Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

It's like everyone involved is dug in to the point where nobody will consider that there is some option between "forcing them to live like hobbits in the woods" and "having them build entire slum towns in the middle of critical infrastructure". 

If you try to force them out from under the overpasses to live in certain camping areas that are away from shit and don't allow drugs, they'll go right back to the woods. Many still live in the woods. 

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

We do need more affordable housing. Where are all of the people working minimum wage jobs supposed to live? 

This shit is out of control and what we're currently doing isn't working. I think they need to build a hundred shelters that sleep ~20 people each, interspersed in communities throughout the entire city. And in all communities. Not just in poor communities. No more giant shelters housing hundreds or people, which basically creates a place to congregate, buy drugs, and be homeless. Provide everyone a place to stay, with food, mental health resources, counseling, job training, etc. For those that want to tent outside, designate a large swath of public land away from residential areas, pedestrian traffic, roads/highways, etc., and have a permanent police presence. But no more tent cities in public places.

Of course that would require lots of money, and people's attitudes toward the homeless are generally "fuck em" so I'm sure that plan wouldn't have a chance of every being resourced. Looks like we're caught between a collective desire to be compassionate progressives vs. an unwillingness to pay to address the problem. Oh well. Guess we're fucked.

100 shelters for approx 20 people isn't going to be near enough.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Correct. And it’s obvious Austin has become a destination city for those who can’t and/or won’t take steps to take care of themselves, so whatever you build, you will need more. Other cities and towns take control of their situation to make sure they don’t unfairly become the answer for every homeless person. 

On 3/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, Dbeasy said:

Drove all through South Austin today and didn't realize how ridiculously out of control the homeless and tent situation had become.  I just don't understand how our government officials (and a significant portion of our citizens?) believe that letting people live for months and years in tents under underpasses and beside the road is acceptable, in any way, shape or form.  And any comment along the lines of "well what do we do with them?" demonstrates an incredible lack of common sense, but if that's the defense you want to put up, good luck with that. 

I only make it to Austin a couple times a year and every time the city looks more like shit and I have less desire to visit.  

• Hook 'Em 2

i went downtown for the first time in a long time, and i honestly had no idea what has happened along the hike and bike trail. holy fuck. i mean, i'm always at manchaca/south first and ben white, so i knew about that, but i had no idea what was happening along town lake. 

I knew when a neighbor got shouted down online. She was expressing serious concerns as a female running around Town Lake at many points where these camps are setup along the trail.  And of course, the virtue signaling progressives shouted her down as being overly concerned with her privilege.  Basically, "Obviously nobody wants anything physical to happen to any woman...but your need to exercise does not supersede these people's right to simply live."  

This whole mess is gonna get worse before it gets better.  I love that the two blocks along the trail where no camping is allowed is the block in front of City Hall and the block in front of Adler's condo's view to Town Lake.

6 years in, two years of that really bad with the camping and violence.......not one fucking solution of root causes put forth by Council or Adler.  Never mind no allocation of resources.  Absolutely incredible.  The grift on the real estate their only solution because you can't shakedown a social worker for kick-backs.  I'm sure Casar tried. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I knew when a neighbor got shouted down online. She was expressing serious concerns as a female running around Town Lake at many points where these camps are setup along the trail.  And of course, the virtue signaling progressives shouted her down as being overly concerned with her privilege.  Basically, "Obviously nobody wants anything physical to happen to any woman...but your need to exercise does not supersede these people's right to simply live."  

This whole mess is gonna get worse before it gets better.  I love that the two blocks along the trail where no camping is allowed is the block in front of City Hall and the block in front of Adler's condo's view to Town Lake.

6 years in, two years of that really bad with the camping and violence.......not one fucking solution of root causes put forth by Council or Adler.  Never mind no allocation of resources.  Absolutely incredible.  The grift on the real estate their only solution because you can't shakedown a social worker for kick-backs.  I'm sure Casar tried. 

Preach on, but the “progressives” are going to progress Austin into a shithole that will be difficult to clean up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

it does not appear that allowing the in-the-open-camping-anywhere has benefited anyone.

i have seen no evidence or even stories showing that removing the camping ban has improved delivery, quality or quantity of services for the homeless. 

in fact, a strong argument can be made that it has actually hurt the homelessness cause, as it has clearly increased the negative feelings and perception towards them by many if not most Austinites.

likewise, it seems to have increased instances of conflict and confrontations b/t our homeless citizens and the general public, further damaging sympathetic feelings towards their plight.

overall, the danger for all seems to have increased with the prominent public camping (citizens being accosted, homeless camps being set fire, etc)

my conclusion is that removing the camping ban has been a net negative for ALL involved. 

i do not know the answer, but as a taxpayer i am more than willing to put money towards a solution to improve as much of their situation as possible. removing the camping ban clearly NOT part of that solution. if given the opportunity, i will vote accordingly. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i went downtown for the first time in a long time, and i honestly had no idea what has happened along the hike and bike trail. holy fuck. i mean, i'm always at manchaca/south first and ben white, so i knew about that, but i had no idea what was happening along town lake. 

they should just make the entire city a state park and start using those rules.

