Let’s talk about 6 baby, Let’s talk about 2019-2020 LFC

Firemans4Horn

We won't shatter our wage structure to sign a 19-year old center back, but I do think it'd be good to have someone capable of stepping in if/when VvD needs some rest or picks up a knock. Didn't happen this year and he's far from a sick note, but he has had seasons where he missed significant stretches.

As much as we all love Joemez, his injury record is terrible. And we know what happens when Matip or Lovren are expected to be the leader of the defense.   

There's a difference between contact injuries and something joint related. His recent injuries are contact injuries. The tackle that broke his ankle was really harsh, if you go back and watch it.  As someone else said, that's just unlucky. He's still just 22. 

On 6/10/2019 at 11:38 AM, Jograves said:

There's a difference between contact injuries and something joint related. His recent injuries are contact injuries. The tackle that broke his ankle was really harsh, if you go back and watch it.  As someone else said, that's just unlucky. He's still just 22. 

Is the ACL tear joint-related or nah?

So what you're saying is that aside from the two tendon-related injuries that have cost him the better part of two years and 67 matches, he's only had one major injury that cost him 30 games and it was a really unlucky contact injury. Got it.

We all want Joe Gomez to be our starting CB for the next decade. But the guy has yet to have a season at LFC where he hasn't missed significant chunks of the season. Call it unlucky if you want but either way we have to have a contingency plan in case his, um, terrible luck continues.

2 hours ago, 406W30th said:

So what you're saying is that aside from the two tendon-related injuries that have cost him the better part of two years and 67 matches, he's only had one major injury that cost him 30 games and it was a really unlucky contact injury. Got it.

We all want Joe Gomez to be our starting CB for the next decade. But the guy has yet to have a season at LFC where he hasn't missed significant chunks of the season. Call it unlucky if you want but either way we have to have a contingency plan in case his, um, terrible luck continues.

Not sure the snark is necessary. I don't think what I said was THAT outrageous. 

I think you can have players that are unlucky with injuries and others that are actually injury prone. The jury is still out on Gomez, IMO. 

Edited by Jograves

7 hours ago, 406W30th said:

It’s unlucky. 

fwiw, VVD missed 95, 4, and 136 days when he was ~23-25. 

10 hours ago, pied said:

It’s unlucky. 

fwiw, VVD missed 95, 4, and 136 days when he was ~23-25. 

He was actually 17 when he had the emergency appendectomy that caused that 3-month layoff. I'm not sure I consider a 4-day absence anything noteworthy. The ankle injury at Southampton was pretty serious and he missed a big chunk of time, though some of it was almost certainly due to his interest in leaving the club.

I think it's funny that saying we should buy another CB because our 22-year old potential star of the future has yet to have a healthy season during his 4 years at the club. I get that there's this idea that we'll impede his progress if we buy someone like De Ligt, but he's 3 years older than De Ligt, and if Gomez is good enough, he's good enough. Virgil will need some rest and we're going to play 60-some games next year; there are plenty of games to go around. 

We are champions of Europe, coming off the third-highest points total in a PL season. We have the money and the cachet right now, and the opportunity to cement our back line for the foreseeable future. I realize it's not 100% up to us but how hard a sell could it be, especially considering he's VvD's international teammate and CB partner.

36 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

He was actually 17 when he had the emergency appendectomy that caused that 3-month layoff. I'm not sure I consider a 4-day absence anything noteworthy. The ankle injury at Southampton was pretty serious and he missed a big chunk of time, though some of it was almost certainly due to his interest in leaving the club.

I think it's funny that saying we should buy another CB because our 22-year old potential star of the future has yet to have a healthy season during his 4 years at the club. I get that there's this idea that we'll impede his progress if we buy someone like De Ligt, but he's 3 years older than De Ligt, and if Gomez is good enough, he's good enough. Virgil will need some rest and we're going to play 60-some games next year; there are plenty of games to go around. 

We are champions of Europe, coming off the third-highest points total in a PL season. We have the money and the cachet right now, and the opportunity to cement our back line for the foreseeable future. I realize it's not 100% up to us but how hard a sell could it be, especially considering he's VvD's international teammate and CB partner.

There are several reasons, but here's the biggest IMO.  de Ligt might be a great player, but at the rumored wages he'd be double everyone but Mo.  It's not like we're talking a straight up trade Joe for de Ligt.  There are many facets to it.  I'd argue that spending much money where we have VVD/Joe/Matip/Lovren vs. other positions is not wise.  Money better spent elsewhere.

I think that's his shithead agent putting that out there. At the end of the quote I saw, it said, "But, his agent insisted de Ligt hasn't made a decision and is still waiting to hear from other clubs." Sounds like the agent is trying to set the market. 

Edited by Jograves

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Sheeeeeeeeeet. That would cause chaos in our ranks. He's not worth fucking up the chemistry we have.

