Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

1 minute ago, TexasBeta said:

Beyond what seems like permanent camps under 183 at Duval and Braker there is an increasing amount of graffiti. The new one at 183 and the on ramp to mopac - heading east on 183 - makes me rage. That and the trash everywhere on the sides of the road. What the H is happening to Austin.

Yep, things are really starting to go downhill fast!

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

Beyond what seems like permanent camps under 183 at Duval and Braker there is an increasing amount of graffiti. The new one at 183 and the on ramp to mopac - heading east on 183 - makes me rage. That and the trash everywhere on the sides of the road. What the H is happening to Austin.

Leslie Pool not having it. Property values will go up. Obviously this is just pent up demand. FUPM

There have been homeless pawns in Austin forever.  Hell I moved here in 1980 and homer the goose and shit.  The homeless have moved to the suburbs because of inner city growth.   Now it’s in your backyard.  There aren’t any more than there were before per capita, haha.   They are just in your neighborhood now.   

• Hook 'Em 1

^

Good point.  The mayor has a wildly different impression of what "Vision Zero" means for no deaths to non-vehicular passengers.  If I was requesting another round of $40mm to feed my "Vision Zero" program in Austin to eliminate deaths of all kinds when it comes to vehicular traffic and people on the grass or sidewalks or crosswalks...I would think one of the cheapest and most effective solutions to that challenge would be taking KOA campsites out of the middle of highways and/or the underpasses of high-speed/high-volume access road traffic.  Just me, just a wild idea.  You can build in all the smart technology at crosswalks you want, and more impeding barricades across highway medians and such.  But I would think "Vision Zero for no Ped Deaths 101" would probably be something like, "Hey, that summer camp in the fucking middle of 290 @ 2222)...where people are literally passed out 4 feet from the fucking R.O.W.........maybe getting them a few feet back could be a good idea for not getting fucking run over; just an idea."  

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Policing it was always a low priority. My point is that a lot of the behaviors that people are complaining about are illegal and that wouldn’t change if the city reverted to previous law. 

Yes, because police enforcement priorities are completely independent of the attitudes of the city leadership.  

Edited by bschoolprof
cloaky
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes, because police enforcement priorities are completely independent of the attitudes of the city leadership.  

I mean, that's obviously true. Did you see how the police treated the BLM protestors? Not exactly in line with what Adler and company has espoused, was it?

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Policing it was always a low priority. My point is that a lot of the behaviors that people are complaining about are illegal and that wouldn’t change if the city reverted to previous law. 

We can't go back to the way it was because cops clearly wouldn't enforce it, and we obviously can't find solutions to cope with the current shit storm... So let's continue spending 10s of millions inviting them here and see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

I mean, that's obviously true. Did you see how the police treated the BLM protestors? Not exactly in line with what Adler and company has espoused, was it?

Police acted that way when they didn’t have a strong directive from Adler & co. the very next weekend the entire attitude between police/protesters shifted, no more rubber bullets, bean bags, riot control tactics, let them gather/march where they want without permits.  So, Yes they absolutely fall in line when told to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

In this climate? It’s absolutely true. And for what it’s worth I’m not even sure how much control Manley or the deputy chiefs have right now. It’s a bad situation. 

51 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

And look at the fallout from that. If we repeated that experience again and again and again, do you think police behavior would change?  For the answer, see how the police have enforced homeless policy in this city for the last 30 years. 

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

There's a homeless dude who set up camp on the 183 SB access road next to the Braker overpass who has a lawn mower next to his tent. The grass around his tent is mowed. If that's not peak Austin homeless, I don't know what is.

At least he's a considerate neighbor. Unless he yells at kids to get off his lawn.  

On 9/10/2020 at 4:59 PM, Mappable said:

Shoal Creek homeowners say city still hasn't cleared encampments near homes

Last week, people living near Shoal Creek told CBS Austin their concerns about homeless encampments on the greenbelt bordering their homes.

Neighbors say the encampments, located in the area of W. 29th Street and N. Lamar Boulevard, have gotten larger and increasingly dangerous in the past several months.

Homeowners Holly Lanham and Misty Reid say people in the encampments frequently yell profanities, pile trash near the river and start fires in the heavily wooded area near their homes.

When our story aired, Council Member Alison Alter posted a statement saying the camps would be cleared at the end of the week.

However, neighbors say that still hasn't happened -- one week later. "We haven't seen cleanup crews at all. The camps are still there," says Holly Lanham.

"This is not the first time they've made a promise and nothing happens," says Misty Reid.

CBS Austin reached out to the Parks and Recreation Department, a spokesperson said they're currently working to resolve the issues with the encampments and sent this statement:

Encampments along Shoal Creek have received attention over the course of 2020 up to and including removal and clean up. Recent issues specific to Shoal Creek were addressed in the last two months and included multiple visits and support from the Austin Police Department.

