Paris-Normandy-?

HornPhD

My wife and I (plus kids, ages 9 and 12 next year) are planning on taking my parents to France next year (except to Canada and Mexico, they've never been outside the US). Right now, we're planning on 3-4 full days in Paris before heading to Bayeux to tour the D-Day sites for 2-3 days. 

The question is where to go next? Going back to Paris would allow us to not rush the first part of the trip; however, I'd love to visit Munich (1 day train ride). We could also go to London and visit one of our nieces. Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by HornPhD

The Churchhill is where we stayed, one of the favorite hotels there.   Bayeux has a great D Day museum not to be missed, and the restaurants are great.

Schedule a night on Mont. St Michel.  Google it. The kids will have a blast climbing all over the whole place.  It's an amazing 12th or 14th c. monastery surrounded by water.

When we go back for a second Normandy visit, one night will be spent on Mont. St Michel in one of the hotels and dinner.   You can do the Normandy beaches in a day, 2 days would get you some even  more in-depth history, but the kids would be D-dayed out after 2 whole days.  You can see Omaha, Utah,  Pont Du Hoc, the cemetery and several other pieces of the battle in one 8 hour very well guided tour.

You can schedule every tour, and transportation to Mont. St. Michel thru the Hotel Churchhill.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

WWI battlefield tour in the Flanders region of Belgium. 

My kids and I did this 2 years ago and they loved it. Tons of history. Ypres, Belgium is a good base. Hill 60 was blown up there, Private Adolf Hitler fought (allegedly) from trenches nearby, the Christmas Truce soccer match in no-man’s-land occurred near here too. All of these places can be toured within 1/2 hour of Ypres and the town itself is gorgeous. Hotels are very reasonable within blocks of the main square near the 700 year old Cloth Hall. Great food and patio restaurants and bars in the square.

Ypres is about 2 hours worth of trains from Paris through Lille. 

• Like 1

We toured those WW1 trenches in Belgium not far from Ypres. Pretty cool stuff. And some old school bunkers that soldiers lived in underground.

Didn’t take any trains this trip, just a Mercedes van with a driver. I love the fast trains when they are available on the route that works.

6 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I'm actually doing this trip at the end of August. (3 nights in Paris, 2 near Omaha Beach) If you want to do London, Flybe has daily service from Caen. A train to Munich from the North of France sounds awful.

Jesus Christ, this x 1000. That's insane. 

The real question is, how much time are you spending in your last stop? If it's just one day, then just find something cool in France on your way back to Paris. You could take the long way back to Paris and overnight in Chartres, for example. One day in London isn't worth the squeeze, if you ask me, especially for anyone who hasn't been there before. Everyone goes to Europe and falls in the trap of trying to see too much at once, enjoy the moment and enjoy France.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Jesus Christ, this x 1000. That's insane. 

The real question is, how much time are you spending in your last stop? If it's just one day, then just find something cool in France on your way back to Paris. You could take the long way back to Paris and overnight in Chartres, for example. One day in London isn't worth the squeeze, if you ask me, especially for anyone who hasn't been there before. Everyone goes to Europe and falls in the trap of trying to see too much at once, enjoy the moment and enjoy France.  

Yep, better to settle in to an area, and just hang with the locals.

Thanks for all the feedback. We're definitely adding a day/night for Mont Saint-Michel. After that, we have a travel day + 3 full days before flying back. My parents are >70 and my mother needs frequent stops when in a car, which is why I was looking at travel via train. This is likely the last chance my parents have to visit Europe so I want to maximize what they see vs. quality time with family. A train ride across France and Germany with my Dad would not be a bad thing. Especially with a bar car. My kids, wife, and Mom will have Wi-Fi, so they'll be set. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Revised our plans. Now, we’re doing Paris (5 nights)-Normandy (2-3 nights)-London (5-6 nights). 

I was able to reserve two different apartments in Paris (both offered free cancellation) and would like some input. Both places are equal in cost and the amenities offered (e.g., AC). One is a lot nicer and 700 yards from the Louvre and a 2 minute walk to a subway station. The other is plain (still nice) and about a 10 minute walk to a train station; however, it is across the street from Parc du Champ de Mars (Eiffel Tower) and has a large balcony with an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower. 

What’s the Surly preference? Other than which one has better nearby bars, which I need to research. 

Edited by HornPhD
Added info

Immediate access to the metro, and is nicer.    Hmmmmmmmmmm.............. decisions decisions......

Plus no need to remind the wife of erect things bigger than yours.  I sincerely hope one of the Normandy nights is spent on Mont. St Michel.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Also, while I haven't been to Paris in a few years, as I recall the area around the Eiffel Tower was easily the least interesting. 

I think it's primarily why Paris gets a rep as a rude city. The vendors who fleece idiot tourists around that area are rude as shit. I don't blame them, dealing with tourists all day would make anyone rude. 

Find a neighborhood bakery, walk in and use some simple French that you can learn on the flight over, and you'll find that people are pretty nice. 

• Like 1

I have stayed in both areas.  I prefer to stay in the 1st (Louvre), but have had good look in the 16th.  Both times I was in the 16th, I was near a Metro Station (First Trocadero, then Passy).  I think the people watching at La Coup D'Or right at the corner of rue Saint-Honore and rue du Marche Saint-Honore is some of the best in the city, and rue Saint-Honore is one of the best shopping streets in the city, if not the whole world.  I guess it all depends on what all you are doing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Will be in Paris for 3+ days in late October/early November.  I'm reading that even though All Saints Day (Nov. 1) is a national holiday, most of the stuff I'll be interested in (museums, points of interest, restaurants, shops, etc.) will stay open.  Anyone have a different experience?

virtually everything will be open on all saints day.  you're good for tourist stuff.  if you want to take out a home loan that day or get a french passport, you're screwed.

