Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

City council was so worried about our safety that they tried to push rideshare out of town, but homeless free-for-all is just fine.

Good point.  Two uber drivers out of 10,000 had criminal backgrounds.  But the taxi drivers and the thousands of homeless campers near elementary schools have a full myriad of criminal and felonious backgrounds.  Anybody ever stop to realize they could have gotten the old ACC tower at the Y for the same price, with much more space and none of the proximity issues to children?  

Just now, RollLeft said:

I'll pitch in for a one-way charter to round up the homeless.  Free breakfast and lunch and $20 for those who board right now to Portland.  Who's in?

Make it Waco, and I'm in. Notify the Waco authorities that a biker gang is heading into town by bus for a rally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Somebody gets wise, they'll develop an app that fingerprints homeless folks off the Ben White assistance corridor, and signs them up as Uber drivers.  Then suddenly Ann Kitchen will give two shits.  I can't believe she's been called the "next frontrunner for Mayor"  

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Taking a screen capture of this now because that will be my life in 10 years. Fuck my life.

LOL!   Let me tell ya.   I have three kids with two of them being boys (18 and 21) and out of the house at college.   The other is a 13 year old girl and my wife is in the menopausal stage right now.  Soooooo, it can be interesting at times with just one girl thinking she knows everything and the wife who now has mood swings that change on the drop of a dime at times.   I'm glad we adopted a seven year old Lab that I can take on walks or out to the front yard .  It makes it so much easier make an excuse to get away from those two  when their moods collide.

Good luck when the time comes.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d like to organize the homeless to camp in front of each council member’s home. Hell, I’ll roll by and throw them a few bucks a day for their participation. Maybe drop off some beers too.

Someone will eventually get smart and do this for real.  Take this shit to their neighborhoods.

15 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Were I still living there, I'd find the addresses of all who voted for it.

I'd then head to Ben White and Lamar with 6 cases of beer and some cheap Walmart sleeping bags.

I'd invite the homeless to roll in my truck bed with the promise of free beer upon arrival then let them pile into my truck bed.

I'd drop them off in he front yard of those city council members.

I'd promise and deliver another case of beer every day they remained.

Seriously. 

Edit - I'm inclined to encourage a go fund me effort and social meet up group to pay for and organize this effort. 

Make it happen Surly assholes. The gauntlet is thrown you social justice warriors you.

Doit.jpeg

You wouldn't do any of that.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

You're going to need a well-toned upper body.

Or a shirt.

The rickshaw guys in Hong Kong 60 years ago were all skinny dudes who just wore shorts & tennis shoes. The more prosperous ones could afford a t-shirt. And they all smoked non-filtered cigarettes. They ran a steady pace on the few open stretches and could dart in & out of the vehicular traffic with ease.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

Maybe the homeless go to Antonio Buehler's neighborhood. That hypocrite lives in an area of Bee Caves far away from the homeless and "people of color" he claims to stand up for. Hes right in the belly of the beast of these awful, privileged white people he claims are so terrible.

Edited by Wyatt Mann
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Were I still living there, I'd find the addresses of all who voted for it.

I'd then head to Ben White and Lamar with 6 cases of beer and some cheap Walmart sleeping bags.

I'd invite the homeless to roll in my truck bed with the promise of free beer upon arrival then let them pile into my truck bed.

I'd drop them off in he front yard of those city council members.

I'd promise and deliver another case of beer every day they remained.

Seriously. 

Edit - I'm inclined to encourage a go fund me effort and social meet up group to pay for and organize this effort. 

Make it happen Surly assholes. The gauntlet is thrown you social justice warriors you.

Doit.jpeg

20 hours ago, blacklab said:

Ha burnteyes I was thinking something similar. Buy some tents and some mad dog 20/20 and move some people around. 

I will pay for the beer if someone does the transportation. Fuck Ann Kitchens 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

so can they legally set up camps in zilker now?  just out there on the great lawn?  serious question.  

