Ford v. Ferrari

This looks much better than I expected it to. Looking forward to it. But I'll probably be watching it the whole time thinking McConaughey woulda been a better Shelby.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wood said:

This looks much better than I expected it to. Looking forward to it. But I'll probably be watching it the whole time thinking McConaughey woulda been a better Shelby.

No doubt.  Although Matty M woulda hammed it up a little more than Matty D, I think.

In the trailer, the accent doesn't sound TOO awful.  At least he's not doing a deep South/Georgia type of accent instead of a Texan one.  Hollywood pulls that crap all the time.

Overall, I'm definitely in.

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

No doubt.  Although Matty M woulda hammed it up a little more than Matty D, I think.

In the trailer, the accent doesn't sound TOO awful.  At least he's not doing a deep South/Georgia type of accent instead of a Texan one.  Hollywood pulls that crap all the time.

Overall, I'm definitely in.

Yeah I think Damon does a pretty decent job with the Texas accent.  He did basically the same accent in True Grit.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As long as half the run time is cars going fast. I’m cool with telling the masses about Carroll Shelby, Henry Ford jr, and ken miles and their Italian counterparts, but show the racing. 

Yeah so many people criticized Newman & Le Mans for the poor plot & concentrating too much on the racing action. Well, yeah, the plot sucked, but that was only when they left the on-track action to include the romantic angles for the chicks. If this one has even half as much racing and it's even half as good at  capturing it, I'll be more than happy with it.

In on this. Bale & Damon look like solid picks for the parts (how the fuck did Bale lose that much weight from playing Cheney, btw). At a minimum, I expect it to be a shitload better than Rush, the Howard/Hemsworth tale about James Hunt's F1 championship. But an iPhone video of rush hour traffic on mopac is probably better than that mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

In on this. Bale & Damon look like solid picks for the parts (how the fuck did Bale lose that much weight from playing Cheney, btw). At a minimum, I expect it to be a shitload better than Rush, the Howard/Hemsworth tale about James Hunt's F1 championship. But an iPhone video of rush hour traffic on mopac is probably better than that mess.

Yeah Rush was a big disappointment.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:34 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I hope there's a scene in there somewhere with Carrol betting somebody they can't grab the hundred dollar bill he's taped to the glove box of a 427 COBRA during acceleration.  Never really knew if that was myth or not.

The fucking nuts thing to me is that there are a couple of dozen pretty pedestrian (~50k) passenger cars, including Cadillacs, that will whoop (fractions of a sec) a Shelby AC Cobra 0-60 and in the quarter.  Super-type cars will blow its doors off (entire seconds).  And it's mostly done with eeeelectronics.  And fucking 8-9-10 speed trannies.

I never would have guessed a free-breathing 400+ci V-8 in a light chassis would be smoked by 100-200ci 4s and 6s.  Even with turbos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The fucking nuts thing to me is that there are a couple of dozen pretty pedestrian (~50k) passenger cars, including Cadillacs, that will whoop (fractions of a sec) a Shelby AC Cobra 0-60 and in the quarter.  Super-type cars will blow its doors off (entire seconds).  And it's mostly done with eeeelectronics.  And fucking 8-9-10 speed trannies.

I never would have guessed a free-breathing 400+ci V-8 in a light chassis would be smoked by 100-200ci 4s and 6s.  Even with turbos.

Cobra held the 0-100-0 record for a long time didn’t it?

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Cobra held the 0-100-0 record for a long time didn’t it?

Yep. Take that old Cobra, give it the modern tech that makes those big V sedans etc go so quick, and it would do scary things...

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Modern electronic traction control is a pretty big part of it as well I believe.

Yep, that's what I'm saying. TC, modern ECUs, & a whole bunch of other things add up to a massive difference. Those Cobras were doing it on just being super light with lots and lots of raw horsepower. Get all that under control via modern means and what it could do would be nuts.

Edited by wood

Yep, that's what I'm saying. TC, modern ECUs, & a whole bunch of other things add up to a massive difference. Those Cobras were doing it on just being super light with lots and lots of raw horsepower. Get all that under control via modern means and what it could do would be nuts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cobra

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette-z06-sports-car

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/corvette-z06/specs

Dunno. Turn the traction control off and I think the Z06 will win.

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 11:19 PM, TwiceHorn said:

csb, I had an 84 Dodge Shelby Charger 2.2 and there were very few cars that could beat me in a street quarter. When they did it wasn't by much. It only had 110 hp but didn't weigh much. Front wheel drive helped tremendously on takeoff. 

And yes, I'm definitely watching this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 7:51 PM, RPM said:

csb, I had an 84 Dodge Shelby Charger 2.2 and there were very few cars that could beat me in a street quarter. When they did it wasn't by much. It only had 110 hp but didn't weigh much. Front wheel drive helped tremendously on takeoff. 

I remember those things.  They were kind of the Lancer/WRX of their day.

I didn't realize they only had 110 hp.  Of course a Z28 of the day had about 190 out of a 305.  Sad.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:51 PM, RPM said:

uh huh.  Is that thang turbocharged?

Been watching some of Matt Damon's interviews promoting the movie and heard him say there is absolutely no CGI. All the wrecks and stunts were live action, old school stuff. Not sure if I can be any more excited to see this.

Say what you will about Enzo - that crusty old bastard inspired a hell of a lot of amazing cars, even when he was acting like a selfish prick.  Think about it, not just his own name brand but the Fords and Lamborghinis.

Fuck yeah I'm seeing this, even the wife is stoked about seeing it.

• Like 1