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

it does not appear that allowing the in-the-open-camping-anywhere has benefited anyone.

i have seen no evidence or even stories showing that removing the camping ban has improved delivery, quality or quantity of services for the homeless. 

in fact, a strong argument can be made that it has actually hurt the homelessness cause, as it has clearly increased the negative feelings and perception towards them by many if not most Austinites.

likewise, it seems to have increased instances of conflict and confrontations b/t our homeless citizens and the general public, further damaging sympathetic feelings towards their plight.

overall, the danger for all seems to have increased with the prominent public camping (citizens being accosted, homeless camps being set fire, etc)

my conclusion is that removing the camping ban has been a net negative for ALL involved. 

i do not know the answer, but as a taxpayer i am more than willing to put money towards a solution to improve as much of their situation as possible. removing the camping ban clearly NOT part of that solution. if given the opportunity, i will vote accordingly. 

I agree.  this was ALL foreseeable when they did it but our city council and mayor are a pack of idiots.  the sad thing is they aren't dumber than our populace who keep voting them in to grift off of our tax money and can't foresee simple shit like this.

I can't wait for the "OMG really? thats nuts!" moments on the "actual" cost of prop A.

• Like 1

Its getting beyond out of hand in the 290/cameron/airport area.

Went to the sonic there and this obvious crack head  walks up knocking on car windows demanding money. I had the dog with me so he backed away from us but other people he would just stare in their window like a maniac. 

Then another guy scooting ina wheel chair with his feet went around knocking on windows. 

Every parking lot of every establishment in the area will have at least two or three bums aggressively begging.

Edited by MissingInAction

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Went to the sonic there and this obvious crack head  walks up knocking on car windows demanding money. I had the dog with me so he backed away from us but other people he would just stare in their window like a maniac. 

Then another guy scooting ina wheel chair with his feet went around knocking on windows. 

Every parking lot of every establishment in the area will have at least two or three bums aggressively begging.

Yeah it’s one thing having them at intersections, not aggressive, but when they target business patrons like I’ve seen in some areas, that’s a recipe for disaster, like what happened downtown with the stabbings.  

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

As a tax payer you already are. Over 150 million over the last two years with ZERO progress, only decline. 

they estimate 3,000 homeless. That’s $50k a person. 

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

As a tax payer you already are. Over 150 million over the last two years with ZERO progress, only decline. 

the whole thing is insanity. the edict, the money, the hotel grift, the process, all of it....ridiculous.  and all foreseeable if they didn't have minds of  5 year olds.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah it’s one thing having them at intersections, not aggressive, but when they target business patrons like I’ve seen in some areas, that’s a recipe for disaster, like what happened downtown with the stabbings.  

The crack head was a pretty big guy and wandering up and down the street looking in cars, knocking on windows. He is definitely going to cause trouble sooner than later.

I’ve lived in the Austin metro area since 2002, and generally a pretty reasonable dude with a lot of compassion and want to see some of my tax money go to common sense social programs.  The homeless are people too, meaning they probably cross a wide spectrum from down-on-their-luck to hopeless mentally ill drug addicts...so I’m loathe to lump them all into ‘burn the camps, bus them out, arrest them’ that some do.  

That being said holy fuck is it way, way worse even in the past few years.  I live in Cedar Park so am sheltered from it mostly, but everytime we’ve ventured or stayed downtown it’s sometimes unrecognizable and creeping North over time...even Parmer/Avery gets beggars now, Cesar Chavez is one continual camp, and we’ve had the same ‘banging on your windows scaring my wife’ at stop lights at places like the shit Wendy’s off 6th.  

I feel for a lot of these people, I really do and am trying to teach my kids that as well...but eliminating the camping ban has been a huge mistake.  These people will go where they can and the system ‘we’ setup is just making it worse. 

I wonder how Nashville handles it, was there last November and I recall only a dozen homeless people over 4 days.  Pretty sure they didn’t eliminate homeless just made it such a hard existence that they went elsewhere, but it was a stark difference landing back in Austin.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

This area really bothers me because I grew up there. 

