Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We need to hire this guy to build a shitload of underground homes east of Austin.  

If I was living in a household full of females,  I'd think about this for a man cave.  Especially if the females were in the  pre teen/ teenage stage and the wife was menopausal.  Perfect hiding place to escape the drama from all of them.    LOL

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

And the homeless women and children? Do we murder them, too?

Not advocating the above suggestion of murder, but there should never be homeless children. CPS should take care of that, at least to the extent that the children are homeless because their parents are homeless. Runaways - who will just run away from a foster family - are something different.

Shouldn’t be any homeless women between 18-65 then either.  Oral sex is way easier than panhandling.  I should know, I was pre-law.  

On 6/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, drt said:

Ya since our first was born we've stopped walking to Radio because that area is now dangerous.  Besides the feces, needles, intoxicated people there, there has also been a few sexual assualts, 1 stabbing, and at least one case of indecent exposure towards the elementary school that I can think off offhand. 

Our kiddo just turned 2, so it's been a pretty steep nosedive and we've been in the neighborhood around 5 years.  We were so pumped when Radio and El Chilito went in for the walkablity factor, but we just don't go to either unless driving.  Shit like this is why people leave for the burbs.

I live right nearby Dan's. It is not dangerous at all. I've never seen needles. I've never heard of anyone getting assaulted, let alone seen it. Homeless people never attack children. 90%+ of violence towards children is from family members and family friends. I don't like the fact that there is a damn homeless camp under 290, but you and others like you are blowing things WAY out of proportion. 

You ever help with the clean up?  You might be more likely to see needles at that point.  I notice you didn't say you hadn't seen feces.

There have been 15 assaults or robbery by assault in the last year within 2000 feet of sunrise church.  That is from the CoA crime map.  It does not take into account the beating that resulted in the guy being murdered at the bus stop last year.  It also doesn't include the woman that was sexually assaulted walking home from Camino south side.

It was a homeless guy that was arrested for exposing himself to kids leaving Joslin.

I may be overreacting.  But I'm just tired of this shit, and don't trust the city to manage this with any reasonable duty of care towards the rest of us.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, drt said:

You ever help with the clean up?  You might be more likely to see needles at that point.  I notice you didn't say you hadn't seen feces.

There have been 15 assaults or robbery by assault in the last year within 2000 feet of sunrise church.  That is from the CoA crime map.  It does not take into account the beating that resulted in the guy being murdered at the bus stop last year.  It also doesn't include the woman that was sexually assaulted walking home from Camino south side.

It was a homeless guy that was arrested for exposing himself to kids leaving Joslin.

I may be overreacting.  But I'm just tired of this shit, and don't trust the city to manage this with any reasonable duty of care towards the rest of us.

If you don't trust the city, who do you want to handle it?

Wasn't it a homeless guy who killed the girl, Haruka Weiser, on UT's campus?

57 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

I live right nearby Dan's. It is not dangerous at all. I've never seen needles. I've never heard of anyone getting assaulted, let alone seen it. Homeless people never attack children. 90%+ of violence towards children is from family members and family friends. I don't like the fact that there is a damn homeless camp under 290, but you and others like you are blowing things WAY out of proportion. 

banning panhandling isn't going to do shit. what are you gonna do? give the guy panhandling a ticket? yeah, that'll deter him. or arrest him? sure, let's just fill our jails with panhandlers and use our tax dollars to pay for their shelter while we clog our courts with petty-ass panhandling arrests. i don't know what the solution is, but banning panhandling isn't going to do it. and that's what it comes down to for someone with nothing to lose. tickets and jail don't mean anything to this population. 

is there documented evidence that cities pay for one-way bus tickets to austin for their homeless? I've always heard that, but I have always assumed it's bullshit. 

We will continue to tread water on the homeless issue, and in fact, will sink a little lower, if we do anything to encourage things.

It needs to be addressed at the state level, perhaps the national level.  People who need need mental health counseling/therapy/whatever need to be separated out from those who simply had shit go wrong and need a hand to get back on their feet, and both of those groups need to be separated out from those who have decided it’s a lifestyle (which arguably has tinges of mental health issues).

The businesses downtown really need to push hard on the City Council, as do residents in general, and maybe there is some pushback, but this City Council acts like they are in a fucking vacuum at times.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Get rid of loop holes allowing able bodied people not caring for a dependent to not work and receive well fare

I'm not gonna bite on the cloak roominess of tying work requirements to welfare. But homeless people aren't typically on welfare. They're just fucking homeless. So welfare isn't what's driving this.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Have the city buy up, or build one of these:

seattle-public-storage-updated-design.jp

And remodel the interior along these lines:

japanese-capsule-hotel-tokyo-japan-450w-

I feel ya, but in about 5 years that top ic is gonna look like this:
5nhj5kq2wqqy.jpg

And then Council will be bitching about needing more money to "upgrade substandard facilities."

