Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

Didn't see a discussion on this. Our enlightened city council is looking to repeal the current panhandling ordinance in order to let the homeless set up camps in your driveway.

https://www.statesman.com/opinion/20190604/opinion-we-need-more-time-to-talk-before-acting-on-homeless-laws

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/410823421-video

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

If shit in the streets by the ton is good enough for San Francisco and Portland, well by God it's good enough for us!

While Portland has a higher volume, their homeless are mostly just drugged out zombies. Just sad to see when you walk around the downtown area.

San Fran has the worst homeless population of anywhere I’ve ever been. Many of them are simply super mean & hyper-aggressive wastes of oxygen. I’m ready for a physical fight at all times walking around there. I fucking hate that city.

• Like 9

Don't let the timing fool you on this proposal to build a new shelter.

Back in 2017 the Presbyterian (?) Church bought the lot next to the ARCH and had a proposal for a 70K ft archive for their records in addition to a 30 story mixed use, commercial, residential tower. 

The Council didn't just wake up and decide that it was time to act out of the goodness of their hearts.

We have a Honeless in Pampa name J . T . He walk's around town all the time and people say HEY J . T .and he say HEY MAN and keep on walkin well one day I was driving tryina husle some of these Arby sandwich'es and i see J . T . Walkin outside he always wore a full Cowboy suit look like a Black Cowboy and I said HEY J . T . DO U NEED A RIDE  and he said NO MAN I'M IN A HURRY . so I left him I think he is dead now I havent seen him in a while .

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I can’t believe this is the first I’m hearing of it. Is there a single city in the country with that type of policy that isn’t a fucking mess because of it? And besides the filth, I wouldn’t feel comfortable walking with my youngins. San Fran is the most vile city I’ve ever been in, and I see multiple street fights between partiers and homeless people every time I go. Our city counsel is entirely incapable of looking at any problem from more than a single angle.

• Like 1

Just now, MissingInAction said:

If you want to see how filthy it will get just drive under 183 via cameron road.

That entire underpass is a total third world shit hole.

I wish they would start setting up camps under Mopac going into Tarrytown... shit might actually change then

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Tell me more about this Scottsdale 

Scottsdale prohibits and strictly enforces no public camping laws and our parks are closed at night.  There are churches that provide services but most homeless have chosen to move to nearby cities.  

27 minutes ago, SDG said:

Scottsdale prohibits and strictly enforces no public camping laws and our parks are closed at night.  There are churches that provide services but most homeless have chosen to move to SF & Austin.

Fify

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I wish they would start setting up camps under Mopac going into Tarrytown... shit might actually change then

Well if this ordinance goes into effect, then that might actually happen. It’s not a coincidence they aren’t there while the cops have the authority to make them move

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s not a 105 in those cities in July and August.  Our heat weeds out a lot of homeless.  

those fuckers will still stand on street corners in 105 degree heat begging for change.  they have conviction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I worked on lake austin blvd for years. They have been there for a good while ( and down by the river ) though not as obvious as other underpasses.

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

Jeez, what do y'all want to happen exactly to these people? Just make them 'disappear'?

well, we tolerate them.  but toleration has it's limits.  allowing the fucking leeches to society free reign over every where is a fucking limit.  they basically do that now, but we have some laws which protect us from their bullshit.  right now, they are the nuisance.  if this passes, we become the nuisance to their free loading.

and yea, it's easy to make them disappear.  ban panhandling.  pass/enforce loitering laws.  enforce trespassing laws.  make their lives hard by being here.  make them feel unwelcomed.

appeasing them and passing laws to make them feel more welcome is not resolving anything other than giving them a legal right to be bigger assholes.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

well, we tolerate them.  but toleration has it's limits.  allowing the fucking leeches to society free reign over every where is a fucking limit.  they basically do that now, but we have some laws which protect us from their bullshit.  right now, they are the nuisance.  if this passes, we become the nuisance to their free loading.

and yea, it's easy to make them disappear.  ban panhandling.  pass/enforce loitering laws.  enforce trespassing laws.  make their lives hard by being here.  make them feel unwelcomed.

appeasing them and passing laws to make them feel more welcome is not resolving anything other than giving them a legal right to be bigger assholes.

