Yogurt shop murders

JimmyJames

48 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Let me spare you the suspense. Forrest and his dipshit crew of misfits didn’t do it. The partial DNA evidence they did get eventually proved that.  It should have been obvious without that long ago.

Apparently the FBI has evidence regarding the known partial DNA samples that may eventually help solve the crime, which they inexplicably refuse to share with Travis County prosecutors for “privacy” reasons and because they claim it “probably” won’t help. This begs the question as to how they know it “probably” wont help. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. Maybe we should test that out chief. 

This case has stunk from the beginning and the smell of it gets worse every single day.

I am somewhat slightly personally torn because for the families sake and for justice sake I want it solved, but am also afraid what it may ultimately lead to and the damage it may do to my own town’s reputation for not having solved it much earlier and for what really might have happened. But ultimately I say fuck that and the latter is immaterial, solve it and let the chips fall where they may. 

Thanks but you're not sparing me any suspense.

I was a senior on the 40 in December 1991. Don't really remember many details, but the story rings a bell.  I did just finish the book, "I'll Be Gone In the Dark" about the Golden State Killer.  They caught that fucker after all those years using DNA, they need to get off their asses and solve this one. 

22 hours ago, Bevo said:

I spoke with someone recently who is extremely knowledgeable about crime scenes and crime labs. One of the issues with this case as I understand it is that the first information received by authorities was that there was a fire. Firemen entered the burning building and unwittingly destroyed a lot of evidence in the process. So not only did the fire itself ruin a lot of evidence, the control of the fire also caused problems for investigators.

The closed and highly managed crime scenes you see on TV now are from lessons learned from OJ/Nicole Brown.  I know someone who was with the FBI that worked on the OJ crime scene and the amount of evidence thrown out due to crime scene mismanagement is mind boggling.

In addition to the fire dept watering everything down the local news trampled all over the yogurt shop crime scene. Rumor is some camera guys have PTSD from that scene as they were the ones that found the bodies.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 8:54 PM, atomheartbevo said:

This turned out to be a prescient post. Given the FBI has had relevant info on this since at least 2013, if not much earlier, yet is keeping it to themselves..

I have never heard of the FBI withholding evidence from another law enforcement investigation for privacy reasons. Ever. Especially in a murder investigation. Especially in an incredibly heinous murder investigation, even if old, of four girls aged 17, 17, 15 and 13 years old.

This case continues to set the mark. Not only is this a crime that “never happens here,”this is a crime that never happens anywhere. 

Yet that’s what’s happening here. 

Edited by JimmyJames

• 1 year later...

Well now where coming up close to the 30 year anniversary of this incredibly heinous crime and despite having DNA evidence still not close to solving it.

December 6 1991. That’s when it took place. 

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2020/02/10/dna-discovery-austin-yogurt-shop-murders-sparks-fbi-standoff/4713168002/

The FBI has evidence that might help solve it. But they won’t release it due to alleged privacy concerns.

Huh. Interesting to say the least. 

• Like 1

None of the girls killed were 16 so no, and they’d never name a minor victim in a case like that. I don’t think there’s a connection at all. I think two psychos that had been to the shop before and knew the closing procedure just hastily thought up a plan and went ahead with it. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

None of the girls killed were 16 so no, and they’d never name a minor victim in a case like that. I don’t think there’s a connection at all. I think two psychos that had been to the shop before and knew the closing procedure just hastily thought up a plan and went ahead with it. 

Maybe so. Maybe not. Seems like maybe we should investigate the evidence and let’s see. 

Charles kolsteads home was raided by APD on October 31, 1991 for allegedly banging and photographing underage girls with APD cops. On December 6 1991, the FBI raided APD headquarters over the exact same shit. 

All of which is disputed of course. 

The murders occurred that same night. 

I could live with the coincidences if it had ever been solved. But it as has not.

And not only are the DAs not actively submitting the evidence to national database registry to attempt to solve the crime, we now have the FBI refusing to turn over information.

You draw your own conclusions.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, but even with the crazies living in Austin...we're not quite that fucking stupid.  Yet. 

