Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Did he give that warning from Cabo?

Asking for a friend.

BB1bA4Ns.img?h=281&w=300&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

"Look, I'm learning about homelessness down here. Look at the picture - do you see any homes behind my daughter? No! Research is <hic> importante!"

Edited by phdhorn
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. But my kid told me there's some polling data that says voters are 70% in favor of Prop B. Hopefully that's true, & they'll vote.

im not sure I believe this because we had similar polling data for prop A.  no one thought that idiocy would pass either.

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Fucking-A fitlump’s team (assuming she didn’t come up with this) came up with a better solution, instead of buying hotels at massive markups just take that money and fund community first housing projects, that would be far better than anything this city has come up with this far.

and maybe take money from other "pet" bullshit projects that don't help people at all.  we already jumped the shark with prop A stupidity.  that tax increase spent on something that will absolutely end up costing 3x as much and gives money to already well off people to "buy" apartments is insanity.  here's a thought, quit fucking around with bike lanes, walking bridges, art projects, rezoning "studies", racial disparity studies, "reimagine safety" studies, mass transit studies to build chunnels and shit and use that money to help people in need. oh and fix the fucking city of austin antiquated electrical/power infrastructure.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

im not sure I believe this because we had similar polling data for prop A.  no one thought that idiocy would pass either.

I have little confidence it will pass. I hope I'm wrong, but never underestimate this city's incredible ability to rally the troops at the last minute. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

and maybe take money from other "pet" bullshit projects that don't help people at all.  we already jumped the shark with prop A stupidity.  that tax increase spent on something that will absolutely end up costing 3x as much and gives money to already well off people to "buy" apartments is insanity.  here's a thought, quit fucking around with bike lanes, walking bridges, art projects, rezoning "studies", racial disparity studies, "reimagine safety" studies, mass transit studies to build chunnels and shit and use that money to help people in need. oh and fix the fucking city of austin antiquated electrical/power infrastructure.

You must be taking crazy pills if you think any of that will ever happen.  Also regarding fitlumps group, watch them closely.  That’s about grift, not necessarily doing the right thing.  The PAC has raised almost $400k so far this year, and 3/4 of that has been spent on a consulting firm from Ohio.  Pretty sure a lot has ended up right back in Matt Ms and MKs pockets.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

56 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You must be taking crazy pills if you think any of that will ever happen.  Also regarding fitlumps group, watch them closely.  That’s about grift, not necessarily doing the right thing.  The PAC has raised almost $400k so far this year, and 3/4 of that has been spent on a consulting firm from Ohio.  Pretty sure a lot has ended up right back in Matt Ms and MKs pockets.  

sure but mice nuts compared to adler and the rest of the lifetime grifters on the council.

Edit: illegal shit should be prosecuted but I'm more concerned how they spend the money I send the city that their family and buddies make money on.  they are all crooks. the Flannigan thing is just one more bullshit example.

Edited by dcar00

On 4/2/2021 at 3:47 PM, MissingInAction said:

Canvassers came by my place advocating for this homeless free pass bullshit. I took these stupid cunts on a tour of all the crime and damage caused by this horseshit just in my own hood.

Found out neither one of them even live in the city. Douche fucks from San francisco.

Vote for prop B!

Holy crap!  They weren't even from Texas?  Much less Austin?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Guess those that live in cedar park, Leander, etc can’t vote which is a shame because a lot of support would come from those areas. 

Austin has to help itself here.  They voted this in.  If they don't like it, they need to vote it out.  

1 hour ago, Nonbryan said:

Austin has to help itself here.  They voted this in.  If they don't like it, they need to vote it out.  

I don’t think the citizens voted to change the camping ordinance. Like the Uber and Lyft ban, it was done by our city leaders, who continue to run almost unopposed, so I guess you are correct.

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

Hyperbole for effect since there's been a number of these fires as of late.  And Adler's warning to us that forcing them back to encampments in the woods would lead to fires is just comical to me.  That they "accidentally" set fire to the Buford Tower is just sublimely insulting at this point.  