I wonder how Nashville handles it, was there last November and I recall only a dozen homeless people over 4 days.  Pretty sure they didn’t eliminate homeless just made it such a hard existence that they went elsewhere, but it was a stark difference landing back in Austin.  

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/pith-in-the-wind/article/21106606/nashville-moves-toward-decriminalizing-homelessness

52 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’ve lived in the Austin metro area since 2002, and generally a pretty reasonable dude with a lot of compassion and want to see some of my tax money go to common sense social programs.  The homeless are people too, meaning they probably cross a wide spectrum from down-on-their-luck to hopeless mentally ill drug addicts...so I’m loathe to lump them all into ‘burn the camps, bus them out, arrest them’ that some do.  

That being said holy fuck is it way, way worse even in the past few years.  I live in Cedar Park so am sheltered from it mostly, but everytime we’ve ventured or stayed downtown it’s sometimes unrecognizable and creeping North over time...even Parmer/Avery gets beggars now, Cesar Chavez is one continual camp, and we’ve had the same ‘banging on your windows scaring my wife’ at stop lights at places like the shit Wendy’s off 6th.  

I feel for a lot of these people, I really do and am trying to teach my kids that as well...but eliminating the camping ban has been a huge mistake.  These people will go where they can and the system ‘we’ setup is just making it worse. 

we can't have this...apparently.

56 minutes ago, Homercles said:

It was a stark difference for the Nashville homeless when they arrived in Austin, too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’ve been in this town my entire life so very little surprises me when it comes to the usual Austin politics, but Adler and the council’s abject refusal to move off the homeless issue is the most surprising and frustrating aspect of local politics I can recall here. 

It’s getting worse by every.single.metric.  And at an alarmingly fast pace too.  

Yet nary a word about it from any of the usual suspects.  

It’s sick.  

Edited by Chet Steadman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, dcar00 said:

15 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Correct. And it’s obvious Austin has become a destination city for those who can’t and/or won’t take steps to take care of themselves, so whatever you build, you will need more. Other cities and towns take control of their situation to make sure they don’t unfairly become the answer for every homeless person. 

I was just spitballing on the numbers, but I wasn't that far off. Official count as of Jan 1 was 2506 homeless in Austin, so I was 500 off. Not sure you're going to have literally a bed for every single person, and I know more are moving here every day. So fine, make it 125 - 150 small shelters interspersed in communities throughout the city, assuming some will still choose to camp outside at designated camping areas. Continue to build small shelters in the community until the population somewhat stabilizes because we're no longer encouraging the homeless to move to Austin (and yes, I know places like Abeline will continue to provide their homeless one-way bus tickets to Austin.)

If we take away places in the city to congregate, socialize, buy drugs, etc., I think homeless people from other places might be less inclined to move here, unless they are a homeless person seeking help and opportunity to turn their life around. Home owners will be more palatable to a small shelter of 20 people in their neighborhood than a mega shelter like the one downtown and like the one they proposed building off Ben White, but ultimately got nixed because, "who the fuck wants that in their neighborhood?!?!" 

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This is insanity. 

12 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

The crack head was a pretty big guy and wandering up and down the street looking in cars, knocking on windows. He is definitely going to cause trouble sooner than later.

He is going to get himself shot.

I disagree with multiple center scattered through the city. This does nothing but make each area feel better about themselves that “everyone” has to deal with it. 

San Antonio has a better model. Bring the services and charity to those who need it. Buy cheap cheap land near nothing (in Austin think near ABIA) and create one large camp. It’s a place for rehab and support, not easy access to drugs alcohol and panhandling. 

Force all churches and charities to stop giving food/ donations at their locations  and send those resources (combined with others) to that one camp. The goal is to get people on their feet and out of the situation for good. 

Offering a lake and skyline view with unlimited access to the city through public transportation, easy access to free cash, booze and drugs will get zero people off the streets. You are just making that style of living more attractive. 

It also helps our civil servants. Those that truly want help and counseling will embrace it. Those that don’t and continue to camp wherever will be dropped back at the camp. It’s that or leave town. Many will need help forced upon them. 

