Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

Lulz if you think that schedule will be adhered to.   There will be a statement in 3 or 4 weeks from the city:  "Unforeseen logistical and administrative issues have forced us to re-evaluate and revise our initial plan of enforcement."

Oh, you can bank on it. 

26 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Lulz if you think that schedule will be adhered to.   There will be a statement in 3 or 4 weeks from the city:  "Unforeseen logistical and administrative issues have forced us to re-evaluate and revise our initial plan of enforcement."

Oh, you can bank on it. 

Kinda like digging around MOPAC and Lake Austin Blvd.

amirite?

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Guessing we'll be tent-free by Labor Day.  2022.

Phase 1

Effective Tuesday, May 11, a 30-day period of community engagement and education began. During this time, the Austin Police Department will provide verbal warnings to those found camping in addition to resource information. This excludes instances that are of imminent safety or health concern.

Phase 2

Phase 2 will be another 30-day period, starting June 10, during which APD will begin issuing written warnings and initial citations.

Phase 3

During Phase 3, starting July 10, APD may initiate arrests and/or begin clearing out encampments in areas that have not been cleared following citations.

Phase 4

During Phase 4, citations and arrests will continue as needed. APD will work with City of Austin homeless outreach teams to help provide further information on resources, when available.

All citations issued for violation of the new ordinance will be directed to the Downtown Austin Community Court, or DACC, where personnel evaluate each case and develop disposition plans that include connecting individuals to needed social services and/or assigning them to community service.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/city-of-austin-to-release-camping-ban-enforcement-plan-tuesday-as-it-goes-into-effect/

Why are they treating them like tenants? These aren’t residences. Issuing citations to homeless is pointless. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Phase 1

Effective Tuesday, May 11, a 30-day period of community engagement and education began. During this time, the Austin Police Department will provide verbal warnings to those found camping in addition to resource information. This excludes instances that are of imminent safety or health concern.

Phase 2

Phase 2 will be another 30-day period, starting June 10, during which APD will begin issuing written warnings and initial citations.

Phase 3

During Phase 3, starting July 10, APD may initiate arrests and/or begin clearing out encampments in areas that have not been cleared following citations.

Phase 4

During Phase 4, citations and arrests will continue as needed. APD will work with City of Austin homeless outreach teams to help provide further information on resources, when available.

All citations issued for violation of the new ordinance will be directed to the Downtown Austin Community Court, or DACC, where personnel evaluate each case and develop disposition plans that include connecting individuals to needed social services and/or assigning them to community service.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/city-of-austin-to-release-camping-ban-enforcement-plan-tuesday-as-it-goes-into-effect/

Adler and Casar going into the 4 corners offense...Dean Smith would be proud.

as predicted they will clean up around downtown(fuckface Adler's area) and hike/bike, central austin, so some shit can be "reported" and videoed then it will all stop.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Adler and Casar going into the 4 corners offense...Dean Smith would be proud.

as predicted they will clean up around downtown(fuckface Adler's area) and hike/bike, central austin, so some shit can be "reported" and videoed then it will all stop.

Camping along the hike/bike trail was never legal. Cronk opted to not enforce it due to CDC pandemic guidelines. Are we going to see the list of "temporary" mass camp sites? They better not all be on the east side. 

Why not?the open land there is a lot cheaper than the environmentally sensitive west side with its vulnerable aquifer.

After all, we have seen how respectful the bums are with placement of their garbage, feces & urine in those areas already.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

The “if true” part is the key. It’s not. 

I'm sorry that reality doesn't line up with your perception.  Happens to the best of us.  The numbers are readily available all over the place.  Someone above already posted a link to some basic data.  Being too obtuse to perform a quick google search, and having a strong feeling about something, doesn't make you an authority figure.  As also noted above, it's hard to nail down exact numbers on homeless populations, which should come as a shock to no one.

The point was not the specific numbers anyway.  The point is that nations of all types are dealing with this issue, including those with more pervasive and generous safety nets.  Anyone who discusses this issue from the lens of America's failure to provide proper social safety nets is completely full of shit and agenda driven.  That's the point. We need to resolve this problem.  Social safety nets don't and won't do it.   I'm personally all for expanding our social safety nets for all kinds of reasons, but solving the homelessness problem isn't one of them because that's clearly a fantasy.  Capitalism isn't the problem either, as nations with communist forms of government also deal with large homeless populations.  Maybe if we can set aside these ridiculous notions that do nothing but self-serve political notions we can work on coming up with an actual way to help these people.

I also agree with you regarding the wealth of this nation and how it's controlled by too few.  But I'm not convinced throwing more money at this problem is going to solve it. It certainly hasn't worked anywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Why not?the open land there is a lot cheaper than the environmentally sensitive west side with its vulnerable aquifer.

After all, we have seen how respectful the bums are with placement of their garbage, feces & urine in those areas already.

Fuck you. Put it in West Austin.  Fucking old white people never learn that dumping their problems in East Austin and forgetting about them is not a solution that is going to fly anymore.

