EPL 2019-20

Firemans4Horn

16 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I read some article from England earlier today where one of the contingency plans could be to postpone the Euro's until next year, and allow the club seasons to finish during that time.  However I have no idea how anything could reasonably be planned at this time.   

That makes the most sense, especially considering that the first match of the Euros is supposed to be in...Rome.

Everyone and their mother knows Liverpool won the league this season. 25 point lead with only 2 more wins to mathematically eliminate City. If it were a 10 point Liverpool lead then you could grant that the run out was in doubt. 

Edited by mdmost

They have to delay the season. It's silly. Who knows how many players have it now. Delay through some time in April, pick it back up then and just push the end since there's no Euro 2020. The reason you can't just shut down the season: relegation. You still have 3-4 teams fighting to stay up. You can't just drop the 3 that are there when they still have the mathematical chance to get out of the relegation zone. The only option is to let them all stay up. 

Just saw this:

Edited by mdmost

17 hours ago, mdmost said:

They have to delay the season. It's silly. Who knows how many players have it now. Delay through some time in April, pick it back up then and just push the end since there's no Euro 2020. The reason you can't just shut down the season: relegation. You still have 3-4 teams fighting to stay up. You can't just drop the 3 that are there when they still have the mathematical chance to get out of the relegation zone. The only option is to let them all stay up. 

Just saw this:

What if things get worse before they get better and they can't restart on April 3rd?

01) is it just a lost season? Same teams 20 clubs from 2019-20 play in 2020-21?

02) Do you award the title, the CL and EL spots, and relegation based on the table as it stands today?

03) Maybe possibly squeeze in an abridged season? 5 more games? 

04) how would a rescheduled PL season be coordinated with other Cups and Tournaments? (FA, CL, EL, etc.)

it's nightmare. I have questions!

I'd say option 2, but it could definitely lead to legal action from the bottom clubs. I haven't looked at their schedules, but it's certainly plausible that a bottom three team could jump up.

As bad as shit is in Europe right now, options 3-4 might not even be feasible. I don't blame them for buying time at the moment.

I think they'd more likely just not relegate or promote if the season can't be finished. Not sure on UEFA or Europa. That might be more up to the bodies of those organizations to choose the slots. Only Liverpool have qualified for UEFA from the EPL. It would be silly to not award the title to Liverpool but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Everyone knows Liverpool won it because everyone was saying they won it back in January. If it's aggy to say Liverpool can claim it, then whoop and we'll fashion our own EPL cup to hoist in August at Anfield. 

In all seriousness, I think the EPL will try to have something pick back up in April or May. But with how this is spreading, there's no rush. Obviously, this is bigger than football. I cringe a bit thinking of 60,000 fans all being around each other for the Atletico beatdown this week given how rapidly everything started shutting down. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I'd say option 2, but it could definitely lead to legal action from the bottom clubs. I haven't looked at their schedules, but it's certainly plausible that a bottom three team could jump up.

As bad as shit is in Europe right now, options 3-4 might not even be feasible. I don't blame them for buying time at the moment.

The more i think about Option #2 would be a legal nightmare. No team has mathematically been relegated. No team has mathematically won the title. Only Liverpool can even claim a CL spot next year.

Hell, there would legal wrangling in the Championship and down.. which 3 teams get promoted? 

I am guessing it is Option#1, (which i think is mdmost's take) but what do I know; things are fluid. I have no idea how CL and EL spots would be awarded (without major legal battles) in that scenario if CL and EL somehow manage to complete their games this year.

Edited by yoladu

They will finish the season just depends on how late...like others mentioned would be to much of a nightmare with promotions and Europe spots

Most likely be played in empty stadiums. On reddit there is talk being thrown around of not playing the domestic cups next season to ease congestion if league is pushed really far back

There’s barely a summer break already. There’s not a lot of room to push the calendar.
Hence the talk of scrapping the domestic cups....no cups and 2 league games a week if needed

This will all depend on when everything resumes...hell they could finish in may still with 2 a week

the infection rates is going to be worse two weeks from now. Hard to imagine then starting in early April...

but hey, my son plays weekend tournaments where they play 2 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday (albeit, 35 minute halves)

they could get the PL season done over the course of 2 weekends in Late May.... if my son can do it, a major professional footplayer couldn't? 

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

the infection rates is going to be worse two weeks from now. Hard to imagine then starting in early April...

but hey, my son plays weekend tournaments where they play 2 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday (albeit, 35 minute halves)

they could get the PL season done over the course of 2 weekends in Late May.... if my son can do it, a major professional footplayer couldn't? 

Look I know that kids product isn't much above Southampon's level, but for the rest of the EPL it's a pretty physical game. They might need 4 weekends.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2020 at 1:56 PM, Captain Ron said:

Look I know that kids product isn't much above Southampon's level, but for the rest of the EPL it's a pretty physical game. They might need 4 weekends.

yeah, I hear ya, Southampton's product is a whopping 7 points lower than Spurs.

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

extend the 2019-20 professional football season indefinitely,

things can obviously change, but i guess one could imagine a scenario that if the virus is a non issue come mid summer, they would restart the 2019-2020 season, finish it, completely the 38 match schedule - Champion crowned, European spots awarded, relegation - all as usual.

Then possibly have a short break (say a month) and then have an abridged shorter 2020-2021 season, starting in late Fall. Assuming all clubs are in agreement on a 2020-2021 shortened season (maybe 28 or 30 match season)

Not sure how transfer season, contract signings, and all that would get wedged into it.

Of course, COVID-19 might have other plans.

Edited by yoladu

11 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Ornstein is reporting on The Athletic that clubs are getting behind the idea of voiding the season and just replaying it in the fall.

https://mobile.twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1243445159754444800

Pretending the season didn’t happen just doesn’t work. I don’t even mean for awarding the title I mean for promotion/relegation. The teams on the verge of promotion are looking at a massive difference in the amount of money generated. Simply throwing them back to their lower league doesn’t work.

• Like 1