Neighbors say the situation has gotten worse ever since city council voted to allow camping in public places last year. However, the new ordinance did not allow camping in public parks. "Why is there no action being taken? I don't know who's responsible for enforcing the no camping in the park," says Misty Reid.

CBS Austin spoke with Council Member Alison Alter Wednesday, she and Kathie Tovo were the only two on council to vote against the camping ordinance last year. "I will get back with PARD (Parks and Rec. Dept) and make sure they keep moving to help the situation," says Alter.

Alter says Parks and Rec., Watershed Protection and Austin Police are responsible for enforcing the no camping rule in parks. However, since the beginning of the pandemic the CDC recommended not displacing people in encampments -- so no citations have been issued in months.

Alter says there are also issues with available resources for people who are displaced. "Where we're struggling is resources for single adults," says Alter.

Alter says her staff is working to triage people in need of permanent housing and developing places for people to go once they're out of temporary shelters and transitioning to permanent housing.

Homeowner Misty Reid tells CBS Austin she's tired of the city passing the buck on the issue and wants something done for the safety of her neighbors and people in the camps who are currently also living on a dangerous floodplain.

Council Member Alter says she will continue to work with people in the area to protect homeowners and find a permanent solution to the issue.

When asked if city council made a mistake repealing the camping ban, Council Member Alison Alter said, "Yes, I'm very frustrated with the situation we're in, I don't think we had a plan which is why I voted against it-- and we're still struggling to do that but now we're building the plane as we're flying instead of having it built before we launched in that direction."

Misty Reid has a serious case of the hotness.

51 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Really? Is that true?

I'm not close to it, but I know a few people around town on all sides of this and that's my opinion.
I think you've got a pissed off labor force that feels disconnected and unappreciated by their executives and their board despite being well compensated for their field. Some gaping gaps of understanding and perception notwithstanding, I think by and large they empathize with their customers frustrations with the product but see their interests pitted against those they serve. All stakeholders are dug into their positions and are unable to find common ground despite making an honest effort to do so. Outside actors and competitors are doing all they can to heighten the tension.

You see this in other industries all the time, and it seems pretty classic to me. Every business fundamentally operates on implicit trust and good faith between all parties. When that breaks down it's very difficult to fix. We just try not to see it here, because in this business the labor force is armed and acts with impunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Misty Reid has a serious case of the hotness.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:59 PM, Mappable said:

Shoal Creek homeowners say city still hasn't cleared encampments near homes

Last week, people living near Shoal Creek told CBS Austin their concerns about homeless encampments on the greenbelt bordering their homes.

Neighbors say the encampments, located in the area of W. 29th Street and N. Lamar Boulevard, have gotten larger and increasingly dangerous in the past several months.

Homeowners Holly Lanham and Misty Reid say people in the encampments frequently yell profanities, pile trash near the river and start fires in the heavily wooded area near their homes.

When our story aired, Council Member Alison Alter posted a statement saying the camps would be cleared at the end of the week.

However, neighbors say that still hasn't happened -- one week later. "We haven't seen cleanup crews at all. The camps are still there," says Holly Lanham.

"This is not the first time they've made a promise and nothing happens," says Misty Reid.

CBS Austin reached out to the Parks and Recreation Department, a spokesperson said they're currently working to resolve the issues with the encampments and sent this statement:

Encampments along Shoal Creek have received attention over the course of 2020 up to and including removal and clean up. Recent issues specific to Shoal Creek were addressed in the last two months and included multiple visits and support from the Austin Police Department.

Neighbors say the situation has gotten worse ever since city council voted to allow camping in public places last year. However, the new ordinance did not allow camping in public parks. "Why is there no action being taken? I don't know who's responsible for enforcing the no camping in the park," says Misty Reid.

CBS Austin spoke with Council Member Alison Alter Wednesday, she and Kathie Tovo were the only two on council to vote against the camping ordinance last year. "I will get back with PARD (Parks and Rec. Dept) and make sure they keep moving to help the situation," says Alter.

Alter says Parks and Rec., Watershed Protection and Austin Police are responsible for enforcing the no camping rule in parks. However, since the beginning of the pandemic the CDC recommended not displacing people in encampments -- so no citations have been issued in months.

Alter says there are also issues with available resources for people who are displaced. "Where we're struggling is resources for single adults," says Alter.

Alter says her staff is working to triage people in need of permanent housing and developing places for people to go once they're out of temporary shelters and transitioning to permanent housing.

Homeowner Misty Reid tells CBS Austin she's tired of the city passing the buck on the issue and wants something done for the safety of her neighbors and people in the camps who are currently also living on a dangerous floodplain.

Council Member Alter says she will continue to work with people in the area to protect homeowners and find a permanent solution to the issue.

