Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah we should keep doing what we are doing because it works super well. Good job man. As long as you want cops to be the primary homelessness and mental illness management agency this will be the result. Maybe when you have one in your house you'll get it. 

Those poor misunderstood homeless people. We need to forgive all the shit that they cause because they are homeless and crazy.

Yea, fuck them. Stop treating these leeches with kid gloves. I don't give money to every fucking homeless person I walk by on the street. Why the fuck should I pay to house, feed, and treat their crazies? And even better, you're asking that we do that for every fucking homeless asshole who sets up camp in the city limits.

FUCK THAT.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Man accused of pulling knife on UT freshman’s dad, threatening to kill him during move-in

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-accused-of-pulling-knife-on-ut-freshmans-dad-threatening-to-kill-him-during-move-in/

Word is this was a homeless man.

All he needs is a free home, free food, and free crazy treatments and he'll be a model, productive tax paying citizen. By the way, all the free shit means that you, I, and everyone in the city/county pay for it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

He was actually waking the property and performing the early stages of due diligence so Adler could buy it at 3x market valuation and convert it to transitional housing for a few hundred homeless.  

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

On the surface.  But prepare to get acquainted with a 10x10 cage. 

Think of your target.  Think of the city. 

I mean the guy who shot a BLM protestor hasn’t seen the inside of the cage yet, has he?

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Yea, fuck them. Stop treating these leeches with kid gloves. I don't give money to every fucking homeless person I walk by on the street. Why the fuck should I pay to house, feed, and treat their crazies?

"Why the fuck should I pay to house, feed, and treat their crazies?" says local man who supports housing, feeding and treating crazies.

The Travis County Jail is the largest provider of mental health and institutional care in a 200 mile radius. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

All he needs is a free home, free food, and free crazy treatments and he'll be a model, productive tax paying citizen. By the way, all the free shit means that you, I, and everyone in the city/county pay for it.

again, what you describe above is the system you support. 

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

"Why the fuck should I pay to house, feed, and treat their crazies?" says local man who supports housing, feeding and treating crazies.

The Travis County Jail is the largest provider of mental health and institutional care in a 200 mile radius. 

seriously, it's madness. it's not fair to either the cops or the homeless or the jail out in del valle. everyone has other shit to do. we do need to find some actual solutions, but leveraging police as "mental health cops" is so goddamn stupid. 

ps, i also hate that it is celebrated on the mugshot thread. i hated it on the old site, and i don't like it here. "hey everyone, let's mock the mentally ill because they are run through the system time and time again! mwahahahaha, so funny!" fuck that.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

seriously, it's madness. it's not fair to either the cops or the homeless or the jail out in del valle. everyone has other shit to do. we do need to find some actual solutions, but leveraging police as "mental health cops" is so goddamn stupid. 

ps, i also hate that it is celebrated on the mugshot thread. i hated it on the old site, and i don't like it here. "hey everyone, let's mock the mentally ill because they are run through the system time and time again! mwahahahaha, so funny!" fuck that.

And it is certainly not fair to the victims of the violence & criminal mischief perpetrated by the homeless, whether they are mentally ill of just plain shitheads.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Note that 200 miles includes San Antonio. To me the craziest thing is that spittle flinging rage monkeys and the pound foolish Todd and Donn contingent of Austin are THE reason why we can't do what San Antonio does (along with better transit, roads, land use policy, lower housing costs, etc). Too many people who are just too angry and too cheap, combined with a total commitment to never becoming a world class city. They don't want solutions. They want time machines. So we get the half-measures we deserve. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Patience. 

A 16 year old honor student was shot in the head by a sniper for standing on the side of a hill, while watching a protest, and over a decade of teaching my kids to respect cops was undone.
Watch this and tell us more about patience.

Throw a few bucks at the family of Brad Ayala if you care. The kid has a long road ahead of him and will likely never be the same. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

again, what you describe above is the system you support. 

You forget the obvious benefit. They are off the streets shitting everywhere, trashing up places, committing crimes and being a general fucking nuisance.

