CBDs - Who does them?

my dog started having seizures back in feburary, so i give him some CBD 2x a day.  seizures have stopped.  but that could be because i also stopped giving him anything salty, as that looked like the trigger (he'd have seizures the day after getting french fries, for example). 

Edited by elfenix

This war on drugs...people having to look over their shoulder because of a drug with therapeutic use and NO psychoactive effects at all might get them fired. Or sent to prison. It’s insane.

No hyperbole, the people that are against CBD and/or THC must barely have enough brain cells to wipe their own ass. Kill myself with alcohol or pills? Totally cool!!! Use a plant that is impossible to overdose, fuck your freedom, fuck your job, fuck your family.

Yeah, I am little annoyed. It makes zero sense. This past week was the best I have slept in a long ass time.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

my dog started having seizures back in feburary, so i give him some CBD 2x a day.  seizures have stopped.  but that could be because i also stopped giving him anything salty, as that looked like the trigger (he'd have seizures the day after getting french fries, for example). 

Salt or high protein dog food. High protein dog food sets off issues with a dogs liver (especially labs). One of the worst things to see, your Dog rolling around on the ground appearing to be in agonizing pain.

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Salt or high protein dog food. High protein dog food sets off issues with a dogs liver (especially labs). One of the worst things to see, your Dog rolling around on the ground appearing to be in agonizing pain.

nah he mostly just sleeps nowadays, doesn't seem to be in any pain at all.  he'll be 14 on sunday and he's been blind for 8 years.  i'm guessing he's had all the concussions and that's what's brought on this epilepsy. 

https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/cbd-oil-hemp-review/cbd-oil/

I do not have a member account, but see below for some highlights

Our tests of CBD products revealed that two products contained less CBD than listed and one contained significantly more. Actual doses ranged from just 1.3 mg to 22.3 mg, and we found that you can't rely on listed amounts of "cannabinoids" to tell you how much CBD is in a product. We also found that the cost to obtain an equivalent amount of CBD (10 mg) ranged nearly 6-fold from 80 cents to as much as $4.54 (and $4.73 when including lotions and balms). In addition, we checked for contaminants (arsenic, lead, and cadmium) in all products. Products that were the best quality and best value were chosen as our Top Picks. 

On top of everything else, we tested each product for THC, the psychoactive compound in hemp. 

• Like 1

CBD definitely works for pain and anxiety, but most people need to take pretty large doses for them to work as an effective pain med. I don't work for this company, but would highly recommend them as they have both full spectrum cannabinoids (small amounts of THC and variants) and THC free CBD oils and other forms of CBD, i.e. isolate powder: https://www.thecbdistillery.com/.
I usually get the 2500 MG in 30 ML coconut oil CBD oil. It is about 30-40 mg per half dropper which to me is an adequate dose that is the equivalent of a couple ibuprofen/acetaminophen or a low dose of a benzodiazepine (anxiety meds) without the high. I drop it in my mouth and allow it to absorb under the tongue. They also have salves if you're wanting to apply it topically. The company has many deals throughout the year too, i.e. 20% off from time to time, which can be really useful when the dropper bottle runs about $100.

Have you tried their zero THC products? I am considering buying another bottle to see if I get the same benefits without the positive test results.

One thing that seems super-odd to me about these meds is that  you can either take them orally or apply topically, seemingly for the same condition, to wit, joint pain.

I'm no doctor, or pharmacologist, but I cannot think of a single other medication that may either be applied topically or taken orally for the same condition.  I'm sure there are a few, but it seems rare.

This is not a knock on their efficacy.  I will take your word for it.  It is, I think, a comment on "amateur medicine."  Of course, look where professional medicine has got us.

In the mountain biking community, Floyd Landis sells some CBD products that the bikers seem to like.  https://floydsofleadville.com/  Knowing what we know of Floyd, and the fact that he's in Colorado, I might be careful about THC content.

And this right here is why I am holding off.

Honestly, I was surprised that I pissed hot considering how little THC is supposedly in the oil. Again, I bought it from CBDistillery which was linked up thread.

