Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

On 6/19/2019 at 7:04 PM, BurntEyes said:

For the record, white young homeless men cause me more concern than female or non-whites, so you're not the only racist and I'm also ageist.

So you are a racist (against whites) and an ageist.   Try and be better, but thanks for self identifying for all of us.

• Haha 1

Since we have been comparing hood stories; I live in the St Johns area of Austin.

Driving down Bennet my car was surrounded by fuckers throwing up gang signs so i hit the gas to gtfo. I now travel this fucking hood with a 38 under my balls and a shockwave loaded with 0/0

under the seat.

Crack heads, homeless fucks, and gang bullshit is everywhere here.

Chip O and the SGSUC aint got shit on me.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Since we have been comparing hood stories; I live in the St Johns area of Austin.

Driving down Bennet my car was surrounded by fuckers throwing up gang signs so i hit the gas to gtfo. I now travel this fucking hood with a 38 under my balls and a shockwave loaded with 0/0

under the seat.

Crack heads, homeless fucks, and gang bullshit is everywhere here.

Chip O and the SGSUC aint got shit on me.

Naw man, those were good kids being kids. City Council is going to make austin affordable, solve the homeless problem, and fix traffic!

Also:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statesman.com/news/20190620/city-council-approves-new-south-austin-homeless-shelter%3Ftemplate=ampart

Austin City Council members Thursday unanimously approved an $8.6 million purchase of property in South Austin for a new homeless shelter.

The shelter will be built inside an existing building just off Ben White Boulevard at Bannister Lane, between Manchaca Road and South First Street.

Edited by B00M

The Austin City Council early Friday morning rescinded city prohibitions on sitting or sleeping in public and panhandling — measures social advocates said wrongly criminalized homelessness — after hours of emotional testimony from passionate residents on both sides of the issue.

Critics of the previous rules said they were ineffective, cruel and only made it more difficult for people with citations to find jobs and housing. Supporters said the ordinances were a needed tool for law enforcement to combat aggressive behavior in areas with significant transience.

Council members generally agreed that the regulations needed to change. They split over a section making public camping illegal only if the person is causing a hazard, with Council Members Alison Alter, Kathie Tovo and Ann Kitchen asking to vote on it again in August. The other council members, however, wanted to move forward and final approval of the looser language passed 9-2, with Alter and Tovo opposed.

The other changes, including lifting bans on sitting on sidewalks and panhandling, were approved unanimously. Council Member Greg Casar, one of the sponsors of changing the ordinances, added language after concerns raised earlier this month, making it clear that acting aggressively or threateningly is still illegal.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190621/austin-city-council-rescinds-measures-that-critics-say-criminalize-homelessness

City Council took a page from President Trump yesterday...

Citizens:  We are concerned about the proximity of this facility to three elementary schools and an unprotected railroad crossing.

Dais:  We have to do something about the homeless because you won't! 

Citizens:  We don't want the drugs and crime that followed the ARCH center to follow homeless people who live down here at the new facility.

Dais:  We have to do something about the homeless because you won't! 

Citizens:  The whole purchase happened too quickly, for too high a price, with no time for public input.

Citizens:  We are concerned that you have talked up there among yourselves for over an hour and only mentioned mental health treatment once and not mentioned drug treatment at all.  They are more inextricably linked with chronic homelessness than financial destitution or loss of dwelling.  

Dais:  We have to do something about the homeless because you won't!  By the way, this new facility is going to be fantastic.  Fantastic facility.  We've seen the renderings, and just fantastic.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Citizens:  We are concerned about the proximity of this facility to three elementary schools and an unprotected railroad crossing.

Citizens:  We don't want the drugs and crime that followed the ARCH center to follow homeless people who live down here at the new facility.

Citizens:  The whole purchase happened too quickly, for too high a price, with no time for public input.

Citizens:  We are concerned that you have talked up there among yourselves for over an hour and only mentioned mental health treatment once and not mentioned drug treatment at all.  They are more inextricably linked with chronic homelessness than financial destitution or loss of dwelling.  

Dais:  We have to do something about the homeless because you won't!  By the way, this new facility is going to be fantastic.  Fantastic facility.  We've seen the renderings, and just fantastic.  

See post 301.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You pussy ass NIMBY /surly

The irony here is that Rs would have unanimously opposed the shelter. 

Until we create some gridlock on the city council, they will continue to butt fuck us and tell us it's good for us. 

Sorry for the cloakish post

First, $8.6 million for 100 beds.  100 beds.

Now this.   

Time to start stirring shit up in the elections, and get us some gridlock going.  

City Council is really fucking stupid, far more stupid than I suspected.  Whole lot of businesses are going to throw money at booting them out, and as things get worse, every person who has a bad encounter downtown and elsewhere is going to remember that come voting time.  

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Until we create some gridlock on the city council, they will continue to butt fuck us and tell us it's good for us. 

This.  

