Teenagers breaking into backyard

We are trying to sell a house that has a pool in the back yard.  It's an older house with an old fence.  The fence didn't have any locks on it until about 2 weeks ago.

At that time the realtor went by to show the house to someone and found the side gate open and 4 teenagers swimming in the pool, a pool that had been drained and covered up until a few days before this happened.  The realtor simply ran them off.  I'm pissed he didn't call the cops at that time.

After that locks were installed on the gate.  The teens have now broken 2 locks to get back there to swim.  We have found and had to clean out dozens of rocks that they have thrown into the pool.  We are scared that they will cause significant damage.  I've also been told that we are liable if any of them get injured while swimming even if they broke in.

So what can I do to stop this aside from sitting down the street and waiting for them to come?

Apparently the teens in question refilled the pool, so draining isn't necessarily the answer. I assume you want a quick resolution, so waiting for amoebic dysentery to do its work in a pool that's not properly chlorinated is out of the question.

My recommendation is to get cameras, and once you get notice that they're in, call the police. This is criminal trespass. Call the police every time they're found in there, and use the cameras to find them every time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, txhorns said:

We are trying to sell a house that has a pool in the back yard.  It's an older house with an old fence.  The fence didn't have any locks on it until about 2 weeks ago.

At that time the realtor went by to show the house to someone and found the side gate open and 4 teenagers swimming in the pool, a pool that had been drained and covered up until a few days before this happened.  The realtor simply ran them off.  I'm pissed he didn't call the cops at that time.

After that locks were installed on the gate.  The teens have now broken 2 locks to get back there to swim.  We have found and had to clean out dozens of rocks that they have thrown into the pool.  We are scared that they will cause significant damage.  I've also been told that we are liable if any of them get injured while swimming even if they broke in.

So what can I do to stop this aside from sitting down the street and waiting for them to come?

Stand Your Ground!!1!!

But seriously, You told you that you would be liable?

Have you called the police?  

Call and ask for the watch commander.  Explain the situation.  There's a chance that he'll let the street patrol cops know about it and they'll cruise by once in a while and listen for noise. 

Also, WTF kind of locks are you using that teenagers can "break"?   Get the fence properly secured.  If they climb over a functional fence to trespass and get hurt, I have a hard time believing that you'd have any liability.

Edited by Gil Bang

48 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Stand Your Ground!!1!!

But seriously, You told you that you would be liable?

In Texas kids can walk uninvited on your property, fall out of a tree injuring themselves, and get paid handsomely by your insurance company. It happened to one of my Austin neighbors.

Surely the Surly lawyers can confirm that scenario.

Can't drain the pool as that makes it harder to sell and hopefully we are closing on it later this month.  There is no internet as the house has basically been vacant for years.  The fence/gate are old and need to be replaced.  It wouldn't be too hard to break the lock off, which obviously has happened.  The police are patroling but not catching them.  I am going to start pissing and jacking off into the pool so at least they have to swim in that.

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

Piranha and or alligators.  No liability if there's no bodies....

If you have WiFi I'd get  one of these RING motion activated spot lights which allows you to speak to them as they are detected.  If you have cool neighbors, see if they will let you piggyback off their WiFi or split the cost with them.  I have the Ring doorbell and anytime someone walks up to my door, the app alerts me on my phone.    Anyhow use this and then use the two way audio and say they have 2 seconds to GTFO or your AR-15 is going to roll.  Or the attack Pit Bull is going to come out from the neighbors yard.  Or some other made up BS.

https://shop.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam

plant some pot trees in the back yard.  hide and shoot them dead with buck shot when they come into the backyard.  claim that they were thieving your weed.  

OR 

get a camera set up in the back yard.  capture their faces in the video.  put their shit on blast on Next Door, ask if your neighbors know who they are, and show video to cops with names of trespassers. 

Edited by crash_davis

35 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The biggest problem is that it sounds like these teens are bad ass. They cut off your puny locks and swim and throw rocks whenever they god damn well please. You putting cameras in or calling the cops isn't going to stop them. My advice is to leave them alone or get a new haircut and enroll at their high school and see if you can infiltrate their group. But it's not going to be easy because those teens sound cool as hell. 

30 rock hello GIF

• Like 4

The owners of private pools also owe invited guests, or licensees, a duty of care, although the duty is less extensive. The pool owner must warn licensees of hidden dangers, supervise children who are invited to use the pool, and provide an adequate barrier to prevent uninvited children from getting into the pool unsupervised.

If the fence is too shitty, it might not be deemed adequate.  In Dallas, we had to even make sure that gates would only open outwardly (less likely to be kicked in).  

#1 priority would be to keep them out of the pool so they don't drown and sue you.

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Can't drain the pool as that makes it harder to sell and hopefully we are closing on it later this month.  There is no internet as the house has basically been vacant for years.  The fence/gate are old and need to be replaced.  It wouldn't be too hard to break the lock off, which obviously has happened.  The police are patroling but not catching them.  I am going to start pissing and jacking off into the pool so at least they have to swim in that.

Don't worry.  The teenagers are already pissing and jacking off in the pool 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, txhorns said:

I've also been told that we are liable if any of them get injured while swimming even if they broke in.

You would.

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I always hear the urban legends about the trespasser/burglar suing the homeowner for injury, but never knew if it was true or not. 

It is.

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

If they climb over a functional fence to trespass and get hurt, I have a hard time believing that you'd have any liability.

Crazy, huh?

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

In Texas kids can walk uninvited on your property, fall out of a tree injuring themselves, and get paid handsomely by your insurance company. It happened to one of my Austin neighbors.

Surely the Surly lawyers can confirm that scenario.

Surly P&C insurance brokers confirm it as well.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

You would.

It is.

Crazy, huh?

Surly P&C insurance brokers confirm it as well.

It can be true. He knows he has an issue so he needs to do something to fix it. If they are teenagers that can help his liability as they should know better and aren’t little kids.