That’d be easy if entire counties of Californians weren’t moving to TX annually.   

Texans love people.   We love to help people. But damn. Those that love to not help themselves are sometimes hard to love to help.  

/No CR

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 7

51 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps building a gigantic homeless shelter in the middle of downtown Austin wasn't the greatest idea ever. 

Is that the one that the homeless people don't like to go to because there are homeless people there and those people are really dirty, nasty and dangerous? [/"No one goes there any more, it's too crowded - Yogi Berra"]

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

fwiw, Casar on the subject

sharing not as a reflection of my views but as a counterpoint to the statesman op ed

All that he's "clearing up" is that repealing this ordinance won't violate any state or federal laws. Not something I was worried about.

I don't want another Seattle here. It's a fucking shithole these days. I have neighbors that moved here from Seattle last year and they talk about being worried Austin is headed in the same direction.

My property backs up to a portion of the greenbelt that people already like to illegally camp out in and treat like a 24/7 public park/4X4 trail. In order for the police to do shit about this when called, they have to get out of their cars and actually walk into the greenbelt. Which they are seemingly averse to.

Our neighborhood basically has to report that we see people back there with weapons and alcohol in order to get the police to do their jobs.

3 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Jeez, what do y'all want to happen exactly to these people? Just make them 'disappear'?

I can tell you that easing up on where they can live and what they can do does nothing to solve the root problems and/or treat their mental health. If anything, it's going to actively turn a lot more people against them, and stigmatize them (as a whole) a lot farther, given that it will be abused.

I've got a good friend that I've known for almost 20 years, and she can be the hippiest flower girl you know, complete with having done stints in the Peace Corps, Greenpeace, some turtle-saving project down in Panama, spending several months a year in Africa working on water projects and women's rights, etc.  When she's not overseas, she's back-and-forth working between Austin, San Francisco, and Portland.

Get her talking about the homeless in SF, and she's damn near ready for a Final Solution.

The problem is, a lot of the problems with homeless people can't be solved at the city level, because the problem is too big, and it's fed by other cities.  If one big city in a state stomps out the homeless/makes it difficult for them to live there, they'll move elsewhere.  Smaller cities can make it difficult for them, so they move to bigger cities, etc.  Ideally we'd get these people into a mental health system of some sort, at the state level.

Fine idiots $1000 if they give money to panhandlers. 

Take the fine money and build a treatment house that isn't located right next to one of the biggest entertainment districts in the country.

The people who give money to panhandlers feel good about themselves for a moment, but they don't realize that their money will be injected into the guy's arm within 30 minutes, in 95% of the case.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Do what San Antonio did.  Spend a couple million on a facility in Far East Austin that is equipped to receive the homeless and parter with local charities, church, community colleges and hospitals to provide these people a real chance to end their homelessness.  Do this in concert with passing very strict anti panhandling, trespassing, vagrancy, loitering laws and allowed trained officers to routinely patrol popular locations where homeless gather and transport them to this new facility.  Those with drug/alcohol problems or mental disorders will be put into a program (also located on site) while the others are monitored then moved into a halfway house type of situation and given food/clothing.  Once they’ve hit the minimum required stay they can be placed into an optional vocational training program and put on a path to gain employment with a city/community partner and moved into an additional halfway house outside of the intake facility.  Have a three strikes policy and then assign those that violate it real jail time as a deterrent for those who are picked up on their third time.  This would give those that want a path out of homelessness a real chance to turn their lives around and remove the homeless by choice from our streets. 

That should take care about 75% of the problem. For the remaining 25%, need to bring back long-term/permanent residential mental health facilities.

• Like 5