This removes the addict’s paradise reason to come to Austin, and if we get some more homeless because they actually want that help, that’s not a bad thing. Instead we try to create an addicts utopia and wonder why more money isn’t working. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

San Antonio has a better model. Bring the services and charity to those who need it. Buy cheap cheap land near nothing (in Austin think near ABIA) and create one large camp.

the perfect location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3073289,-97.5940086,15.25z

grift program already formulated:

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Anybody seen any Asian homeless folks around Austin?  In my unscientific observations, they appear to be underrepresented.  Are they being systemically excluded from "Austin's Homeless Strategy"  http://www.austintexas.gov/page/austins-homeless-strategy solely based upon race?  

there is 1.  vietnamese, he hangs out at kramer/lamar.  been there for a couple years at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Mehbeh. 

True story:

After the Battle of Attu in 1943, my Dad picked up a pair of  fur lined Japanese Army issued boots from the battlefield to replace his own GI boots.

Attempting to put one of the boots on, he discovered the remains of the original owner’s foot.

11 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

I’ve been in this town my entire life so very little surprises me when it comes to the usual Austin politics, but Adler and the council’s abject refusal to move off the homeless issue is the most surprising and frustrating aspect of local politics I can recall here. 

It surprises you that the current level of maniacal lunacy (that is our council) is not moving off the issue?   

Absolutely nothing this tribe does is going to surprise me.   Nor should it anyone else. 

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I was just spitballing on the numbers, but I wasn't that far off. Official count as of Jan 1 was 2506 homeless in Austin, so I was 500 off. Not sure you're going to have literally a bed for every single person, and I know more are moving here every day. So fine, make it 125 - 150 small shelters interspersed in communities throughout the city, assuming some will still choose to camp outside at designated camping areas. Continue to build small shelters in the community until the population somewhat stabilizes because we're no longer encouraging the homeless to move to Austin (and yes, I know places like Abeline will continue to provide their homeless one-way bus tickets to Austin.)

I understand you were spitballing.  I'm saying that 2000-2500 number isn't close to accurate.  I know people on here will say well that is the number and of course I'm not going to count them.  I don't believe it because it has been that number roughly for 5 years.  they are also saying that the 2000-2500 is "chronic" homeless.

there is a reason they don't want them to be all in one spot BTW.  The southeast austin area plan was a good one to efficiently deal with it but I think it was squashed.

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I understand you were spitballing.  I'm saying that 2000-2500 number isn't close to accurate.  I know people on here will say well that is the number and of course I'm not going to count them.  I don't believe it because it has been that number roughly for 5 years.  they are also saying that the 2000-2500 is "chronic" homeless.

there is a reason they don't want them to be all in one spot BTW.  The southeast austin area plan was a good one to efficiently deal with it but I think it was squashed.

Nevermind that it is in the interest of those who do the counting to inflate the number, muh feelings disagree with the data, therefore the data is wrong. I will now nod furiously while Todd Jeffries spits into his microphone. #stopthesteal

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Nevermind that it is in the interest of those who do the counting to inflate the number, muh feelings disagree with the data, therefore the data is wrong. I will now nod furiously while Todd Jeffries spits into his microphone. #stopthesteal

keep at it. the plan from your heroes is working.

14 hours ago, Homercles said:

Where were you in Nashville?

I'm in Nashville every other week and the homelessness is a very visible and constant eyesore and huge problem, even with the colder weather. 

A few blocks from my house, ground zero for homeless in souf Austin. I know they believe they’re helping, but Sunrise church was the lighting rod for that area becoming a shit show.

Pic from about 2 weeks ago in front of Whataburger at Ben White and Manacha, but doesn’t begin to capture the filth.

A few blocks from my house, ground zero for homeless in souf Austin. I know they believe they’re helping, but Sunrise church was the lighting rod for that area becoming a shit show.

Pic from about 2 weeks ago in front of Whataburger at Ben White and Manacha, but doesn’t begin to capture the filth.

0a567f8fbb4d001fdf8ff10fa7394829.jpg

• Rage+1 2

Drove past there taking the dog to the vet. Had not been in that part of Austin in a long time and was shocked. What also shocked me was a young (mid 20's) couple down on Town Lake setting up their tent. Both were in the latest hiking/camping clothes, had a pretty damn nice tent. Girlfriend commented they sure stand out. 

So if a visitor to Austin just wants to camp what would stop them? 

12 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Where were you in Nashville?

I'm in Nashville every other week and the homelessness is a very visible and constant eyesore and huge problem, even with the colder weather. 

Anyways @Homercles, I think you are not telling the truth or were in Franklin or Brentwood. The Gulch, both North and South sides, all of downtown, everywhere on Broadway from Riverfront all the way to Midtown, Music Row...all lousy with homelessness. It's a mini-Austin and it's horrible.

The only place the police seem to care about keeping them away is from the Parthenon and that's only during high traffic times.