Austin Stories

Patricio Swayze

I am a nostalgia junkie. I admit it. In fact I have whole heartedly rejected treatment and I am under a bridge mainlining nostalgia into any vein I can find. 

I actually don’t recall this show when it aired in 1997, but saw it several years ago. It is 95% not funny, but I watched it because I liked seeing Austin from that era in the background. I went to UT 95 to 99 (but had been visiting regularly since 91 when my brother was there), so it really scratches the spot for “my Austin”.  The opening of the show has a nice skyline shot from MOPAC which highlights how much the city has changed in 20+ (as if none of y’all haven’t noticed). 

• Like 1

That opening shot is I-35. 

Nice find. Seems like I remember hearing the show's name at some point, but I never saw it. Was it on TV or somewhere on the web? There's nothing on South Congress there. That's back when I lived in that area. It was sooo dead.

Edited by wood

That opening shot is I-35. 
Nice find. Seems like I remember hearing the show's name at some point, but I never saw it. Was it on TV or somewhere on the web? There's nothing on South Congress there. That's back when I lived in that area. It was sooo dead.

Sorry, I didn’t mean opening shot. But the intro to the show when they roll credits. It might not be on that first video but you will see it later with town lake and the train bridge.

It was on MTV apparently. It actually got pretty good reviews, but in my opinion it is mostly bad. Just love seeing how the city was.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean opening shot. But the intro to the show when they roll credits. It might not be on that first video but you will see it later with town lake and the train bridge.

It was on MTV apparently. It actually got pretty good reviews, but in my opinion it is mostly bad. Just love seeing how the city was.

Oh yeah, I saw that shot after I posted. My bad.

MTV, yeah, that brings it all back. I remember people made kind of a big deal about it but after they saw how bad it was, that died off real quick. It's really bad ... like student project bad. I can't imagine how this pos ever got a single positive review.

• Like 1

Hahaha. That song is terrible.

I really don’t recall seeing this on tv. But when it aired in September 1997 I was mostly focused on my shitty band, longhorn football, being a dickhead to my girlfriend and a little bit of school. I was living off the alley next to Hardin House. It was the best of times and the best of times.

IIRC... when MTV pulled the plug one of the producers said it was their most popular show but cost 2x more to make than anything else and didn't get 2x the ratings. Not sure that I believe the former, but the latter makes sense, given that everything else was a reality show.

A few years later I saw Chip and Howard do stand up at that comedy club that later became La Bare, along with the great Barry Sobel. They all had pretty funny acts. /csb

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Agreed. I mean, occasionally there is a funny moment but so far and few between.

The apartment where the character “Chip” lives is at 34th and Speedway. And according to Wiki, both him and the girl Laura were UT Grads.

LOL I lived less than a block from there in '94 just before I moved to Travis Heights...

IIRC... when MTV pulled the plug one of the producers said it was their most popular show but cost 2x more to make than anything else and didn't get 2x the ratings. Not sure that I believe the former, but the latter makes sense, given that everything else was a reality show.
A few years later I saw Chip and Howard do stand up at that comedy club that later became La Bare, along with the great Barry Sobel. They all had pretty funny acts. /csb

It was shot on film. Even then, they would be expensive.

LOL I lived less than a block from there in '94 just before I moved to Travis Heights...

I lived there 97-98 semesters then moved close to Eastwoods Park. My older brother lived in the same house in 92-93. The year before I moved in there I lived in the building behind that house in efficiency that had a window that faces 22nd street. The conspiracy theorist in Slacker walks through my “backyard” and sliding glass door as he tries to latch onto the couple after the first guy bails on him. /csb

I remember that show.  It came out when I started law school.  I recall thinking it was pretty bad, and that it seemed like they were trying too hard to cash into Austin's growing national popularity in the post-Slacker 1990s.  But like Swayze, I'm a sucker for nostalgia, especially Austin nostalgia.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, drewcifer said:

@Patricio Swayze I don't dispute the higher cost to produce; I just have a hard time believing that it was MTV's most popular show. 

They should have just brought back Remote Control. Long live Remote Control. Long live Ken Ober.

Edited by TornACL
Apparently Ken Ober is dead. That's my bad.

56 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Agreed. I mean, occasionally there is a funny moment but so far and few between.

The apartment where the character “Chip” lives is at 34th and Speedway. And according to Wiki, both him and the girl Laura were UT Grads.

Laura was at UT.  We were acquainted.  I found out later that she had a crush on me (to be fair, I wasn't very clued in to reading the signs, and while she was nice and funny, I wasn't interested).  CSB.

• Like 1

That seems like a lot of money at the time:

Apparently MTV was pretty tight with their budget.
If you were going to film something, it was an expensive process. You couldn't just do it with your phone 20 years ago. Our budget was incredibly low, like $250,000 per episode. It seemed really high to me at the time, but I didn't know anything about TV then. I was like, “That's more money than I've ever even heard of!” But, for a TV show, that’s nothing.