But yes, to your point---they do abuse the 911/first responder system on a daily basis.  A disastrous allocation of scare city resources that is borderline criminal, IMO.  

I have mentioned before that homeless 911 calls dominated at least 50% my firefighterEMT nephew’s incident call time when he was stationed near Ben White. He also claimed that some of the frequent shootings & stabbings that went on in the bum camps went unreported in the media.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

There's no way that's real right? Please tell me this is just an isolated one day incident or it's not even Austin.....my god.

dude, what are you talking about? that guy's place is tidied up.  

On 4/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, Red Five said:

My daughter and I were stopped at a light downtown a few nights ago, and a homeless gentleman started banging on her window, and held up a sign that said "I want ho's", along with a picture of his dong. That was nice. The next day a homeless dude followed her into HEB and she had to get an employee to help. As she was telling me this story, a friend of her's texted her saying "I just left a restaurant downtown and was chased by a homeless guy screaming at me". 

I’ll say this, your right to “experience homelessness” ought to end the moment you start actively messing up my day.  It’s one thing to passively create a nuisance with tents, urban campfires, garbage, etc.  Its another thing to frighten people, curse at them, chase them, aggressively panhandle. Should be zero tolerance for that shit, banging on windows, refusing to go away, yelling at people in the sidewalk.

If you’re so crazy or smacked up that you can’t get through 24 hours without accosting another person your choice should be to get help— at government expense for as long as it takes— or get your ass dumped out of a police cruiser at the county line. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

There's no way that's real right? Please tell me this is just an isolated one day incident or it's not even Austin.....my god.

Dude, that's one of the less disgusting scenes you'll find.

Here's the ballot text (vote YES)

Proposition B: Shall an ordinance be adopted that would create a criminal offense
and a penalty for anyone sitting or lying down on a public sidewalk or sleeping
outdoors in and near the Downtown area and the area around the University ofTexas
campus; create a criminal offense and penalty for solicitation, defined as requesting
money or another thing ofvalue, at specific hours and locations or for solicitation in
a public area that is deemed aggressive in manner; create a criminal offense and
penalty for anyone camping in any public area not designated by the Parks and
Recreation Department?

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ll say this, your right to “experience homelessness” ought to end the moment you start actively messing up my day.  It’s one thing to passively create a nuisance with tents, urban campfires, garbage, etc.  Its another thing to frighten people, curse at them, chase them, aggressively panhandle. Should be zero tolerance for that shit, banging on windows, refusing to go away, yelling at people in the sidewalk.

If you’re so crazy or smacked up that you can’t get through 24 hours without accosting another person your choice should be to get help— at government expense for as long as it takes— or get your ass dumped out of a police cruiser at the county line. 

Ya! But don’t you get it? Unless and until we all give up 3/4 of our salary to a government the world won’t ever be right! Just empty out your bank accounts and pockets hard working people! you are not allowed to keep it! You gotta pass it on to people! Cuz voted y’all! 

Poverty is the ONLY reason for crimes! If only they had libraries and smart phones and internet? 

Anyone of y’all making $45000 and above need to give it up! All those evil  corporations would die! Government would be God! Save the fucking planet man! 

• Hook 'Em 7

Here's the ballot text (vote YES)
Proposition B: Shall an ordinance be adopted that would create a criminal offense
and a penalty for anyone sitting or lying down on a public sidewalk or sleeping
outdoors in and near the Downtown area and the area around the University ofTexas
campus; create a criminal offense and penalty for solicitation, defined as requesting
money or another thing ofvalue, at specific hours and locations or for solicitation in
a public area that is deemed aggressive in manner; create a criminal offense and
penalty for anyone camping in any public area not designated by the Parks and
Recreation Department?

That’s actually worded clearly for once. Surprising.

Prepare for another homeless plan circus of idiocy:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/homeless/new-strategy-to-combat-austins-homelessness-expected-to-be-unveiled-next-week-mayor-adler-says/287-90f2e044-9bd4-41b7-9fa3-02eb7cfae5d6

DALLAS — The City of Austin is expected to unveil a new comprehensive strategy next week to combat homelessness after non-profit organizations, business leaders, service providers, and social advocates met in a so-called "homeless summit."