Sure, as a business, you want your product to be exactly as advertised. However, without regulation, they are just words (pure, less than, etc). But ultimately, we wouldn’t be in this situation if the government didn’t have their head so far up their own ass.
  • Like 1

My understanding is those drug store tests are actually much more sensitive than the ones most testing centers use. I've known several people that pissed hot on the home tests and then passed an employment test a few days later.  They all figured they'd fail but all passed.  They had all been abstaining for at least a couple of weeks and still failed the home test.

I know it can stay in your system up to a month but most studies find that you're clean enough to pass most tests in fewer than fourteen days.  Even for chronic users of the chronic.

Edited by Felix
  • Like 1

My understanding is those drug store tests are actually much more sensitive than the ones most testing centers use. I've known several people that pissed hot on the home tests and then passed an employment test a few days later.  They all figured they'd fail but all passed.  They had all been abstaining for at least a couple of weeks and still failed the home test.
I know it can stay in your system up to a month but most studies find that you're clean enough to pass most tests in fewer than fourteen days.  Even for chronic users of the chronic.

That’s not really true. Most home tests have a cut off of 50ng/ml. Testing facilities usually have one of two initial testing cutoffs (depending on employer policy), either 50ng/ml or 20ng/ml. Then positive tests are confirmed at a lower threshold and usually by gc/ms testing.

I'm sure you've done more research on it than I have so I'll defer to your knowledge.  That was based on some things I had read in the past and anecdotes so very well could be wrong.

Well, there are several variables at play. Home test kits, from my understanding, could have a shelf life. So they may not be reliable. Did they take the test in the morning? How many days after the home test did they do the lab test, etc, etc.

So it’s kind of hard to tell.

I've always though that, depending on the industry of course, that most employers would rather an otherwise qualified employee pass the test.  I work in healthcare and I can guarantee that a good percentage of both clinical and non-clinical folks are relaxing at home with a toke or two.  Of course they actually understand why MJ being illegal is incredibly stupid.  Doctors in particular get a little riled up about it.

Now if you're on opioids that's a way different story.

19 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Have you tried their zero THC products? I am considering buying another bottle to see if I get the same benefits without the positive test results.

Yes, I’ve been using the zero THC bottles for some time now. They work really well. Both my gf and I will take a dropper sometimes before bed and get amazing restful sleep. About a 60mg dose or so with the 2500 mg bottle. One dropper is said to be 83.33 mg in 1 ml, but I can never fill it up the whole way, nor do I need to.

Yes, I’ve been using the zero THC bottles for some time now. They work really well. Both my gf and I will take a dropper sometimes before bed and get amazing restful sleep. About a 60mg dose or so with the 2500 mg bottle. One dropper is said to be 83.33 mg in 1 ml, but I can never fill it up the whole way, nor do I need to.

Cool. Have you tried a drug test?

I have not, unfortunately. Here’s their lab testing on a recent batch:
2500ISO.png
I would consider writing the company and asking questions about it. I imagine your job drug tests you on a semi-regular basis?

I did and they shots me back a form letter with the typical legal speak. I’m just going to hold off until after the job search to try it. I’ll also take a test so that folks can gauge it off my experience.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I did and they shots me back a form letter with the typical legal speak. I’m just going to hold off until after the job search to try it. I’ll also take a test so that folks can gauge it off my experience.

Good luck! I also think it could differ between an oral swab and piss test, so keep that in mind. Also, if you’re peeing for a job, you could just take someone else’s pee? I’ve done that before, the drug testing clinics for jobs don’t watch you pee in the bathroom.

Good luck! I also think it could differ between an oral swab and piss test, so keep that in mind. Also, if you’re peeing for a job, you could just take someone else’s pee? I’ve done that before, the drug testing clinics for jobs don’t watch you pee in the bathroom.

Yeah, there are all kinds of tricks. It’s just not worth the risk. Have to keep these kids fed. I work an office job but in oil and gas so it’s really conservative. My previous gig doing the same thing never tested. This one I have already had a random.

