The Wire

thepop

^^although string was a bit slow to pickup that being the smartest motherfucker on the corner doesn't make him ready to cut cards with the real sharks

that scene where avon and stringer are reminiscing on the rooftop, both already having secretly betrayed the other - greatness

Edited by Celery Man

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, finished the second run through it.  As I think was noted at the old place, everything seems to change a little with subsequent viewing.  S5, man, really weak.  S2 may have been my favorite on this run.  I have always been a defender of S2.

I suppose everything will change again next time I watch.

I liked Season 2.  But, it has its detractors.  Think it gets better the second time thru-

On 4/27/2018 at 7:12 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I think the detractors of season 2 just wanted another season 1. They just wanted it to stay a show about cops and black street gangs. But the expanding scope of the show is one of the things that made it so great. 

It's become wildly apparent to me over the years since the end of the show that the people that didn't like Season 2 grew up in Right to Work states.  It's like an 75/25 cut, if you grew up in a union state---75% chance you loved season two.  If you didn't, 75% chance you didn't enjoy it.  Simon was abundantly fucking clear about the Wire.  It was about the institutions of a dying, once-great, American city.  Drugs/organized crime, the police, local government, public schools, the media, and yes...organized labor.  All at the heart of cities like Baltimore.  You can live your whole life in Dallas or Houston and know 2 people in unions.  You can't live on any block, anywhere, in any neighborhood in Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, et. al. and not have grown up around 100 union guys and their families.  

On 4/27/2018 at 7:12 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I think the detractors of season 2 just wanted another season 1. They just wanted it to stay a show about cops and black street gangs. But the expanding scope of the show is one of the things that made it so great. 

this is what it was.  hell i didn't even really like season 2 the first time i watched it.  but pretty much everyone who has watched the series through a second time really likes season 2.  once the shock/disappointment of it being a lot different from season 1 wears off and you just watch the season as it was intended to be watched, you realize that it was a great fucking season of television. 

• Like 1

In the midst of my 4th full run on the show, and now that I'm living in Baltimore it has more impact that ever. Seeing scenes shot in my neighborhood, and knowing that many others were just blocks away, creates a strange contrast from the interior of my loft apartment. 

This is a city of striking contrasts, and I love that the show was incredibly successful at painting a true portrait of Baltimore. 

• Like 1

I loved Season 2 on the first watch, but I knew it was going "different" so I just went with the flow (first watched it a couple years ago).  Hell, except for what they did to McNulty in S5, I liked that season and thought that finally bringing the media into the whole sphere was a great move.

On 4/9/2018 at 9:11 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Clarke Peters, who played Lester Freamon in The Wire (and Big Chief Albert Lambreaux in Treme), played a junkie in The Corner. Not just any junkie, the big junkie.

I read the book before I saw the mini-series. The book is so much better than the mini-series. The show was okay but you should definitely read the book. It has a lot more depth and detail. 

He makes this scene, if you ask me...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 11:38 PM, Party_Taco said:

In the midst of my 4th full run on the show, and now that I'm living in Baltimore it has more impact that ever. Seeing scenes shot in my neighborhood, and knowing that many others were just blocks away, creates a strange contrast from the interior of my loft apartment. 

This is a city of striking contrasts, and I love that the show was incredibly successful at painting a true portrait of Baltimore. 

I was in Baltimore for a week on business earlier this year.  The local news stories were like real like Wire plots.  Gangster shit, police corruption, political hijinks, etc.  The show prolly just wrote itself.

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I was in Baltimore for a week on business earlier this year.  The local news stories were like real like Wire plots.  Gangster shit, police corruption, political hijinks, etc.  The show prolly just wrote itself.

No prolly about it, burns and simon just meshed a bunch of different stories and community figures together for the characters and plot lines. The book that came out this year about the show is a great behind the scenes look into it all. 