So is there a working theory that somebody in law enforcement wound some guys up so tight they went and did these murders so as to cause a distraction from an internal investigation into sex rings involving local LEO's/county/state officers?  I'm honestly asking.  I've never really delved into this story having arrived in Austin shortly after it happened.  

51 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, but even with the crazies living in Austin...we're not quite that fucking stupid.  Yet. 

So is there a working theory that somebody in law enforcement wound some guys up so tight they went and did these murders so as to cause a distraction from an internal investigation into sex rings involving local LEO's/county/state officers?  I'm honestly asking.  I've never really delved into this story having arrived in Austin shortly after it happened.  

I've delved into some true crime stories inspired by the Kentucky Fried Chicken murders that happened in my home town when I was a kid. Those two cases have some common themes: ostensible robbery as motive combined with senseless murder of workers. The KFC case was supposedly solved, but there still is one perp unaccounted for (found his DNA at the scene, but it has not been identified). 

I've never heard that theory about the Yogurt Shop Murders. I have read some about it but definitely not a deep details. That seems pretty dark even for the darkest cops. It is still frustrating with all the new DNA technology and money thrown away at LE budgets that there is not a more emphasis on funding new DNA on a bunch of these old cases.

Back to the KFC case - hard for me to believe this guy raped and murdered someone in 1980 and never committed another crime (or none of his relatives did), i.e. his or his relatives DNA should be in the system. Same for the Yogurt Shop murders.

With so many private companies now solving cases, the Travis County DA's office should just circumvent the FBI and use one of those firms.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron

51 minutes ago, Lobo said:

56b1f0f6-7059-43be-8d8f-b5f6838bf4ab-lar

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, the posts above are cryptic as shit and are the functional equivalent of "connect the dots, SHEEPLE!"  Umm.....I'm not seeing any clear narrative.  Or maybe I'm just too lazy to do so.  In any case, I can't tell what those posts are getting at.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, the posts above are cryptic as shit and are the functional equivalent of "connect the dots, SHEEPLE!"  

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

agree on not knowing wtf is being hinted at...

On the 20th and 25th anniversaries of the murders, I poked around the internet, and came across all kinds of people "hinting" at wild shit happening within various groups in Austin, including APD, various wealthy individuals in the Austin area, things like pedophile rings, etc. and that it was being covered up all the way to the state level.  It was some real Qanon shit.

A whole lot of "I've seen the photos or video or I've seen emails or I know people that have" etc., but no names, and few specifics.  "I'm too scared to post details, I'll wind up dead" which is bullshit.  Plenty of places you can anonymously post stuff about local matters without fear of being caught, especially since this is not exactly national security related and a bunch of 3-letter federal agencies wouldn't be breathing down your neck.

If it was as explosive as they try to make it out to be, the story would have gotten out there, or these people who come across it would have revealed the names and places.

I keep circling back to it's just a bunch of internet trolls having fun taking potshots at Austin/APD/etc..  Which is normally fine, but it's also disrespectful to the girls and their families.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

We saying APD cops did it?

In. 

The issue is, there was enough corruption and nefarious stuff going on with APD at the time that it gives people something to grab onto.  Like Jamie Balagia.  Doesn’t matter if it’s true, the fact that the cops were crooked just flips the system on its head.  Same as it ever was.  

I could see the APD, State LEO, and even the FBI sitting on some coverup shit all these years so as not to blow up the public's trust in local PD.  But in 2020/2021/2022?  Come the fuck on.  This is the perfect time to bring some shit like this to light, public already distrusts the police more than ever.  May as well get it over with.  

