Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

39 minutes ago, gurt said:

My weather app says a dew point of 83. That’s got to be close to record for Austin, right?

Probably not, but yeah, it's pretty unusual this time in June to have such high dewpoints.  Lotsa rain did the trick last month.  Ground is actually still pretty wet, or at least not crack-dry as it's been a lot of the last 10 years by June 20.

What the fuck just happened outside?  It was miserably hot at 2:30p.  But went out again here at 4:30p and it's shoved Austin up the ass of an obese southeast Asian man  and set it on fire.  

Yup, only got to 97°, so still no 100° day officially yet in Austin.  And temps after tomorrow will go back down to normals (low 90's), so that'll take us into 2007 territory for the "coolest" start of the summer in at least the last 50 years.  Tomorrow is one more shot to get triples, and that could do it, but it's been forecast to be less hot than today anyway (96°).

Definitely a paradox - things feel extra shitty outside because of the high humidity/dew points.  But the temperature is really not all that high.  This is because the ground is so wet/moist, and the plants are all green and watered now, which is a pretty good stretch into the summer so far.  Of course we could have a 2014 when temps started out mild but finished with a lot of 100's in July and August, but even if that happens, we're in good shape.  Plus our drought monitor is in pretty decent shape right now.

Yes it's a beatdown to experience these very uncomfortable conditions, but as far as resources/nature/droughts goes, things are actually pretty good - shitty humid weather and all.

Happy Summer Solstice!

The earth will be exactly in the position where the northern hemisphere is precisely facing the sun at the maximum point possible, about 23.4437503832 degrees.  Here is again a simple explanation of the calculation of the tilt of the earth:

Annual almanacs are published listing the derived values and methods of use. Until 1983, the Astronomical Almanac's angular value of the mean obliquity for any date was calculated based on the work of Newcomb, who analyzed positions of the planets until about 1895:

ε = 23° 27′ 8.26″ − 46.845″ T − 0.0059″ T2 + 0.00181 T3

where ε is the obliquity and T is tropical centuries from B1900.0 to the date in question.[18]

From 1984, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory's DE series of computer-generated ephemerides took over as the fundamental ephemeris of the Astronomical Almanac. Obliquity based on DE200, which analyzed observations from 1911 to 1979, was calculated:

ε = 23° 26′ 21.448″ − 46.8150″ T − 0.00059″ T2 + 0.001813 T3

where hereafter T is Julian centuries from J2000.0.[19]

JPL's fundamental ephemerides have been continually updated. For instance, the Astronomical Almanac for 2010 specifies:[20]

ε = 23° 26′ 21.406″ − 46.836769 T  0.0001831 T2 + 0.00200340 T3 − 5.76″ × 10−7 T4 − 4.34″ × 10−8 T5

These expressions for the obliquity are intended for high precision over a relatively short time span, perhaps ± several centuries.[21] J. Laskar computed an expression to order T10 good to 0.02″ over 1000 years and several arcseconds over 10,000 years.

ε = 23° 26′ 21.448″ − 4680.93″ t − 1.55″ t2 + 1999.25″ t3 − 51.38″ t4 − 249.67″ t5 − 39.05″ t6 + 7.12″ t7 + 27.87″ t8 + 5.79″ t9 + 2.45″ t10

where here t is multiples of 10,000 Julian years from J2000.0.[22]

Yeah, yeah, I know, we don't need to go over it again.

Anyway, now the days start getting shorter... and shorter... and darker... and bleaker.... and colder... and OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!  Each day is a small chip of night, death, and suffering, until our precious daylight almost dies completely, but then finds yet another gasp in December.  But... that's winter.

So what are your plans on the longest day of the year?  Whatever they are, enjoy them, because now darkness, death, pestilence, and suffering begin.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

PhD, anyone. . . why has the blast furnace been turned off?  It looks like highs around 90 for the foreseeable future.  Is the world ending?

So you just decide to give it the middle finger? Why not just disconnect your AC unit? Don't tempt fate! JFC....

25 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

PhD, anyone. . . why has the blast furnace been turned off?  It looks like highs around 90 for the foreseeable future.  Is the world ending?

Let's all pretend it's normal. Maybe it will stay around a while if no one freaks the fuck out 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

So you just decide to give it the middle finger? Why not just disconnect your AC unit? Don't tempt fate! JFC....

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Let's all pretend it's normal. Maybe it will stay around a while if no one freaks the fuck out 

So we can't talk about it on the summer weather thread?  I thought we were sharing here, in the trust tree.   

• Like 1

Blastfurnace got drunk last week with the 97F/115Fheat index.  He's taking a nap.  

However, this reminds me of 2010 a little bit.  Rained quite a bit that summer, then we had the next 3 summers which were beyond horrific.  We'll know come fall/winter if we don't get our normal late year rains.  

15 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Blastfurnace got drunk last week with the 97F/115Fheat index.  He's taking a nap.  

However, this reminds me of 2010 a little bit.  Rained quite a bit that summer, then we had the next 3 summers which were beyond horrific.  We'll know come fall/winter if we don't get our normal late year rains.  

