Ad Astra

RamjetFDO

Thought it was fairly boring and I could have waited until it was on the small screen.  Not to give spoilers but I thought it couldn’t figure out what it wanted to be so they combined several styles together.   Also why too many plot holes and other areas left unexplained.

If you want to take a nap, go see ad astra. 

I'm sure others on the web have probably pointed out flaws in the story but here is my list

Spoiler

if there is a space antenna, then why not a space elevator. or perhaps unlimited energy has been found and earth launches take the power equivalent of a 100 watt light bulb?

why does Pitt have to go to Mars to send the signal to his dad? Even if allowing for some unknown reason the signal had to be sent from Mars, why not have Pitt record a message from Earth, forward it to Mars, and send it from Mars.

If space travel has become so fast (unlimited energy?) and it's only 79 days from Mars to Neptune, why in the world haven't others traveled to Neptune by then?   FYI New Horizons recently took 9 years to get to Pluto.

Drones couldn't find Tommy Lee Jones space ship in over 16 years, but it has a power source that is somehow about to destroy the earth from 2.7b miles away. A futuristic drone couldn't detect that kind of power source?

Pitt is examined for mental stability every 5 minutes, but it goes unnoticed that the new captain (Loren Dean) has lost his nerve and has been given the task of saving earth?  (I guess the filmmakers had to make the captain unworthy and the crew unlikable so that we are relatively ok when Pitt's actions directly and iindirectly lead to their deaths.)

Moon pirates were the most interesting and least talked about aspect. Unknown factions are attacking US military vehicles on the surface of the moon for no apparent reason, but let's gloss over that.

donald sutherland's character should have continued further into the trip. Perhaps even having him keep secrets from Pitt up until the very end.

norwegian bioresearch ship bringing a baboon to (from?) Mars...

I can understand the real point of the film is Pitt's realization of what is and isn't important in life but the story could have been better.

• Like 1

If space travel has become so fast (unlimited energy?) and it's only 79 days from Mars to Neptune, why in the world haven't others traveled to Neptune by then?   FYI New Horizons recently took 9 years to get to Pluto.

Drones couldn't find Tommy Lee Jones space ship in over 16 years, but it has a power source that is somehow about to destroy the earth from 2.7b miles away. A futuristic drone couldn't detect that kind of power source?

Although I sort of enjoyed the movie, I agreed with most of your list, and especially the 2 comments above.

We know that TLJ had been gone 30 years and that he was presumed dead or to be in hiding, and drones couldn’t locate his ship. Then we saw Pitt fly a ship solo straight to his location in 79 days. He didn’t seem very hidden at all.

Furthermore, if that journey is only 79 days, I find it hard to believe that humans hadn’t sent other manned expeditions our there in that same 30 year span.

Basically, the relative ease with which Pitt traveled to and from Neptune significantly undermined the plot for me.

• 2 months later...

I thought the use of silence in the movie was great.   It really brought home how quiet it would be in space by yourself.  That whole ideal of how small we are in comparison to the universe we live in, how huge it is.  Also seemed to shred the possibility of other life out there beyond ours.   Or at least to the point we are capable of seeking it.  Which then supports again the immensity of the universe.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I thought the use of silence in the movie was great.   It really brought home how quiet it would be in space by yourself.  That whole ideal of how small we are in comparison to the universe we live in, how huge it is.  Also seemed to shred the possibility of other life out there beyond ours.   Or at least to the point we are capable of seeking it.  Which then supports again the immensity of the universe.

th?id=OIP.F4V0_HkAY44iq8TqxcfKYgAAAA%26p

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting an Apocalypse Now kinda vibe. Maybe even some Return of the Jedi.
"I know there is still some good in him."

Just saw it on long flight. A really bad Apocalypse Now vibe is what I got. Really wasn’t sure who I wanted to cheer for. Pitts been great in a bunch of films, but this was not one of them.

On 9/21/2019 at 11:01 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Would an eleven year-old like this movie? My son wants to see it, but I'm afraid he'll get bored without the explosions, car chases, titties, robots, and a comic sidekick.