There is cold case legislation in front of Congress this week that hopefully will be passed. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/cold-case-legislation-considered-in-congress-30-years-after-4-girls-were-murdered-at-an-austin-yogurt-shop/amp/

“The 1991 unsolved murder in Austin is part of a growing issue. According to the Murder Accountability Project, the number of homicide cases that led to someone being charged decreased from 90 percent in 1965 to 61 percent in 2019.“

I wonder why they haven’t sent the DNA (assuming they haven’t) to a place like Parabon nano labs which does all that DNA phenotyping and also works with genetic genealogy investigators. It’s how they have been solving a ton of cold cases. It’s incredible the number of cases that it has helped to solve. If you have DNA it can be solved. Off my soapbox. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I wonder why they haven’t sent the DNA (assuming they haven’t) to a place like Parabon nano labs which does all that DNA phenotyping and also works with genetic genealogy investigators. It’s how they have been solving a ton of cold cases. It’s incredible the number of cases that it has helped to solve. If you have DNA it can be solved. Off my soapbox. 

1234.  Even some police agencies who have held off are now buying into it.

As a genealogist on the side, I have some problems with parts of some of the processes being used to identify these people, or rather how the companies like Ancestry, etc. are handling the data and some of the opt-in/opt-out issues.  Genealogy customers of the various genealogy companies that handle genetic genealogy shouldn't have their DNA samples used unless they've voluntarily opted in, and that's slowly being worked out through lawsuits, etc.. And that's before we delve into the fact that if you opt in, you are opting in our entire blood family. I doubt few people ask the rest of their families if they are cool with their DNA being used in such a manner.

I also know that it would be rare to upload the data and not get a hit for a suspect's family member.  I have several thousand "4th cousins" on Ancestry.com alone, which is 6-12 degrees of separation (beyond 2nd-3rd cousins it gets hazy as the technology can't distinguish certain relations).  What that means for example is a true 4th cousin would be a shared great-great-great grandparent (5 up and 5 down).  It could also be my great-great-great-great grandparent might be a "4th cousin's" great-great-grandparent.

I'm just going to pop some popcorn and watch this play out over the next 10 years or so.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

There is cold case legislation in front of Congress this week that hopefully will be passed. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/cold-case-legislation-considered-in-congress-30-years-after-4-girls-were-murdered-at-an-austin-yogurt-shop/amp/

“The 1991 unsolved murder in Austin is part of a growing issue. According to the Murder Accountability Project, the number of homicide cases that led to someone being charged decreased from 90 percent in 1965 to 61 percent in 2019.“

More info in a new article linked to that one, that's from yesterday (Dec 5, 2021):

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/30-years-later-infamous-austin-yogurt-shop-murders-remain-unsolved/

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

I knew a guy from UT, and was pretty familiar with the events that led him into psychiatric care. So a year or so later, when he told me his sister dated a cop in homicide, and that she told him the cops were somehow involved, I chalked it up to crazy.

The FBI going dark makes me wonder if my conditioned response to such a claim was as accurate as I thought it was.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling

17 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I've delved into some true crime stories inspired by the Kentucky Fried Chicken murders that happened in my home town when I was a kid. Those two cases have some common themes: ostensible robbery as motive combined with senseless murder of workers. The KFC case was supposedly solved, but there still is one perp unaccounted for (found his DNA at the scene, but it has not been identified). 

I've never heard that theory about the Yogurt Shop Murders. I have read some about it but definitely not a deep details. That seems pretty dark even for the darkest cops. It is still frustrating with all the new DNA technology and money thrown away at LE budgets that there is not a more emphasis on funding new DNA on a bunch of these old cases.

Back to the KFC case - hard for me to believe this guy raped and murdered someone in 1980 and never committed another crime (or none of his relatives did), i.e. his or his relatives DNA should be in the system. Same for the Yogurt Shop murders.

With so many private companies now solving cases, the Travis County DA's office should just circumvent the FBI and use one of those firms.

One of the victims in the KFC murders left behind a preggers gf. I'm friends with the son that they had. Small world. As you might imagine the kid has been interested in the case over the years and followed it closely. It's been especially painful as it dragged on for so long and he was well into his 20's when it was finally, for the most part, resolved. He opposes the death penalty so was satisfied with the sentences handed down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

One of the victims in the KFC murders left behind a preggers gf. I'm friends with the son that they had. Small world. As you might imagine the kid has been interested in the case over the years and followed it closely. It's been especially painful as it dragged on for so long and he was well into his 20's when it was finally, for the most part, resolved. He opposes the death penalty so was satisfied with the sentences handed down. 