If I'm paying for their asses anyway, then put them in jail where they aren't a threat to anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

You forget the obvious benefit. They are off the streets shitting everywhere, trashing up places, committing crimes and being a general fucking nuisance.

If I'm paying for their asses anyway, then put them in jail where they aren't a threat to anyone.

But that's what we do today.  Again, the system you are angry about is the system you are asking for, genius, which is also the most expensive approach to the problem, Great plan. You and this dog should do drive time on KLBJ-AM
135891.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

But that's what we do today.  Again, the system you are angry about is the system you are asking for, genius, which is also the most expensive approach to the problem, Great plan. You and this dog should do drive time on KLBJ-AM
135891.jpg

The alternative is what we are seeing today. Shit everywhere. Petty crimes. I'd rather pay for their asses to disappear than the bullshit now. Why should tax paying citizens be besieged by leeches?

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah we should keep doing what we are doing because it works super well. Good job man. As long as you want cops to be the primary homelessness and mental illness management agency this will be the result. Maybe when you have one in your house you'll get it. 

I am all for truly mentally ill people being hospitalized and treated.  I want cops to protect citizens(see recent UT homeless guy on the drag knife incident). my problem is they want to put all 7K(I think it is at least double that now) in the mentally ill bucket.  Fuck that.  If they've been violent, put them in jail, loitering they can get run out on a rail somewhere else.  If they want a mental health professional to check a person after the cops have deemed it safe great. Why can't we have more police presence and mental health professionals and cut all the bullshit pet projects like a 10B dollar(that will probably be 30B by the time is is over) transportation project.

just because someone homeless is violent or will break into someone's house or camp in a tent(on public or private land) doesn't make them mentally ill. Sometimes, a LOT of times IMO, there are just lazy people or drug addicts.  Even ones who have homes can be lazy shitty people and drug addicts but they have found a way to have a residence.

I do think there is a self fulfilling prophecy to some extent that mental health professionals don't want to admit that their "homeless patient" might be just a person who is generally fine and doesn't want help.

I wonder how many homeless people get put into halfway houses or the like and then return back to homelessness because they just don't care.

I ask again, we have a large public land space right downtown.  can easly provide potable water/portajohns/etc. just like they do on 183 over/underpasses and elsewhere around the city. why not just let them all camp there? why won't the mayor use that space for his project?  they can set up temporary mental health facilities in FEMA trailers.  They are near public transit and jobs and govt facilities which everyone says is essential to help solving the problem.  why force them into creek/watershed areas and major right of ways?

Man, you have a whole lot of feelings that can only be called unfounded beliefs. For example, that 7K number. You probably don't know there's a homeless census. or that "homeless" does not mean "outside." 7K is an approximate total number of people who were homeless over the course of 2018. Of those, only about 2200-2300 are homeless at any given moment and only about half of those  are unsheltered. 
homelessness-01.png

Nobody, literally nobody is saying that all 7K are mentally ill. The rest of your post isn't really worth addressing because the premises are so off base. But your beef with transportation infrastructure is a perfect example of the kind of self-defeating myopic frugality that is ruining this city. Maybe you would be happier in a smaller city that isn't growing?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Man, you have a whole lot of feelings that can only be called unfounded beliefs. For example, that 7K number. You probably don't know there's a homeless census. 7K is an approximate total number of people who were homeless over the course of 2018. Of those, only about 2200-2300 are homeless at any given moment and only about half of those  are unsheltered. 
homelessness-01.png

Nobody, literally nobody is saying that all 7K are mentally ill. The rest of your post isn't really worth addressing because the premises are so off base. But your beef with transportation infrastructure is a perfect example of the kind of self-defeating myopic frugality that is ruining this city. Maybe you would be happier in a smaller city that isn't growing?

OK.  why don't the use Zilker to let the 1000 or whatever number camp there?

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because that would inhibit public enjoyment of an irreplaceable recreation amenity. I don't think camping should be allowed in any public park. 

Its one park and they can section it off. there are tons of other parks as well.  why would having a portion of the park sectioned off for 1000 unsheltered inhibit public enjoyment?

Edited by dcar00

Just now, dcar00 said:

Its one park and they can section it off. there are tons of other parks as well.  why would having a portion of be for 1000 unsheltered inhibit public enjoyment?

