Ad Astra

RamjetFDO

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m getting an interstellar 2 

This is what I thought.  Interstellar Daddy: Why Did You Love Aliens More Than Me

59 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Why am I thinking "Gravity 2: Electric Boogaloo"?

You know Clooney is going to show up again with a bottle of vodka in his pants.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m getting an interstellar 2 and possibly an event horizon vibe. 

This is spot on. 

On 6/5/2019 at 3:16 PM, Dr Fear said:

Good to see Liv Tyler talking to people in space via TV monitor again.

+rep

On 6/5/2019 at 7:00 PM, bamachine said:

Just need to get Aerosmith to write another song for this one. I really hate that their only number one is possibly the worst song of their entire catalog.

God dammit, that Dianne Warren ballad is a national treasure 

• 1 month later...

No spoilers from me for awhile, but first reactions were positive.

Classic Sci-Fi with a healthy dose of human psychological introspection. Brad Pitt was really good in the role.

The spacecraft and spaceflight effects were solid, believable, and appropriate to the story.

I recommend it.

• Like 1

There are ads for this fucking movie all over the place. Is it worth it? By it, I mean my time.
It depends.

Must a movie always have explosions, car chases, titties, robots, and a comic sidekick to be worth it?

Don't get me wrong... I'd go see a movie that had nothing but explosions, car chases, titties, robots, and a comic sidekick. And I'd be happy with that movie.

This ain't that.

This was surprisingly deep. Made you think. And made you appreciate the fact that it was *in* space, but not always *about being in* space.
  • Like 3

Saw it today. Nice elements like Pitt. It seemed to want to be a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now kind of movie but it chickened out.

I'd like to see the original script or whatever this movie evolved from. The stuff with the wife and the final resolution with Dad seemed to have studio executive fingerprints on it. Worth a look, but the movie seems like a missed opportunity.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Would an eleven year-old like this movie? My son wants to see it, but I'm afraid he'll get bored without the explosions, car chases, titties, robots, and a comic sidekick.

I highly doubt a kid would like it. 

Spoiler

There's a few cool space shots, and a cool shootout on the moon. The rest of it is Brad Pitt narrating his inner feelings. It was pretty boring. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Liked it, really liked it, even.

A spacey Heart of Darkness. Visually epic, plot and characters mostly very basic and straight forward but it fit the purpose of the journey, which is the focal point.

I love sci-fi so I’m usually lenient on it. Looking forward to watching it again.

yeah, i kept thinking 'space apocalypse now'.

i liked it.  wouldve liked it more with tits.

Saw it last night and liked it. It wasn't great, probably not better than a few sci-fi movie of this decade, but an interesting trip/plot. I saw it in IMAX and kinda wish I hadn't paid the $5 premium for it. I feel like the visuals weren't really highlighted in it. I remember seeing Interstellar in IMAX and being floored at just the vastness of space and the visuals of the new worlds (the wave scene). I also saw Gravity for the first time last week on my TV and really wish I'd seen that one in IMAX.

Spoiler

I left kinda with an internal laugh because the "message" I got from this sci-fi movie seemed to be anti-space and anti-wonder. Stop wondering and searching and hoping, everything you need is right here on earth. Your daddy hates you and your momma died so take your ass home and live your life (I say in jest, but still kinda). Just ironic.

• Like 1