Small world II. I bought my very first iPod from him. I talked to him online for a little bit back in 2003. I'm glad he's found some peace. I can imagine how difficult it is not only losing a father but also in such a tragic, public way. IIRC his dad was the one that was not actually supposed to be there but took his bike up there to pick up another buddy and just offered to help clean up / close.

Another terrible part of the case was the idiot prosecutor just casually announcing in court in 2013(?) that one victim had been raped - and she had not briefed the family so this was literally the first time her widower and children had heard this. They seemed to have had a very happy, classic small town marriage, and I do not believe he ever re-married. The DNA from the assault is the third perp that has not been identified.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I knew a guy from UT, and was pretty familiar with the events that led him into psychiatric care. So a year or so later, when he told me his sister dated a cop in homicide, and that she told him the cops were somehow involved, I chalked it up to crazy.

The FBI going dark makes me wonder if my conditioned response to such a claim was as accurate as I thought it was.

Why would the FBI want to cover up for local cops? FBI agents and AUSA's get promoted for breaking that kind of case.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

More info in a new article linked to that one, that's from yesterday (Dec 5, 2021):

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/30-years-later-infamous-austin-yogurt-shop-murders-remain-unsolved/

I'm not tracking with the FBI's excuse around privacy. As I had understood it, if you're in the system you're in the system. Not obvious to me why the FBI would be unwilling to test DNA found at a crime scene against the different DNA databases.

30 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I'm not tracking with the FBI's excuse around privacy. As I had understood it, if you're in the system you're in the system. Not obvious to me why the FBI would be unwilling to test DNA found at a crime scene against the different DNA databases.

From that same article:

"In 2017, an Austin detective submitted a sampling of DNA evidence found in one of the victims into a Y-STR DNA database. Y-STR DNA is a specific form of a DNA profile that helps narrow in on male relatives of suspects, per Reporting Texas.

That evidence led to a match in the database system. As the Austin Police Department sought more information on who the matching donor was, the Federal Bureau of Investigation denied release of the evidence or related information, citing a federal statute that protects anonymous donors and prevents their identities from being disclosed."

Since when are murderers shielded from investigation and prosecution by privacy laws? Unless you have clones/identical-siblings, the DNA is immutable, assuming there's not planted evidence, etc.

Who doesn't want this lead investigated and why?

The DNA profile they have is only a partial profile using paternal lines. It can produce thousands of false positives, but it helps narrow the search. The downside is it can lead to privacy concerns and innocent people being falsely accused and irreparably harmed.  As an example, read about the Angie Dodge case in Idaho.  A true travesty that was bungled by police but finally solved within the last couple of years.  In that case, a guy from New Orleans was identified publicly as the killer/chief suspect, based on paternal DNA matches (like the one here) but it turned out to be a false positive. Oops, sorry bud. In that case, his Dad gave the sample to an ancestry website, but never signed anything that prevented law enforcement from looking at it.  The data was then sold to Ancestry.com, which allowed police to search it.  

Unlike that case, the FBI collected this sample in unknown ways for academic/forensic research purposes, but promised the donors anonymity.  They are reluctant to break that promise/agreement, and I do think they have a point (legally or otherwise).  You can read more about the issue here.

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

From that same article:

"In 2017, an Austin detective submitted a sampling of DNA evidence found in one of the victims into a Y-STR DNA database. Y-STR DNA is a specific form of a DNA profile that helps narrow in on male relatives of suspects, per Reporting Texas.

That evidence led to a match in the database system. As the Austin Police Department sought more information on who the matching donor was, the Federal Bureau of Investigation denied release of the evidence or related information, citing a federal statute that protects anonymous donors and prevents their identities from being disclosed."

Here in 2021, there is nothing stopping the APD from hiring one of the numerous forensic genealogy companies that have popped up and use commercial databases (Ancestry, etc.) as the FBI has no control over those databases. 

