What should I do before I leave Texas?

8 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Blues on the Green.  Unless it has turned douchey and crowded in the last 10 years since I've been.

No - it's super cool. Very old, mature crowd. No drunken teenagers or preeners in sight. After the show ends you can stop by Amy's Ice Cream and then all link up at the moontower. 

57 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The best Mexican food is the home made stuff.  So maybe go find a Mexican chick to marry.  

having dated a mexican chick for 10 years, i disagree with this. you will gain 50 pounds from going to 132 family or friend's BBQ's a year, 46 birthday parties a year, 28 baby showers a year, 2 quinceaneras a year, etc., but the mexican food is generally better at the restaurants. except for the tamales they make during the holidays. 

Edited by po elvis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Raw tortillas? Hahaha come on man. Just make them yourself. That is what I did when I lived in Brazil. It’s just flower, lard, salt and water.

but what if he likes corn?  you know, the superior tortilla. 

Just now, futureman said:

but what if he likes corn?  you know, the superior tortilla. 

Corn and flour each have their uses.  Beef and chicken fajita is better in flour.  Flour is better for many breakfast tacos.  Corn is far superior for seafood and pork.  And enchiladas.  

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Raw tortillas? Hahaha come on man. Just make them yourself. That is what I did when I lived in Brazil. It’s just flower, lard, salt and water.

Flower tortillas sound like they suck. I prefer flour or corn.

6 hours ago, workswithseed said:

The Denton Chuy's is just bad, I don't get the love it gets.

You've never lived someplace where "queso" is melted cheddar over tortilla chips. Have you?

Some of us have been in the shit.  Seen real suffering. Have you?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

what were you doing in brasil?

Finishing up my second bachelors at Texas through UNICAMP. My grandmother was Brazilian and I had always wanted to go with her to visit. She died in Honduras after I graduated college and when I closed my business in Austin I returned to school and moved to Brazil.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, alincoln said:

You can obtain passable BBQ outside of Texas.  The brisket doesn't measure up, but passable bbq is available.  Tex-Mex, on the other hand, is almost universally awful outside of Texas.

Having moved to Portland six weeks ago I have to say this is the godawful truth. Hit up every Tex-Mex place you can. 

And HEB. Man I miss HEB. Fred Meyer can kiss my ass.

Buy a fuck ton of tamales in San Antonio or in south Texas and freeze them. I like Delia's personally, but if you are going to San Antonio, I'm sure they have a lot of good places to buy them there.

I'd do something like go to Palo Duro Canyon and catch TEXAS the musical. That would be some cheesy goodness that would last awhile in my Texas soul.

Congrats on finally getting out of CS. I thought you were thinking of heading west but NC is pretty decent so I'm sure you'll be fine.

11 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I was going to say Big Bend too, but yeah it’s hot right now. However, going in the summer and staying at Terlingua Ranch Lodge is still a good time. I’ll be there this summer during a new moon, hopefully for some good astrophotography.

... It's been traveling twenty-two years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails. And you have to say. Call it.

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tortillas do get more difficult to make the further you get from the Texas/Mexico border. Notice the aggressive stance I had to take at approximately 4,750 miles. In the Carolinas it should be a little easier.

1Kqt3yUg_o.jpeg

Whoa, whoa, whoa, wtf is going on here? 

imgur>

A non stick and and a spatula?  Use a comal/skillet and your hands man!  I bet you make seafood chili don't you? 

A non stick and and a spatula?  Use a comal/skillet and your hands man!  I bet you make seafood chili don't you? 

I did use my hands. This was just a photo of me fuckin around while making them. As for a skillet, I didn’t have one in Brazil. I moved into a a “república” which is already furnished. I used whatever cookware was there. Tacos were made nearly 5000 miles from the mouth of the Rio Grande, that is all that matters.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2019 at 10:38 AM, Smax said:

Tex-Mex and Brisket, damn near impossible find a decent version of either outside of Texas

I can agree with this. I left Texas in 1995 and moved to Florida. Haven't found anything out here. In 24 years, I have yet to find anything on the East Coast that can match brisket and Tex-Mex from Texas.

Corn and flour each have their uses.  Beef and chicken fajita is better in flour.  Flour is better for many breakfast tacos.  Corn is far superior for seafood and pork.  And enchiladas.  

Second sentence is wrong. Agree with mostly everything else

On 6/3/2019 at 3:48 PM, Deej said:

Chuy's is bad here. I can't imagine what it's like in North Carolina. 

Oh, and don't forget to visit the basement of the Alamo before you leave. 

The Chuy's in Columbus, Ohio food is the same as the Chuy's on Barton Springs. 

There are plenty of Hispanics in NC these days running Mexican places. They'll be a bit more taco truck than Tex-Mex. If you walk in and Mexican league futball/soccer isn't on the TVs leave and find a place were it is.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 4:38 AM, burntorangebongos said:

Buy a fuck ton of tamales in San Antonio or in south Texas and freeze them. I like Delia's personally, but if you are going to San Antonio, I'm sure they have a lot of good places to buy them there.

We get our Christmas Eve tamales shipped from Pittman Davis in The Valley. They won't show up on the website until November. https://www.pittmandavis.com

Also have been known to have Snow's or Black's shipped in the middle of winter when tending the smoker would be in sub zero temps. Not a RTP issue. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

The Chuy's in Columbus, Ohio food is the same as the Chuy's on Barton Springs. 
There are plenty of Hispanics in NC these days running Mexican places. They'll be a bit more taco truck than Tex-Mex. If you walk in and futball/soccer isn't on the TVs leave and find a place were it is.

That doesn’t always work out like you hope. While living in DC I would eat at a spot next to the studio I worked at. Salvadoreños offering Mexican and Tex mex dishes. Was awful. You need bonafide tejanos or Mexicans who spent time in Texas cooking that good stuff.

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That doesn’t always work out like you hope. While living in DC I would eat at a spot next to the studio I worked at. Salvadoreños offering Mexican and Tex mex dishes. Was awful. You need bonafide tejanos or Mexicans who spent time in Texas cooking that good stuff.

Why I said more taco truck than Tex-Mex.  Still beats the hell outta of gringo-Mex.  One of the first places we tried in the MidWest the server asked if we'd like to try their famous quaysa sauce. It took me a good 45 seconds to realize she was trying to say queso.

If you’re starving for brisket, drive 2-1/2 hours up to Richmond, VA and eat at ZZQ.  It’s owned by a Texan and is legit fantastic central Texas BBQ.

As for last things to do in Texas - West Texas road trip - Big Bend, Balmorhea, Davis Mountains, and Alicia’s in Alpine.

• Like 1