Room Air Conditioner

Our new house has a small room upstairs that was built into the attic. It runs warm even though it has two AC ducts feeding into it. Likely not enough insulation and/or inadequate ducting. That said, I’d like to put a stand-alone room cooler up there to fire up as needed. But there’s no windows so as far as I can tell I can’t use something like this because they require a window duct. Any other suggestions? It’s about 300 sq ft.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Sovereign-350-sq-ft-115-Volt-Portable-Air-Conditioner/1000241563

Yeah, if you get a portable A/C's (as opposed to in-window units) only need a small hole cut somewhere to vent warm air - better than an entire window (hole).  Many of them evaporate the water through the exhaust hose, so no need for a drip outlet.  Probably worth it for that $$.

First you should have an A/C guy come out and see if they can rework some of your duct work.  

https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/products/indoor-units/wall-mounted-heating-and-cooling

If this is a long term solution you are seeking, you might want to look into something like this.   You might pay a tad more for this vs the Lowe's one you noted, but it might help avoid some pitfalls down the road.

I've seen these in buildings as an alternative to an HVAC.  Especially out of the USA where HVAC can expensive like Mexico and  the Caribbean and where the locals don't mind going without A/C, but they know we spoiled Americans demand it.  

Mini split systems are great.  I have a 1 compressor / 3 wall unit model in my deer lease mobile home.  The a/c works great and the heat does,  as  well.  I did not get the Mitsubishi and wish that I did.  I got a Comfort Air installed.  It performs well with the only draw back being the blower roller is an act of congress to remove and clean.  The Mitsubishi models all have a set screw on one side of the blower roller and three screws on the other and is very easy to remove and clean.

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Lighten up, Francis. 

Francesco ("the Frenchman" in medieval Italian)[5] was the name given to Saint Francis of Assisi (born Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone) by his francophile father,[6] celebrating his trade with French merchants. Due to the renown of the saint, this Italian name became widespread in Western Europe during the Middle Ages in different versions (Francisco, François, etc.). However, it was not regularly used in Britain until the 16th century as Francis.[7]

The name of France itself comes from the Germanic people known as the Franks; the origin of their name is unclear but is thought to mean "free".

The characteristic national weapon of the Franks was the francisca, a throwing axe.

• 2 years later...

bump

i want a miracle device

not an evaporative cooler so no water tank

no condensation

no drain hose

no exhaust / heat dump hose

dehumidifier function

powerful fan that disperses and spreads cooled air to the ceiling in the directions i want and won't blow stuff off shelves in the directions i don't want the air to go

affordable 5+ hour battery packs

bueller?

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What would y’all recommend for a garage? I was thinking a window unit might work. 

Are you enclosing the garage for an extra room? Window unit is probably your best bet for the short term    You might want to look at one of those portable systems that are easy to move so the you can secure the window if not using it for awhile.  Windows with A/C units can be good entry points for thieves.  

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Are you enclosing the garage for an extra room? Window unit is probably your best bet for the short term    You might want to look at one of those portable systems that are easy to move so the you can secure the window if not using it for awhile.  Windows with A/C units can be good entry points for thieves.  

The plan is to use it as a home gym, and park one of the cars in there. I don’t want the garage door open while I work out in there. Too much foot traffic. 

There is a hedge near the garage window that would conceal the a/c unit from the street on all sides. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The plan is to use it as a home gym, and park one of the cars in there. I don’t want the garage door open while I work out in there. Too much foot traffic. 

There is a hedge near the garage window that would conceal the a/c unit from the street on all sides. 

This would probably be a good investment to use elsewhere in the house if needed.  I'm thinking about getting one for the day when my Central A/C poops out on a weekend  or holiday and can't get it fixed right away.  Or while I still live down here on the coast, I can plug in to a portable generator and keep one room cool if we have a prolonged power outage thanks to a tropical event.   My neighbor had to bring his portable out this weekend due to his Central  A/C going out and it kept his sizeable living room cool.  It wasn't  this exact one, but something similar that he bought at Wal Mart.

https://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LP1419IVSM-portable-air-conditioner/reviews

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2019 at 8:31 AM, HiggyBaby said:

Our new house has a small room upstairs that was built into the attic. It runs warm even though it has two AC ducts feeding into it. Likely not enough insulation and/or inadequate ducting. That said, I’d like to put a stand-alone room cooler up there to fire up as needed. But there’s no windows so as far as I can tell I can’t use something like this because they require a window duct. Any other suggestions? It’s about 300 sq ft.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Sovereign-350-sq-ft-115-Volt-Portable-Air-Conditioner/1000241563

One bedroom in my old house was always hotter than the rest. Simply adding a return vent to that room was quick and easy and improved the circulation enough to make a significant improvement. The AC unit was plenty adequate, it just didn’t have the pressure differential to push air into that particular room without the return.