EPL 2019-20

Firemans4Horn

Premier League release statement strongly opposing UEFA’s Champions League plans

Spoiler

The Premier League has issued a statement strongly opposing the proposals from UEFA to significantly restructure the Champions League.

UEFA have been discussing a change to Europe’s elite competition that would guarantee the top clubs of their status in the competition regardless of where they finished domestically, as well as introducing a promotion and relegation system.

That could significantly help the ‘big six’ financially and with their status but it would widen the gap between those clubs and the rest of English football, which has led to UEFA’s proposals being opposed.

As such, the Premier League has issued a statement and made it clear that they are not keen to see any significant changes of this manner in the Champions League.

“The Premier League and our clubs today unanimously reaffirmed our strong opposition to the proposed reform of UEFA club competitions from 2024, which would alter the structure, calendar and competitiveness of league football,” the statement read.

“We believe the proposals, particularly the suggested format and qualification criteria, would be detrimental to domestic leagues across the continent.

“There was unanimous agreement that the domestic game should continue to be the priority for professional clubs, and any changes to the football calendar must respect the requirements of domestic competitions.

“Critically, qualification for the Champions League and Europa League must continue to depend on current domestic performance.

“The clubs have asked the Premier League to now work with UEFA, fans and other stakeholders across Europe, to identify constructive proposals which improve European club competitions without harming domestic football.

“Premier League clubs will represent these views at the European Club Association meeting in Malta on Thursday and Friday (6 and 7 June).”

Liverpool are the current holders of the Europe's premier cup competition after beating Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 on Saturday night.

Goals from Mohamed Salah and Divock Origi did the damage for Jurgen Klopp's side at Atletico Madrid's Wanda Metropolitano Stadium.

The victory ensured the Reds lifted the famous trophy for a sixth time in their history.

Yup....screw that auto qualification
You want in finish top 4 or win Europa

I dont see any reason to mess with the perfection that is CL

Only thing i would give them is if they wanted to eliminate all draws after assigning groups...could do it like WC were winner group A plays runner up of group B

Sets the bracket right at start and wont have fixed draw rumblings

29 minutes ago, yoladu said:

https://talksport.com/football/551275/aston-villa-points-deduction-premier-league/

Aston Villa could face points deduction in Premier League after suspected breach of Financial Fair Play rules

doubt it would happen, but semi-interesting.

Holy shit. This is the equivalent of Georgia/Alabama cheating their asses off and Middle Tennessee St. getting fucked.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maninblack said:

Holy shit. This is the equivalent of Georgia/Alabama cheating their asses off and Middle Tennessee St. getting fucked.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Villa violated FFP. The paid John Terry £70k/week last year and were paying Grealish the same amount this year. Several of the top Championship teams are losing a ton of money and are using loopholes (selling the stadium to a subsidiary company and leasing) to pass FFP.

Edited by Schulz2.0

As far as CL TV revenue it’s based on where you finished in the league last year, so that makes sense as far as CL split. But my mind is boggled that Europa league tv split is so high in relation to CL tv split. 
Gotcha...i was thinking it was like epl and factored in how many games you had on tv/main channels

I was going to start a new thread on this but I think I will get the help I need on this one.

Heading to London for the first time in August and as luck will have it I will be there for opening weekend.  

Want to see an EPL game.  Staying in central London.  Unless someone suggests otherwise, looking at West Ham-Man City on 8/10 at 12:30pm local time.  I don't want to have to travel outside of London so I think that is the play.

Any tips on tickets?  Stubhub?  And do I need to wear West Ham's colors or will I get killed?  Any tips greatly appreciated!

You have to be careful about resale tickets over there. Lots of scams. I would check on some West Ham fan forums and maybe you can find a pair on there. Not sure on StubHub. You don't have to wear West Ham colors but I'd grab a scarf around the stadium. The Spurs are taking on Aston Villa that day as well. You could definitely get some hospitality tickets. Pricey but a solid option. That's what I did for Liverpool back in 2018. 

West Ham also has hospitality tickets. Great for Americans but costs more. 

https://www.whufc.com/hospitality/club-london

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

Best bets are to pay the money to join the clubs fan membership, imo.

Only issue with that is a ticket like City will be hard to get. With my Liverpool membership, the only matches I can put in for are lower tier opponents (I mean the very bottom 3 clubs), friendlies and LFC Legends matches. A match like City on opening day will be snatched up pretty quick. 

On 6/5/2019 at 12:17 PM, Bone3421 said:

Yup....screw that auto qualification
You want in finish top 4 or win Europa

I dont see any reason to mess with the perfection that is CL

Only thing i would give them is if they wanted to eliminate all draws after assigning groups...could do it like WC were winner group A plays runner up of group B

Sets the bracket right at start and wont have fixed draw rumblings

How about only Champions get into the Champions League?

Qualification should require winning your domestic league in one of the last four seasons.

How about only Champions get into the Champions League?
Qualification should require winning your domestic league in one of the last four seasons.
*yawn* ....sure thats what uefa wants to do is lose money and go back to the old rules

So your in favor of the proposed changes where liverpool,city, manu, barca, real and everyone else is just given a spot automatically

32 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Who will go in England and France under your scenario when titles are vacated due to Ponzi scheme accounting?

This year it would just be Leicester. They've won a title since the Premier League started, you probably didn't notice.

Just now, Bone3421 said:

*yawn* ....sure thats what uefa wants to do is lose money and go back to the old rules

So your in favor of the proposed changes where liverpool,city, manu, barca, real and everyone else is just given a spot automatically

No, I said won a title in the last four years.

2 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Gotcha...so you dont have a valid opinion that will help uefa make more $ like they want..you want to limit the pool of teams so city can finally win one

At least he has punctuation.

6 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Gotcha...so you dont have a valid opinion that will help uefa make more $ like they want..you want to limit the pool of teams so city can finally win one

My opinion is pretty valid. I mean the name of the competition is Champions League. And they let non-champions in. Seems weird.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

My opinion is pretty valid. I mean the name of the competition is Champions League. And they let non-champions in. Seems weird.

I know what you mean. I hate that they don't let every team in the world play in the World Cup. Stupid qualifying.  

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I know what you mean. I hate that they don't let every team in the world play in the World Cup. Stupid qualifying.  

They do play in the World Cup. Qualification is part of the tournament. You're thinking of the World Cup finals. Common mistake.

3 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I know one champion that gets an autobid...THE CHAMPION OF THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

There are lots of champions that get autobids. Like Manchester City, Barcelona, Ajax, Juventus, etc. Not sure how you missed that. Do you guys follow soccer?