Ah yes, the summer of 2011.    What a memorable and hot time it was.    That was the summer we had a tropical storm pop in the Gulf that looked like it was going to bring us some rain and relief from the 105 degree plus temps and because the high pressure was so intense over the state, the storm littlerly dissipated as it hit the coast.   All the weather experts and historians around here had never seen anything like it.   They noted it occurs  in places like the Arabian Gulf and other desert environments,  but never here until Don .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Don_(2011)

I hate to say it, but we are about due for another dry and hot summer or a series of them.   The upside is they do keep storms out of the gulf and humidity levels lower.    And if we did have one next year, we now have plenty of water in the state reservoirs to see us through at least one summer of dry and heat.    Get into a year two or three of an extended drought on top of the population growth since the last real bad one we had in almost ten years ago, we might have some serious water supply issues.     Time to start really focusing in on the Desal projects for water on the coast to ship up state and anywhere else it's needed.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Easy... and absolutely the reason:

giphy.gif

More later (I've been traveling the past few and am leaving this weekend for a suicide trip to the Dominican Republic - well not really, but down there in the islands, mon!).  Hopefully the worst hurricane in 500 years won't pop up and drive a 2X4 up my ass.

Oh yeah, remember... it still hasn't hit 100° officially in Austin, and while one day next week looks borderline, there is no official 100° day in the next week's forecast.  Last time that happened:  2007, one of the wettest summers on record in Austin.

As for all that other stuff above, interesting discussion and of course could happen, but I don't see us going into a drought the next few years, I think we've sorta come out of one of those 10-year periods the past 2-3 years.  Doesn't mean though that it won't be hotter next summer... after all, duh, it's Austin.

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

High of 84 today and 93 Friday. I'll be drinking plenty of water if Im outside

93 is pretty damn bad for enduring minnesota winters.  If I had to put up with those winters, I'd want a refund for anything over 80 from June - September.  

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

93 is pretty damn bad for enduring minnesota winters.  If I had to put up with those winters, I'd want a refund for anything over 80 from June - September.  

Forecast for Duluth doesn't look too bad:

Wed
Mostly Sunny
82°
60°
Thu
Isolated Thunderstorms
77°
56°
Fri
Partly Cloudy
69°
56°
Sat
Partly Cloudy
73°
56°
Sun
Scattered Thunderstorms
72°
57°
Mon
Scattered Thunderstorms
71°
59°
Tue
Scattered Thunderstorms
73°
58°
Wed
Scattered Showers
73°
57°

35 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I grew up in the Midwest and it's a constant kick in the dick. I've been in warm/hot weather climate  for 20 years now, but I haven't forgotten the little windows of perfect weather you get every year there just to get knocked down again. Cold as fuck to hot and humid with about 2 months sprinkled in with beautiful weather. 

I will give people from Minnesota credit though; they don't let -20 or 90+ keep them inside. They make the best of it. 

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Easy... and absolutely the reason:

giphy.gif

More later (I've been traveling the past few and am leaving this weekend for a suicide trip to the Dominican Republic - well not really, but down there in the islands, mon!).  Hopefully the worst hurricane in 500 years won't pop up and drive a 2X4 up my ass.

This but also it doesn't seem like we're too far below average highs for late June.

I grew up in the Midwest and it's a constant kick in the dick. I've been in warm/hot weather climate  for 20 years now, but I haven't forgotten the little windows of perfect weather you get every year there just to get knocked down again. Cold as fuck to hot and humid with about 2 months sprinkled in with beautiful weather. 
I will give people from Minnesota credit though; they don't let -20 or 90+ keep them inside. They make the best of it. 
Dont let the moose out front fool ya....I'll take 90 over -30 any day. But we get about 7 months of comfortable/good weather....dec-March sucks and parts of july/Aug are miserable at times

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

This but also it doesn't seem like we're too far below average highs for late June.

True, but you know what else we haven't had this year?  Fluctuations in temps (i.e. 100° one day, 90° the next, 101° the next...etc.)  
Temps have risen to their season normals very gradually and the contour line has been very even, not like a roller coaster.  And for most of the next 10 days, the forecast highs are under the norms.  You don't get that much in early July!

Of course it's felt shitty lately due to the high humidity, but that's because the ground is so green/healthy.  I suppose I'll take this over beatdown, dangerous baking dry Satanic hellish heat, it's easy to get out of the soup.

Avg. temp today is about 93°, about 94° by the weekend.

• Like 1

I'm working all week in Austin and the weather has been great. I like rain and there's been plenty of that. I wore a rain coat comfortably on Monday afternoon and the temp was 68 degrees with wind. I've lived in Houston/Austin my entire life and I've never had a day like that in June-August, ever. It was like 83 one August day in 2015 and I cut work and went fishing at our place in Galveston and that felt surreal, but this shit this week has been even better. I don't remember any other days in my life when it was easily below 90 during this time of year.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:32 PM, Neonmoon said:

This has been a pleasant June in Austin. The rain has really cut down the heat. There were multiple days of cool downs. Just crazy good. I know July and August are going to return to ass rape heat, but it was nice while it lasted

Careful bro - we can't talk about that here.  1st rule of blastfurnace thread.  

89 degrees in Anchorage, AK today. Crushed the all-time previous record of 85 set 50 years ago. I bet we officially break 90 within the next few days. 

Thank god for my basement and tower fans because I sure as hell don’t have AC up here. 

Edited by Girdwood

5 hours ago, Girdwood said:

89 degrees in Anchorage, AK today. Crushed the all-time previous record of 85 set 50 years ago. I bet we officially break 90 within the next few days. 

Thank god for my basement and tower fans because I sure as hell don’t have AC up here. 

The news I want out of Alaska, is when the first episode of Molly from Denali show up on the PBS kids app.   My kids are obsessed with it, thanks to all of the advertising.