“I think they’re going to propose a system-wide plan that not only has us investing what’s necessary for permanent supportive housing long-term, but also doing what’s necessary to get people housing and off the streets and out of tents that people are seeing right now,” said Mayor Steve Adler on Sunday’s Inside Texas Politics.  

Austin’s unsheltered homeless population has grown in recent years.

The summit was composed of six working groups: prevention/diversion, crisis beds, permanent supportive housing, rapid re-housing, street management and encampment response. 

Summit recommendations are expected mid-month, perhaps as soon as April 12.

There are also expected to be varying levels of implementation to the new strategy including a 30, 60 and 90-day plan along with goals after one and two years.

But the issue could get even more complicated after May 1. That’s when Austin residents will vote on , which would reinstate a homeless camping ban.  

If passed, Proposition B would make it illegal to camp in certain public places, sit or lie on public sidewalks and some outdoor areas and panhandle at night.

But it is uncertain how Proposition B, if passed, would conflict with implementation of the summit’s recommendations.

“I think our action remains the same regardless of the vote. I will tell you that if the proposition passes, I think it’s going to be more difficult for us to be able to get the job done. But regardless, we have a job to do in the community and we’re going to do it,” the mayor told the television program.

Separately, Mayor Adler said the city’s recent legal win over its mask mandate will help Austin return to normal faster.

A court decided last week that Austin and Travis County’s mask mandate is legal, even though the governor dropped the statewide order.

Adler said Austin will hopefully be back to normal by the end of May after anyone who wants a vaccine there has a chance to get it. 

"Austin is fortunate to have a mortality rate that’s less than half of what it is in the state’s average, the federal average. And it’s because we have that discipline. We just need to maintain it.” 

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Dude, that's one of the less disgusting scenes you'll find.

Yep ... and didn't they say early on that camping in parks was one of the things they were absolutely not going to allow?

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think he was mostly talking about the housing shortage tho, and he is absolutely right.

hmmmyeahno.

how about the city stipulate that if ol' Elon wants to move here, he gets to house and feed...2k homeless on his factory campus.  any overage picked up around town he can put on busses to SF or Seattle where they think the homeless are wonderful.  Apple, too, and any other corporate giants who want to come here and further destroy everything that made Austin a great place to live, a while back.  fuck Corporate Welfare.  real hard.

also, Prop B fine print reads to me like it's still ok to camp, pan-handle, harass, process stolen bikes, etc. under 183 at Oak Knoll, Braker, Lamar, and down around Ben White.  It doesn't say 'within the city limit'.  it specifically says Downtown and UT.   looks like it only protects the same expensively-greasy-haired, bespectacled, bad-at-math motherfuckers that created this city-wide mess in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, wd40 said:

hmmmyeahno.

how about the city stipulate that if ol' Elon wants to move here, he gets to house and feed...2k homeless on his factory campus.  any overage picked up around town he can put on busses to SF or Seattle where they think the homeless are wonderful.  Apple, too, and any other corporate giants who want to come here and further destroy everything that made Austin a great place to live, a while back.  fuck Corporate Welfare.  real hard.

also, Prop B fine print reads to me like it's still ok to camp, pan-handle, harass, process stolen bikes, etc. under 183 at Oak Knoll, Braker, Lamar, and down around Ben White.  It doesn't say 'within the city limit'.  it specifically says Downtown and UT.   looks like it only protects the same expensively-greasy-haired, bespectacled, bad-at-math motherfuckers that created this city-wide mess in the first place.

No, I mean, I’m pretty sure he was talking about the fact that we have a housing shortage in Austin, and the shortest inventory on record, not homelessness. 

As a result, houses in-town are averaging 30-50 offers and selling for an average of nearly $50k over asking price. 

Austin has doubled in size every 15-20 years for the last century and a half. What’s happening now is on trend. Our land use regs, which were created in 1984, effectively prohibit meeting the scale of demand. So, we now have a housing shortage. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1