California road tripping

T&T’s Dad

May into July is notorious for the "June gloom," i.e., a marine layer that tends to cause cloudy, overcast skies and cool temps in the mornings, esp. near the coast.  It tends to burn off in the late morning or early afternoon, giving way to sunny skies.  It shouldn't dissuade anyone from their vacation plans.  Just something to keep in mind, i.e., it's not always sunny and blue skies in SoCal.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

May into July is notorious for the "June gloom," i.e., a marine layer that tends to cause cloudy, overcast skies and cool temps in the mornings, esp. near the coast.  It tends to burn off in the late morning or early afternoon, giving way to sunny skies.  It shouldn't dissuade anyone from their vacation plans.  Just something to keep in mind, i.e., it's not always sunny and blue skies in SoCal.

You are correct, but these people aren't talking about going to SoCal.  They are all talking about further up the coast.   

Yes- June gloom is what I was thinking about. Actually found this on the SeeMonterey website that speaks to it and also the cooler weather I mentioned (and as a part of their list of many reasons to visit Monterey):

BEAT THE HEAT

Visitors looking to seek relief from triple digit temperatures should look no further than the Monterey Peninsula. Head out to Pebble Beach, Lovers Point or Marina State Beach to enjoy the bay's cool coastal breezes.

Locals on the coast call this time of year "June Gloom", mainly due to the marine layer that tends to cover the land during the summer months. This marine layer keeps the coast nice and cool; which is exactly what the doctor ordered for those looking to "beat the heat."

The truth is that many find the fog banks are relaxing and soothing; just don't forget to bring a sweater! If fog isn't you're thing escape to Carmel Valley or the Salinas Valley where the sun is just a 15 minute drive away.

On 6/11/2019 at 4:09 PM, Gil Bang said:

You are correct, but these people aren't talking about going to SoCal.  They are all talking about further up the coast.   

The fuck?  June gloom definitely infiltrates SoCal.  It has this year coastwise.

Calm down Francis.  The discussion is about central california.  The poster said something like "June gloom hits hard in socal".  I said "they aren't talking about socal".

I live 5 miles from the surf.  I know all about june gloom Mr. Pasadena.

And aren't you supposed to be enjoying HI instead of picking message board nits?

• 1 month later...