Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

On 5/1/2021 at 9:43 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Nobody who only talks to people in their bubble do.

As a conservative it’s almost impossible to stay completely inside that kind of bubble unless you try really really hard to do so. As an 18 year old kid, living in a blue city?  Piece of cake and probably most natural outcome without even trying. 

25 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Aggies qualify as one of the few (maybe add in institutions like liberty) college educated groups that have a conservative echo chamber. 
it’s not like the people on the daily Texan thread aren’t aware of counter arguments as they are made all throughout that thread. 
The idea I was responding to was someone not knowing or interacting with an opposing POV. I don’t think that could be said of anyone on this message board. (About any issue or POV truly) 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Aggies qualify as one of the few (maybe add in institutions like liberty) college educated groups that have a conservative echo chamber. 
it’s not like the people on the daily Texan thread aren’t aware of counter arguments as they are made all throughout that thread. 
The idea I was responding to was someone not knowing or interacting with an opposing POV. I don’t think that could be said of anyone on this message board. (About any issue or POV truly) 

Even A&M is not an echo chamber.  Guarantee you 90% of their professors are liberals.  Not to mention most of the media and all of entertainment.

My kids' Christian private school probably has 75% conservative parents, a conservative board, and a relatively conservative leadership team.  Yet critical race theory/1619/diversity,equity, inclusion project is creeping right on in to "lessons" even though the vast, vast majority of the parents do not want their kids taught that stuff. Most school teachers, even in that environment, are Democrats.

Not sure if it was this thread but the state lege homeless law that passed had some Republican stating that they would be allowed time to move their belongings. 

Gonna be like a bunch of 16 year olds when you ask them to clean their room. "Yeah Mom I'm working on it, be done soon "

Idiocy.

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The experienced ones who want to live that life are probably reclaiming their old domiciles in...river/streambeds.

Seems like a good idea in flash flood country. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The experienced ones who want to live that life are probably reclaiming their old domiciles in wooded areas and river/streambeds.  Out of sight/Out of mind.

Yes there will always be homeless.

That doesn’t mean what has been going on is acceptable.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The experienced ones who want to live that life are probably reclaiming their old domiciles in wooded areas and river/streambeds.  Out of sight/Out of mind.

Not for the Blind Salamander.

37 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Private owners of properties in the drainage/flood basins who allow it should be cited just like developers that pollute their construction sites.

32 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Not for the Blind Salamander.

I lived around the corner from the Blind Salamander in San Marcos.  It went on to become the River Pub. /csb

Edited by Hate
  • Haha 1

What about this.  If this doesn't unify us nothing will.  I'm for building something for our fellow human beings but....wait for it...in College Station.  I've got a few hundo for a tract somewhere down Texas Ave.  I'll even splurge to help with the moving trucks and temporary tent city.  I'll throw in a few more bucks for some port o's for a week.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

The tent fort they’ve erected around city hall the last two days definitely brings the lulz.  

this city won't do shit and they know it.  Abbott is going to have to step in.

Q&A with Adler courtesy of KVUE. He triggers the hell out of me. Wish his term were up this year. 

Larned: City council is considering new camp spaces to temporarily relocate the homeless. Which areas for these camps have you considered?

Adler: We're trying to give the manager as many tools as we can. The concept of a sanctioned camping area. It's really hasn't worked in other cities, which is why it was something that our staff rejected two years ago. But the council had a resolution last week, asked the manager to reconsider that and take another look at that under the change conditions that we have right now and to see whether or not that makes more sense now. We've asked him to come forward with what that kind of plan would look like if it were implemented.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/homeless/austin-homeless-camps-clean-up-mayor-steve-adler/269-917c5382-f785-48e8-87b4-e50ffc86d2e2

If you want to read more of Adler Asshat’s answers click on the link. 😡 

On 5/7/2021 at 8:07 AM, StruggleBus said:

I’m gonna vote against it so I can feel good about it. But I really hope all of my friends vote for it.

Typical Austin dipshit.

GiantGapingPussy.jpg

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Adler: We're trying to give the manager as many tools as we can. The concept of a sanctioned camping area. It's really hasn't worked in other cities, which is why it was something that our staff rejected two years ago. But the council had a resolution last week, asked the manager to reconsider that and take another look at that under the change conditions that we have right now and to see whether or not that makes more sense now. We've asked him to come forward with what that kind of plan would look like if it were implemented.

Actually brain dead

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:32 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

the move away from the new deal and the great society really got going ...  they pivoted to waging war on their citizens by disassembling the entire social safety net

well, I thought it was a lovely story. and you tell it so well. with such enthusiasm

8 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Q&A with Adler courtesy of KVUE. He triggers the hell out of me. Wish his term were up this year. 

