EPL 2019-20

Firemans4Horn

7 hours ago, Bone3421 said:
13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:
Olivier Giroud is a World Cup winner as well as a Puskas Award winner, and the best striker that Chelsea has, even if Lamps insists on playing anyone but him. 

Wrong thread....karting should be in motorsports thread

Benzy is just jealous of the hair. 

Edited by Goo Punch

They are pushing further and further,. I certainly hope it happens, but I am really not feeling it at all. The UK has seriously bungled their own handling and IMHO, they are going to be far worse than it is here, and even the US doesn't even look remotely close to open for business until mid-late summer.

Spurs leading the way in complete shittyness to their staff during this shutdown

4b26ffkgw5q41.jpg

That bit about Levy is crap.

Premier League statement

LFC

The Premier League today released the following statement.

At a meeting of Premier League Shareholders today, clubs discussed in detail how to respond to the COVID-19 global pandemic.

First and foremost, it was reaffirmed that the overriding priority is to aid the health and wellbeing of the nation and our communities, including players, coaches, managers, club staff and supporters.

Season restart

It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May – and that the 2019/20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

The restart date is under constant review with all stakeholders, as the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic develops and we work together through this very challenging time.

The Premier League is working closely with the whole of professional football in this country, as well as with the Government, public agencies and other relevant stakeholders to ensure the game achieves a collaborative solution.

With this, there is a combined objective for all remaining domestic league and cup matches to be played, enabling us to maintain the integrity of each competition.

However, any return to play will only be with the full support of Government and when medical guidance allows.

The sporting and financial implications for Premier League clubs as well as for The FA, EFL and National League were considered at today’s meeting.

Consulting players

In the face of substantial and continuing losses for the 2019/20 season since the suspension of matches began, and to protect employment throughout the professional game, Premier League clubs unanimously agreed to consult their players regarding a combination of conditional reductions and deferrals amounting to 30 per cent of total annual remuneration.

This guidance will be kept under constant review as circumstances change.

The League will be in regular contact with the PFA and the union will join a meeting which will be held tomorrow between the League, players and club representatives.

Solidarity with clubs below PL

Discussions also took place regarding financial relief for clubs in the short term and while there is no single solution, measures are to be put in place to immediately deal with the impact of falling cash flow.

Critically, the League unanimously voted to advance funds of £125 million to the EFL and National League as it is aware of the severe difficulties clubs throughout the football pyramid are suffering at this time.

Supporting NHS

Further to that assistance, the League remains committed to supporting the National Health Service, its staff and helping people in communities, not least those who are most vulnerable.

The League, clubs, players and managers express huge appreciation for the heroic efforts of NHS staff and all other key workers who are carrying out critical jobs in such difficult circumstances.

In consultation with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, the Premier League is immediately committing £20 million to support the NHS, communities, families and vulnerable groups during the COVID-19 pandemic.

This includes a direct financial contribution to the NHS and funds to enable clubs to refocus their efforts and develop significant outreach programmes to help communities, including those most in need.

This funding will enable both immediate and longer-term support during the crisis.

Supporting clubs’ community work

In response to COVID-19,  Premier League clubs have been supporting tens of thousands of people in their communities each and every day through targeted activity including donations to foodbanks, telephone calls to the elderly, food parcels delivered to the vulnerable and a wide range of free resources to support wellbeing and education.

Many Premier League clubs are also working closely with their local NHS Trusts to provide valuable support through the provision of resources, volunteers and facilities.

Now, more than ever, clubs are playing a vital role to support the wellbeing of those in their communities and alleviate pressure on critical health services.

Promoting public health messages

Working closely with the Department of Health and Social Care, Public Health England and the NHS, the wide reach and appeal of the Premier League and our clubs will continue to be used to promote important public health messaging throughout this crisis.

The Premier League would like to reiterate that the thoughts of all our clubs are with all those directly affected by COVID-19.

Edited by mdmost

Pretty awful for a club that's pulling revenue of 42 million. They're only paying 20% of the wages and expecting the British government to pay the rest. They won't be the last to do this. Wouldn't shock me if this decision came from FSG. 

Edited by mdmost

Kyle Walker records a video asking people to stay home and practice social distancing. Then he and a friend have a couple of prostitutes over for six. Moron.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city/story/4082614/manchester-city-conduct-investigation-over-kyle-walkers-party-with-sex-workers-during-coronavirus-lockdown

Kyle Walker records a video asking people to stay home and practice social distancing. Then he and a friend have a couple of prostitutes over for six. Moron.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city/story/4082614/manchester-city-conduct-investigation-over-kyle-walkers-party-with-sex-workers-during-coronavirus-lockdown
Well he did stay home.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:24 AM, Captain Ron said:

They are pushing further and further,. I certainly hope it happens, but I am really not feeling it at all. The UK has seriously bungled their own handling and IMHO, they are going to be far worse than it is here, and even the US doesn't even look remotely close to open for business until mid-late summer.

Spurs leading the way in complete shittyness to their staff during this shutdown

4b26ffkgw5q41.jpg

That bit about Levy is crap.

