Baldur’s Gate 3

Viper

Wow, maybe the only game that was kind of close to me in quality for that style of RPG (over so many years now) to Baldur's Gate 2 was Divinity 2, and it turns out that same studio is making BG3.  Definitely intrigued.

Yeah I am super hyped for this and a couple weeks back didn't even know it was a thing.  This is supposed to be a Stadia launch title right?  So that would mean its going to be out by November of this year?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I've never been a fan of Early Access on story based RPG. I want to wait till all bugs removed so that I can enjoy the story without risk of having to do it all over again.

Yeah this is kind of me.  I am sure I will play it at some point though.  It's hard to believe BG2 came out 20 years ago.  It immediately became my favorite CRPG of all time, at the time.  I should be more enthusiastic about BG3 given that.  Even though I enjoyed both of the OS games, I'm not sure this a game Larian can knock out of the park.  The OS games had a level of...whimsy?  that doesn't belong in a BG game but I'm afraid will be.

6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I've never been a fan of Early Access on story based RPG. I want to wait till all bugs removed so that I can enjoy the story without risk of having to do it all over again.

Yeah, reading this is more like Divinity Original Sin 2 (just with D&D rulesets), doesn't bother me, but the bugs do.  If I play through it during early access/bugpalooza, I am not going to be too motivated to play back through it later on.  I'm in my 40s with little kids, I don't have time to replay games like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've enjoyed my time in it thus far. Playing via Stadia, so I've been testing both controller (TV) and kb/m (Mac Air). The controller is a bit whacky, but Larian indicated its not dialed in yet (part of the early access lower priorities). I don't mind playing in the early access, as my availability to play is pretty damned random...so I can't ever simply play through a game. I can jump in / out of this one pretty easily, especially with Stadia's ease of access.

I've had a couple of crashes...one which pissed me off due to a miraculous success that I'd just had, the other which made me happy due to a miraculous failure. Hah!  It's a super cool game and if you're a fan of the series, I would recommend it.

Played some over the weekend.  Enough to get a full party (4 in this game) and get midway through character level 2 (EA is capped at level 4).  It's an ok game but it feels WAY more like a Divine Divinity OS game than a BG game, and not because of the turn based combat.  Its all the goddamn surface and physics effects.  There are lots of places you have to jump.  Too many barrels filled with oil.  And it seems that every elemental damage item or spell leaves some kind of surface effect even if its only under the target.  I thought this was out of hand by the second OS.  It's not as bad here but its noticeable and takes away from the DND 5E experience...which is new to me btw...I'm not sure what the last DND CRPG I played was but I don't think it was 5E.

There is a visual dice roll mechanic when you attempt skill checks in conversations, its pretty cool but it encourages save scumming IMO.  Also you get stuck with whatever character did the talking (or was talked to) so like if you need wizardy type skill check but your fighter started the conversation, SOL.  I don't like that.

Inventory is a mess.  95% of the containers in the world are empty and 50% of the loot you pick up is trash, and not even vendor trash due to each character having a Strength influenced carry limit.

The spell effects are pretty varied and well done.

FWIW I have a 2060 and had a lot of graphics issues with their native Vulkan engine until I upgraded to the latest Nvidia driver.  They also have a DX11 option that did work for me but its not as good looking IMO.

I'm sure I will play again but I'm not jonesing for it which says a lot about the game.  DND game with turn based combat is 100% my wheelhouse.  Does anyone remember Temple of Elemental Evil?  I played the shit out of that and that game SUCKED outside of the combat engine.

Lastly, aside from the limited number of classes (just 6) and the content and level cap...it does not feel like an early access title to me.  Like if I had just bought the game sight unseen, knowing nothing about OS or BG, I would be thinking this was a 'finished' game at the point I am at.  Which is not to say its flawless by any means but just that it has more polish and less bugs than other release day games I've played.

Edited by Hozz
EA comment

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I think this game was a Kickstarter in like 2017...finally coming out for PC on Aug 3.  PS5 on Sep 6.  Xbox TBD.  If you preorder the game on Steam (maybe Epic or other PC platforms too) you get access to the release game early on Jul 31. 