Larned: City council is considering new camp spaces to temporarily relocate the homeless. Which areas for these camps have you considered?

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/homeless/austin-homeless-camps-clean-up-mayor-steve-adler/269-917c5382-f785-48e8-87b4-e50ffc86d2e2

If you want to read more of Adler Asshat’s answers click on the link. 😡 

"change conditions" - stop trying to make "change conditions" a thing Steve...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:32 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

10 rant on

20 title REMOVE THE CHOICE

+++

the move away from the new deal and the great society really got going when the soviet union collapsed and the right needed an opponent, so they pivoted to waging war on their citizens by disassembling the entire social safety net beyond individual entitlements, while simultaneously accelerating the widening wealth disparity that now sees 1% own everything,.  end result: bottom dwellers are flushed out of the system.

the homeless are the bottom dwellers.  this is a structural, macroeconomic program of american society that will never be solved unless the 1% choose to solve it, and the only thing for the rest of us to do is kick the can down the road.  per cajun et.al. any enablement whatsoever for both the innocent and the scumbags only extends the eventual day of reckoning for the 1%.  this problem does not exist in the rest of the western world because there is a social safety net.  the 1% are going to have to decide to have their media reprogram the drones and sheeple to believe that compassion is not communist, and then choose to divert 1 tenth of 1 percent of their hoard to the good of humanity.  that's enough money to put EVERYONE that needs it in to 4 walls with 3 square meals, hot water, a shower and access to basic hygiene (clean clothes) per the dude in the vice video.  the biggest truth in the video spoken by said dude was "they will only go where they have access to what they want and therefore will only go where they want to go.   That is the biggest problem with the grifterticians who can't solve it, but are happy to exploit it.  The use of the word "experiencing" implies no choice.  The consensus in this thread is that somewhere between 40% & 60% are CHOOSING to shit on sidewalks.  Wheels on down to Adler can fund the basics in the middle of nowhere, and REMOVE THE CHOICE, even if they can't cure the disease.  Camp Mabry.

adler can go fuck himself.  "not a mistake when you're trying to be disruptive".  he needs to be forcibly interned in a camp for a week and tasked with cleaning human shit from sidewalks.

+++

30 /rant off

While I agree with much of what you're saying here, I always find it interesting when the myth of this issue not existing in other western countries gets tossed about like it's a fact.  It's not a fact. Not even a little bit.  And it undercuts any argument being made alongside it.  I've got a self avowed Marxist buddy I chat with every Saturday who spews this every week in his rant about how the homelessness problem in Austin is the natural result of capitalism.  I'll briefly  touch on that nonsense later.

Here's a partial list of "western" countries with a higher rate of homelessness than the United States:  United Kingdom, New Zealand, Germany, Ukraine, Australia, CANADA, SWEDEN, Netherlands, France, Czech Republic, Ireland, Greece, Austria.  Of note, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Spain, and Italy are not far behind us.

And for good measure, you know which nation also has a higher rate of homelessness than the U.S.?  China.  Fucking China.  And that's the stats they're willing to share, which are undoubtedly complete bullshit. No check in the pro column for the communists.  It should be noted that Cuba claims to have no homelessness.  I don't believe it but they claim it.  So I guess they win this one.

Social safety nets are clearly not the solution to the homelessness issue (unless you're a small Latin island with low population and badass music), even if they have a great deal of value otherwise.  The large number of homelessness in nations with the most supportive social safety nets adds a bit of weight to the argument that enabling only makes it worse.  The U.S. can do much better on this issue, to be sure, but looking to nations like Canada or Sweden for answers to this issue is no better than Adler looking to LA or Seattle.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

So, from what I read today, the tents in front of City Hall aren't all homeless people, but also people with homes protesting the election results. Lulz. 

The tents in front of city hall are idiots who don’t like the fact that 58 percent of people disagree with them and they are therefore a bunch of sore losers who lost.

Seems fairly common nowadays actually.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, JimmyJames said:

The tents in front of city hall are idiots who don’t like the fact that 58 percent of people disagree with them and they are therefore a bunch of sore losers who lost.

GIF by Election 2016

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

While I agree with much of what you're saying here, I always find it interesting when the myth of this issue not existing in other western countries gets tossed about like it's a fact.  It's not a fact. Not even a little bit.  And it undercuts any argument being made alongside it.  I've got a self avowed Marxist buddy I chat with every Saturday who spews this every week in his rant about how the homelessness problem in Austin is the natural result of capitalism.  I'll briefly  touch on that nonsense later.

Here's a partial list of "western" countries with a higher rate of homelessness than the United States:  United Kingdom, New Zealand, Germany, Ukraine, Australia, CANADA, SWEDEN, Netherlands, France, Czech Republic, Ireland, Greece, Austria.  Of note, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Spain, and Italy are not far behind us.