I watched about 20 minutes of the first episode during lunch, and kind of enjoyed it. I grew up in Houston, but I started partying on the weekends in Austin at about 16.  Not the same era as the show, but somewhat close. It's insane how much the city has changed. I remember going up there with maybe $40 in my pocket and living like a king. 

I always thought that Austin Stories was what a bunch of MTV corporate dorks in a NYC high rise thought bohemian Austin was all about. Missed the mark, other than ridiculous cliche and token nods to 90s culture. Oh look we're shopping in a thrift store. FOH with that shit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

I always thought that Austin Stories was what a bunch of MTV corporate dorks in a NYC high rise thought bohemian Austin was all about. Missed the mark, other than ridiculous cliche and token nods to 90s culture. Oh look we're shopping in a thrift store. FOH with that shit. 

Este. I do love looking back at what Austin was like then though. As tx 3 putt said,  90s Austin was peak Austin. 

Didn't this take place around the same time as Real World Austin?

Edited by wood

37 minutes ago, wood said:

Este. I do love looking back at what Austin was like then though. As tx 3 putt said,  90s Austin was peak Austin. 

Didn't this take place around the same time as Real World Austin?

Real World Austin was in production in 2005.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBMisha said:

I'm sure most people think their time in Austin was peak Austin, whenever that was.    72-76 was pretty peak.  

October = moves to Austin, TX

November = starts sharing memes about "Austin's closed! Stop moving here!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

October = moves to Austin, TX
November = starts sharing memes about "Austin's closed! Stop moving here!"

I have definitely engaged in the “Austin is what it used to be” and other related diatribes before. Hell, I moved back in 2012 and left in 2013 partly due to this (but that was probably a mistake). But when I really think about it all, like restaurants or clubs that are gone, or the fucking scooters...the thing I miss a lot is how sleepy the town could feel, especially during the summer. That is gone forever.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have definitely engaged in the “Austin is what it used to be” and other related diatribes before. Hell, I moved back in 2012 and left in 2013 partly due to this (but that was probably a mistake). But when I really think about it all, like restaurants or clubs that are gone, or the fucking scooters...the thing I miss a lot is how sleepy the town could feel, especially during the summer. That is gone forever.

I don't know man, I can still spend a sleepy lazy afternoon on the patio at Crown & Anchor. Or any of another couple of dozen bars I can think of off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, NBMisha said:

I'm sure most people think their time in Austin was peak Austin, whenever that was.    72-76 was pretty peak.  

I've been here since '77. The 90s are still easily the best it's been over that stretch imho.

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I hear you, but again, everyone believes "their" Austin was peak Austin.  If you were here in the 80s, then you thought the 90s were hectic and you missed that sleepy town from the 80s.  If your peak was the 70s, then you thought the 80s weren't sleepy enough.  And so it goes.  

I hear you, but again, everyone believes "their" Austin was peak Austin.  If you were here in the 80s, then you thought the 90s were hectic and you missed that sleepy town from the 80s.  If your peak was the 70s, then you thought the 80s weren't sleepy enough.  And so it goes.  

Oh, I completely agree and thought I said that. But yeah, it’s context and perspective.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yep, and I esp miss having no plan going into the weekend but knowing you were gonna have a great time anyway ... then doing 3 or 4 badass things in a day, each of which would take a whole day, lots of $$, and lots of pre-planning now.

• Like 1

Yep, and I esp miss having no plan going into the weekend but knowing you were gonna have a great time anyway ... then doing 3 or 4 badass things in a day, each of which would take a whole day, lots of $$, and lots of pre-planning now.

So much fucking pre-planning now. Want to go to Hamilton pool? Reservation (sometimes 2 months in advance), want to go get pizza or a burger, the good spots probably have a wait. In the big scheme of things, it’s not a huge deal. But the principal of it is annoying.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So much fucking pre-planning now. Want to go to Hamilton pool? Reservation (sometimes 2 months in advance), want to go get pizza or a burger, the good spots probably have a wait. In the big scheme of things, it’s not a huge deal. But the principal of it is annoying.

We, err I mean some people I knew, used to sneak into Hamilton's Pool at 3am, climbing the fence & descending the old steel stairs that were falling apart & were probably dangerous as shit. Good times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

Y'all are just getting old. It's ok.

15 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Y'all are just getting old. It's ok.

That is actually the simple explanation for all of the Austin used to be better sentiment.  People associate their college years with Austin.  Then when they have a real job, kids, no free time, crushing responsibilities, etc.  . . . Austin seems to have changed and isn't quite as much fun anymore.  

I don't know man, I can still spend a sleepy lazy afternoon on the patio at Crown & Anchor. Or any of another couple of dozen bars I can think of off the top of my head. 

You can spend a sleepy lazy afternoon at any bar if you apply yourself and have a can do attitude.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1