The Wire

thepop

57 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i started my third rewatch a few weeks ago. just an episode a night or so.  i'm halfway through season 2, and all i can really think about right now is how not one of those motherfuckers was ever nominated for an Emmy in an acting category, and the show was never nominated for best drama.  it's criminal.  it's right up there with Reggie Bush beating VY for the Heisman as the biggest travesty in awards show history.

if The Wire came out today, it would be like Succession.  there would 2 or 3 actors up for each category.  Larry Gilliard Jr as Dee should have an Emmy under his belt in a supporting role for season 1.  he was awesome. Chris Bauer as Frank Sobotka would be a shoe in nominee for season 2 best supporting actor.  but you could throw out 10 other names that had Emmy worthy submissions.  yet not one nomination.

as for Best Drama, it's comical to look at some of the other shows that were nominated in that category during the timeframe The Wire was on: CSI, Joan of Arcadia, Grey's Anatomy, House, Boston Legal, Heroes.  just network schlock.  and i'm giving a pass to other shows that, while not my cup of tea, had big supporters, good reviews, and legit claims for nominations (West Wing, Dexter, Lost, Damages).  but no love for a show that many now believe is the greatest series ever produced in the history this medium.

and yeah, this shit more than holds up some 20 plus years since it's debut.

they should invent an award for the job that andre royo did as bubbles.

• Hook 'Em 3

The Wire is a better rewatch than The Sopranos. That's saying a lot as The Sopranos is my favorite show. 

The Wire just flows better. Every season has a theme and a tight interconnected story to tell. And most importantly, very little domestic bullshit. No AJ getting suspended from school bullshit. No Lydia yelling at her nurse. No Meadow's boyfriends. No Carmela bitching at Tony for banging whores. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

i started my third rewatch a few weeks ago. just an episode a night or so.  i'm halfway through season 2, and all i can really think about right now is how not one of those motherfuckers was ever nominated for an Emmy in an acting category, and the show was never nominated for best drama.  it's criminal.  it's right up there with Reggie Bush beating VY for the Heisman as the biggest travesty in awards show history.

if The Wire came out today, it would be like Succession.  there would 2 or 3 actors up for each category.  Larry Gilliard Jr as Dee should have an Emmy under his belt in a supporting role for season 1.  he was awesome. Chris Bauer as Frank Sobotka would be a shoe in nominee for season 2 best supporting actor.  but you could throw out 10 other names that had Emmy worthy submissions.  yet not one nomination.

as for Best Drama, it's comical to look at some of the other shows that were nominated in that category during the timeframe The Wire was on: CSI, Joan of Arcadia, Grey's Anatomy, House, Boston Legal, Heroes.  just network schlock.  and i'm giving a pass to other shows that, while not my cup of tea, had big supporters, good reviews, and legit claims for nominations (West Wing, Dexter, Lost, Damages).  but no love for a show that many now believe is the greatest series ever produced in the history this medium.

and yeah, this shit more than holds up some 20 plus years since it's debut.

This America, man

There's a few Reddit threads about how Slim Charles winning The Wire as he's still alive and incarnated at the end of the show. While I think Marlo has a claim, Slim is the clear winner after being quoted by the Hawaii Supreme Court. 

Slim's highlights: 

- Survived the Marlo - Barksdale War despite being on the losing side. 

- Was somehow transferred to Prop Joe despite being a West Side player. 

- Was allowed to move packages on the West Side independent of Marlo without punishment. 

- Somehow survived Marlo's purge of Prop Joe's Crew/The Co-Op in Season 5. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There's a few Reddit threads about how Slim Charles winning The Wire as he's still alive and incarnated at the end of the show. While I think Marlo has a claim, Slim is the clear winner after being quoted by the Hawaii Supreme Court. 

Slim's highlights: 

- Was allowed to move packages on the West Side independent of Marlo without punishment. 

Also had a gun to his head from Omar and lived to tell about it.

• Hook 'Em 4

Baja Fresh sighting at a Carcetti late night session in the Season 4 finale. I think Paulie asks Tony if he wants a Baja Fresh in a Sopranos episode as well. 

I miss that place. While I was at UT they had a buy a large drink get a free burrito coupon. They'd give you a beef or chicken fajita burrito will all the fixings, a drink, and chips for about $2.50. This was in 2005-2007, not the the '80s. 

I lived on BOGO Thunderclouds and Baja Fresh large drink coupons for a couple years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Slim's highlights: 

He also ended the series with the connect to The Greeks as well. 'Errbody was going to have to go through him to get their product.