And for good measure, you know which nation also has a higher rate of homelessness than the U.S.?  China.  Fucking China.  And that's the stats they're willing to share, which are undoubtedly complete bullshit. No check in the pro column for the communists.  It should be noted that Cuba claims to have no homelessness.  I don't believe it but they claim it.  So I guess they win this one.

Social safety nets are clearly not the solution to the homelessness issue (unless you're a small Latin island with low population and badass music), even if they have a great deal of value otherwise.  The large number of homelessness in nations with the most supportive social safety nets adds a bit of weight to the argument that enabling only makes it worse.  The U.S. can do much better on this issue, to be sure, but looking to nations like Canada or Sweden for answers to this issue is no better than Adler looking to LA or Seattle.

no one gives a fuck about what China does...UN out front shoulda told ya.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

Even if your unsourced or uncited stats are correct, which I doubt, none of those countries are nearly as rich as America is. Homelessness and inequality are getting far worse in the richest county in the history of the world and in my personal opinion, that is obscene and a failed society. It’s been getting worse for 40 years.

So you say social safety nets have failed and are not the solution. So what is your solution? 

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Even if your unsourced or uncited stats are correct, which I doubt, none of those countries are nearly as rich as America is. Homelessness and inequality are getting far worse in the richest county in the history of the world and in my personal opinion, that is obscene and a failed society. It’s been getting worse for 40 years.

So you say social safety nets have failed and are not the solution. So what is your solution? 

GDP per Capita has the U.S. 10th on this list, so there are 9 more obscene and failed societies out there including Switzerland, Ireland, Norway and Iceland.  Those assholes!

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?most_recent_value_desc=true

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ABSR said:

GDP per Capita has the U.S. 10th on this list, so there are 9 more obscene and failed societies out there including Switzerland, Ireland, Norway and Iceland.  Those assholes!

Are you seriously arguing that those countries are richer and wealthier than America and have worse homeless problems? Stop posting like an idiot. 

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/all-of-the-worlds-wealth-in-one-visualization/

Rank

Country Region Total Wealth ($B, 2019) % Global Share
#1 United States North America $105,990 29.4%
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just to be clear, so since we’re #1 in wealth we can’t look at what has or hasn’t worked in any other country because they have less wealth?  I have no idea if his facts/figures are bs not but pointing out that other countries with better “safety nets” still have a high percentage of homeless isn’t something that one should dismiss (if true).

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Even if your unsourced or uncited stats are correct, which I doubt, none of those countries are nearly as rich as America is. Homelessness and inequality are getting far worse in the richest county in the history of the world and in my personal opinion, that is obscene and a failed society. It’s been getting worse for 40 88 years.

FIFY

2 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Just to be clear, so since we’re #1 in wealth we can’t look at what has or hasn’t worked in any other country because they have less wealth?  I have no idea if his facts/figures are bs not but pointing out that other countries with better “safety nets” still have a high percentage of homeless isn’t something that one should dismiss (if true).

The “if true” part is the key. It’s not. 

Nevertheless this country has 100 trillion in wealth. We can afford to throw a few bucks around here and there but we don’t because we are constantly lied to by those who control that wealth. Why people keep getting suckered by this fact is maddening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Lo goddamn l.  Truth.

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I have no idea where he got his specific data, but here’s some info that at least demonstrates it’s not a uniquely American problem, which was his primary point. (This article comes with the disclaimer that it’s problematic to try to compare the stats for homelessness across countries for a variety of reasons.)

https://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/cities-grow-so-do-numbers-homeless

• Hook 'Em 1

Guessing we'll be tent-free by Labor Day.  2022.

Phase 1

Effective Tuesday, May 11, a 30-day period of community engagement and education began. During this time, the Austin Police Department will provide verbal warnings to those found camping in addition to resource information. This excludes instances that are of imminent safety or health concern.

Phase 2

Phase 2 will be another 30-day period, starting June 10, during which APD will begin issuing written warnings and initial citations.

Phase 3

During Phase 3, starting July 10, APD may initiate arrests and/or begin clearing out encampments in areas that have not been cleared following citations.

Phase 4

During Phase 4, citations and arrests will continue as needed. APD will work with City of Austin homeless outreach teams to help provide further information on resources, when available.

All citations issued for violation of the new ordinance will be directed to the Downtown Austin Community Court, or DACC, where personnel evaluate each case and develop disposition plans that include connecting individuals to needed social services and/or assigning them to community service.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/city-of-austin-to-release-camping-ban-enforcement-plan-tuesday-as-it-goes-into-effect/

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

fucking pussies. enact the will of the people, you stupid corrupt dipshits. show some fucking conviction.

I laughed when I read their joke of a response “schedule”.

The citizens should recall all their asses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1