Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

The crazy thing to me is that bystanders apparently had the guy subdued. When the policeman got there they had to wave him inside because he was sitting outside in his car reviewing the call. So he comes in, they think he’s got it under control, but then his belt comes off and in the confusion the attacker escapes, runs to Freebirds and that’s when the stabbings happen.

7 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Apparently police training needs to include how to dress yourself. 

You better dress yourself before you reck yourself, fool.  

Side Note-

Jan. 18th or 25th is what I was told by Council/Mayor's staff.  Half a Saturday to sit and listen to what these fuckers want to do about using more bond money on homeless issues.  And as usual, I'll bring up maybe spending some of it on mental health/addiction services, partnering with UT School of Social Work, and partnering with Central Health.  And as usual, they'll say we need to find more unused bond money for buying more real estate.  For just $500,000, UT can get a match grant at 3:1 and put $2mm and 50 students deployed as case workers on 200 homeless with recorded histories of violence and mental illness.  APD said they'd send officers with the case workers for security and the meetings can take place either on campus or downtown because those cops see this as a much better use of their time and being proactive kinda helps with crime.  But as usual, the Mayor won't hear of it.  He won't give the state money for something the state should be doing for Austin.  I tried explaining, yes it's technically going to the state, but it's UT School of Social Work.  

This fucking imbecile.  He is in a race to the bottom. 

Edited by Lobo

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Side Note-

Jan. 18th or 25th is what I was told by Council/Mayor's staff.  Half a Saturday to sit and listen to what these fuckers want to do about using more bond money on homeless issues.  And as usual, I'll bring up maybe spending some of it on mental health/addiction services, partnering with UT School of Social Work, and partnering with Central Health.  And as usual, they'll say we need to find more unused bond money for buying more real estate.  For just $500,000, UT can get a match grant at 3:1 and put $2mm and 50 students deployed as case workers on 200 homeless with recorded histories of violence and mental illness.  APD said they'd send officers with the case workers for security and the meetings can take place either on campus or downtown because those cops see this as a much better use of their time and being proactive kinda helps with crime.  But as usual, the Mayor won't hear of it.  He won't give the state money for something the state should be doing for Austin.  I tried explaining, yes it's technically going to the state, but it's UT School of Social Work.  

That is really disappointing.

Is Adler really an imbecile racing to the bottom, or a very devious and clever con artist? This guy is already fairly wealthy, and I’ll be shocked to hell if he’s not setting himself up for a big score in the future with these real estate purchases. These remodeled hotels/motels will inevitably be condemned for health and safety reasons before Adler is out of office. Adler then swings backdoor deals with his developer pals to redevelop the property into big money makers while the prior inhabitants are moved on to the next target.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:02 AM, Lobo said:

Side Note-

What happens on Jan 18 or 25? And I do find it baffling that they're so focused on this one housing piece of the puzzle and not everything else we could be doing. 

The Governor's approach still sucks.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:42 PM, Incredulity said:

No, they really are.  Cities and counties that aren’t on the full blown leftist pipedream are literally sending their homeless to locations that have shown the proclivity to kids glove them.  I’ve been in Orlando, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Chicago and Phoenix in the last 3 months.

Take a stab at which cities have the EXTREMELY visible homeless problems.

Take a stab at who has no concept of correlation vs.  causation.

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Draw a venn diagram of causation ,correlation, and coincidence and post, please. Would love to see your mega brain at work.

What specifically do you want to argue? 

Or do you just want to be a condescending douche?

Are you claiming there is no correlation between the political control of each city and degree of homelessness issues?

1 hour ago, skittlebrau said:

What happens on Jan 18 or 25? And I do find it baffling that they're so focused on this one housing piece of the puzzle and not everything else we could be doing. 

The Governor's approach still sucks.

Nothing of mass significance.  Just a half-day ‘retreat’ for commissioners involved and bonds and finance, Called for by counsel and their staff.   We are basically going to comb through previous bonds and upcoming ballots to find extra resources for the homelessness Challenge.  It’s just me venting about having to waste part of the weekend listening to the same stupid fucking solutions that will not get us anywhere but more in debt.  

What specifically do you want to argue? 

Or do you just want to be a condescending douche?

Are you claiming there is no correlation between the political control of each city and degree of homelessness issues?

Of course there's correlation. You're saying that liberals cause homelessness, which is implying causation. Thus the post where I called you out for not knowing the difference.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Thanks for at least trying to be a voice of reason.

It angers me your efforts go unheeded and essentially ignored.