Edited by Pasken
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Camping along the hike/bike trail was never legal. Cronk opted to not enforce it due to CDC pandemic guidelines. Are we going to see the list of "temporary" mass camp sites? They better not all be on the east side. 

there is a huge Home Depot in Casar's district to start with.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Fuck you. Put it in West Austin.  Fucking old white people never learn that dumping their problems in East Austin and forgetting about them is not a solution that is going to fly anymore.

because now there's young white people over there?

Edited by MAUFRAIS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Those experiencing bumness, please. 

iu-1.jpeg

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Please take your racist shit somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Please take your racist shit somewhere else.

Is that not the primary makeup of West Austin?

Putting all camps in East Austin would be just another example of the city marginalizing that area and would be a real bad look. Are they going away from the plan on putting a camp in each district? I think at a min they should start by putting it at the HD and other city owned areas but even in East Austin there are not a ton of open areas not near residential. I'm not sure how you put a camp in the middle of some residential area without extreme backlash.

42 minutes ago, Pasken said:

East Austin ain’t what it used to be. That red herring isn’t going to fly anymore.
Dumping the bums in West Austin isn’t fixing anything.

Besides, if Adler can sweep the bums away from the W in the first place, why not keep them out of the beautiful parts of Tarrytown/Pemberton Heights & Mount Bonnell/Balcones?

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Putting all camps in East Austin would be just another example of the city marginalizing that area and would be a real bad look. Are they going away from the plan on putting a camp in each district? I think at a min they should start by putting it at the HD and other city owned areas but even in East Austin there are not a ton of open areas not near residential. I'm not sure how you put a camp in the middle of some residential area without extreme backlash.

There is plenty of open land along the 130 corridor and out by CotA.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it's cute that some of you think the homeless will just hang out in other areas of town because it will make some of you feel better to stick it to the man.  The homeless will migrate to where services, panhandling, and easily available drugs can be found - just like they always have.   That isn't the hills west of town.   Why not just buy the city of Llano for a few bucks and tell them all to move there?  I'm sure it would work great and no one would make their way back to downtown.

6 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

So, just for clarity, if things were reversed you'd had dropped a "fucking old blacks" bomb in there?

Asking for a friend.

Guest Lobo
14 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Westlake then

There’s no good drugs out here, man.  

I mean, that’s what I’ve heard.  

37 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Why, because they are sold out of the back of  a Cayenne instead of an old van?

Is the guy in the Cayenne gay?

If so, then you're good to go!  Trust me on this.

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

Why insist on putting these camps in prime/expensive locations (they don't own) instead of cheap land or city owned property.  Why do they need water or skyline views?

Guess its not about a solution, but some weird flex on the tax paying citizens. 

All first options should be on unused city land.

Second should be the cheapest they can find, why use up land that could be developed for working and middle class families?  With Austin it's always the two percent.  Top one and bottom one, the rest need not apply.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

I think it's cute that some of you think the homeless will just hang out in other areas of town because it will make some of you feel better to stick it to the man.  The homeless will migrate to where services, panhandling, and easily available drugs can be found - just like they always have.   That isn't the hills west of town.   Why not just buy the city of Llano for a few bucks and tell them all to move there?  I'm sure it would work great and no one would make their way back to downtown.

ban panhandling, enforce the laws on the books.  Seek help or a bus ticket.

As many have pointed out, do like San Antonio (not San Francisco) and move all resources to these locations.  It's much easier for the resources come to them than the other way around.

The bold part is admitting its not really about the chronic homeless (down on your luck), its allowing people who don't want to contribute to society, don't want help, to live how and where ever they want. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Phase 1

Phase 2

Phase 3

Phase 4

I don’t have a problem with phase 1. Phase 2 is just stupid and if they are actually gonna have it should last like a week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I don’t have a problem with phase 1. Phase 2 is just stupid and if they are actually gonna have it should last like a week. 

It looks like the City has been given proper legal advice. I presume none of you want the law to be declared unconstitutional by SCOTUS.

In order to defend the ban, the City will need to show good faith enforcement. After the Boise case where SCOTUS denied cert., the Court will be looking for a contrasting case to lay out the Constitutional issues. Austin may be the case.

In other words, the City appears to be preparing the legal battlefield - which is something that should be applauded by those supporting the ban. 

TLDR: We live in a society. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

It looks like the City has been given proper legal advice. I presume none of you want the law to be declared unconstitutional by SCOTUS.

In order to defend the ban, the City will need to show good faith enforcement. After the Boise case where SCOTUS denied cert., the Court will be looking for a contrasting case to lay out the Constitutional issues. Austin may be the case.

In other words, the City appears to be preparing the legal battlefield - which is something that should be applauded by those supporting the ban. 

Yeah, well....fuck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Wouldn't that take someone suing the city over the ordinance? 

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

We are doomed.

We’re “this close” to becoming an idiocracy. Lol. Or we’ve been there for a while. The pandemic has messed with my thinking a bit. Soon we will be able to get legal degrees at Costco. It’s just a matter of time.

EDD89387-DED1-4117-8386-46C09AA855E9.gif

• Hook 'Em 1