement, then why not introduce a resolution to raise taxes. I think we all know how well that will go. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t think that is what happened.  The city is just lowering their contribution to all 3 plans (fire, police and city workers.) besides just because the fire fighters potentially managed a better return that has zero impact on benefits.  It just means they are better funded. I haven’t read anything that says they’re getting singled out.

If citizens want to pay fire fighters more in salary or retirement, then why not introduce a resolution to raise taxes. I think we all know how well that will go. 

Didn't the city begin to do that (raise taxes) and came up against the cap?

22 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Didn't the city begin to do that (raise taxes) and came up against the cap?

The city's property tax rate has actually decreased slightly since 2015.  Its was .601%  and now .568% in 2019.   Now during that time, I imagine the average property value has appreciated and most likely there is more improved land so the tax revenue has increased overall.  

If anyone wants to take a nap, here is a link the city's 2019 budget.  https://www.houstontx.gov/budget/19budadopt/FY2019_Adopted_Budget.pdf

The city was going broke paying the firefighter pension program that was put in place decades ago. Turner went to the Texas Legislature and they approved Turner's pension reform plan in 2017.

HFD got pissed off and asked for more salary, but selfishly asked for too much. Turner said he couldn't pay what they want, and asked to meet in the middle (his words). HFD said fuck off.

Both the mayor and HFD are being jackasses about this. 

The city was going broke paying the firefighter pension program that was put in place decades ago. Turner went to the Texas Legislature and they approved Turner's pension reform plan in 2017.
HFD got pissed off and asked for more salary, but selfishly asked for too much. Turner said he couldn't pay what they want, and asked to meet in the middle (his words). HFD said fuck off.
Both the mayor and HFD are being jackasses about this. 
Kinda...

HFD asked to be paid on par with HPD like most large metros. They didn't ask for 'too much'.

I voted for payment parity, knowing the money isn't actually there. That's a separate problem.

I voted on "should firefighters and police be paid the same?" And chose yes.

Dallas is trying to recruit Houston firefighters today offering much better pay.

Turner offered HFD something like a 12% raise over three years. I don't know the exact numbers. I also don't blame Tuner for not handing out $100 million the city can't afford..

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Kinda...

HFD asked to be paid on par with HPD like most large metros. They didn't ask for 'too much'.

I voted for payment parity, knowing the money isn't actually there. That's a separate problem.

I voted on "should firefighters and police be paid the same?" And chose yes.

We shouldn't compare HPD to HFD. We should compare with fire depts in other cities.  They also attempted to compare roles based on their title when the job responsibilities were different.  A police captain is a much higher role than a fire captain.  But now they get paid the same because of the title.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We shouldn't compare HPD to HFD. We should compare with fire depts in other cities.  They also attempted to compare roles based on their title when the job responsibilities were different.  A police captain is a much higher role than a fire captain.  But now they get paid the same because of the title.

You think THAT'S a mess? Now think about how much an oyster shucker at Captain Benny's is entitled to make.  $150 a dozen oysters, coming right up!  MADNESS, I TELL YOU!