College basketball three-point line moved back to international distance

Machinator

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-06-05/mens-college-basketball-3-point-line-extended-international

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches in men’s basketball.

The rule will be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I. Due to the potential financial impact of placing a new line on courts, the new 3-point line will go into effect for the 2020-21 season in Divisions II and III.

Men’s Basketball Rules Committee members recommended the change after receiving positive feedback from the annual rules survey from coaches whose teams competed in the 2018 and 2019 National Invitation Tournament, where the international 3-point distance was used on an experimental basis.

The committee cited the following rationale for extending the line:

* Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.

* Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.

* Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.

Teams in the 2019 NIT averaged 23.1 field goal attempts in the tournament from behind the arc, compared with 22.8 3-point attempts in the 2018-19 regular season. The 3-point shooting percentage of teams in the 2019 NIT was 33%, compared with their regular season average of 35.2%.[/spoiler]

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I know that part, my question is why NCAA and NBA think the key should not be wider on the baselines like FIBA, or vice versa. 

Can’t get passed during the rule change years for NCAAs.  I think the NIT experimented with a wider lane last year. I think women will be going to a wider lane soon. NCAA men are always stubborn and slow when it comes to changes which is why they are the only level of basketball still doing halves and not quarters. (Thought that would change this year but guess not)

FIBA doesn’t do the trapezoid court anymore, but the NBA and FIBA courts are nearly the same actually.

If it helps, Im starting to see more wider courts during summer camps although we don’t use those markings...somebody does though.

44 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Can’t get passed during the rule change years for NCAAs.  I think the NIT experimented with a wider lane last year. I think women will be going to a wider lane soon. NCAA men are always stubborn and slow when it comes to changes which is why they are the only level of basketball still doing halves and not quarters. (Thought that would change this year but guess not)

FIBA doesn’t do the trapezoid court anymore, but the NBA and FIBA courts are nearly the same actually.

If it helps, Im starting to see more wider courts during summer camps although we don’t use those markings...somebody does though.

The last international game I saw had the trapezoid. I didn't realize they changed that.

42 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The last international game I saw had the trapezoid. I didn't realize they changed that.

You sure?  I haven't seen a FIBA trapezoid court in years.  Thought they changed it in 2010.  Even the Rio Olympics in 2016 was a rectangle/non-trapezoid court.  Oh well, I don't ref FIBA (no ma'am). 

But I think a wider lane a la the NBA is coming to women's basketball in the next 4-6 years.  As mentioned before, at times the men's side has to be dragged into the future with basketball.  I can't tell you how many coaches, players, and refs wanted to go to 4 quarters years ago.  

EDIT: It's possible they had a trapezoid court but not have been using FIBA rules which is odd because it seems like every country uses FIBA except America. 

Edited by Pancho Negro

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I know that part, my question is why NCAA and NBA think the key should not be wider on the baselines like FIBA, or vice versa. 

Wider lanes encourages more movement and better spacing due to there being a larger area of the court where offensive players aren't allowed to camp out and stand still. It's part of the reason European (and for that matter foreign big men as a whole) big men typically developed a more well rounded skill set than American big men in the past. As a matter of function a post up would take place further out from the basket with the old trapezoid lanes they FIBA used to have. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

You sure?  I haven't seen a FIBA trapezoid court in years.  Thought they changed it in 2010.  Even the Rio Olympics in 2016 was a rectangle/non-trapezoid court.  Oh well, I don't ref FIBA (no ma'am). 

But I think a wider lane a la the NBA is coming to women's basketball in the next 4-6 years.  As mentioned before, at times the men's side has to be dragged into the future with basketball.  I can't tell you how many coaches, players, and refs wanted to go to 4 quarters years ago.  

EDIT: It's possible they had a trapezoid court but not have been using FIBA rules which is odd because it seems like every country uses FIBA except America. 

Serious question cuz I don’t know - what are the advantages to quarters vs halves?

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Putting television viewership aside, quarters and halves probably don’t  have a material difference.  I go back and forth on whether I want it or not.  

Really, I’d prefer they just emulate the NBA’s tv timeout rules because college seems to have a much choppier flow with less continuous game time without a commercial than the NBA.  But the NBA also plays longer games, and my current fear is changing college to a quarters system would just mean they add an extra tv timeout in each half on top of what they already do.

There are 8 tv timeouts (not including team called timeouts) in men’s right now.  In women’s, there are only 4 at one tv time per quarter. 

I also fully recognize there’s more $$$ in men so you could be right in that they don’t want to mess with that and do something screwy with the tv timeouts if they went to quarters.  

As opposed to when the regular season really meant a lot. 

Attention spans and options for fans are shorter and more plentiful respectively. So yes it hasn’t mattered a lot in a while now but the world is changing around it.

They are nowhere near this yet but the NBA would be wise to watch the MLB and learn what happens when fans get bored with your game (several problems in MLB but beyond pace of play chief among them is that games are now predominantly nuclear warfare of strikeouts and home runs)

14 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Attention spans and options for fans are shorter and more plentiful respectively. So yes it hasn’t mattered a lot in a while now but the world is changing around it.

They are nowhere near this yet but the NBA would be wise to watch the MLB and learn what happens when fans get bored with your game (several problems in MLB but beyond pace of play chief among them is that games are now predominantly nuclear warfare of strikeouts and home runs)

The NBA has actually done a few things recently to try and combat that. They changed seeding rules to where seeds #1-#8 are strictly by record and tiebreakers - where it used to be the 3 division winners then the next 5 best records.

They've also redone the lottery percentages to dissuade teams from tanking - as there is less of a guarantee to get a high draft pick or get the #1 pick simply by being the worst team in the league. 

So I think they are conscious of it. It's always going to be an uphill battle fighting for viewership when you play 80 games in a season, however. 

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Counterpoint.  Wider lanes and the three point line where it is is slowly turning the NBA game into a three point shooting contest (though the fact that the regular season means jack and shit is a much bigger problem at this point)

Was going to point this out. One thought to help bring back the importance of post play and the big man is to bring back the keyhole style lane and FT circle like in the old days. Not sure when it changed to where the sides of the lane reached the outer part of the circle -- 40's or 50's?

20 hours ago, Pancho said:

Improve pace of play

It's less about the quarters themselves as it is about the resetting of team fouls after each quarter that improves the pace of play. They did this in the NIT, which is why the games were referred to a few times as pseudo-quarters.

Also, eliminating the 1&1 would be a good idea.

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

When just about every team is eligible for the playoffs (exxagerting a bit) the regular season loses much of it's significance.  It's become a 9 guys stand around, and watch one guy drive to the basket game. Boring as fuck IMO.

It hasn't been this since the 90s and early 2000s. There's way more movement the ball and people in the NBA today than just 10 years ago. 

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

It hasn't been this since the 90s and early 2000s. There's way more movement the ball and people in the NBA today than just 10 years ago. 

I don't watch much NBA any more so I'll take you word... but I watched a couple games a few weeks back, and I saw lots of standing around, and watching the ball handler.

Oh you were talking about the NBA. Houston is really the only team who plays anything close to what you're describing. And they're an anomaly due to having James Harden. Ironically the Rockets head coach was the forerunner of the constant movement theology that has swept the NBA lately, but he's changed his style to adapt to Harden's otherworldly iso game. 

And it killed Houston this year. They moved the ball much better last season. This year changed after the terrible start and Paul injury to start the year. James HAD to start putting up 50 a night to crawl back into the top 4 of the West and they never changed after that. They never got back to the moderate amount of ball movement they had last season.