These little companies have been sprouting over the past few years - I've already had a couple of job offers from two different ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The DNA profile they have is only a partial profile using paternal lines. It can produce thousands of false positives, but it helps narrow the search. The downside is it can lead to privacy concerns and innocent people being falsely accused and irreparably harmed.  As an example, read about the Angie Dodge case in Idaho.  A true travesty that was bungled by police but finally solved within the last couple of years.  In that case, a guy from New Orleans was identified publicly as the killer/chief suspect, based on paternal DNA matches (like the one here) but it turned out to be a false positive. Oops, sorry bud. In that case, his Dad gave the sample to an ancestry website, but never signed anything that prevented law enforcement from looking at it.  The data was then sold to Ancestry.com, which allowed police to search it.  

Unlike that case, the FBI collected this sample in unknown ways for academic/forensic research purposes, but promised the donors anonymity.  They are reluctant to break that promise/agreement, and I do think they have a point (legally or otherwise).  You can read more about the issue here.

This right here.  They don't have the perp identified.  It is partial and there will be thousands of hits.  Don't want to ruin some innocent person's life.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This right here.  They don't have the perp identified.  It is partial and there will be thousands of hits.  Don't want to ruin some innocent person's life.

The question is are any of the historical suspects related to the person it identified?

or how many of those thousands of hits can be tied to the Austin area on or around the date of the murders. I bet you could trim it down to tens of people pretty quickly. 

I agree. It seems like if you could somehow ensure the investigation and any potential suspects would be kept 100% confidential until a full match is obtained (usually by the suspect discarding something with his DNA), I’d be okay with it ethically, putting legalities aside.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

From that same article:

Since when are murderers shielded from investigation and prosecution by privacy laws? Unless you have clones/identical-siblings, the DNA is immutable, assuming there's not planted evidence, etc.

Who doesn't want this lead investigated and why?

They don’t know who specifically it is. They know it could be one of a few hundred different people. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Fuck you. So let’s just ignore evidence that might solve a heinous murder because it might hurt someone’s feelers?

Fuck you again.. I’d rather solve the thing. Maybe you have different motivations. 

This entire case is a complete miscarriage of justice. One of the worst ever. 

On 12/9/2021 at 7:21 AM, williemackgarza said:

Back in the late 90s early 2000s APD homicide had some pretty good detectives I worked with. After the Hector Polanco, Jimmy Chapman types were purged. H Reveles and crew were no nonsense straight shooters. I couldnt see them covering anything up. But I guess anything is possible

None of those guys, who were good guys, covered anything up. The story is much more complicated than that.

The fact is there is DNA evidence that can lead to solving it. Speculation beyond that other than calling that out is just that. Test out the DNA. 

On 12/7/2021 at 2:18 PM, bschoolprof said:

Well I guess let’s just let the murderer get away with it then.

oh well.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, the posts above are cryptic as shit and are the functional equivalent of "connect the dots, SHEEPLE!"  Umm.....I'm not seeing any clear narrative.  Or maybe I'm just too lazy to do so.  In any case, I can't tell what those posts are getting at.

See here’s the deal brisket. I don’t know exactly who killed these girls. Most don’t. 

But what I do know is, enough to put any sort of bat shit a anon followers into an absolute frenzy, is that DNA exists that could solve it. 

But apparently nobody cares.

But I don’t post much about that. Why? Because there is actual dna that could solve the crime and starting in 2017 could actually produce a match! So why bother! If nobody cares! 

it’s apparently just one of your unsolved mysteries. Oh well.

See here’s the deal brisket. I don’t know exactly who killed these girls. Most don’t. 
But what I do know is, enough to put any sort of bat shit a anon followers into an absolute frenzy, is that DNA exists that could solve it. 

But apparently nobody cares.
But I don’t post much about that. Why? Because there is actual dna that could solve the crime and starting in 2017 could actually produce a match! So why bother! If nobody cares! 

it’s apparently just one of your unsolved mysteries. Oh well.

“Could” is doing some really heavy lifting here