Dallas Stars 2019 off-season thread

C-Man

19 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I don't mind spending less than 4 for those two. Polak is getting older and Janmark might not ever be the same after the medical scare. Serviceable. Known quantities in personality. 

I don't hate it.

I've heard nothing about Zuccarello. Not a peep. 

I thought a story came out a few weeks back where he made it sound like he enjoyed his time here and was open to a return.

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

I thought a story came out a few weeks back where he made it sound like he enjoyed his time here and was open to a return.

If he's waited this long after the season ended without signing he's definitely going to wait another month for the start of free agency to see what money is available on the open market. 

Offseason News:

Sean Shapiro wrote a long update from Jim Nill in The Athletic. Here are the main points.

• Signing a top-six forward is a primary objective
- There is mutual interest in Mats Zuccarello re-signing (target #1)

• Marc Methot and Jason Spezza will not return

• Martin Hanzal is doubtful to return (back injury)

• Val Nichushkin is not likely to be bought out
- Unless a solid opportunity appears where his partial buyout cap space is needed

• Ben Lovejoy and Taylor Fedun might return

• Stephen Johns is making some progress, and he is thought to be a roster player next season
- If things turn sour by free agency, look for his cap hit to be used on someone else
- Anton Stralman (TB) and Jake Gardiner (TOR) are options to sign as a replacement

• 2021 expansion draft is on the horizon
- Either protect 7F-3D-1G or 8Skaters-1G

• Stars only have four picks in 2019 Draft, and they want to acquire more

On 6/13/2019 at 8:36 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Not great Jim. Not great. 

That looks pretty terrible but TB's number is built off three guys. Funny enough the one game the Stars have wasn't even played for us -- it was with Vegas.

At any rate, Nill needs to do better at the draft -- but he appears to be better than Jon Daniels in that regard. (Though that ain't sayin' much.)

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

we won something!

That's bad ass! Hadn't seen that. I've nearly pulled the trigger multiple times on the Tyler Seguin/Sega NHL '94 t-shirt I've seen advertised on Facebook. Think I might need to do that.

14 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

why did I bother holding out hope Bish would win the Vezina. Fucking rigged bullshit

Probably just came down to number of games played. Still hard to fathom Tampa Bay's face-plant in the playoffs.

What Ritchie and Hartman’s exclusion from qualifying offers could do as well is open up some competition for the bottom six of the roster from some of the forwards down in the AHL. Could this be Denis Gurianov’s chance to grab a NHL spot? It’s possible. Dallas has 11 forwards signed and/or expected to be signed (Dickinson still needs a new contract but was qualified earlier today) before they head into free agency:

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2019/6/25/18758703/nhl-rfa-qualifying-offers-dallas-stars-brett-ritchie-trade-rumors-ryan-hartman-philadelphia-flyers

What would Hartman have gotten in arbitration? 

If he doesn't sign is all they get for the trade some cap space?

I like the idea of Pavelski over Zuccarello. He's a better scorer and his window of 2 to 3 seasons left as a good player fits with the Stars window of probably 3 years left of Bishop being a prime level goalie. Just like Cowboys need to go all in next two seasons because once Dak is paid they will start losing their other talent the same should be the Stars attitude. Go all in now while you have one of the best goalies and a legit shot to win the title. 

10 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Ok. 

It's just business.

He's played with Jamie in the Olympics. It's less than what they were paying Val. I expect more than zero goals from him. As distasteful as it seems I am having a hard time getting upset. 

CoreyfuckingPerry.

I don't know how else to say his name. 

Agreed 100%.   Just win.

Boy, I'd still like the Stars to sign somebody they *know* will score next season. Perry is only 33 and I guess he could have a career rebirth if he's healthy. At a minimum, he's a gritty, third-line winger who can put the puck in the net enough times to be worthwhile. I thought the Stars needed more offensive oomph anyway and while Pavelski probably offers more scoring than Zuccarello, I think we need to add more offense. Is there anything still out there that we're looking at?