Interesting question.

If you take your child only to movies with the formula you describe, how will his taste expand?

I was fascinated and mystified by 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was about that age. It was my Star Wars and I caught it each time it rolled around to theaters over the years. Many movies not aimed at children impacted me even thought I couldn't say exactly why or sometimes what they were about. The Hustler and Hud were movies I saw before junior high (middle school). Having seen them and had them make a mark on me as a child made rewatching them as an adult an even richer experience. Hud in particular said different things to me at different ages.

Zulu pops into my mind as another movie that was not directed at children that terrified and captivated me with the action and brought something more than just a heroic tale of a thin red line.

Make room for something other than fun and distraction to entertain kids. You don't just feed them McDonald's and pizza. So it is with movies, my friend.

• Like 2

Saw it on the plane, headphones weren’t great, and neither was the movie so sorta missed this explanation. But how did the Norwegian monkeys breathe space “air”? Or was there enough atmosphere on that ship so that one guy died due to blood loss/etc instead of being exposed to freaking SPACE with nothing but duct tape to ensure his safety? 

It's amazing how little of the movie I recall in the few months that have passed since seeing it. My first reaction was, "Norwegian monkeys in space? Are we talking about the same movie?" Then I called forth a vague memory of a baboon or something floating around.

So many acclaimed and supposedly serious movies just don't leave the mark they should. The Shape of Water or Gravity are interesting movie experiences, but I just don't take much away from them. Sandra Bullock's tear floating in front of me at the 3D screening was moving.

The FX Christmas Carol with Guy Pierce is the latest thing I can think of seeing that really left an impression. We'll see some movies over the next few weeks. It sure would be nice to be devastated or uplifted or at least driven by a movie to consider it after I return to the light.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Interesting question.

If you take your child only to movies with the formula you describe, how will his taste expand?

I was fascinated and mystified by 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was about that age. It was my Star Wars and I caught it each time it rolled around to theaters over the years. Many movies not aimed at children impacted me even thought I couldn't say exactly why or sometimes what they were about. The Hustler and Hud were movies I saw before junior high (middle school). Having seen them and had them make a mark on me as a child made rewatching them as an adult an even richer experience. Hud in particular said different things to me at different ages.

Zulu pops into my mind as another movie that was not directed at children that terrified and captivated me with the action and brought something more than just a heroic tale of a thin red line.

Make room for something other than fun and distraction to entertain kids. You don't just feed them McDonald's and pizza. So it is with movies, my friend.

Thanks for the lecture and parenting advice, but you misunderstood my intention. I have, and will continue to, show my son all kinds of movies to expand his taste. However, with this movie, he was expecting a "Michael Bay, explosion every minute" type of movie and I was trying to temper his expectations, because I could tell the movie was not going to be like that at all. 

4 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Thanks for the lecture and parenting advice, but you misunderstood my intention. I have, and will continue to, show my son all kinds of movies to expand his taste. However, with this movie, he was expecting a "Michael Bay, explosion every minute" type of movie and I was trying to temper his expectations, because I could tell the movie was not going to be like that at all. 

You seem sensitive. Sorry for answering your query.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

You seem sensitive. Sorry for answering your query.

1) You didn't answer my query. I asked if the average 11 year old would like this movie and you never answered that question.

2) Yes, I am sensitive when people question my parenting. Here's the thing: there are a lot of things that I do wrong. I'm a shitty internet poster. Most of the time, I am a shitty husband. My profession is teaching and while I usually do a pretty good job at it, sometimes my students would describe my teaching style as "shitty". However, I am a pretty fucking good father. It's the one thing that I usually do in a non-shitty way.

6 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

1) You didn't answer my query. I asked if the average 11 year old would like this movie and you never answered that question.

2) Yes, I am sensitive when people question my parenting. Here's the thing: there are a lot of things that I do wrong. I'm a shitty internet poster. Most of the time, I am a shitty husband. My profession is teaching and while I usually do a pretty good job at it, sometimes my students would describe my teaching style as "shitty". However, I am a pretty fucking good father. It's the one thing that I usually do in a non-shitty way.