Will be in Paris for 3+ days in late October/early November.  I'm reading that even though All Saints Day (Nov. 1) is a national holiday, most of the stuff I'll be interested in (museums, points of interest, restaurants, shops, etc.) will stay open.  Anyone have a different experience?
I'm there October 31 through November 2 myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 8:57 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 8/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I'm there October 31 through November 2 myself.

Well, let's keep our fingers and toes crossed for good weather, shall we?  The Paris itinerary is currently as follows:

29th:  Arrive in the afternoon; boat tour on the Seine in the evening (any recs re: good tour companies?)

30th:  Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Tuileries, and whatever else we can cram in

31st:  Versailles

1st:  Currently open and accepting suggestions -- so much to see and so little time

2nd:  Fly home

Well, let's keep our fingers and toes crossed for good weather, shall we?  The Paris itinerary is currently as follows:
29th:  Arrive in the afternoon; boat tour on the Seine in the evening (any recs re: good tour companies?)
30th:  Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Tuileries, and whatever else we can cram in
31st:  Versailles
1st:  Currently open and accepting suggestions -- so much to see and so little time
2nd:  Fly home

Definitely hoping for good weather. Last time I was in Paris in early November, it was 60F, though it did shower that first day. Still, great weather for that time of year.

For a boat tour of the Seine, look at Viator to get some ideas. Usually, I just do a hop on hop off Batobus and make my own cruise out of it. We are toying with the idea of a champagne cruise this trip though.

Our plan is as follows:

October 31 - I arrive in London and head to my friend's place in Richmond. Around 2, we will head into Central London. We have tea and champers reservations at Searcy's from 3 -5, then we board the train to Paris. Once we get to Paris, staying at the Renaissance Republique in their Skyline Suite.

Dinner that night will most likely be at Chez Denise.

November 1 - I am going to be shopping and my friend will be drinking champagne. We will Du Pain and des Idees for some amazing pastries in the AM, then hit Rue Saint-Honore for my shopping. Late lunch at Montee, followed by MORE shopping (I have a list). Then that night, we are going to do some fancy get dressed up dinner and hit some cocktail bars.

November 2 - we are just going to tool around the city. Have lunch at Maison. A new place by the former Clown Bar chef. Then we train back to London late afternoon on the 2. We will meet up with friends for dinner.

November 3 - Sunday Roast or tailgating and the Houston Texans game.

November 4 - Fly home

On 9/4/2019 at 1:21 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Definitely hoping for good weather. Last time I was in Paris in early November, it was 60F, though it did shower that first day. Still, great weather for that time of year.

For a boat tour of the Seine, look at Viator to get some ideas. Usually, I just do a hop on hop off Batobus and make my own cruise out of it. We are toying with the idea of a champagne cruise this trip though. emoji41.png

Our plan is as follows:

October 31 - I arrive in London and head to my friend's place in Richmond. Around 2, we will head into Central London. We have tea and champers reservations at Searcy's from 3 -5, then we board the train to Paris. Once we get to Paris, staying at the Renaissance Republique in their Skyline Suite.

Dinner that night will most likely be at Chez Denise.

November 1 - I am going to be shopping and my friend will be drinking champagne. We will Du Pain and des Idees for some amazing pastries in the AM, then hit Rue Saint-Honore for my shopping. Late lunch at Montee, followed by MORE shopping (I have a list). Then that night, we are going to do some fancy get dressed up dinner and hit some cocktail bars.

November 2 - we are just going to tool around the city. Have lunch at Maison. A new place by the former Clown Bar chef. Then we train back to London late afternoon on the 2. We will meet up with friends for dinner.

November 3 - Sunday Roast or tailgating and the Houston Texans game.

November 4 - Fly home

You obviously have not put enough time in to your trip planning, slacker.

I've got to get a handle on where we'll eat dinner while in Paris.  Amsterdam is pretty much set.   

Got 2 days in Paris, 4 in Zurich(or basil), then 4 in Frankfurt in October with the family. 

Paris is just a token visit obviously, with the kids. 2 ten year olds in the louvre, worth it or skip it?  Other galleries or museums better suited for us?

recs for the other legs also would be appreciated. 

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Got 2 days in Paris, 4 in Zurich(or basil), then 4 in Frankfurt in October with the family. 

Paris is just a token visit obviously, with the kids. 2 ten year olds in the louvre, worth it or skip it?  Other galleries or museums better suited for us?

recs for the other legs also would be appreciated. 

The Muse'e D' Orsay. is an easily accessible museum with an amazing painting collection.   Easy to get in and out of.  

I'd suggest the Paris Army museum if you have kids, and want them to dig it.  All kinds of cool ass military  history there from the days of yore.  For kids I'd also think about the Catacomb tour. It's probably too much for a 2 year old though.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Noted. And it’s two 10 year olds. I doubt the wife could handle the catacombs tour but I’d love it. 

Everybody wins then. She can go hang in a cafe while you and the boys hit the catacombs.  it's a no brainer for a couple 10 yr olds. It would be highlight reel stuff for them.  It's smack dab in the middle of the city.