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Homeless and mentally ill. Pretty common combo.

I'm going to do something rare here - I'm going to disagree with you and try to do so politely.

While I do agree the treatment of mentally ill in our state and country is lacking - I strongly disagree with simply lump-summing them together in a solution discussion.

Why cannot we, the constituency, have expectations of hygienic and personal conduct legal enforcement in our major metropolitan areas AND a compassionate process to identify and provide help to the mentally ill?

Is it too much to ask that we provide a safe haven for the rule of law and comfort to those who genuinely are in need?

Edited by Grippe
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grippe said:

I'm going to do something rare here - I'm going to disagree with you and try to do so politely.

While I do agree the treatment of mentally ill in our state and country is lacking - I strongly disagree with simply lump-summing them together in a solution discussion.

I think the statement you quoted is pretty accurate.  Mental illness is very common in the homeless community.  No one is saying that one blanket solution covers all situations.  

It’s interesting - if you look at maps of Austin around a century ago, there was a big-ass mental asylum around the area roughly between Central Market on North Lamar, and Shoal Creek, north of 38th.  There was also a separate one for African-Americans.  

We used to really give a shit.  We took it too far - Uncle Larry shouldn’t have been locked up because he was caught wearing his sister’s clothes one too many times.  Some would argue we didn’t go far enough and didn’t institutionalize enough mentally ill, hence the need for Texas A&M surviving past the early 1900s.   We did some barbaric shit as well.

But it feels like we need to take another look at it.  Somebody in our neighborhood had to deal with a bipolar person whose parents had rented them an apartment, and said bipolar person would not stay on their meds, and had no supervision.    They would do crazy shit, and the cops (Austin has cops trained to deal with the mentally ill. Apparently just ask when talking to 911) would sometimes take them somewhere, but they could get out fairly easy on their own, after they were on their meds and coherent.   This person needed constant supervision, and their parents couldn’t or wouldn’t provide it.  After the parents are gone, this person will spiral in pretty hard.  

27 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I think the statement you quoted is pretty accurate.  Mental illness is very common in the homeless community.  No one is saying that one blanket solution covers all situations.  

Uh, our next bond float says it is.  

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

I live off Rundberg. I've had a few moments where I realized the best idea was to move along very quickly. None involved the homeless, but did involve people openly brandishing weapons.

Pussy

j/k

Edited by Lhorn

52 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You do know that admitting you felt you had to run for your life anywhere in Austin, lets us know two things. 

For the people from real hoods, it amuses us because we know how much of a pussy you are.

For everyone, it lets us know your racist and scared of non-whites.

Just thought you should know that.

For the record, white young homeless men cause me more concern than female or non-whites, so you're not the only racist and I'm also ageist.

Lighten up Francis.  It was a joke about people being scared of the east side back in the day.  I worked in East Austin schools for years where I was the only white male in the building most of the time. It was a running joke about how white people were scared to come over there.

Austin has never had a ghetto in the time I have lived here since 1991.

13 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If I was living in a household full of females,  I'd think about this for a man cave.  Especially if the females were in the  pre teen/ teenage stage and the wife was menopausal.  Perfect hiding place to escape the drama from all of them.    LOL

I think this is more to your liking, but you’re gonna need:

• sandstone
  • an excavator whose tracks and bucket marks you can hide
  • a clear spring
  • a muddy spring
  • a termite mound
  • malaria
  • two hardy Cambodians
Spoiler

15 hours ago, irishtexan said:

is there documented evidence that cities pay for one-way bus tickets to austin for their homeless? I've always heard that, but I have always assumed it's bullshit. 

I don’t know how widespread it is, but a while back a Llano County deputy pulled up to the parking garage at the Galleria in Bee Cave, dropped a homeless guy off and told him he could find a ride into Austin.  

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Those loop holes do not exist. They are a figment of your imagination.

