“for all mankind” - streaming this fall on apple+

henrygandorf

Ron D. Moore doing Man in the High Castle but 20 years later during the Space Race? 

Okay!  Joel Kinnaman is now a Hulu show away from the cycle (Hanna - Amazon; Altered Carbon - Netflix; For All Mankind - Apple TV+) 

• Like 1

Ron D Moore is amazing.  I'm rewatching BSG with the wife(for the first time) and just can't believe how far ahead of everything that show was.  It's so good.  If this is anywhere close to that, it'll be great.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Drew said:

Ron D Moore is amazing.  I'm rewatching BSG with the wife(for the first time) and just can't believe how far ahead of everything that show was.  It's so good.  If this is anywhere close to that, it'll be great.

thanks writers' strike!

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m in.

I’m a sucker for alt-history, period pieces, and Joel Kinnamon so this is catnip for me.

you sound like my sister, but her boxes are "time travel" and "romance" tied together with some sort of "mystery" element.

when the lakehouse came out she almost stopped breathing.

• Haha 1

It's probably gonna suck, but it's kind of a Red Dawn of space entertainment, so I'll probably watch it eating Chee-tos and drinking Orange Crush.
What for they rob the title of the fucking fantastic real documentary about Apollo done in 1989?  That one made me cry - uh, for the right reasons.

Still, this is better than some 4th-round rehash of Ghostbusters made into a series or some shit.  So why not?

• 4 months later...

Yea, it’s kind of shocking how badly some of these reviews are for Apple’s initial release of shows.  You would have thought a quarter of a trillion in cash reserves would have allowed them to money-whip any show script they wanted to ensure the launch was a successful one.  I guess not   

That said, I watched Ep. 1 of this show yesterday and really enjoyed it.  

On 11/1/2019 at 10:56 PM, TexasBuckeye said:

Watched episode one tonight. Loved it. Characters are well played. Alternate history where Russia lands on the moon first. 

We dropped Netflex because of the quality of shows. Added Apple tv today (7 day free trial) Lots of good shows, looks much better than Netflex

That’s a bold statement my friend. 

• Like 1

I'd seen the trailer for this a month back or so, but did not know about the female slant.  Ugh, another story that has to be up to the minute movement motivated.  How bout "Hey you went to the moon? So we're gonna go to fucking Mars man!"  It's all fiction anyways, 

so tired of this PC shit.  Can't wait for Indiana Jane.

3 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I'd seen the trailer for this a month back or so, but did not know about the female slant.  Ugh, another story that has to be up to the minute movement motivated.  How bout "Hey you went to the moon? So we're gonna go to fucking Mars man!"  It's all fiction anyways, 

Russians had a woman in space in 1963 - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_Tereshkova

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I was disappointed to see he’s in this. He’s a bad actor and made Altered Carbon unwatchable for me.

I think he did the best he could with an awful script for Altered Carbon. He's much better in this show. Much closer to his performance in the Killing which I enjoyed.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russians had a woman in space in 1963 - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_Tereshkova

Hey thanks captain history.  I've got a pretty good grasp of the space program.  Not men sitting around thinking shit up level, but decent.

Hey man nice shot, you landed on a gotdamn iron plate

On 11/6/2019 at 4:31 AM, mulletpelini said:

Image result for indiana jane

Better than Shia.

i finally watched the pilot, got to see my boy make his big speech.  that shit was intense.  it's been renewed but he's not going to be in s2, because he's playing chris kraft in "the right stuff" for nat-geo, along with patrick adams, aaron staton, jake mcdorman, and some other familiar faces.  they're in orlando shooting s1 right now.

i know we have some space race nerds on here like @RamjetFDO - you'll be happy to know they have it pitched as a 4 season show covering mercury/gemini/apollo.  starts in 2020.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 11:12 PM, F250 said:

Just finished the season. Uh, that was a pretty fucking good series.

Did anyone else end up finishing it?

I finished it.  I really liked it.  I think everyone should have a chance to get drunk on the moon.  I also finished The Morning Show and I liked it too, so maybe I just have low standards.  I'm running out of shit to watch I just resorted to watching the Warrior Nun on Netflix.

• Like 1

The moon scenes were great and I agree getting drunk on the moon would be awesome. Although I would probably lose my shit looking at earth in the distance.

The reflection shots of the astronaut visors in silence of space were pretty eery, especially the Soviet encounter.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

The moon scenes were great and I agree getting drunk on the moon would be awesome. Although I would probably lose my shit looking at earth in the distance.

The reflection shots of the astronaut visors in silence of space were pretty eery, especially the Soviet encounter.

Watching that Season 2 trailer, they aren't fucking around with the tension.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Watching that Season 2 trailer, they aren't fucking around with the tension.  

That was another thing about the series, the tension was convincing. There were numerous times where I had an "oh shit" moment throughout the season. Definitely better than the typical space movie where the situations are predictable.

When you need to "check back in" to history, Mission Control on Netflix is an excellent documentary movie (1.7 hours) on Apollo's Mission Control. Apollo was an amazing success for NASA. Houston worked problems well. (RIP Apollo I crew). 

Edited by washparkhorn

On 11/6/2019 at 2:31 AM, mulletpelini said:

I mean, the men of the show definitely weren't as interesting as the women, except for Gordo and Deke.  Cobb, Tracy and Danielle were obviously the best parts.  Joel Cinnamon definitely kinda was meh throughout. 

The gay/lesbian storyline - meh.  And that's coming from me.  Did like the Montrose namedrop, though! 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay... finally watched this.

Good story. Excellent visuals. Too much PC. Too many mistakes in orbital mechanics, spaceflight operations, Mission Control protocol and process...

Overall, I give it 6 maybe 7 out of 10. The story was good enough to keep me watching.

I'll most likely watch Season 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this over the past week and really enjoyed it. Great timing to finish last night with S2 starting today.

Somewhere upthread I was critical of Joel Kinnaman but he’s actually decent in this. Ed wasn’t necessarily my favorite character, but I think he played the part well.

I loved the scenes on the moon, especially the stand off with the Soviet cosmonaut. Lots of great tension.

My only minor gripe is that some of the NASA scenes at Mission Control seemed a bit unrealistic for the sake of TV drama. For instance, I don’t think that during the intensity of trying to sync Apollo 25 with Ed Baldwin they would suddenly pause to welcome the returning Apollo 24 astronauts into the Mission Control room and distract everyone from the highly critical task at hand, or have a room full of family members and a bartender with no security clearance watching. But that’s a minor gripe and not a big detractor.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still watching -- annoyed at tiny little details (ITEM 27 EXEC then OPS 202 PRO ... out of order dammit!) but overall enjoying it for what it is.  An episodic soap opera with a space background (just trying not to harp on the huge technical and operational holes there - and failing, obviously).

• Hook 'Em 1