If you think you've constructed some kind of gotcha here, you're wrong. Do you propose that homeless be allowed to camp in public parks? I thought that you wanted to reinstate the camping ban. 

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

If you think you've constructed some kind of gotcha here, you're wrong. Do you propose that homeless be allowed to camp in public parks? I thought that you wanted to reinstate the camping ban. 

Oh no I'm right.  I want them to enforce the loitering city ordinance.  the mayor can apparently do all kinds of stuff but he can't take a portion of a city park and make it a place to allow homeless to camp?

The east side of Walter Long Lake is a city park and is completely empty.   Anyone do Boy Scouts back in the day?   Those camps included hot water and real toilets.  Camp Constantin is still going on Possum Kingdom.  Camp Cherokee (now Camp Trevor Rees-Jones) had a swimming pool.  Given the location, you could actually run real city sewer lines and not have to do septic.  Set up a commissary and let the homeless "campers" elect their own government, quartermaster, etc.  Set up an economic system that gives those that want out a chance to earn their way out, and those that don't care can camp as long as they want.  Free hot food, hot water, showers, real toilets..... with draconian surveillance and a zero-tolerance policy on hard crime and violence.

Punishment for violators in camp is transportation to the Stiles jail in Reagan County.  Run a bus once a week from the city jail.

Anyone caught camping anywhere in Austin without a permit?  You get a free ride to the Long Lake campsite.

The cat is out of the bag and tcoa is going to have to spend money to get out of this mess, one way or another.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The east side of Walter Long Lake is a city park and is completely empty.   Anyone do Boy Scouts back in the day?   Those camps included hot water and real toilets.  Camp Constantin is still going on Possum Kingdom.  Camp Cherokee (now Camp Trevor Rees-Jones) had a swimming pool.  Given the location, you could actually run real city sewer lines and not have to do septic.  Set up a commissary and let the homeless "campers" elect their own government, quartermaster, etc.  Set up an economic system that gives those that want out a chance to earn their way out, and those that don't care can camp as long as they want.  Free hot food, hot water, showers, real toilets..... with draconian surveillance and a zero-tolerance policy on hard crime and violence.

Punishment for violators in camp is transportation to the Stiles jail in Reagan County.  Run a bus once a week from the city jail.

Anyone caught camping anywhere in Austin without a permit?  You get a free ride to the Long Lake campsite.

The cat is out of the bag and tcoa is going to have to spend money to get out of this mess, one way or another.

oh sure just push them out to the sticks where there are no health centers, jobs, public transport.  so heartless, you are.  you just don't understand the nuances of the homeless situation, obviously.

57 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Oh no I'm right.  I want them to enforce the loitering city ordinance.  the mayor can apparently do all kinds of stuff but he can't take a portion of a city park and make it a place to allow homeless to camp?

lol, what on earth do you imagine a mayor can do in a city manager city? He chairs the city council meeting and has a few emergency powers. Oh, and declarations. That's about it. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

lol, what on earth do you imagine a mayor can do in a city manager city? He chairs the city council meeting and has a few emergency powers. Oh, and declarations. That's about it. 

lol, the mayor can certainly push the agenda with the city manager and the council.  he did that with the removal of the camping ban, lol.  yes the mayor doesn't implement anything but you knew that.  Its only 1000 people, find place in a particular park let them camp. provide water, sanitation and transportation.   hell he can probably declare some type of "emergency" and start doing things without council approval.

why would having a portion of a park sectioned off for 1000 unsheltered inhibit public enjoyment?  this is important. who cares about the public enjoyment of a few folks that live near Zilker or even Walter E Long as suggested above.  Tell the other 6000 to move along, get them bus tickets or put them further out.  The 6k that aren't mentally ill without shelter can figure it out.

There is an easy solution on city owned land not a mile from where the mayor lives.  he should get to work.

How many hotels has Houston bought? How about San Antonio? How about Dallas?

When the purple carts for personal belongings are are strewn with trash and just as fucked up as everything else in the camps, will some of you then admit that a lot of these people don't want help and services and that they are doing absolutely nothing to better themselves and are making our city unsafe and look like a third world country?