2 hours ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

They test the temperature of the urine when you submit it.

They watch you take randoms at my job. Yes you can borrow someone’s piss, but damn that’s dirty.

i got a bottle of full spectrum from extractlabs about a week ago.  all of their products are supposed be <.3% THC, but again, who really knows.  Other than the first two days it possibly gave me a mild stomach ache, i have liked the results.  I took it in the morning and it did seem to have a calming effect and ease anxiety.  My work does not test (and i have not smoked or partaken since college) so not too worried about it right now, but if I started looking elsewhere to work, I would probably buy a home test.

I have not noticed an improvement in sleep, but I have not taken it in the evening either.

PSA. extractlabs is having trouble getting a bank to process credit card payment for them so they are offering 40% off to use an echeck.  They were taking only MC when i ordered, but I guess that has fallen through as well.  Another big FU from the government on the banking side.

I asked my primary physician about if this is ok to take if I’m on blood pressure, cholesterol, and acid reflux meds and she of course said “no” with anger and animation. Not sure if that’s true as anything that poses a threat to their bottom line not FDA approved is evil.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I asked my primary physician about if this is ok to take if I’m on blood pressure, cholesterol, and acid reflux meds and she of course said “no” with anger and animation. Not sure if that’s true as anything that poses a threat to their bottom line not FDA approved is evil.

It seems to me that doctors generally parrot out whatever the AMA or similar association says, and those just parrot out whatever big pharma/Uncle Sam say. For example “fat is bad for you”.

• Like 1

It's not illegal at all. Farm Bill of 2018 outside should have told you.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2018/12/14/the-farm-bill-hemp-and-cbd-explainer/

Seriously, ordered it off the internet at cbdmd.com.  They even offer express shipping.

also I've heard good things about that cbddistillery.com company that IPDF uses.  another good resource would be reddit.com/r/cbd, those folks have good information.  Well, some of them do.  It's reddit.  ymmv.

Dp

One thing that seems super-odd to me about these meds is that  you can either take them orally or apply topically, seemingly for the same condition, to wit, joint pain.
I'm no doctor, or pharmacologist, but I cannot think of a single other medication that may either be applied topically or taken orally for the same condition.  I'm sure there are a few, but it seems rare.
This is not a knock on their efficacy.  I will take your word for it.  It is, I think, a comment on "amateur medicine."  Of course, look where professional medicine has got us.
In the mountain biking community, Floyd Landis sells some CBD products that the bikers seem to like.  https://floydsofleadville.com/  Knowing what we know of Floyd, and the fact that he's in Colorado, I might be careful about THC content.

The examples of medications being used orally and topically for the same condition, which come to kind for me, are...pain meds.

So maybe theses something to that similarity?

tl:dr CBD worked for me and the dog, almost miraculously for the dog. https://papaandbarkley.com is who I use. In California, they sell CBD with some THC in it. They ship CBD only (no THC) from Colorado. Do the drops, not the capsules. CBD uptake is much higher if you hold it under your tongue. It doesn't absorb well through the stomach and wastes most of it. Be careful where you buy from, hemp takes pollutants from the soil if they are there. 

As BearSchlong mentioned upthread, I was giving CBD to my 15 year old dog for seizures and pain. He had a pancreatic tumor that burned up his blood sugar as soon as he finished eating and his blood sugar was chronically low. That caused seizures which made everything much worse. Ever try to raise the blood sugar of a dog that is seizing from low blood sugar? Not fun. 

One day last November, he started having a severe seizure that we couldn't get back under control. I thought he was going to continue seizing until he died and if I'd been in Texas at the time, I probably couldn't have done anything about it. I was fortunately in California, so I raced to the closest dispensary and got CBD oil in a 30:1 CBD:THC ratio. As an aside, anything with more THC can be very bad, dogs don't process it well. 

