Nevermind

Deej

On 6/5/2019 at 9:49 PM, usmc0331horn said:

In Utero was probably they're most Nirvana album. Live at Reading and Unplugged are two of the best live albums ever. Nevermind still bangs though.

The performance of "Scentless Apprentice" at "Live & Loud" might be peak Nirvana badassery.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy shit, I just watched that for the first time in years.  Uh, yeah.

Haha hell yeah man. 

Dave fucking murders the drums in that performance.  And having Pat there just takes the face melting to the next level.

The songs of Nevermind, with Steve Albini a la In Utero would have been great.

It's crazy how wildly different the sound and production on the 3 Nirvana albums are.  Bleach re-recorded with Steve Albini and Dave Grohl would be amazing.  It's hard for me to listen to these days with the tinny drum sound and wildly inferior drumming.  Butch Vig's production really helped Nevermind explode, but it definitely sounds dated today.  In Utero is unquestionably the best sounding Nirvana album, and arguably their best.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I disagree strongly.  I struggle to separate my personal feelings for Vig and Albini, both of whom I find less than compelling, nice individuals (from personal experience), and neither of whom I appreciate as "engineers", from the final product.  Vig got saved by Andy Wallace on "Nevermind".  That's just a fact.  The mix is fantastic.  On the other hand, Albini fucks up just about everything he touches.  His dogmatic insistence that he's not part of the aesthetic team combined with his ridiculous drum micing technique is absurd, and it translates on throughout his recordings.  To me, they sound amateurish and phasey.  

Plus, he's a dick.  Vig is mostly just a harmless nerd who (perhaps inadvertently) steals other people's music.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

I think Steve Albini is pretentious as hell, but I just really like the sound on In Utero.  It fits Nirvana really well.

There's something about the guitar sound on Nevermind that reminds me of the original mix of Pearl Jam's "Ten".  I love the songs, and the production is definitely not a deal breaker, but to my ears it sounds completely specific to 1990-1992.

In Utero isn't obviously of a specific time, and I like that a lot.

20 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

What do you mean? It was released on the No Alternative compilation album a couple of months after it was recorded in ‘93.

Cobain recorded a version of it in the 80s and the band tinkered with it several times. It's one of my favorite nirvana tunes

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think Steve Albini is pretentious as hell, but I just really like the sound on In Utero.  It fits Nirvana really well.

There's something about the guitar sound on Nevermind that reminds me of the original mix of Pearl Jam's "Ten".  I love the songs, and the production is definitely not a deal breaker, but to my ears it sounds completely specific to 1990-1992.

In Utero isn't obviously of a specific time, and I like that a lot.

In Utero is just a badass album that always sounds fresh. I also sort of agree with Nevermind. I try to listen to it now and find myself wanting to listen to Unplugged or Live at Reading instead.

I can hardly think of anything more overrated than Steve Albini.  

He got famous for being a blowhard.   Definitely not for being good at audio engineering.  His stuff sounds fucking terrible.  

Sometimes I daydream that the brakes fail on Courtney Barnett’s tour bus, and the passengers scream in terror as it slams at top speed right into Albini’s shitty studio.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

In Utero is just a badass album that always sounds fresh. I also sort of agree with Nevermind. I try to listen to it now and find myself wanting to listen to Unplugged or Live at Reading instead.

On a related note, Live at the Paramount is goddamn amazing to me.  It's probably my favorite Nirvana to listen to... it was recorded at the Paramount Theater in Seattle on Halloween night, 1991, only a couple of months after the release of Nevermind.   

So the band wasn't quite being crushed by the wave of instant fame just yet, and they just sound amazing.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

On a related note, Live at the Paramount is goddamn amazing to me.  It's probably my favorite Nirvana to listen to... it was recorded at the Paramount Theater in Seattle on Halloween night, 1991, only a couple of months after the release of Nevermind.   

So the band wasn't quite being crushed by the wave of instant fame just yet, and they just sound amazing.

Has that come out on Vinyl yet? Ive been wanting to add that one.

50 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Curious...  What are your favorite albums?  From a production/mixing standpoint.  

Well, my favorite recording/mixing mastering period would almost surely be the 1970's, at least prior to  drums getting all fucked up without bottom heads and too many microphones.  Off the top of my head, besides the inadvertent topic of this thread, I'd say cherry picking by memory across a few decades:

Heart "Little Queen"

AC/DC "Back In Black"

Ray LaMontagne "Til The Sun Turns Black"

Lyle Lovett " . . . and His Large Band"

Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon"

Thomas Dolby "Aliens Ate My Buick"

Supertramp "Breakfast In America"

Los Lobos "Kiko"

Led Zeppelin "IV"

Gerry Rafferty "City to City"

The Police "Zenyatta Mondatta"

Some of those wouldn't make my list of Desert Island Discs, and some would probably be ridiculed for sound quality if you polled 100 hifi guys, but off the top of my head, those are all albums I can think off that I consider "sonic candy".

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That Large Band recoding is insanely good imo.

Yeah, it's the perfect mix of live but well-separated.  That opening track is one I take with me to audio stores and the sales guys are almost always apoplectic:  "what the hell is that?"

I love a great big band.

And then . . . "Nobody Knows Me".  No better cheatin' ballad, ever.  Just fantastic.  Damn, he's so smart.  And he's an Aggie.  LOL.

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, my favorite recording/mixing mastering period would almost surely be the 1970's, at least prior to  drums getting all fucked up without bottom heads and too many microphones.  Off the top of my head, besides the inadvertent topic of this thread, I'd say cherry picking by memory across a few decades:

Heart "Little Queen"

AC/DC "Back In Black"

Ray LaMontagne "Til The Sun Turns Black"

Lyle Lovett " . . . and His Large Band"

Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon"

Thomas Dolby "Aliens Ate My Buick"

Supertramp "Breakfast In America"

Los Lobos "Kiko"

Led Zeppelin "IV"

Gerry Rafferty "City to City"

The Police "Zenyatta Mondatta"

Some of those wouldn't make my list of Desert Island Discs, and some would probably be ridiculed for sound quality if you polled 100 hifi guys, but off the top of my head, those are all albums I can think off that I consider "sonic candy".

I know this board has mixed opinions on Springsteen but I always loved Born to Run in this vein. It's almost perfect imo - at least for me.

(I don't have it on vinyl, though - heard that the original mix was poor and it's gotten better as a digital remaster)

Edited by ztejas