2020 ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson

texifornia

I like how they keep that QB room filled. No more Mack Brown anxiety about the horrors of a QB controversy.
But he is an ATH? What else can he play?
With the new magic portal it will be difficult to keep any room filled for long, especially the QB room. But yeah, seems those days are over for now..

This is the one guy in this class I really wanted.
Don't care if he plays QB, RB, TE, WR, LB, he's going to be great.
I usually bust your chops here for fun to pick at you, but I agree. He was fun to watch last December on FSSW. It always seemed like he was the best guy on the field, so why is he 'only' a four star?

I'm way old enough to remember VY in HS and what he did. He's not that, and not remotely close. But, he has another season to improve. Everybody knew if VY went down in the playoffs JMHS would lose the next Friday.

Is he that guy?

56 minutes ago, markstanco said:
59 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:
Card ain’t going anywhere else. He was born to be a Longhorn, similar to Sam. 

Sam had no competition. This is way different.

It’s not. Card is all UT and he won’t flip just because of JQJ. He knew we’re after JQJ as a QB and has been helping recruit him.

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

I usually bust your chops here for fun to pick at you, but I agree. He was fun to watch last December on FSSW. It always seemed like he was the best guy on the field, so why is he 'only' a four star?

I'm way old enough to remember VY in HS and what he did. He's not that, and not remotely close. But, he has another season to improve. Everybody knew if VY went down in the playoffs JMHS would lose the next Friday.

Is he that guy?

Doesn't have a clean positional projection in college. Analysts haaate that. 

14 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Is having a borderline 5 star good? 

He's not borderline, he was the best player on the field in the title game featuring over half a dozen 5* caliber players including the "#1 player in the country". 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Is it crazy to think he would be a better running back than Evans? I know he is bigger. Do they have comparable times?

No. JQJ runs a 4.6. Evans put up some of the best testing numbers in the nation at a camp this spring.

JQJ is an incredible athlete, but he's taller, heavier, and slower than would be ideal for a RB. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I'm sure we can get him on the field in an 18-Wheeler esque set in short yardage to preserve Ehlinger/Casey Thompson. 

I could see it in a goal line package. Herman probably doesn't want to remove Sam otherwise because it takes away the ability to go hurry-up after a 3rd/4th-down conversion.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I could see it in a goal line package. Herman probably doesn't want to remove Sam otherwise because it takes away the ability to go hurry-up after a 3rd/4th-down conversion.

Short yardage situations? Offensively we won't see 3rd downs.. too many 60 yd plays for TD's

On 6/3/2019 at 6:17 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm gonna go ahead and predict that this guy is going to make Hudson Card one hell of a good receiver.

Let’s hope so, but remember, Card’s hands and the football are the same size whether throwing or catching.

Oh, and fuck yeah! Hook’em JQJ!

Edited by Wishbone

On 6/4/2019 at 9:59 AM, Longhorn94 said:

Is it crazy to think he would be a better running back than Evans? I know he is bigger. Do they have comparable times?

I thought Evans was a little overrated from playing weak competition until he completely fuckstomped the Lake Travis defense. Never seen someone do that to them. But then he had a quiet state title game, so I don’t really know what to think. JQJ could be great at a few different positions, but RB wouldn’t be one of them. You still can’t argue with Evans’ stats & testing numbers. 

And that doesn’t mean Evans is the better football player, just better at RB. 

8 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Antonio Brown has 9" hands. It's really not that big a deal for WRs unless they plan to one-hand every thing. 

Sarcasm given all the board discussion regarding his hand size. Not wringing my hands over it.

2 hours ago, Wishbone said:

Let’s hope so, but remember, Card’s hands and the football are the same size whether throwing or catching.

Oh, and fuck yeah! Hook’em JQJ!

He was a better receiver his SO year than QB his JR year, that was season that really made garret wilson because there were too many threats on the field at once.  Hands might be small but he had no trouble bringing the ball in and he's got real moves.  

Texas football going to be fun to watch over the coming seasons. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Perhaps this got posted in the catch-all 2020 Texas recruiting thread but thought it would be a nice bump here considering he's the last Texas commit playing in the state playoffs.

"You got a dog coming," said Jackson when asked about his message for Texas fans.

https://www.hookem.com/story/dotted-line-texas-commit-jaquinden-jackson-fans-got-dog-coming/

MCKINNEY — Texas is on the verge of signing one of the state’s best winners. Duncanville quarterback Ja’Quinden Jackson tortures defenses when he’s allowed in the game. He and his teammates are so dominant that the south Dallas powerhouse only needed him to play in three third quarters over the entire regular season.

Jackson is 39-2 as a starter dating back to his sophomore season. Both losses came in the playoffs, including the Class 6A Division I state championship game against Galena Park North Shore — a game that Jackson dominated for four quarters. The four-star dual-threat is set to sign with Texas on Dec. 18.

Texas commit Ja’Quinden Jackson accounted for five touchdowns in the playoff win over Southlake Carroll. (Mike Craven)

“You got a dog coming,” said Jackson when asked about his message for Texas fans. “There is nothing in my way that will stop me from what I want to be.” 

Only two games separate Duncanville from a state title after the Panthers knocked off Southlake Carroll to claim another regional championship. Jackson went 8-for-8 passing with 183 yards and two touchdowns. He added 129 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. 

“I’ve gotten a lot better passing. I had a perfect day throwing,” he said. “It’s about where we’re headed and what we’re doing.” 

Jackson finally played a full four quarters. It was the scare Duncanville needed, Jackson said. 

“It’s a good thing to be pushed. We needed that,” Jackson said. “It showed me that when times get hard, we won’t fold under pressure.” 

Duncanville isn’t shying away from the 2018 heartbreak when North Shore won on a last-second Hail Mary. Jackson and his teammates embrace the expectations and are in search of one piece of bling. 

“We’re still feeding off of last year,” he said. “We want to go get that ring.” 

It’s possible that Texas’ two quarterback commitments in the 2020 class will face each other for the Class 6A Division I state championship. Lake Travis’ Hudson Card returned from an injury last week to help the Cavaliers win the Region IV championship over Converse Judson. The next test is a rematch with North Shore, the team that knocked Lake Travis out of the playoffs in 2018. 

“It felt good to be back on the field,” Card said. “I just wanted to help my teammates.” 

Card and Jackson are the only members of Texas’ 17-player 2020 class remaining in the playoffs. Three 2021 commitments are also alive with the Denton Ryan duo of Billy Bowman Jr. and Ja’Tavion Sanders and Katy Taylor offensive lineman Hayden Conner.

Duncanville knocked out fellow UT commit Andrej Karic, an offensive tackle from Southlake Carroll. Prosper and offensive line commit Jake Majors fell to Rockwall. Karic and Majors are both participating in all-star games before closing the book on their prep careers. Majors is one of seven early enrollees expected in the 2020 class.

The early signing period takes place during the Texas state championship week. It begins Dec. 18 and lasts for 72 hours.