Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

So did you hike down the middle of the river?  I thought it was private property on both sides.

Yeah. Talked to the sheriff’s office a month back. He said if we stayed in the river we are good. It was a long, difficult hike with a few long stretches of swimming. But absolutely worth it. Water level was just right as all 4 waterfalls were flowing fast. I put more pictures in the photo thread in hobbies.
  • Like 1

That is absolutely fantastic.    And the Blanco?  Wow!

As I was saying in the photo thread, pictures really don’t do the place justice. One of the most beautiful places I have been. Just had this shit eating grin on my face the whole time and hated to leave. I wish my GoPro wouldn’t have shat the bed. Glad I got some good shots with my camera and phone.

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

As I was saying in the photo thread, pictures really don’t do the place justice. One of the most beautiful places I have been. Just had this shit eating grin on my face the whole time and hated to leave. I wish my GoPro wouldn’t have shat the bed. Glad I got some good shots with my camera and phone.

I guess I didn't realize the Blanco could be so picturesque?   I'm only familiar with it from driving over  or near it in several locations in the Hill Country and I guess it gets somewhat lost to Guadalupe and of course the Frio in rivers I associate with the Hill Country because that's what I see on social media feeds, etc.     I've seen some pretty cool pics of the Devils River as well up near Del Rio and the Medina River has some great spots too.    Even the Nueces up north of Uvalde is kind of Frio like when the source region has been recharged with a good rainy season.   Memo to self:   Go explore the Blanco.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

I guess I didn't realize the Blanco could be so picturesque?   I'm only familiar with it from driving over  or near it in several locations in the Hill Country and I guess it gets somewhat lost to Guadalupe and of course the Frio in rivers I associate with the Hill Country because that's what I see on social media feeds, etc.     I've seen some pretty cool pics of the Devils River as well up near Del Rio. Memo to self:   Go explore the Blanco.

So along the long 7.5 mile hike from where we started to the narrows there were several beautiful places. One in particular, about halfway, is the confluence of the Little Blanco and Blanco. Cliffs ranging from 40-70’ and a great swimming spot with large boulders to jump off of. Spring water leaching out of the limestone and ferns growing on the walls. But, even those spots were no comparison for the Narrows. I was awestruck. I’ll try to post some videos later, but cruise over to the photo thread to see a bunch more shots.

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So along the long 7.5 mile hike from where we started to the narrows there were several beautiful places. One in particular, about halfway, is the confluence of the Little Blanco and Blanco. Cliffs ranging from 40-70’ and a great swimming spot with large boulders to jump off of. Spring water leaching out of the limestone and ferns growing on the walls. But, even those spots were no comparison for the Narrows. I was awestruck. I’ll try to post some videos later, but cruise over to the photo thread to see a bunch more shots.

Where about on a map can I find this?   I'm going up that way in two weeks and I'd like to see if I can accommodate this.  

56 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah. Talked to the sheriff’s office a month back. He said if we stayed in the river we are good. It was a long, difficult hike with a few long stretches of swimming. But absolutely worth it. Water level was just right as all 4 waterfalls were flowing fast. I put more pictures in the photo thread in hobbies.

This is something I've wanted to do for a number of years.  I'd read that they had made no parking zones along the road where you are to start the hike at the bridge.  Maybe you should start a thread in the secret forum or somewhere, but i'd be interested in knowing the logistics of your trek, and if you ran into any of the landowners or local barney fife types.

Amazing pics.

30°03'19.1"N 98°17'12.7"W
coords are on yelp for blanco narrows, not like it's a secret.

I too would be interested in details of this Blanco Narrows you speak of.

Exactly, it’s not really a state secret. Several people are asking me about it, so maybe I will write up a short guide tonight. I trust (not sure why) most of y’all on this board to be good folks and outdoors enthusiasts that this place won’t get raped. It’s not like y’all are aggy. Well, most of y’all anyways.

30°03'19.1"N 98°17'12.7"W
coords are on yelp for blanco narrows, not like it's a secret.

I too would be interested in details of this Blanco Narrows you speak of.

Exactly, it’s not really a state secret. Several people are asking me about it, so maybe I will write up a short guide tonight. I trust (not sure why) most of y’all on this board to be good folks and outdoors enthusiasts that this place won’t get raped. It’s not like y’all are aggy. Well, most of y’all anyways.

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was just thinking maybe it should be posted somewhere that isn't indexed for the internet at large, but i guess there's a lot of info out there already.  I would think that anyone willing to take the legal route in the riverbed is not going to be the type to disrespect nature and  ruin it for everyone else. 

Anyway, thanks for posting.

I was just thinking maybe it should be posted somewhere that isn't indexed for the internet at large, but i guess there's a lot of info out there already.  I would think that anyone willing to take the legal route in the riverbed is not going to be the type to disrespect nature and  ruin it for everyone else. 
Anyway, thanks for posting.

Yeah, I am a bit conflicted about posting the info. I might have what’s his face yank it. But like you said, most of the info is out there already. Hell, it’s on google maps.

Meh, temps gettin' back down into the lower 90's by the weekend, will stay there for 4-5 days with rain a good chance at least a few of them.  If it does make it to 100° today (which we'll see, definitely not everywhere), it'll be the first one all summer (officially for Austin, though it's reached it other places).  Then a slight cooldown to normal, even below normal temps for this date.  So that'll take it nearly to the end of June before 100's come in.  Not a bad early summer so far.

If the blast furnace is on, they're just testing it out the next day or two.  But it's not going to fire up at least until July - I'll take it.

Oh, yeah the humidity is above average for us right now, due to all the earlier rain (wet ground) and somewhat less than average temps so far.  But it makes it feel worse - heat indexes up near 109°.  But it's not the dry baking heat that kills everything.

The furnace could be lit up for good in a week or so, but even so it's been definitely a less than hotter late spring for us so far.  Even today when it feels like shit, temps aren't what they have been a lot of the last 10 years.

I keep some Gatorade cold in my fridge during the summer for my mailman and the FedEx and UPS drivers.  Usually they'll say thanks but no thanks. Today the mailman and FedEx man where ecstatic to get it.  Mailman looked like he was gonna pass out.