Spurs reversed their decision to use the government furlough program. All employees being paid 100% of their wages by the club.

I've been watching Sunderland Til I Die and I've got 3 questions about professional futbol in general. 

1.  Sunderland's owner is being a cheap ass.  Why would a club owner, that just had his team relegated from the EPL, not want to spend money on transfers?  In American professional leagues, you might lose some money here and there per merchandise sales/gate, etc... But in the tiered system, aren't you kind of risking your entire franchise by not keeping up with other clubs financially?  If you don't spend, you're not going to make it to the EPL and garner the extra 60 million or so alone in TV revenue.  If you get knocked down to the 2nd or 3rd division, you're really risking the entire club/$$$.

2.  Easy one.  Sunderland paid some guy a rather expensive 5-year contract, then got relegated.  During the transfer window, the manager was almost begging the player to transfer.  If a player is under contract, does the team not have any say-so whatsoever in what they can do with him?  If they cut/release him, I'm assuming they'd still have to pay him.  If he accepts a transfer, would Sunderland be off the hook for his transfer AND get paid by his new club?

3.  Hypothetical.  Is there ever a reason in which a fan might not want their team to be promoted to the EPL?  Or is promotion the end-all, be-all of every team?  I'm thinking of a scenario in which a team is very competitive at the Championship level but knows the team could never compete with the EPL blue-bloods.  Said fan might accept a 2nd tier life in which the team competes every week over scraping the bottom of the barrel in the EPL.

1. Some owners are cheap as hell. And if everything is "paid for" additional wages cost additional money requiring the owner to pay out of pocket. Some would rather ride it out then spend the money. They've made their money, fuck the club. 

2. A contract is a contract. They get paid for the length of the contract regardless. Most clubs won't buy a player on high wages unless he is World Class because they won't take a cut. (IE: Bale, Ozil). Essentially Madrid is paying Bale to play golf. That's fine for a team with shitloads of cash, but Sunderland is in trouble. 

3. Sure. Some fans would rather be a big fish in a small pond. But most fans don't want to be Crash Davis. They want to play in the bigs.

• Like 1

thanks @Cheeseweasel

As per #2.  A player on team A is making, say, 10 mil a year on a 5 year contract.  He's good but hurt and/or not performing (like the Sunderland dude).  If team B offers to take him as a transfer, is team A's goal to negotiate a fee to try to make up for the lost money on the contract?  I.E. we owe him 50 mil, you take him for 4 years and pay us 25 mil, we eat the rest?  Is that how it works?

I was wondering if my 3rd question was just dumb.  I know it's not the same thing, but when I played in a semi-competitive soccer league with relegation and promotion, I preferred to stay in the league in which our team could compete over being promoted and going 1 - 20.

1.  That is hard to answer without understanding he dif between franchises in he US and ownership in futbol.   Some owners just want to own a team.  Look at what Khan has done or not done with Fulham.  He has the money but just isn't spending it on his club.  Sometimes clubs have to suffer with their roster for a few years before they can make transfers.   There are caps like they have in some US sports but its tied to revenue.   

2. Many times when a club gets relegated and they lose the PL cash they have to unload their PL quality players just to make payroll.   A lot of times its at firesale prices.  If they think they can get back up to PL they will find a way to suffer for a season.

3.  Moving into the PL is like winning the lottery for anyone in the FA.  The money is ridiculous and they can upgrade facilities, buy better players, pay themselves more etc.  And its really not up to fans.  Its up to the owner(s).   I'm sure plenty of fans are just as happy with their 20,000 seat Saturday afternoon league 2 matches. 

If you want some more insight into PL workings read "The Club".  Its a great read.

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was wondering if my 3rd question was just dumb.  I know it's not the same thing, but when I played in a semi-competitive soccer league with relegation and promotion, I preferred to stay in the league in which our team could compete over being promoted and going 1 - 20.

Yes but does moving up pay your club almost $100 million dollars to go 1-20?   20th place in the PL during the 18/19 season was paid $93 mil.   For finishing.  LAST.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

Yes but does moving up pay your club almost $100 million dollars to go 1-20?   20th place in the PL during the 18/19 season was paid $93 mil.   For finishing.  LAST.

Oh, I get the financial aspect.  I was speaking strictly as a fan.  I would liken it to a team like, say, Tarleton State.  They are very competitive for the level at which they play.  If they joined the Big 12 or SEC, they'd make a hell of a lot more money; however, they'd also probably go 1-11 for awhile.  As a fan, would you rather have prestige and money or be able to attend games in which your team is competitive?  English football fans are so passionate, I was just wondering about this aspect from a fan's perspective.

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

English football fans are so passionate, I was just wondering about this aspect from a fan's perspective.

If you are an English football fan you are not just passionate about your club but the sport and respect a quality team and quality players.  That's why its such a big deal for these working mans clubs when a big PL team comes with all their internationals show up to your little stadium for an FA or EFL tournament its something they tell their grand kids about but I understand what you are saying.  I'm sure some fans hate it when an owner buys their nice little club on the cheap and starts trying to change it and move up.  And its seems in football its easier to be competitive sometimes vs american college football.  

• Like 2