EPL 2019-20

Firemans4Horn

time to retire the whole "Spursy" thing. It hasn't been applicable in a long time.
Let's not get carried away...they almost lost top 4 spot last year with winning only 1 out of last 5 games last year...arsenal and manu were just as bad though so it didnt cost them CL spot

4 hours ago, Bone3421 said:
4 hours ago, yoladu said:
time to retire the whole "Spursy" thing. It hasn't been applicable in a long time.

Let's not get carried away...they almost lost top 4 spot last year with winning only 1 out of last 5 games last year...arsenal and manu were just as bad though so it didnt cost them CL spot

no no man... they beat newcomers Aston Villa at home on matchday one and led for almost 20 minutes of game time. Just give them the trophy already. 

7 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Pulisic on the bench. Fuck Lampard.  

Eh. Maybe hesitant to throw him to the wolves on day 1 at OT. 

He'll play in the 2nd half. 

They also play Pool on Wednesday - I had guessed he would start 1 of the 2. 

Edited by ztejas

20 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Tough going for AV after spending so much money, Spurs have a knack for comebacks.

They spent the money to stay up, not make the chase group.  As Ramjet will attest, Villa think of themselves as a massive side who belong in the prem.  You need to come like Wolves did, with a head-start on survival, then consolidate your position.

8 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Pulisic on the bench. Fuck Lampard.  

They game him #24 a month ago.  That telegraphed their intentions.  Massive sides rarely start big signings at 20 years old unless they are strikers.

Besides, this makes it easier to root for a draw as a Pool supporter.

CP is not going to replace Hazard instantly.

And saving CP from the instant expectation of replacing Hazard's service is the right way to work him in to the side.

Maybe he comes on at the hour after Chelsea have had no service at all, and lights it up.

Not at all unhappy he is not starting.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Willems sits back instead of going to get the ball allowing it to be stolen and then leaving one of the best goal scorers in the league wide open in the middle of the pitch. Newcastle is in peak form on match day one.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they get relegated.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Maybe I’m biased but that was a pretty rough first half for both teams I thought

Chelsea looked pretty good in the final third - no finish but some decent chances. Backline still an issue. 

Zouma straight gifted ManU a goal. 

6 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

So Chelsea isn't as good without Eden Hazard? I'm kind of surprised by that.

Chelsea look a real threat to lead the chase group.  I will be surprised if they are relevant (touching distance of 4th) on boxing day.  Who knows if this will clear any space for someone else to chase.  It could easily be 5 for 4 by February.

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

MoJames?

If anyone that's Rich. I'm a sunshine pumper. Honestly I don't think that guy watched the game. We lost 4-0 sure, but we should've been in the game. Played great the first half. Credit to manure, they took care of all 4 of their opportunities.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

If anyone that's Rich. I'm a sunshine pumper. Honestly I don't think that guy watched the game. We lost 4-0 sure, but we should've been in the game. Played great the first half. Credit to manure, they took care of all 4 of their opportunities.

This is my take.  We showed a lot of positives despite being down arguably our two most important defensive players (and two likely offensive starters).  We hit the post twice and had other good opportunities whereas Man U just did a great job of finishing their chances.  I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do with Kante and Rudiger back (Zouma was a huge liability).  Hopefully Reece James can be an added defensive bonus over the course of the season and can eventually replace Azpi.  I'm not ready to give up on top 4 just because of one away game against a top 6 squad.  My expectation for the season was to be in a fight for the top 4 while our youth grows into form and Lampard gets his system into place.  Nothing about the first game changes that expectation.