EPL 2019-20

Firemans4Horn

I'm opposed to neutral sites (for sports return in general) because I prefer to have teams hire at least some of their own employees to stage the games. But for EPL purposes there could be some horrible spreading incidents with crowds outside the stadium. Maybe that would happen anyway, as people gather to watch on the telly.

I can't imagine what some Liverpool residents are going through, weighing how to celebrate as a community but without starting a new outbreak in the process.

UK government says EPL can return on June 1st. Yeah, it's not happening but that's the speculative date.

Coronavirus: Premier League restart boost as U.K. government sets June 1 date

8:12 AM CT

Premier League football could resume in June after the UK government revealed its roadmap out of lockdown. John Walton/PA Images via Getty Images

The Premier League has been given the go-ahead to resume behind closed doors from June 1 by the United Kingdom government, it was announced on Monday.

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson set out a road map to ease lockdown restrictions during the coronavirus crisis on Sunday evening and a full report has since been released.

The 50-page document includes "permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed-doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact," but this cannot happen before June 1.

Entitled "Our Plan to Rebuild: The UK Government's Covid-19 Recovery Strategy," the document says lockdown measures will only be eased once certain measures have been met.

In any case, no spectators will be allowed at matches should the Premier League return, with the league's 20 clubs set for a vote on whether to resume the season in the next few days.

England's top division has been suspended since March 13 and there is, as yet, no consensus surrounding how, or if, the 2019-20 season will start. There are still 92 Premier League fixtures to be played, with clubs now back in training at training grounds, albeit while observing the government's social distancing guidelines.

Fans in football stadiums "may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections," the report states.

"Some venues which are, by design, crowded and where it may prove difficult to enact distancing may still not be able to reopen safely at this point, or may be able to open safely only in part."

Clubs are split about the prospect of the Premier League returning, with a majority of 14 votes from the division's 20 teams required to pass any decision. The Premier League were not immediately available for comment following the publication of the government's report.

England's top division and other leagues around Europe have until May 25 to outline to UEFA their detailed plans to start football matches again. The Bundesliga will become Europe's first major football league to resume during the coronavirus pandemic when it starts again this weekend.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 8:52 AM, mdmost said:

These Bundesliga matches are weird as hell without the crowds. Though they do show that this could work if the EPL is willing to wait it out. 

Yeah, they should pipe in crowd noise like a shitty laugh track. (serious, not serious)

I'm selfish. I want the EPL finish just to shut up the asterisk talk & I'm willing to watch dead silence if I have to.

• Like 1

Premier League statement on return to training

The Premier League released the following statement on Monday afternoon.

Premier League Shareholders today voted unanimously to return to small group training from tomorrow afternoon – the first step towards restarting the Premier League, when safe to do so.

Step One of the Return to Training Protocol enables squads to train while maintaining social distancing. Contact training is not yet permitted.

This first stage has been agreed in consultation with players, managers, Premier League club doctors, independent experts and the Government. Strict medical protocols of the highest standard will ensure everyone returns to training in the safest environment possible.

The health and wellbeing of all participants is the Premier League’s priority, and the safe return to training is a step-by-step process. Full consultation will now continue with players, managers, clubs, the PFA and LMA as protocols for full-contact training are developed.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

The only thing I can hope for now is that everyone else in the PL forgot how to play football and Villa escapes (barely) from the relegation zone in this modified season.

Did they all lose their right foot as well? That might give us a shot!

• Like 1

The EPL has a statement out

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1670563

The Premier League can today confirm that, on Sunday 17 May and Monday 18 May, 748 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19.

Of these, six have tested positive from three clubs.

Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days. 

8 hours ago, LonghornJudas said:

#4 is trash, but otherwise a good rundown. :)

I had to DVR that game and watch it after work around 6 or  7 that evening.  I just remember sitting in my living room and letting out a very loud “Holy Fuck” as soon as the ball hit the net.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I had to DVR that game and watch it after work around 6 or  7 that evening.  I just remember sitting in my living room and letting out a very loud “Holy Fuck” as soon as the ball hit the net.

Yeah, I watched live and have been fine with a typical goal from Aguero or Sterling, but a 30 yard bending strike from Kompany is just unreal. Liverpool beats Everton though and that goal isn’t on the list...which is why it deserves a spot.

5 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I said "Fucking, fuck fuck fuck fuck FUUUUUCK" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was wondering what the plans for player safety is. I have to admit, I find this woefully inadequate:

Players and staff will be tested twice per week going forward, and any positive test will see that individual quarantined for seven days.

Seriously? What if a player turns up a false negative? Worse, what if they contract COVID-19 right after a test and are spreading during the time before their next test?

The KBO tests their players DAILY (I thought i read somewhere it was TWICE daily). And any positive tests would halt the season for everyone.

Frankly, I say just give Liverpool the title and let's move on, because I think the EPLs plan is a really bad idea.

10 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I was wondering what the plans for player safety is. I have to admit, I find this woefully inadequate:

Seriously? What if a player turns up a false negative? Worse, what if they contract COVID-19 right after a test and are spreading during the time before their next test?

The KBO tests their players DAILY (I thought i read somewhere it was TWICE daily). And any positive tests would halt the season for everyone.

Frankly, I say just give Liverpool the title and let's move on, because I think the EPLs plan is a really bad idea.

NFL and College Football in the fall is going to say hold my beer

• Like 1

So when is the fixtures list going to be announced? The only thing I'm seeing is the two games on the 17th and then a full slate of matches on the 20th, but nothing after that. I heard on a podcast that there are going to be games literally every day starting on the 20th but I can't find any verification of that.

Wednesday 17 June

18:00 Aston Villa v Sheffield Utd

20:15 Man City v Arsenal

Friday 19 June

18:00 Norwich v Southampton

20:15 Spurs v Man Utd

Saturday 20 June
12:30 Watford v Leicester

15:00 Brighton v Arsenal

17:30 West Ham v Wolves

19:45 Bournemouth v Crystal Palace

Sunday 21 June