Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

Looks like NYC has it figured out...

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/nyc-homeless-initiative-sends-people-across-us-without-telling-receiving-cities/

New York City generously shares its homeless crisis with every corner of America.

From the tropical shores of Honolulu and Puerto Rico, to the badlands of Utah and backwaters of Louisiana, the Big Apple has sent local homeless families to 373 cities across the country with a full year of rent in their pockets as part of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s “Special One-Time Assistance Program.” Usually, the receiving city knows nothing about it.

City taxpayers have spent $89 million on rent alone since the program’s August 2017 inception to export 5,074 homeless families — 12,482 individuals — to places as close as Newark and as far as the South Pacific, according to Department of Homeless Services data obtained by The Post. Families who once lived in city shelters decamped to 32 states and Puerto Rico.

On 10/24/2019 at 5:59 PM, Dbeasy said:

Cord shiflet Facebook post making the rounds about the homeless impact on Austin.

d56f3284b39febc698f56533eb924aa4.jpg

49037ced0769de175d099e7f5fb5ebc5.jpg

ad06526f7e4b09460c7a193c5a11f538.jpg

I know this guy's brother well.  I suspect the doucher gene runs pretty strong in the family.

Somehing needs to be done about the homeless and city leadership (lack thereof) problems here in ATX, but not because of this guy's ramblings.

Edited by Cajun

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/what-happens-when-the-texas-governor-shares-the-worst-day-of-your-life-on-twitter/

What Happens When the Texas Governor Shares the Worst Day of Your Life on Twitter?

As part of his campaign against Austin’s homelessness rules, Greg Abbott tweeted an old video of a non-homeless man having a mental health episode. His attorney says the governor is “retraumatizing” the man and his family.

the City staffer defending his chain solution is cracking me the fuck up this morning.  Look at this face when he discussed the chain and locks, he legitimately thought he was gonna resolve the issue.  You can see the inner confusion on his face, he doesn't understand why this isn't working.  

Half the people in that encampment are suffering from serious psychological issues, and he ordered the parks maintenance crew to bring padlocks.  

I can't believe homeless isn't down on Adler's watch.  What a fucking shock.  You brought 20 feet of chain to a bipolar fight, you fucking child.

Keep projecting man, it's doing wonders for our homeless population.  I am just laughing at another incident of misallocated city resources.  I have mentored almost 100 Social Workers specializing in Mental Illness and Addiction and Homelessness issues at the University of Texas School of Social Work.  And does our city council contact any of them for help?  Do we divert a tiny part of our bloated budget to help them help the homeless?  Do we work out a partnership between the city and UT Social Workers and Central Health and Seton and Texas State Health Services to aid our most vulnerable?  

Nope, instead we feature the Parks & Rec guy who thought his padlock solution was gonna win the day.  

I'm laughing, but it's that twisted laugh at how we fool ourselves into thinking we're just fooling ourselves.  

37 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Weird- I thought y’all wanted people to go back to the hobo jungle.

they would have been fine in the hobo jungle except they couldn't avoid trespassing and committing petty crimes which pissed off the surrounding neighbors. pissed off neighbors means unwelcomed hobos.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Keep projecting man, it's doing wonders for our homeless population.  I am just laughing at another incident of misallocated city resources.  I have mentored almost 100 Social Workers specializing in Mental Illness and Addiction and Homelessness issues at the University of Texas School of Social Work.  And does our city council contact any of them for help?  Do we divert a tiny part of our bloated budget to help them help the homeless?  Do we work out a partnership between the city and UT Social Workers and Central Health and Seton and Texas State Health Services to aid our most vulnerable?  

Nope, instead we feature the Parks & Rec guy who thought his padlock solution was gonna win the day.  

I'm laughing, but it's that twisted laugh at how we fool ourselves into thinking we're just fooling ourselves.  

