Chicken Roasting Tips

I love a good roast chicken, and I am starting to experiment with what technique will get me the best result.  I thought I would share my efforts, and hopefully others will share what works for them.

So tonight, I started with chicken 1.  First, I will need to get the same chickens for all my experiments.  So unless someone knows a good source for heirloom birds, I will go with the whole, pasture raised chicken from Whole Foods (with animal welfare ratings 4).  

Some of my common problems include meat that is too dry, or lacks the flavor of the skin, or something that cooked unevenly.

For experiment 1, I have stuffed the bird with herbs (thyme, lavendar, salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary), garlic, and lemon.  I have also rubbed the outside with this mixture, placing rosemary sprigs on the legs and sliced lemons along the breast.  I then wrapped this up and will let this sit overnight in the fridge.  

I am debating on cooking method.  Should I brown it first in the dutch oven before roasting?  

I am also already planning bird #2.  Will brine that one overnight.  That works perfectly for my fried chicken, so I am guessing that that would probably work well on a roast chicken as well.

don't forget to truss

definitely need to do the simple roast sooner rather than later:

1. Put a cast-iron skillet on a low rack in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Rub the chicken all over with the oil and sprinkle it generously with salt and pepper.
  2. When the oven and skillet are hot, carefully put the chicken in the skillet, breast side up. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees. Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the thigh reads 155 to 165 degrees.
  3. Tip the pan to let the juices flow from the chicken’s cavity into the pan. Transfer the chicken to a platter and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Carve and serve.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015812-simplest-roast-chicken

Edited by elfenix

Just now, Lat22 said:

I don't know if it's cheating, but I spatchcock every chicken I cook.  They usually come out perfect.

Spatchcock definitely helps with cooking the bird evenly.  Would have been my suggestion as well.  Also, removing the wishbone prior to cooking makes it much easier to carve the breast later.

39 minutes ago, immamac said:

I was just coming in here to recommend spatchcocking a marjnated bird. Probably going to end up with the best result. 

Yeah, I have done that in the past, and it has worked.  For those upthread that reocommended the Thomas Keller recipe, I have tried that too.  Also done the Waxman recipe.  

I still get varying results.  Trying to come up with something that puts all the pieces together.  

Getting crispy skin without drying out the bird is a bitch in my oven.  I've tried air-drying uncovered in my refrigerator overnight, I've tried witchcraft, I've tried purchasing at El Pollo Regio, and the last method has proved to be virtually foolproof.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

America's test kitchen...has done it a few times
First iteration called for making incision along backbone to let excess fat escape and poking a few holes in skin...also separating skin from chicken nd adding baking powder to salt rub to help dehydrate skin

Believe there current method calls for cast iron preheated and coat bird in olive oil after its dry...brown thighs in hot skillet while turning oven up to 450
Put skillet in oven for 30 mins when temp registers 120 turn oven off but leave bird in to continue cooking

Not exactly roasting a whole chicken, but lately I've been buying skin on/bone in chicken breasts then deboning. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt that's mixed with garlic, add cracked pepper sear skin side down in a cast iron skillet for three minutes, flip and cook for another three minutes. Then depending on what style/flavor I want to go with I'll add chicken stock to the pan, last night I added a couple of lemon slices and juice, a garlic clove, thyme and popped it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.

Take it out of the oven, remove the breasts and reduce the sauce slightly. It was fantastic and very easy.

14 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

...lately I've been buying skin on/bone in chicken breasts then deboning.

I hope it goes without saying that you're throwing the bones into the freezer for your next batch of stock.

Right?

ETA:  Also some dishes will require you to toss the skin as well. That also goes into the stock bag, or even better, into a frying pan to crisp up and render all that yummy chicken fat, (aka "schmaltz").

Edited by DoobieWah

Brine bird.  Spatchcock.  Separate skin and stuff with butter/herb/garlic.  Rub outside down with more butter/herbs/garlic.  Cook until the tediousness gets to you.  Go to HEB.  Buy rotisserie yard-bird and a case of beer.  Profit.  

14 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

I hope it goes without saying that you're throwing the bones into the freezer for your next batch of stock.

Right?

ETA:  Also some dishes will require you to toss the skin as well. That also goes into the stock bag, or even better, into a frying pan to crisp up and render all that yummy chicken fat, (aka "schmaltz").

I usually always keep the bones for stock, that's if the dog doesn't get a treat of chicken bones every once in a while.

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

For those suggesting rotisserie chicken from HEB, Costco rotisserie chickens are twice the size and half the price.  

Well...not quite "twice the size", not quite "half the price" and not quite as good.

But nice try counselor.

Another vote for spatchcocking. Not only does this give you maximum surface area for crispy skin, you can make stock from the spine, neck, giblets, and other parts removed during prep while the bird roasts.

Seasonings vary, but I always roast at 425 degrees for about an hour and 15 minutes. The result is an evenly cooked and supremely juicy yardbird. Of course, times and temps will depend on your oven.