I did answer your question. I didn't question your parenting.

I do wonder about your defensiveness. Have a nice weekend.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I did answer your question. I didn't question your parenting.

I do wonder about your defensiveness. Have a nice weekend.

1) No, you didn't.
2) You kinda did.
3) That's totally fair.
4) I also hope that you have a nice weekend.
5) I never did see Ad Astra. I probably should quit this thread until I do.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Worst Norwegian cruise line ever.  

just watched it on HBO.  Liv Tyler had about the right number of lines.  Mars subculture was interesting.  

Don’t know why this bugged me but Donald Sutherland’s character tells us he and TLJ go all the back to Purdue together.  And shows Pitt his class ring.  Later Pitt is reminiscing about his father and says he went to AF Academy and then MIT.  Was that to suggest Sutherland was not on the up and up or just a film flub?   And who is still a colonel at 85 years of age and sent out on an active mission to Mars with a heart condition?  

space scenes were stunning.  

• 2 months later...

Agree with most.  I really wanted to like the movie because it's up my alley but...

One thing unmentioned on this thread that bothered me was the ending scene @ Neptune.

1. Why park your ship on the other side of one of Neptune's rings?

2. I scraped by in my college physics class, but I'd guess using a ship door as a shield while you're flying through the ring wouldn't really work.

Watched most of it again the other night and the Purdue/USAF-MIT thing is still pissing me off.  I think it meant that Sutherland was lying about his motives.

On 1/1/2020 at 11:14 PM, DallasGatr said:

Just saw it on long flight. A really bad Apocalypse Now vibe is what I got. Really wasn’t sure who I wanted to cheer for. Pitts been great in a bunch of films, but this was not one of them.

This. Had same impression that it was Apocalypse Now rip off story done badly.  Pitt been great but this movie was trash mostly.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:54 PM, wild_turkey said:

Although I sort of enjoyed the movie, I agreed with most of your list, and especially the 2 comments above.

We know that TLJ had been gone 30 years and that he was presumed dead or to be in hiding, and drones couldn’t locate his ship. Then we saw Pitt fly a ship solo straight to his location in 79 days. He didn’t seem very hidden at all.

Furthermore, if that journey is only 79 days, I find it hard to believe that humans hadn’t sent other manned expeditions our there in that same 30 year span.

Basically, the relative ease with which Pitt traveled to and from Neptune significantly undermined the plot for me.

Just saw this.

I gathered that once Pops killed part of his crew, Space Force just wrote him off and pretended they were "lost in space."  They couldn't have their space hero brought back to endure a court martial or whatever.  And crazy-ass Pops went off the grid. The recording Negga showed him indicated this.

It wasn't until the surges that they had to find him or the craft and do something about it/him. 

Pops indicated in the convo with Pitt that it was later that the "loyal" crew also mutinied and somehow started the surges.

It was slow.  I suspend disbelief when watching space shows.  It was ok I guess.  I probably would have been annoyed if I had paid to see it in a theater.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 8/28/2020 at 7:05 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Going back to my earlier complaint.

From what I recall from physics class, Pitt's momentum could theoretically carry him from one ship to the other; however, wouldn't the continued interaction with banging into the rocks/ice eventually make him stop?

The idea in space is there's little or no atmosphere so no "air resistance" slowing you down.  A brief impulse from a jet or power source can propel over much longer distances than on earth because there is little material opposing or changing your momentum.  And little or no gravity to pull you off course (and slow you down).

But you're right, space debris would be quite effective at opposing or changing one's momentum, with or without atmosphere.  Momentum is m*v and v is a vector (has direction).  Any v not in your direction of travel impedes you, and the more mass or velocity something you hit has, the more effective it will be in slowing you or knocking you off course.

However, both Pops and Pitt had some form of "jet pack" or space suit vents/thrusters, so I guess that's what he was using.  It's what Pops used to "take off" and what Pitt used to close the distance after making it through the debris field.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1