I'm not projecting on you, man. I'm saying that the "homeless crisis" is not some new phenomenon, it's just homelessness. While I'm not pro-camping by any means and I think the city has done a poor job with this whole thing, I'm glad it happened. People will say that it raised the visibility of homelessness, but what it really did was expose those who don't care or worse. 

Of course the chain is ridiculous, but what's really ridiculous is thinking that we can go back to pretending that the woods are a solution. 

I can see that one from the Slaughter Ln bridge looking down into the greenbelt there. The homeless people actually have a minivan or something that is parked there half the time. I guess that is how they get their junk/building materials/stolen goods over there. It's a gd mess.

i don't care about the homeless, or at least the homeless who want to be homeless, the homeless who steal and commit crimes to continue their drug addiction and their leeching way of life. fuck those assholes. 

i do care about the homeless for whom homelessness is not an end but an unfortunate stop on the way toward's a different end. i do not mind helping (and by this i mean providing funds) people who want to help themselves.

the problem is, the line between the two is ever so slim.

Edited by crash_davis

Of course the chain is ridiculous, but what's really ridiculous is thinking that we can go back to pretending that the woods are a solution. 

I can see that one from the Slaughter Ln bridge looking down into the greenbelt there. The homeless people actually have a minivan or something that is parked there half the time. I guess that is how they get their junk/building materials/stolen goods over there. It's a gd mess.

I'm not advocating for one side or the other, but I watched the segment with the parks guy, and at some point he indicated that the chains had been put up because people were car camping at the site and it was initially to keep vehicles out.   There's enough legitimate idiocy already, but this didn't appear to be one of those things.  

Has someone done a thorough study of the Austin homeless study to determine how many there really are and what the real circumstances are for them? What percentage have mental health issues? What percentages have an addiction? What is the job and skill history of each? Why are they homeless? What are the categories of why they are homeless? What have they done to try and not be homeless? Why did throat not work? What are their homeless circumstances?

Having this data would be extremely helpful in understanding the real problems and best solutions. I have to believe the city has done this study.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Has someone done a thorough study of the Austin homeless study to determine how many there really are and what the real circumstances are for them? What percentage have mental health issues? What percentages have an addiction? What is the job and skill history of each? Why are they homeless? What are the categories of why they are homeless? What have they done to try and not be homeless? Why did throat not work? What are their homeless circumstances?

Having this data would be extremely helpful in understanding the real problems and best solutions. I have to believe the city has done this study.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Well, our homeless czar was brought here, in large part, to craft and deploy that very type of study.  So we could then better assess how to deploy resources.

Then she met our City Council and Mayor, and quit three weeks in citing wanting to spend more time with her family.  She's now a consultant all indications out of city hall are that we don't have anybody to truly assess the homeless population in the near future, but we're going we've increased the budget by 50% with zero plans on how to more effectively target those funds.  To question this approach is to be inhuman and without compassion. 

Well, our homeless czar was brought here, in large part, to craft and deploy that very type of study.  So we could then better assess how to deploy resources.
Then she met our City Council and Mayor, and quit three weeks in citing wanting to spend more time with her family.  She's now a consultant all indications out of city hall are that we don't have anybody to truly assess the homeless population in the near future, but we're going we've increased the budget by 50% with zero plans on how to more effectively target those funds.  To question this approach is to be inhuman and without compassion. 

You seem like you are tied into people involved with this problem. Is there a way to help? I’d spend some time on the problem.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

My wife said all the homeless were gone overnight from downtown. Where did Abbot put them? Did he have them killed? 

It’s people!  Franklin Brisket is people!

5 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

C'mon, man. Have some compassion. The homeless have been through enough. There's no need to subject them to watching our basketball team.

If you clean up and get off the drugs and alcohol, we'll let you leave The Drum.

• Like 1

it feels slightly disconcerting. i mean, yeah, i'm kinda happy to see the clean up (183/Ohlen and 183/Burnet are the areas i pass most frequently)...but yeah, umm... where'd they GO? 😒 they weren't just rounded up in the middle of the night and shipped off somewhere.