Roky Erickson has passed away

jimmyjazz

I don't know whether to feel sadness at a life so tortured, or feel glad that this guy lived way, way beyond what anyone thought possible and did some of his best work late in life.

In either case, RIP.  No one like him.  I hope the only demons he has now are those left behind on earth.

• Like 1

This is a tough one. He had the most sincere voice in rock and roll. Lucky to have seen him a few times during his renaissance. He still put on a great show. 

I know what I’ll be listening to all weekend. Thanks for giving us all you had, Roky. 

Edited by destroya

Guest Lobo

Glad I got to see him once on the comeback trail.  Great talent, great Austinite.  RIP.  

Seems like it's been a rough couple of months for the music scene in terms of deaths.  

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

I mean, he was a 71 year old schizophrenic who suffered years of electroshock and pharmacological experiments and was so heavy he could barely walk. Frankly, I’m a little surprised he made it to 71

I was referring to his musical vision -- he was ahead of his time in that regard. 

You're right that it was a small miracle that he made it to 71 y/o. 

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

Cool pic that showed up on my FB feed from Scott Newton Photography.

Gibby, Willie and Roky. May 1995 @ Luck, Texas.......... I could tell a thousand stories about making this image... First, Roky wouldn't move or take direction, literally. He would turn, but not move...Then, Willie quietly asked us who Roky Erickson was. Later, Roky asked if Willie Nelson was there yet, while standing next to him... Gibby Haynes was, well, Gibby. Willie is good for maybe 2 willingcooperative minutes before he's on to the next thing. I wasted 5 minutes trying to get Roky to move and Willie announced my five minutes were up! I dropped trying to get Roky to do anything other than just stand and chat ("how do I look now?"), and managed to get off two very quick rolls of 120 film with the Hasselblad; the actual shooting took 2 minutes... It's amazing I was able to get this wonderful image.