On 4/29/2018 at 1:34 AM, Celery Man said:

Yeah, season 2 first time through was a lot of "what show am I watching?".  Second time through was... we used to make things in this country.

The season-ending in 2 was one of the best. When Nick was thinking back on everything and looking back at the docks was just great (heartbreaking) stuff. 

Edited by Rivers

On 4/26/2018 at 3:48 PM, LosIllini said:

I liked Season 2.  But, it has its detractors.  Think it gets better the second time thru-

I agree about season 2. I think detractors of season 2 tend to be people who only watched the show once through. Upon first watching the show, season 2 sits in stark contrast to not only season 1, but to what people presume the show is about. I think this dynamic is what causes people to be critical of season 2. After you've viewed the entire saga a couple times, season 2 helps to bring all the components of the show into the perspective. 

17 hours ago, bluto said:

No prolly about it, burns and simon just meshed a bunch of different stories and community figures together for the characters and plot lines. The book that came out this year about the show is a great behind the scenes look into it all. 

what book is that?

• 4 months later...
On 4/29/2018 at 11:38 PM, Party_Taco said:

Condolences on living in Baltimore. I lived there for seven years. It is a shithole. 

Condolences on living in Baltimore. I lived there for seven years. It is a shithole. 

When was the last time you were here? I’m really enjoying it TBH. Many people I know who hadn’t been here in 10 years don’t recognize the place now, mostly thanks to Kevin Plank’s largesse.

• 3 months later...

when I watched the first time, I remember thinking the clay davis character was so ridiculous and so over-the-top.  and then I thought about our man downtown, john wiley price. 

compare those two in a vacuum and JWP seems like the fictional character, and it’s not even close. 

• Like 2

Me and John Wiley used to exchange power clenched fist sign greetings at NW and Buckner when he used to protest over at the Northeast Police station.  He aight.

And it's McNutty, not McNulty.

I thought 2nd season was straight up awesome.  And 3rd season was when you realize that they were really going to pull off the epic.

12 hours ago, futureman said:

when I watched the first time, I remember thinking the clay davis character was so ridiculous and so over-the-top.  and then I thought about our man downtown, john wiley price. 

compare those two in a vacuum and JWP seems like the fictional character, and it’s not even close. 

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt.

4 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Not subscribed. Been a few years since I’ve done a re-watch

Has this site done a best drama series ever debate thread?

16 years later The Wire is hard to beat, but I’ve excluded the 5th season on all my rewatches which probably influences my opinion.

not sure what you're talking about, there was no 5th season.

i think there have been several unofficial debates, and my guess is the surly top 5 would look something like (in no particular order):

the wire, the sopranos, mad men, breaking bad, and then some sort of conversation involving game of thrones, the west wing, certain seasons of lost, justified, boardwalk empire, the shield, and the americans.

7 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Me and John Wiley used to exchange power clenched fist sign greetings at NW and Buckner when he used to protest over at the Northeast Police station.  He aight.

And it's McNutty, not McNulty.

I thought 2nd season was straight up awesome.  And 3rd season was when you realize that they were really going to pull off the epic.

He aight? You're fucking kidding right? He has single-handedly kept down the southern sector as his day job, for decades.  

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 3:53 PM, henrygandorf said:

i think there have been several unofficial debates, and my guess is the surly top 5 would look something like (in no particular order):

the wire, the sopranos, mad men, breaking bad, and then some sort of conversation involving game of thrones, the west wing, certain seasons of lost, justified, boardwalk empire, the shield, and the americans.

I'm one of the few that enjoyed the 5th season, mainly because I liked Gus so much and the newspaper angle always makes me wonder "what if?". 

And yes to the top four of five,  with every show except Justified/Shield (both on my list to eventually watch) and Boardwalk (watched it all the way through but never thought it was in that top echelon), but throw in The Leftovers.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:53 PM, henrygandorf said:

justified??? justified??? the americans?? thats pretty bush league stuff next to the other heavyweights listed there