I don't disagree, but one thing I don't really get is the purported rift in the locker rooms of PL clubs when it comes to wages. I'm sure it would rub some players the wrong way if, for example, De Ligt came in at double the wages of VvD or Mané, but I feel like it's talked about incessantly in the English media, and not so much in American sports. Steph Curry is probably the most prominent example; his per year salary was #80 in the league prior to his max deal, which was obviously egregious, 

Christian Yelich, the reigning NL MVP, is making $9.7M this year, while teammate Lorenzo Cain is making $15M. I don't hear the American media talking much about discord in the locker room, but rather how "team-friendly" Yelich's contract is. Players signed a contract; in all likelihood they did this of their own free will, and they're making a shit ton of money. I realize that it impacts all of our wages going forward, and that it's hard to tell Mané he's gonna make less than a new 19-year old signing, but I feel like the idea of rifts in the locker room due to wage disparity is way overblown.

• Like 1

I don’t think you can compare mlb (salary cap, depressed wage scale for young players) with European football. In Europe team wage scale is taken as gospel. When you sign a shitty bust like alexis Sanchez to £400k+ a week everyone in the squad and everyone incoming use that as a barometer based on their perceived value to the high water mark earner. United are now dealing with de Gea wanting £600k a week and rashford wanting £300k a week.

If VVD/mo/Mane are at £200k then we can bring in a pepe at £120k. If we had de ligt earning £340k then Pepe would want £200k or more. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn
  • Like 1

Y'all are arguing about something that may not even be worth arguing about. Signing de Ligt would be amazing because he's that good and if it happened it'd be because the fee and the contract made sense. If we don't sign him it might be because everything was too much. Regardless, I do believe we need to strengthen at the position. Gomez and Matip do have injury issues. VvD played more minutes then anyone in Europe. Lovren is just a horrible soccer player that shouldn't be wearing red. So we do need something. It's just does that something need to be 80M or not.

14 hours ago, pied said:

I predict Burnley away for the first game.

That's accurate according to the leaks as the opening Saturday night game.

Saturday

• Tottenham vs Norwich
  • Bournemouth vs Sheffield United
  • Crystal Palace vs Arsenal
  • Everton vs Newcastle
  • Southampton vs Chelsea
  • Watford vs West Ham
  • Burnley vs Liverpool

Sunday

• Aston Villa vs Leicester
  • Man Utd vs Brighton

Monday

• Wolves vs Man City
Edited by TKS

Spurs/manu back to back both times might be tricky. Right with some other matches could cause fret. Hope it’s a CL home game in October. 

The manu game in October is during parents weekend for my kid’s college. Betting that’s going to be hard to catch. Anyone know of a supporter’s bar in Northfield MN? Maybe Minneapolis lol?

5 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Really no particularly rough runs. The last three looks like the toughest set of three games but overall pretty well balanced.

I agree. May is our toughest month, which could be difficult as we're fighting for our 7th. 

October is difficult too. We had draws in 2 of those 3 fixtures this past season. 

Edited by Jograves

I've got, what may be, a dumb question.

I see the schedule above.  Is it possible that any of the games would be changed depending on Champion's League matches? I can't recall if these matches are set in stone and other tourneys work around them, or if the EPL matches might change depending on what's going on elsewhere.  I'm asking because I've got a week in Scotland next March and want to book so that I can attend a game in Anfield while there.

Not a dumb question. 

Use the tweet F4H posted. That Crystal Palace match could likely be moved. The FA Cup quarters are that weekend and if we're in it or they are, we're not playing Palace that weekend. I don't see the match on the 7th being moved though. 

ETA: The derby won't be moved either but you're not going to be able to go to Goodison, nor would you want to. 

Edited by Jograves

Couple of things that stand out to me:

The TAW guys have been decrying the fact we always seem to play at Soton and at Brighton during the winter. I guess they got their wish and can travel to the south coast during the warmer weather months. 

City plays Soton at home, away to us, and then home to Chelsea. The reverse is away to Chelsea, home to us and away to Soton. Our corresponding fixtures are away to Villa, home to City, and then away to Palace. The reverse fixture is home to Palace, away to City, and then home to Villa. Really? You mean a computer did it that perfectly?

Selfishly, the opening day of hunting season has had a big fixture the last few years. Last year was at Arsenal. This year is away at Villa. I won't be as irritated sitting in the deer stand not being able to watch. 

1 minute ago, Jograves said:

Couple of things that stand out to me:

The TAW guys have been decrying the fact we always seem to play at Soton and at Brighton during the winter. I guess they got their wish and can travel to the south coast during the warmer weather months. 

City plays Soton at home, away to us, and then home to Chelsea. The reverse is away to Chelsea, home to us and away to Soton. Our corresponding fixtures are away to Villa, home to City, and then away to Palace. The reverse fixture is home to Palace, away to City, and then home to Villa. Really? You mean a computer did it that perfectly?

Selfishly, the opening day of hunting season has had a big fixture the last few years. Last year was at Arsenal. This year is away at Villa. I won't be as irritated sitting in the deer stand not being able to watch. 

Every team had those same game weeks mirrored in reverse this season. 

Interesting that we end the season on the road. Been a few years since that last happened. Hmm...eyeing that West Ham match in February. That was the same time frame and opponent from my last pilgrimage. 

Edited by mdmost