Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

17 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The underpasses all have notices on them saying no camping now.  Between that and the downtown ban they are no longer visible but still here.

So basically just back to the way it was a few months ago? The only result of all this was we made everyone uncomfortable for a while, spent a bit of money, and made us look like idiots at the state level, if not the national level? Neat!

So basically just back to the way it was a few months ago? The only result of all this was we made everyone uncomfortable for a while, spent a bit of money, and made us look like idiots at the state level, if not the national level? Neat!
Sounds about right. I guess the camps are in the woods again or existing ones are getting bigger

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

it feels slightly disconcerting. i mean, yeah, i'm kinda happy to see the clean up (183/Ohlen and 183/Burnet are the areas i pass most frequently)...but yeah, umm... where'd they GO? 😒 they weren't just rounded up in the middle of the night and shipped off somewhere. 

I pass by the 183 and Burnet campground to/from work. Yesterday morning I noticed a bunch of shit all packed up and neatly staged along the access road, awaiting the great migration. I was actually impressed with the methodical effort. They are probably all redistributed along Shoal Creek.

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

it feels slightly disconcerting. i mean, yeah, i'm kinda happy to see the clean up (183/Ohlen and 183/Burnet are the areas i pass most frequently)...but yeah, umm... where'd they GO? 😒 they weren't just rounded up in the middle of the night and shipped off somewhere. 

Maybe they sent them to San Marcos

I'm not sure I understand what is going on w/ Abbott's army.   They moved these people out from under 290 (and other areas) and cleaned out all their shit. 

What's changed to prevent them from just coming back to set up shop in the same place?   Isn't that still legal under Austin's ordinance?   I may be missing something. 

I'm not sure I understand what is going on w/ Abbott's army.   They moved these people out from under 290 (and other areas) and cleaned out all their shit. 
What's changed to prevent them from just coming back to set up shop in the same place?   Isn't that still legal under Austin's ordinance?   I may be missing something. 

Signs.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

Yesterday morning I noticed a bunch of shit all packed up and neatly staged along the access road, awaiting the great migration.

it looks like a good portion of that was moved back under the overpass, albeit not housed in multiple tents.

so, yeah, similar to the way it was before the free for all.

1 hour ago, Texas_Rocks said:

lol! One of the news channels interviewed one of the overpass inhabitants and the guy cheerfully declared that they liked the the cleanup because it was like having “free trash service”.

Arrest them for vagrancy & littering, then put them on a chain gang cleaning up all the crap around town.

• Like 1

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A new coalition, announced by the Austin Chamber of Commerce Thursday morning, aims to raise millions to fund a new approach to provide support and shelter for the homeless in the city.

The coalition, known as ATX Helps, wants to raise $14 million for Austin’s first Sprung shelter. Sprung homeless navigation shelters have been implemented in numerous cities in North America including San Francisco and Toronto.

Sprung shelters are affordable housing units that are delivered to a city and erected within eight weeks. According to ATX Helps, they provide security and basic life services such as bathrooms, showers, laundry, counseling and medicine. They hold about 150 bunk beds and can comfortably sleep 300 people. They also include storage for personal items.

The ATX Helps coalition is being led by Austin business leaders, faith-based organizations and the Downtown Austin Alliance.

“Homelessness in Austin has reached a critical level that’s inhumane for those experiencing it,” Brian Cassidy, chairman of the Austin Chamber of Commerce, said. “This is the answer for someone who wants to get off the street now, and this addresses the most immediate and visible gap in Austin’s current efforts.”

The $14 million goal includes funds for the construction of the shelter as well as its operational cost. ATX Helps want the shelter to be properly operated for at least two years. The coalition aims to have the first $2 million of its goal raised by the end of 2019.

21 hours ago, mchookem said:

They went to hobo heaven. Don't worry, they're in a better place now. 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A new coalition, announced by the Austin Chamber of Commerce Thursday morning, aims to raise millions to fund a new approach to provide support and shelter for the homeless in the city.

The coalition, known as ATX Helps, wants to raise $14 million for Austin’s first Sprung shelter. Sprung homeless navigation shelters have been implemented in numerous cities in North America including San Francisco and Toronto.

Sprung shelters are affordable housing units that are delivered to a city and erected within eight weeks. According to ATX Helps, they provide security and basic life services such as bathrooms, showers, laundry, counseling and medicine. They hold about 150 bunk beds and can comfortably sleep 300 people. They also include storage for personal items.

The ATX Helps coalition is being led by Austin business leaders, faith-based organizations and the Downtown Austin Alliance.

“Homelessness in Austin has reached a critical level that’s inhumane for those experiencing it,” Brian Cassidy, chairman of the Austin Chamber of Commerce, said. “This is the answer for someone who wants to get off the street now, and this addresses the most immediate and visible gap in Austin’s current efforts.”