Slim always struck me as one of the most proficient players of The Game.  Tough but equally smart. He had a code, played The Game with respect, and earned the respect of everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beer Drinker said:

I just started watching.  Probably been mentioned here before but Nick Sobotka’s girlfriend’s tits in season 2 are impressive.

This is probably the most talked about thing in the history of Hornfans/Shaggy/Surly.  It's been noted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/7/2024 at 5:55 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm really digging Season 4 on my rewatch. Marlo is probably my favorite character on the show. Just cold, calculating evil, and he's also probably the most brilliant character on the show. He got over on the police, the courts, and most impressively Prop Joe. Genius level street smarts. 

He’s gonna get fleeced out of his money just like Stringer Bell. 

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Rewatching season 3 now. "Yo, does the chair know that we gonna look like some punk-ass bitches out there?"

He was 100% right and String shot him down.  They gave you the ending to that season in that first scene. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 8:34 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

He’s gonna get fleeced out of his money just like Stringer Bell. 

100%, by the end of the show, Marlo was straight up in checkmate and Avon ultimately won. Marlo's "victory" was something he didn't give one shit about, he was all about his name on the streets. By the end of the show, he'd achieved Stringer's victory, not Avon's. He's in the world of politics now, if he fucks up at all his ass is going to federal prison for life, and as the final scenes show, that dude just could not help but fucking up. And Avon set it all up from within prison. All his "West coast love" shit was bullshit playing marlo like a fiddle, he knew if he set Marlo against Prop Joe and the collective, they'd destroy themselves easily. And that's exactly what happened, by the end, the collective has no ties to the Greeks anymore and Marlo can't touch the streets or he's gone for good. All Avon has to do is wait out his term in jail and when he gets out, he has everything lined up to take all he lost back. Marlo was a dumb punk who got played by Avon in every scene they interacted in.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just making sure everybody knows that We Own This City is secretly Season 6 of the Wire. Same cast, same writers, same city, only 20 years later, and the cast are playing new characters. But if every season of the wire has a theme, We Own This City Is about police corruption, the lens finally turns inwards. Well worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...

Score!  I bought this on iTunes many years ago and then my Mac video card went dead and the email I had was no longe with in memory bank. I signed on to Apple TV TV to check out the free offer and The Wire, Party Down and Breaking Bad are available without having to sign in for the free offer.  Watch an episode from season 1 and then top it off with a PD episode. 

On 3/4/2024 at 4:19 PM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

100%, by the end of the show, Marlo was straight up in checkmate and Avon ultimately won. Marlo's "victory" was something he didn't give one shit about, he was all about his name on the streets. By the end of the show, he'd achieved Stringer's victory, not Avon's. He's in the world of politics now, if he fucks up at all his ass is going to federal prison for life, and as the final scenes show, that dude just could not help but fucking up. And Avon set it all up from within prison. All his "West coast love" shit was bullshit playing marlo like a fiddle, he knew if he set Marlo against Prop Joe and the collective, they'd destroy themselves easily. And that's exactly what happened, by the end, the collective has no ties to the Greeks anymore and Marlo can't touch the streets or he's gone for good. All Avon has to do is wait out his term in jail and when he gets out, he has everything lined up to take all he lost back. Marlo was a dumb punk who got played by Avon in every scene they interacted in.

not true.  in the final montage slim charles and fat face rick are meeting in the diner with vondas while the greek sits at the bar within earshot.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

not true.  in the final montage slim charles and fat face rick are meeting in the diner with vondas while the greek sits at the bar within earshot.

true, but assuming that Slim is still in charge when Avon gets out you have to assume that Avon is going to step right back into that top dog role, a role that SC himself said he wasn’t made for.

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 4:25 PM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Just making sure everybody knows that We Own This City is secretly Season 6 of the Wire. Same cast, same writers, same city, only 20 years later, and the cast are playing new characters. But if every season of the wire has a theme, We Own This City Is about police corruption, the lens finally turns inwards. Well worth watching.

You're somehow overselling and underselling We Own This City at the same time. It's a little bit more than a spiritual season 6 of the Wire. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom

On 3/27/2024 at 10:18 AM, usmc0331horn said:

Season 2 has grown on my over the years as one of my favorite seasons of television ever. Gonna rewatch yet again after finishing The Americans.

I think my plan is rewatch We Own This City again to laugh my ass at Bernthal then Season 2 of The Wire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On this rewatch, I’m enjoying the smaller moments. 

Avon and D visit Avon’s brother in the public hospital. D doesn’t want to be there and doesn’t take in the wisdom of…

.and how you ain't never gonna be slow, never be late?