The number of able-bodied adults dependent on food stamps remains near a record high. Federal law currently requires able-bodied adults who are between the ages of 18 and 50 and who have no dependents to work, train, or volunteer at least 20 hours per week to remain eligible for food stamps after receiving them for three months. Yet, some gaping holes in the work requirement have allowed for chronic dependency. As a result, six in 10 able-bodied adults on food stamps do not work at all, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

States also have abused waivers that were intended originally for areas with high unemployment rates—above 10 percent—to exempt large swaths of their states from work requirements. Today, despite a near-record-low unemployment rate and nearly 7 million available jobs across the country, more than one-third of all Americans live in an area where work requirements have been waived, according to Department of Agriculture data. In fact, of the 1,300 areas in which work requirements were waived last year, just 28 had unemployment rates above 10 percent, according to calculations by Sam Adolphsen of the Foundation for Government Accountability.

https://www.heritage.org/insider/winter-2019-insider/work-what-welfare-missing

As always DD. Show your work 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Probably less imagination and more of an insular social media circle combined with a lack of intellectual curiosity.

Don’t be so hard on yourself.....

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 6/18/2019 at 9:52 PM, David Dennison said:

And the homeless women and children? Do we murder them, too?

Is it murder when the vet puts down your dog or cat who are or will be suffering with little hope of recovery? What if a physician assists a neurodegenerative patient with suicide?

17 hours ago, David Dennison said:

If you don't trust the city, who do you want to handle it?

I'd prefer state or federal.  CoA is planning on 9mil initial site investment + 2mil yearly operating costs for 100 beds.  Estimated chronically homeless in Austin is 2k, with another ~8k on any given night.  Multiply that out and that's a ton of freaking money for municipalities to spend to make any sort of reasonable dent in housing/treating a number of people that is growing in every major city in Texas.  This is a big enough problem state/nation wide that a few million here or there isn't going to cut it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drt said:

I'd prefer state or federal.  CoA is planning on 9mil initial site investment + 2mil yearly operating costs for 100 beds.  Estimated chronically homeless in Austin is 2k, with another ~8k on any given night.  Multiply that out and that's a ton of freaking money for municipalities to spend to make any sort of reasonable dent in housing/treating a number of people that is growing in every major city in Texas.  This is a big enough problem state/nation wide that a few million here or there isn't going to cut it.

If you build it, they will come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:
13 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Probably less imagination and more of an insular social media circle combined with a lack of intellectual curiosity.

i.e, the Cloak Room

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The number of able-bodied adults dependent on food stamps remains near a record high. Federal law currently requires able-bodied adults who are between the ages of 18 and 50 and who have no dependents to work, train, or volunteer at least 20 hours per week to remain eligible for food stamps after receiving them for three months. Yet, some gaping holes in the work requirement have allowed for chronic dependency. As a result, six in 10 able-bodied adults on food stamps do not work at all, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

States also have abused waivers that were intended originally for areas with high unemployment rates—above 10 percent—to exempt large swaths of their states from work requirements. Today, despite a near-record-low unemployment rate and nearly 7 million available jobs across the country, more than one-third of all Americans live in an area where work requirements have been waived, according to Department of Agriculture data. In fact, of the 1,300 areas in which work requirements were waived last year, just 28 had unemployment rates above 10 percent, according to calculations by Sam Adolphsen of the Foundation for Government Accountability.

https://www.heritage.org/insider/winter-2019-insider/work-what-welfare-missing

As always DD. Show your work 

Food stamps are not what you are talking about. You are talking able bodied individuals with no dependents getting a check from the federal government because they are poor.

That is a figment of your imagination. It doesn't happen.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

“Welfare is a term used to describe the benefits distributed by governmental entities to support low-income Americans.   The benefits paid to the poor can include cash or in-kind benefits such as food or rent vouchers.“ 

Had to look it up myself but several sources list food stamps as being a form of welfare benefits. 

Edited by Lhorn

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Food stamps are not what you are talking about. You are talking able bodied individuals with no dependents getting a check from the federal government because they are poor.

That is a figment of your imagination. It doesn't happen.

Foodstamps = welfare you freaking liar. Your words attributed to me are a figment of your imagination. 

Show me the post I said the government simply cuts them a check??

Please, stop spreading your lies all over this board.  You can’t help but be morally bankrupt on any topic. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Maybe back on topic --

It's drugs. You have to somehow try to get these people off drugs. I think Russell Brand is kind of a goober but he's decent on this topic.

Maybe they all have to be treated like "mentally ill" to just keep them locked down somewhere, where they can be fed, showered, clothed, good night sleep, kept busy, and drug free for 30 days and see where that gets you. Sounds like I'm saying imprison the homeless, but in reality they get arrested and released constantly anyway... I think having churches and local charities involved could make it a lot more friendly and positive.  

• Like 1