It is hard to fathom that if most of these folks wanted out of homelessness that they could not have done so during the previous few years where the local unemployment was under 4% and there were literally help wanted signs on every fucking business.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/27/2020 at 9:15 AM, Orange&White said:

It is hard to fathom that if most of these folks wanted out of homelessness that they could not have done so during the previous few years where the local unemployment was under 4% and there were literally help wanted signs on every fucking business.

People who need mental health support, and end up living under the bridge, generally aren't good at figuring out the employment thing.

Especially those who need medication.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

With the lack of productive people downtown due to COVID, the homeless population has become a real beating. 

Whatever it is Austin is trying to accomplish, it ain't working.

as long as the mayor and city council don't have to find a place for them or move them out then it is mission accomplished.  it absolutely is working in their minds, because they are being sympathetic to the plight by doing nothing.

13 hours ago, Deej said:

As long as the APD officers they have as their bodyguards aren't part of being defunded, it's all good, I guess. 

Adler gets private security. I'm sure that's not free:

The department’s three-person executive protection unit, which provides Adler’s security, would transition to private security officers, as would Municipal Court security.

• 2 weeks later...

Shoal Creek homeowners say city still hasn't cleared encampments near homes

Last week, people living near Shoal Creek told CBS Austin their concerns about homeless encampments on the greenbelt bordering their homes.

Neighbors say the encampments, located in the area of W. 29th Street and N. Lamar Boulevard, have gotten larger and increasingly dangerous in the past several months.

Homeowners Holly Lanham and Misty Reid say people in the encampments frequently yell profanities, pile trash near the river and start fires in the heavily wooded area near their homes.

When our story aired, Council Member Alison Alter posted a statement saying the camps would be cleared at the end of the week.

However, neighbors say that still hasn't happened -- one week later. "We haven't seen cleanup crews at all. The camps are still there," says Holly Lanham.

"This is not the first time they've made a promise and nothing happens," says Misty Reid.

CBS Austin reached out to the Parks and Recreation Department, a spokesperson said they're currently working to resolve the issues with the encampments and sent this statement:

Encampments along Shoal Creek have received attention over the course of 2020 up to and including removal and clean up. Recent issues specific to Shoal Creek were addressed in the last two months and included multiple visits and support from the Austin Police Department.

Neighbors say the situation has gotten worse ever since city council voted to allow camping in public places last year. However, the new ordinance did not allow camping in public parks. "Why is there no action being taken? I don't know who's responsible for enforcing the no camping in the park," says Misty Reid.

CBS Austin spoke with Council Member Alison Alter Wednesday, she and Kathie Tovo were the only two on council to vote against the camping ordinance last year. "I will get back with PARD (Parks and Rec. Dept) and make sure they keep moving to help the situation," says Alter.

Alter says Parks and Rec., Watershed Protection and Austin Police are responsible for enforcing the no camping rule in parks. However, since the beginning of the pandemic the CDC recommended not displacing people in encampments -- so no citations have been issued in months.

Alter says there are also issues with available resources for people who are displaced. "Where we're struggling is resources for single adults," says Alter.

Alter says her staff is working to triage people in need of permanent housing and developing places for people to go once they're out of temporary shelters and transitioning to permanent housing.

Homeowner Misty Reid tells CBS Austin she's tired of the city passing the buck on the issue and wants something done for the safety of her neighbors and people in the camps who are currently also living on a dangerous floodplain.

Council Member Alter says she will continue to work with people in the area to protect homeowners and find a permanent solution to the issue.

When asked if city council made a mistake repealing the camping ban, Council Member Alison Alter said, "Yes, I'm very frustrated with the situation we're in, I don't think we had a plan which is why I voted against it-- and we're still struggling to do that but now we're building the plane as we're flying instead of having it built before we launched in that direction."

Edited by Mappable

Beyond what seems like permanent camps under 183 at Duval and Braker there is an increasing amount of graffiti. The new one at 183 and the on ramp to mopac - heading east on 183 - makes me rage. That and the trash everywhere on the sides of the road. What the H is happening to Austin.