One last "panel from hell" before release this Friday.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the game a lot but I still feel like it's DOS3 set in the Forgotten Realms rather than an actual BG3.  Like so many combats just have barrels of shit waiting to explode near by and all sorts of Z axis shenanigans that are not maybe clear initially to the player but the AI will make a beeline for.

But yeah, what a game.  Crazy amount of character customization, fantastic voice acting and so many things that can influence dialogue.  Seems like a massive hit too, like MASSIVE.  450K people playing the game on Steam at 9a central on a Friday.  3rd most popular game on Steam at the moment and the top 10 are almost all multiplayer FPS shit.

23 hours ago, freyguy said:

Should I get this on PS5, or will it be severely limited, compared to PC?

I mean if you have a good PC the answer is almost always PC.

I will say that like all Larian games inventory is a nightmare...terrible with a mouse and keyboard I can only imagine what it would be like with a gamepad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any bugs or performance issues? I played DOS2 after it cleared early access and it took several months before they patched up a bunch of bugs and added some QOL changes. I know BG3 has a bigger budget and staff, plus even more institutional knowledge at this point, but I'm still curious if I should let it ferment a little longer. Been hearing nothing but praises so far.

I just entered Act 3, about 60 hours in for me.  So far, no crazy bugs.  I have had a handful of out of place dialogues where someone will say something that maybe didn't happen or has not happened yet but these are your camp conversations I am talking about and not that big of a deal.  Having played EA I was expecting more bugs and/or a more bare bones story/world when it came to Act 2 and beyond, the content that was not play tested by millions for 3 years.  I am happy to say that this just isn't the case.  

I have seen a few rules bugs and had a character roll around with a ! over his head for a while, which means he has something to talk about with you, even though he didn't have anything new to talk about it.

I am running it on a 4070ti @4k 60fps and it has never dipped below 60 that I have noticed.  That said, I have heard that Act 3 has some frame rate killing environments.  I have had exactly 1 crash.  Technically the game is in a much better state than DOS/DOS2 were at release.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently bought the XBox X for Starfield, but couldn't get into it.  The BG3 release came just in time.  I'm still finding my way through Act I, having started over a couple of times, but it checks all of my boxes.  My only complaint is that I'd prefer another female companion or two.  

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

I recently bought the XBox X for Starfield, but couldn't get into it.  The BG3 release came just in time.  I'm still finding my way through Act I, having started over a couple of times, but it checks all of my boxes.  My only complaint is that I'd prefer another female companion or two.  

There's 3 in the first act!

58 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There's 3 in the first act!

Technically that's true, but for personal preferences when it comes to rpg romances, I'm a bit of a racist, so the githyanki and tiefling don't really excite me.  I'll likely go down those paths eventually, but will do so as a dragon born or deep gnome to make it completely absurd.  

48 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Technically that's true, but for personal preferences when it comes to rpg romances, I'm a bit of a racist, so the githyanki and tiefling don't really excite me.  I'll likely go down those paths eventually, but will do so as a dragon born or deep gnome to make it completely absurd.  

Lulz my first playthrough was a Duegar rogue dude and the romance scenes were hilarious. Depending on your playthrough you can pick up Minthara too

Posted (edited)

dunno, man...

baldurs_gate_3_romance_laezel.0.jpg

Sure, she's green, scaly, has weird markings all over her, the ears of a goblin, scrawny as a poorly watered sapling, the nose of the Crypt Keeper, the kindness of a fire and brimstone Southern preacher combined with a rock, but other than THAT, what else is wrong with her?

Edited by Rimbo
  • Prepare your anus 1

15 hours ago, Rimbo said:

also, if you don't think Karlach is hot, I dunno what to tell you

i mean she's literally on fire

Literally hot, I agree, but not dating material...at least not with my current character.  

15 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Shadowheart is the way to go in that respect.

It's the obvious choice for the straight man who wants a somewhat traditional romance with somewhat human nutjob.  The fact that it is the only choice is disappointing.