When asked if city council made a mistake repealing the camping ban, Council Member Alison Alter said, "Yes, I'm very frustrated with the situation we're in, I don't think we had a plan which is why I voted against it-- and we're still struggling to do that but now we're building the plane as we're flying instead of having it built before we launched in that direction."

There's a Confederate flag in one of the camps and the city still hasn't moved to clean the shit up.    

Something's going on. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

There's a homeless dude who set up camp on the 183 SB access road next to the Braker overpass who has a lawn mower next to his tent. The grass around his tent is mowed. If that's not peak Austin homeless, I don't know what is.

Just wait for it:. Homeless tearing down old tents and building 3 story tent condos.  With a moonshine/pruno bar on the bottom level. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Except when he starts mowing the impErvious cover at 5am on Sunday’s. Meth is a helluva Drug. 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

There's a Confederate flag in one of the camps and the city still hasn't moved to clean the shit up.    

Something's going on.

Civil War re-enactors.

The homeless are being smart - if they moved a few blocks north up Shoal Creek, you'd see a real shit-storm, since they'd be close to Bryker Woods elementary.  You just think people are pissed now, and I've seen the Facebook and Nextdoor posts, but have them setup a big-ass encampment in that area behind the school (there's a large open field just south along the creek), and you'll have 95% of the neighborhood turn into Karens.

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Also there's a tent under the Braker overpass where it looks like the dude is running a chop shop for bicycles. I saw 3 bike frames and a shit load of parts strew about. 

Gotta make that money for the meth.

This shit was on my next door, under 183 & Spicewood/McNeil they have a tarp wall surrounded by tents where neighbors have reportedly seen bikes being chopped and a truck swinging by to pick them up.  I’ll see if I can grab screenshots.

Edit: not sure I believe it’s a bike theft ring or anything but that wall really shouldn’t be there.

Edited by TKthunder2

Adler and Kitchen are gonna dub this a "small business enterprise that needs our city's support" by the end of the week.  They'll have a $500k grant by the end of the month.  

5 minutes ago, BearMace said:

So is their working theory that the homeless are stealing bikes, breaking them down, shuffling the parts around to decrease the value, and then somebody is coming by to pick up the newly less valuable bikes in bulk? They got a spray booth under there too?

nothing new

https://abc7news.com/chop-shop-bicycle-theft-san-jose-downtown/5698704/

So is their working theory that the homeless are stealing bikes, breaking them down, shuffling the parts around to decrease the value, and then somebody is coming by to pick up the newly less valuable bikes in bulk? They got a spray booth under there too?

You’re not necessarily decreasing the value. It’s about making it less traceable. Say you had a white Trek with Shimano components and a black Specialized with Sram that are stolen. Switch the components and now neither fits a police report on a stolen bike. Sell the “new” bike on Craigslist.

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You’re not necessarily decreasing the value. It’s about making it less traceable. Say you had a white Trek with Shimano components and a black Specialized with Sram that are stolen. Switch the components and now neither fits a police report on a stolen bike. Sell the “new” bike on Craigslist.

Careful, you're gonna out yourself as cyclist around here. Not arguing with what your saying, I just don't see most bikes that are stolen being high end to where the owners even had any idea what groupset the bike originally had. Those bikes shouldn't be being left on balconies or chained up out sight unless you just really want them to go missing. A more reasonable cover would be to grind off any serial numbers and repaint which is what I was joking about. Or, the possibility exists that they're actually taking pretty useless bikes that I'm sure you can find anywhere and Frankensteining them into functional bikes. That seems just as reasonable to me as shuffling parts around on Walmart and Costco POS bikes.    

56 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this is in district 6, right?

lump needs to put on her catgirl cosplay outfit and go down there and kick some ass.

I just moved here from Cedar Park but from looking at the map I’m in 10, this intersection is in 6 and my NextDoor is a mix of 10, 6, 7 basically 620/2222/360/183 bleeding over towards North Mopac some.

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Adler and Kitchen are gonna dub this a "small business enterprise that needs our city's support" by the end of the week.  They'll have a $500k grant by the end of the month.  

Maybe the city”artists” will be assigned to paint these bum camps to add to the historic art portfolio, so future Austinites can oooh & aaaah about the good ol’ days.

9 hours ago, BearMace said:

Careful, you're gonna out yourself as cyclist around here. Not arguing with what your saying, I just don't see most bikes that are stolen being high end to where the owners even had any idea what groupset the bike originally had. Those bikes shouldn't be being left on balconies or chained up out sight unless you just really want them to go missing. A more reasonable cover would be to grind off any serial numbers and repaint which is what I was joking about. Or, the possibility exists that they're actually taking pretty useless bikes that I'm sure you can find anywhere and Frankensteining them into functional bikes. That seems just as reasonable to me as shuffling parts around on Walmart and Costco POS bikes.    

they are stealing bikes.  how many, who knows.  I don't really care but that is what they are doing.