Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

maybe i'm underestimating the mess-  seems like a 2 person crew could easily clean 2 underpasses a day.  even after dumping fees they'd each clear $500 a day.

Hazmat (hazardous materials). Bleach and other stuff needs to be used to clean up the feces.

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Hazmat (hazardous materials). Bleach and other stuff needs to be used to clean up the feces.

sharps container and a downstream pressure washer for needles and cleaning. how do you dispose of human fecal matter, can you not just throw it into a dumpster?  

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Meh, there's $64,000,000 in the new city budget allocated to homeless issues so plenty of fat still left.   

16 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Meh, there's $64,000,000 in the new city budget allocated to homeless issues so plenty of fat still left.   

if i have a homeless guy shit on my front yard once a week, can i get the city to clean it up and mow the grass on a weekly basis? what's $25 a week compared to $64M budget?

Our financial reporting mechanisms are beyond unethical.  Went down the road about a year ago of compiling a record and requesting whistleblower protection.  Then we had our second baby and I just stopped giving a fuck.  You wouldn’t Believe we and our investment banks tell the credit reporting agencies.  We are a B+ operation, at best, not AAA   But grifters gonna grift. 

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Up form $40, 000,000.  Its the reason the Mayor created the "crisis".  Got to have a reason to keep gouging property taxes and pay your friends off.  Wait till we add another $20,000,000 to fight climate change.  It's all a fucking sham

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 10:27 PM, Lobo said:

Chief Manley indicated that both violent crime and property crime, in the emphasized areas, have increased 10-20% since the ordinance shift.  I'll get some flack for reporting this but it's a fucking press conference line item that is easy to google.  But your fucking idiot asses will refuse to do so.  I'll get the link.  But that's not the point, the point is what I and others have on this thread have been advocating for.  

well, we have to take some of that with a grain of salt.

i would argue that it's possible that more crime has been revealed, but when the homeless had to live in the woods, if two guys get in a fight, the result is they both lose, but neither is arrested...when that happens under ben white on manchaca, someone calls the cops, and those two dudes go downtown.

Too bad my South Austin firefighter nephew doesn’t post here. He could tell literally hundreds of stories about the crap he and his AFD colleagues have to put up with at those bum camps. He has been on the front line dealing with those types for at least a decade. Of course if he did, he would have all kinds of shade thrown at him by the homeless advocates and probably get fired by Adler.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 10:43 AM, gsoda3 said:

hang on, they clean 60 overpasses once a month and get paid $32,500 / month for it?? is there anything else they're contractually obligated to clean?  because that is RIDICULOUS.  

Have to disagree here. Not only does that seem fair, I think that's a bargain. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 4:48 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

This isn't NY or CA. Banning fracking in any city in TX is fucking stupid. Prohibiting bags is an unnecessary imposition on consumers and retailers. Thankfully the leg in this state has show the will to intercede and will hopefully be a deterrent from a city from thinking they can pass a plastic straw ban or some other joke of a law.

How exactly is banning bags an imposition?

ok, no matter what you say, you are wrong. I live in a county that has sort of banned them, 5 cents a bag. people bring their own to shops or they say "fuck it" and eat the nickel. less bags are used and that leads to less bags in the environment (not like these things really get recycled)

Okay, well if we should ban plastic bags again in austin, how do you propose council addresses the purple plastic bag self cleanup model?  Your brilliant solution involves homeless folks with no spare cash nor spare nylon bags cleaning in their own trash so you can feel better about walking into Whole Foods with our own reusable bag or buying one for a few bucks. 

you realize that no part of your feel good progressive idea had any merit whatsoever?   It’s just one impossibly shitty step after another.   But kudos for winning your HOA “who gives more of a hollow damn” completion this month.  

On 10/18/2019 at 2:49 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Up form $40, 000,000.  Its the reason the Mayor created the "crisis".  Got to have a reason to keep gouging property taxes and pay your friends off.  Wait till we add another $20,000,000 to fight climate change.  It's all a fucking sham

I think they maxed out the tax rate this year because they know they are capped at a lower percentage increase starting next year.  By maxing out the rate increase this year, they raised more revenue than they needed.  The "surplus" ended up as a one-time resource to use on the homeless.

Stuff will hit the fan over the next few years as the tax rate increases are slowed by the new legislation.  Either city programs are going to fight each other for funding and/or we are going to have elections to raise the tax rate beyond the new legislation's limits.

53 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We need an income tax and get rid of property taxes. 

With all due respect, but you made me  Lolololololololololololol

As if any state with an income tax has ever done away with property taxes.
That is NOT how politicians work, especially if the State turns democrat. /cr

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We need an income tax and get rid of property taxes. 

I oppose a state income tax, but I could theoretically support a limited income tax for those moving into the state for their first three years of residence.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

Recall Adler and 5 Council members PAC created. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/new-pac-created-to-recall-mayor-adler-and-5-members-of-city-council/?utm_source=abj&utm_medium=site&utm_campaign=abj-partner

Any chance this gains steam? Getting 100K signatures against Adler seems like a cake walk. 

Edited by 3adays

Yeah, I'm curious who all is behind that PAC.  It's not as easy to tell as you'd think.  And they're lumping in a curious blend of elected officials.  It's not the band of usual suspects.  This is all kinds of odd.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I'm curious who all is behind that PAC.  It's not as easy to tell as you'd think.  And they're lumping in a curious blend of elected officials.  It's not the band of usual suspects.  This is all kinds of odd.  

Epstein?

Sharon Blythe is behind it and she’s a real strange character. You can google her.

She’s Austin’s one and only cemetery gadfly. Very specifically focused on Austin Memorial Park. Like she cares about it a lot. Can be just extraordinarily mean on a personal level. Until today I had no idea her interests went beyond cemeteries. She’s probably been coopted by the Pool faction. No telling what she’s up to.

The strangest thing to me is that she doesn’t have Jimmy Flanagan or Casar in her sights on this. I’m thinking now that she’s unlikely to be pushed by the Pool faction, because they like Tovo and Kitchen. Maybe Laura Pressley and Dons Z?

It’s a very odd set of members. But Sharon Blythe gonna Sharon Blythe I guess.

Sharon Blythe is behind it and she’s a real strange character. You can google her.
She’s Austin’s one and only cemetery gadfly. Very specifically focused on Austin Memorial Park. Like she cares about it a lot. Can be just extraordinarily mean on a personal level. Until today I had no idea her interests went beyond cemeteries. She’s probably been coopted by the Pool faction. No telling what she’s up to.

A quick google shows she’s a native Oklahoman. Explains so much.

Some pretty famous people are buried in the cemetary. It would be a shame if homeless people were camping out there, peeing and pooping on the premises. Certainly people would be surly if they had loved ones there. Of course, it is against the law to deface grave sites, but if the law isn't going to be enforced then I would think the next step would be to go after the people who are keeping the law from being enforced.

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The strangest thing to me is that she doesn’t have Jimmy Flanagan or Casar in her sights on this. I’m thinking now that she’s unlikely to be pushed by the Pool faction, because they like Tovo and Kitchen. Maybe Laura Pressley and Dons Z?

It's all the council members who aren't up for reelection in 2020.

44 minutes ago, chitwood said:

It's all the council members who aren't up for reelection in 2020.

Yeah, that's what she told community impact and I get it, but I'm thinking more about what that indicates about who's behind the effort. She says the recall effort is related to "the land development code, the city’s homelessness challenges and the city’s spending". That's a pretty strong tell. 

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Definitely Don Z. And Bobby Epstein.

• Like 1