I squeezed a little over 1/2 a dropper onto his gums, probably ~20-25mg CBD. I smeared some honey on them too and he snapped right out of it. I gave it to him twice a day after that in peanut butter or vanilla ice cream. 

The rest of the week, his seizures were increasingly weaker and less frequent. After a week, he never had another seizure again. He'd also had two knee surgeries and had pretty bad arthritis from them. The CBD visibly helped with his pain and improved his quality of life and mobility. 

I had to put him down at the start of May, but CBD got me 6 more good months with him.  5 of those months were substantially better than the six that had preceded them. 

I have also taken it for some pretty serious nerve pain and it helps quite a bit. It doesn't knock it out, but it noticeably dials down the intensity. 

From what I've gathered looking in to it, CBD works better with small amounts of THC. This is called the entourage effect. However, the CBD only stuff that papa & barkley sell works almost as well. I've used their drops and their balms. They're expensive, but they work well. The balm is great for muscle aches and pains, but is a lot more expensive per gram of CBD than the oil. If something really hurts a lot, I put a few drops of the oil on the spot, rub it in, then apply the balm to help that set and soak in. 

CBD comes in all sorts of dosages and ways to take it, so the best way to compare is to calculate out $/mg. In terms of how you absorb it, Vaping/smoking > Under tongue > absorption in stomach. 

• Like 3

On 6/20/2019 at 10:07 AM, I Plead Da Fif said:

I guess I have it easy in software engineering. Just took my girl’s fresh piss in a travel sized shampoo bottle, went to testing facility, got job.

Even that was really rare, because it was for Aetna, the health insurance company.

Yeah, testing is pretty rare in the tech industry. The only time I ever tested was when I was involved with the federal government and needed clearances.

A 55 year.old friend of mine who lives in the Detroit burbs has had back & leg pains off & on for several years recently flew to Scotland for a week of golf. He has used CBD cream successfully for pain relief before the trip. His pains started acting up again at St. Andrews and worsened after the flight home, so he applied the cream which helped it disappear. He is considering taking the oral version in the future as an alternative. I have no idea what the THC content is of the stuff he used, but he is a believer. And he is a very straight-laced MAGA type.

Mrs. Brat has suffered lower back pain intermittently since she had an epidural to deliver our youngest kid in 1972. Her doctors have always recommended “exercises”, but those always prove ineffective. I have tried to get her to see my chiropractor, but that is a no-go for her. Dunno why, as he has helped my lower back problems greatly over the past 3 years.  Anyway, I wonder if the topical CBD cream would be of any benefit to her. On the other hand, is it even legal in Texas yet? Also, she is developing arthritis in her hands, and it is starting to affect their functionality. Maybe it could help that condition?

Edited by Armybrat

A 55 year.old friend of mine who lives in the Detroit burbs has had back & leg pains off & on for several years recently flew to Scotland for a week of golf. He has used CBD cream successfully for pain relief before the trip. His pains started acting up again at St. Andrews and worsened after the flight home, so he applied the cream which helped it disappear. He is considering taking the oral version in the future as an alternative. I have no idea what the THC content is of the stuff he used, but he is a believer. And he is a very straight-laced MAGA type.
Mrs. Brat has suffered lower back pain intermittently since she had an epidural to deliver our youngest kid in 1972. Her doctors have always recommended “exercises”, but those always prove ineffective. I have tried to get her to see my chiropractor, but that is a no-go for her. Dunno why, as he has helped my lower back problems greatly over the past 3 years.  Anyway, I wonder if the topical CBD cream would be of any benefit to her. On the other hand, is it even legal in Texas yet? Also, she is developing arthritis in her hands, and it is starting to affect their functionality. Maybe it could help that condition?

It’s worth a shot and it’s legal in Texas. I get mine from Peoples pharmacy in Austin.
  • Like 1

It’s been covered that it is legal in Texas. The problem is the inconsistency among vendors and even within bottles from the same vendor, in the amount of THC present, despite what they claim on the bottle. That inconsistency has led to failed drug tests. 

If there is no concern for a failed drug test, knock yourself out.

• Like 1