I roast a chicken in this fashion once or twice every month. Here's an example I posted a month ago in the Shit I've Cooked Lately thread.

20190420-153620-Sharped.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

tried a thousand different ways ...best result I've ever come out with was from this episode of America's test kitchen ...so simple ...basically stick it in a cold oven 12 inches from the broiler and turn it on high ...

1, too close to home. 

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We have different definitions of broiler. 

Also, I put a broiler on your mom's bottom last night and there was easily 12 inches of space. Gave her the Test Kitchen chicken dance. 

You’ve never seen an oven with the heating element on the bottom and the broiler a separate drawer underneath? I’m assuming that’s what he’s talking about, because most of those only have 6 inches of space if that.

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

You’ve never seen an oven with the heating element on the bottom and the broiler a separate drawer underneath? I’m assuming that’s what he’s talking about, because most of those only have 6 inches of space if that.

Ah, yes, I have seen those. Not in a long time. I didn't know they still made them that way. 

On the old site, someone posted a roasted chicken thigh recipe that I continue to use. 

1. Rub some thighs with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

2. Put skin side down in a cold cast iron skillet and turn on the burner to medium.

3. Let it heat up and cook for about 10 minutes. Turn the browned thighs over, add thyme and lemon to the pan.

4. Put pan in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

Sometimes in step 3, I add some fingerling potatoes, carrots, and a pat of butter so they roast in the chicken fat. 

On 6/4/2019 at 10:04 AM, BabaYaga said:

Brine bird.  Spatchcock.  Separate skin and stuff with butter/herb/garlic.  Rub outside down with more butter/herbs/garlic.  Cook until the tediousness gets to you.  Go to HEB.  Buy rotisserie yard-bird and a case of beer.  Profit.  

Seriously, brine your bird.  I've had plenty of great chickens that weren't brined, and I don't brine mine all that often these days due to time constraints, but if you are really searching for a perfect method, you should at least try brining your bird a couple times.  

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

On the old site, someone posted a roasted chicken thigh recipe that I continue to use. 

1. Rub some thighs with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

2. Put skin side down in a cold cast iron skillet and turn on the burner to medium.

3. Let it heat up and cook for about 10 minutes. Turn the browned thighs over, add thyme and lemon to the pan.

4. Put pan in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

Sometimes in step 3, I add some fingerling potatoes, carrots, and a pat of butter so they roast in the chicken fat. 

That was me.  Love this recipe 

• Like 1

wildly overthinking it.  thoroughly clean and dry the bird inside and out.  truss the absolute shit out of it as tightly as possible.  salt, pepper, thyme.  place it directly on the roasting pan, do not use a rack.  475.  55 minutes-1 hour.  easy as that and consistent perfection.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:09 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I love a good roast chicken, and I am starting to experiment with what technique will get me the best result.  I thought I would share my efforts, and hopefully others will share what works for them.

So tonight, I started with chicken 1.  First, I will need to get the same chickens for all my experiments.  So unless someone knows a good source for heirloom birds, I will go with the whole, pasture raised chicken from Whole Foods (with animal welfare ratings 4).  

Some of my common problems include meat that is too dry, or lacks the flavor of the skin, or something that cooked unevenly.

For experiment 1, I have stuffed the bird with herbs (thyme, lavendar, salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary), garlic, and lemon.  I have also rubbed the outside with this mixture, placing rosemary sprigs on the legs and sliced lemons along the breast.  I then wrapped this up and will let this sit overnight in the fridge.  

I am debating on cooking method.  Should I brown it first in the dutch oven before roasting?  

I am also already planning bird #2.  Will brine that one overnight.  That works perfectly for my fried chicken, so I am guessing that that would probably work well on a roast chicken as well.

Dry salting will solve lots of this. Will def solve the dry issue, and also the cook evenly issue as your time strike zone gets bigger with dry salting. I do this with almost anything I roast in the oven, especially poultry. 

Cover bird with salt and dry herbs. Let sit uncovered and on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours. Take out 1.5 hours before cooking, let sit. Cook at 400 or 425 till thigh joint hits 165. Perfect every damn time. No need for any special techniques past the dry brine. 

I guess some people get weirded out putting a open air raw bird in their fridge. Only thing I can think if as to why its not more common. Science. Salt moves into all parts of the bird, takes other herb flavors with it. Makes very moist, delicious bird. Works damn good on a standing rib rack or leg of lamb too. 

good writeup here on the benefits of dry brining https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/dry-brining-complete-guide/

On 6/4/2019 at 10:39 AM, luke duke said:

Why don’t you just shove an ice pick up your dog’s ass and save it the trouble of chewing?

i'm #teamdog, but assuming the deboning is happening prior to roasting, it should be okay. never ever give roasted bones to dogs, but raw bones don't splinter the same way.