And the City Council knows this is going to drastically increase the amount of negative encounters people have with the homeless, and it’s going to turn people who were maybe feeling compassionate, or at least on the fence, firmly  against the homeless.

Maybe they think by making things worse for everybody involved, that they can swing a lot of us around to supporting major initiatives for the homeless, but pissing away $8.6 million, creating more problems for those folks down there near the Ben White fiasco, and then pushing this through  is going to make everything far worse.  

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

It's going to be full on  homeless Thunderdome, now. 

My wife follows a bunch of those “things to do with your kids in Austin/512” groups on facebook, and the soccer moms are starting to freak out.    The kids events at the Central Library are normally jam-packed.  Won’t be too crowded going forward.   

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Time to start stirring shit up in the elections, and get us some gridlock going.  

City Council is really fucking stupid, far more stupid than I suspected.  Whole lot of businesses are going to throw money at booting them out, and as things get worse, every person who has a bad encounter downtown and elsewhere is going to remember that come voting time.  

FlimsyInfiniteFinwhale-max-1mb.gif

• Like 4

There is no way for our current city council or any one that would be elected in the future to come up with a reasonable position on homelessness. We love electing loons even if it will clearly worsen our quality of life. Remember the whole Uber thing? Guess who is still running this city...

The best hope is for an outside organization to come up with a reasonable plan, gain public support for that plan, then have the city adopt and fund it. Quality ideas are never going to be generated by the city.

• Like 1

If I was living in a household full of females,  I'd think about this for a man cave.  Especially if the females were in the  pre teen/ teenage stage and the wife was menopausal.  Perfect hiding place to escape the drama from all of them.    LOL

Taking a screen capture of this now because that will be my life in 10 years. Fuck my life.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

so does this allow for camping on sidewalks in say.....Tarrytown, Clarksville and 70704?

And if so, can we get a go fund me for homeless tents? 

Only way to get a change in leadership is to put it in there neighborhoods.  Those nice wide lanes have plenty of room for tent accommodation.

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

First, $8.6 million for 100 beds.  100 beds.

Now this.   

No they won’t, and probably every one of those worthless  council nutcases will be reelected.

Shirley we could whip up some crackpot to go write some political screed then crash his Cessna into the to-be homeless building within the next week or so?  Problem solved for that round, I mean it's not out of the realm of possibility...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

so does this allow for camping on sidewalks in say.....Tarrytown, Clarksville and 70704?

Only way to get a change in leadership is to put it in there neighborhoods.  Those nice wide lanes have plenty of room for tent accommodation.

Lots of nice shade over on Niles Road. Perfect for camping. 🙂

42 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Windsor between mopac and exposition has a nice wide center section that would be perfect for camping 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

You may have better luck promoting camping in Ramsey Park, close to Martin Middle School, the median of Barton Springs Road, and in front of City Hall.  There are no city council members in Tarrytown or Clarksville.

23 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

You may have better luck promoting camping in Ramsey Park, close to Martin Middle School, the median of Barton Springs Road, and in front of City Hall.  There are no city council members in Tarrytown or Clarksville.

But I’d wager some of their sugardaddys are.

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

If you don't own a truck, you can rent one from Uhaul or ask a friend.

Might take multiple trips to move em all, so stock up on tarps, beer and sleeping bags in advance.

I'm sure the hay ride trailer from the Christmas light tour is probably available in Waco.   That baby will hold a ton of homeless..... pop in some tunes, put the Mad Dog on ice and lets get our roll on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Gonna be fun when that can't move them off the lawn at Zilker to prepare for ACL.

In the law of unintended consequences, and it was brought to the attention of the council by multiple parties, some/many attendees of ACL, SXSW, ROT, etc. will also now be camping.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Businesses are pissed.  

Soccer moms, many of whom are already terrified of the homeless, do show up and vote.  

Almost everyone who is elected once will be reelected if they run again.  I think they are limited to two terms.  Conservatives fair poorly...

The 2014 election resulted in 11 new council members.  Since then every seat has been up again.

In 2016, five seats were up.  Don Zimmerman and Sheri Gallo lost, and 3 of 5 were reelected.  Gallo actually won the initial election but lost in a runoff.  Don is the only person to run again and lose in the initial election.  In 2018, five seats were up plus the mayor.  Ora Houston and Ellen Troxclair did not run again.  Incumbents won the other four seats, including an unopposed Ann Kitchen.

In the 11 elections held so far after the initial 10-1 council election, incumbents have 7 wins (one unopposed), 2 losses, and 2 did not run again.  So if you have a freshly elected council rep and they are not conservative, get used to them ... they are not likely to lose a reelection bid.

• Like 1

My sister-in-law and her bf can now car-camp just about anywhere on public streets as long as they obey the street signs and aren’t a traffic hazard.  Not only that, but Adler directed the City Manager to look into areas for “safe” tent- and car-camping..   

She knew about that aspect before I read it this afternoon.   Guess word travels fast among that part of society.  

FML, she will bug us.