The Wire

thepop

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

that's what's so funny about it. it's a one second bit with a pretty huge payoff. i loved it. 

I don't know. Maybe it was a storyline they considered exploring but abandoned. There was a scene in a bathroom where a graffito on the wall said, "Bill Rawls sucks cock," or something to that effect. 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

oh yeah, the soundtrack on this show is amazing. so many great songs being played in the background of barber shops, hangout spots, vehicles, etc. outstanding job by whoever was in charge of that. 

The first time we see Beadie in season 2, driving her patrol car around the docks, the music playing on her radio is by some New Orleans band. Was that foreshadowing of David Simon's next project Treme?

SPOILER ALERT

Season 5 got a lot better toward the end; I just hated the McNulty fake serial killer angle. I liked the newspaper/media angle but don’t think it was strong enough to carry a season (like Polish dock workers in 2) and would have been better served as an on-again/off-again story through all 5. Obviously nitpicking on the series that is in a dead heat with Breaking Bad for my favorite....

• Hook 'Em 3

I really like Homicide, Life on the Streets as well.  Enjoyed the different detectives and then The Wire used some of the same actors but in different ways.  They're different but even though Homicide was different episodes, it had a background continuing theme whereas Wire was about a central case from different perspectives.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/9/2020 at 8:18 AM, shadow_operative said:

oh yeah, the soundtrack on this show is amazing. so many great songs being played in the background of barber shops, hangout spots, vehicles, etc. outstanding job by whoever was in charge of that. 

just went back over S1, here's a sampling of what they played:

• 4 weeks later...
On December 8, 2020 at 7:10 PM, Gil Bang said:

IMHO, the Rawls in the gay bar was the biggies "oh shit" moment in the entire show.  

Why? It really didn't affect the story at all. There was a scene in a police station restroom with a graffito on the wall that said, "Rawls sucks cock," or something to that effect. So that could be explained as something that was actually true rather than some underling just using slang to call him a jerk. But it didn't add to the story beyond that and it didn't explain his motivations for anything he did on the show. I thought it was more of a WTF moment because it didn't seem all that relevant and they didn't explore that plot point at all. I'd say that was one of the weaker points in the show. Remove it entirely and the show would still be just as good. 

The biggest "oh shit" moment from Rawls was in "The Cost" in season 1 when that asshole who hated McNulty more than anyone else in the world sat him down and told him that he wasn't responsible for Kima getting shot. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

If this needs to go to Cloak Room, just say so.

Frank hated Reagan for busting the unions so this makes sense.

who goes? Colicchio is an easy ‘yes’. Herc probably. 

Frog, for sure.

lol none of them go. No person from Baltimore would go to anything like that. Sure, they may firebomb their own neighborhood pharmacy, but they're not going to a rally in DC. Everybody in Smalltimore stays in Smalltimore. Smalltimore is their life. It's their entire universe. 

"You live in the country?" 

"No, I live in the County."

"same thing"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:30 PM, henrygandorf said:

i guess that's it?  why he wouldn't have just gone with avon's people is the troubling part, but maybe that was simon's way of telling us that the game had passed him by or that it wasn't in him anymore.  seems like he would get the package and go straight to bodie or whomever - he already had the conversation with slim charles and bodie about his brother and sparring with him.

also i'm not sure if we ever see him get the package, so i guess shamrock it is.  unsatisfying answer. 

i'm months late to this discussion but my (not on a rewatch) recollection is thinking that Cutty wanted to offload the package without taking the risk of running a corner himself, but didn't use one of Avon's crews because splitting the package would be a weak move for a guy like him? They're all waiting for the big bad soldier to come home and he's struggling if that is still in him or not, and he's at a moment where he doesn't want to run the risk but doesn't want them to know that the game isn't in him anymore, and he hasn't even come to terms with that completely himself. Of course, the game has also passed him by - nobody is carrying around 6 shooters, nobody outside his crew gives a shit about his cred, and of course they are going to rip him off.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2021 at 1:53 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

If this needs to go to Cloak Room, just say so.

Frank hated Reagan for busting the unions so this makes sense.

who goes? Colicchio is an easy ‘yes’. Herc probably. 

Frog, for sure.

Herc wouldn't go. Colicchio would have been the first one inside the capitol. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my second round of watching The Wire since the pandemic sent everyone home.

Season 4 right now.

Can't say how many times I've actually run through the series though. 

It's a dang good show.

Herc is so conflicted with right and wrong. Hamsterdam vs the surveillance camera.

Yeah....he was an asshole.

Edited by Davis Lane