The $14 million goal includes funds for the construction of the shelter as well as its operational cost. ATX Helps want the shelter to be properly operated for at least two years. The coalition aims to have the first $2 million of its goal raised by the end of 2019.

I will sell the city my 25 acres near COTA for $8 million, and they can set up a bunch of those shelters out of harm's way.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:06 PM, mchookem said:

Bunch of them are out here in Oak Hill near the Y.  They've got all sorts of "camps" back in the woodsy areas.  All of 'em have a dog with a bandana around its neck too, it seems.

Bunch of them are out here in Oak Hill near the Y.  They've got all sorts of "camps" back in the woodsy areas.  All of 'em have a dog with a bandana around its neck too, it seems.
That one right next to the gas station east of the Y is pretty big. It's like its own little town. They park cars there and have all kinds of stuff. I'm sure what you can see waiting at the stoplight is just the tip of the iceberg of what's back there

4 minutes ago, Updawg said:
1 hour ago, Cajun said:

That one right next to the gas station east of the Y is pretty big. It's like its own little town. They park cars there and have all kinds of stuff. I'm sure what you can see waiting at the stoplight is just the tip of the iceberg of what's back there

so i've mentioned that i worked for the census in 2010, and part of our assignment was to count the homeless. someone had the bright idea that this should occur between the hours of midnight and 6:00am. our crew boss disagreed, and had us try and start around just before sundown. we went to several places, one of which was behind that heb at the Y. there were a TON of people back in those woods. we didn't get to count them, because they turned loose their dogs on us.

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so i've mentioned that i worked for the census in 2010, and part of our assignment was to count the homeless. someone had the bright idea that this should occur between the hours of midnight and 6:00am. our crew boss disagreed, and had us try and start around just before sundown. we went to several places, one of which was behind that heb at the Y. there were a TON of people back in those woods. we didn't get to count them, because they turned loose their dogs on us.

So before you went back there, they were obeying leash laws? 

• Haha 1

i had to ride my bicycle down s congress yesterday to the toyota dealer off s i35.

had a zombie looking homeless fucker wearing a hoodie come at me with its hands in the air in the bike lane that had me thinking we were about to throw hands.  

got to the overpass at ben white and congress and the bbq pit crew were still camped out there.

Edited by Mappable

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

All of them have dogs.  And, yes, they live right behind the stinky HEB in those woods.  They are all over the place down here and they love sitting on the HEB employee picnic table during the day.  There's one guy who staggers around 71 almost every night up near Jack Allen.  I've almost hit him twice going 60 mph.  Right in the middle of the road wearing dark clothes well after sunset.  If he was on a scooter I would't care 😉, but this guy is definitely a fried pie beyond any power to make a good decision.

I have no clue how he's still alive.

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

So before you went back there, they were obeying leash laws? 

What he means is that they took the lid of the giant makeshift "Cajun" cooker and let dinner run after them a bit.

All that lactic acid buildup puts a little wang in the flavor for later.

1 hour ago, Updawg said:
2 hours ago, Cajun said:

I got my oil changed at that Quik Lube type place right where I think you're talking about.  Of course, waiting for those guys to finish I had time to shuffle around behind the place where they had what looked like an area where to employees probably go to burn a cig or a fattie in between shifts.

There's a creek back there and if you catch the angle through the trees just right you can see much more of the "iceberg".

Yes, exactly.  There's a lube shop right next to that, same side of the street.  Behind both of those businesses is a creek and some woods.  

We're thinking of the same local and there are indeed a shit-ton of them back in there.

There's also a bunch that live in the woods behind the do-it-yourself car wash bays over on 71 just past Companion Animal Hospital.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mappable said:

i had to ride my bicycle down s congress yesterday to the toyota dealer off s i35.

had a zombie looking homeless fucker wearing a hoodie come at me with its hands in the air in the bike lane that had me thinking we were about to throw hands.  

got to the overpass at ben white and congress and the bbq pit crew were still camped out there.

They have a menu board set up yet?

maybe the petty crime will slow down during the winter nights when it's too cold for the fucksticks to break into cars at night.
not go cr here, most of them have mental issues and don't know how to help themselves. Those are the ones I feel bad for. Not the dipshits that fucked themselves. They can live in a field in cold rain.

9 hours ago, Updawg said:
9 hours ago, crash_davis said:
maybe the petty crime will slow down during the winter nights when it's too cold for the fucksticks to break into cars at night.

not go cr here, most of them have mental issues and don't know how to help themselves.

That covers about 75% of us Surly assholes.

And no more shelter plans for Banister and Ben White.   Was a unbridled clusterfuck to begin with and just indicative of the maniacal lunacy in City Hall.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/central-austin/public-safety/2019/11/12/austin-no-longer-pursuing-homeless-shelter-off-ben-white-with-pivot-to-hotel-purchase/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Community_Impact_Southwest_Austin