Tells me all I need to know about Austin politics and the Mayor.

They don't actually have any desire to address the issue, they just want their kick backs for bullshit realestate deals and to make the general idiot voting public cheer about "fixing the problem".

I have been making that same point to Austinites for years, yet they still reelect the same crooks & their ilk.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Nothing of mass significance.  Just a half-day ‘retreat’ for commissioners involved and bonds and finance, Called for by counsel and their staff.   We are basically going to comb through previous bonds and upcoming ballots to find extra resources for the homelessness Challenge.  It’s just me venting about having to waste part of the weekend listening to the same stupid fucking solutions that will not get us anywhere but more in debt.  

Oof. I was on the advisory task force for 2018. Was way more work than I thought it would be. Can’t imagine what you’re going through. Thanks for agreeing to serve.

38 minutes ago, Deej said:

30 years ago, it was pretty great.

Yessir I have heard many stories from friends and it makes me sad to realize the situation now. But I suppose it’s just a symptom of what is happening nationwide. Guess that’s why I’m constantly shifting farther from city centers.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

30 years ago, it was pretty great.

30 years ago? Yeah, remember when the blacks and hispanics knew their place in town and had no representation on council?  And the monoliths of UT and state government controlled the job market and there was no real upward mobility for anyone except a handful of white male power-brokers.  Shitty food, tacit discrimination, and not much to do for families or young people.  Yeah, those were the fucking days!  

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

30 years ago? Yeah, remember when the blacks and hispanics knew their place in town and had no representation on council?  And the monoliths of UT and state government controlled the job market and there was no real upward mobility for anyone except a handful of white male power-brokers.  Shitty food, tacit discrimination, and not much to do for families or young people.  Yeah, those were the fucking days!  

Come live in my neighborhood and tell me blacks and Hispanics are represented.

Oh, and East Austin and Rainey street say, "Hi!"

Austin is whiter than it's ever been. They just pay more lip service, now.

Edited by Deej

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

The traffic sucked too.

• 2 weeks later...

APD: Woman arrested in connection with downtown serial stabbings, confessed to attacking 5 women

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Police have arrested a woman in connection with multiple stabbings in downtown Austin late Thursday night and into Friday. APD Chief Manley said the woman was transient and that she confessed to attacking five people.

In a press conference, Manley said officers were flagged down near East Sixth by a group of women around 11:24 p.m. They found one woman lying on the ground in a pool of blood. The officers observed a large cut to the back of the woman’s head.

The women told the officer they were heading downtown and were dropped off by a ride share on Seventh Street. They said as they were walking to Sixth Street they saw a woman walking in the opposite direction. When they passed they said the woman turned and struck their friend in the back of the head.

At about 12:07 a.m. in the 500 block of East Sixth Street a woman approached an officer and told him she had just been assaulted. She said she was standing on the side walk when someone walked up and hit her in the back of the head with a solid object. Officers say she had also sustained a large laceration.

The victim said she saw her assailant running from the scene and recognized her as a local homeless person who frequently hung around a business she worked in downtown.

At that same time, officers were called to the corner of East Sixth Street and Red River Street. At the scene officers found a third woman who had sustained stab wounds in her shoulder and wrist. She said the suspect approached her, told her to be quiet, then attacked her.

The Real Time Crime Center used the APD Halo cameras to search the area of the three attacks and was able to find the suspect and track her back to the ARCH where she was taken into custody. Police also found the knife believed to have been used in the attacks.

The suspect was identified as Raeshala Morris, 33. Police say she confessed to the attacks but said she attacked five women.

Chief Manley said footage was captured from the HALO cameras of one of the unconfirmed assaults. Manley said he wants any other victims who were assaulted in the area to come forward.

If anyone has information about what happened or was attacked, they are encouraged to call the APD Aggravated Assault Unit at 512-974-5245.

Morris is currently booked into the Travis County Jail.

On Friday, Governor Greg Abbott’s Office released a statement on the incidents, saying:

“City of Austin leaders have allowed lawlessness throughout the capital city that is resulting in violence against Austin residents, including those who are homeless. Last night’s tragedy that left three injured is just the most recent instance of this violence. This rise in violence has corresponded with the revocation of the camping ban that the Austin City Council passed in June. Public endangerment and murder can no longer be tolerated because of the actions—and inactions—by city officials. Mayor Adler and the City Council should reinstate the camping ban and restore the rule of law in Austin. The city’s gamble on these reckless policies has been a loser and must end now.”

• Like 1