I think this allows them to camp anywhere, as long as it's not some sort of hazardous sutuation.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:40 PM, drt said:

So I was talking to an architect buddy this morning.  Apparently he went to some seminar on affordable housing or some such recently and heard some stats from whatever body was doing the presentation.  2000ish chronically homeless in Austin, another 7-9000 temp homeless out on the streets on any given night was the number thrown around.  For each one COA spends $220,000/year on police, ems, outreach, etc.

so, conservatively, about $400MM per year on the austin homeless?  gonna assume your buddy’s figures were slightly off.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:19 PM, David Dennison said:

If you don't trust the city, who do you want to handle it?

vigilantes, obviously.  do try and keep up. 

Just now, Deej said:

I think this allows them to camp anywhere, as long as it's not some sort of hazardous sutuation.

define hazardous.  “I’m just sitting here, trying to live.”  if zilker turns into a tent city surely things would change. 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

define hazardous.  “I’m just sitting here, trying to live.”  if zilker turns into a tent city surely things would change. 

They should totally do it during ACL Fest. Then they can be rounded up and herded to wherever it is they get PB&J'd.

Just now, David Dennison said:

They should totally do it during ACL Fest. Then they can be rounded up and herded to wherever it is they get PB&J'd.

I know you don’t support a zilker tent city.  your humanitarian nature can only go so far.

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

One of the stories had this part:

Camping on private property or in city parks is still not allowed, but those who are camping in public spaces will not be subject to police enforcement.

The City Council is acting like a bunch of dumbasses, but they know if they allowed the homeless to setup shop in Zilker, Mueller, Mayfield, Pease, etc., it would ensure that a bunch of new council members  would be coming in with a mandate to clean the homeless out.  

45 minutes ago, futureman said:

so can they legally set up camps in zilker now?  just out there on the great lawn?  serious question.  

It's a little confusing, here is the ordinance before it went to the council, I'm not sure if any text was changed in the meeting.

The changes only apply to areas that are NOT designated by the City of Austin as camping areas but ARE considered public areas.  It relates to camping in non-camping areas.

Parks (aka Zilker Park) are considered public areas.  "Public area" means any outdoor area to which the public has access, but  streets, highways, parks, parking lots, alleys, pedestrian ways, or common areas of schools, hospitals, apartments, office buildings, transport facilities or shops are specifically called out as "public areas".

Under the old rules, you could not camp in a public area that was not a camping area at all.  Under the new rules, a person can't camp in a public area if they are are "materially endangering the health or safety of another person or of themselves" or are "intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly rendering impassable or impeding the reasonable use of a public area making usage of such area unreasonably inconvenient or hazardous."  If you are not doing one of those two things, you can camp.

Also, you must be notified of your violating by a police officer in writing before you are in violation, unless there is some immediate danger to someone's health or safety.  No police officer present to write a notice, no violation...

Now, both of those clauses are kinda up for interpretation.

So, yep you can probably camp in Zilker so long as you stay within the bounds of those two clauses.  Or, pick your favorite school or office building and go for it.  Has to be outdoors, so you can camp outside the library but not in the stacks.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Man, screw getting a hotel, I'm just gonna pitch a tent somewhere whenever I visit Austin.  (In the camping sense, not the boner sense)

Law of unintended consequences.

Maybe this will help take with the City Council's little war on short-term rentals.

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

It's a little confusing, here is the ordinance before it went to the council, I'm not sure if any text was changed in the meeting.

The changes only apply to areas that are NOT designated by the City of Austin as camping areas but ARE considered public areas.  It relates to camping in non-camping areas.

Parks (aka Zilker Park) are considered public areas.  "Public area" means any outdoor area to which the public has access, but  streets, highways, parks, parking lots, alleys, pedestrian ways, or common areas of schools, hospitals, apartments, office buildings, transport facilities or shops are specifically called out as "public areas".

The neighborhood parks we frequent have posted curfews (unless there is a special event going on).  We frequent Ramsey and Pease, and I don't see them allowing the homeless to move in and camp.  Not that the City Council isn't capable of being that fucking stupid, because they are.

For a while, for a few years, there would be one or two homeless guys show up on bikes with trailers in the mornings, and they would setup shop there at Ramsey in the little roofed pavilion where the bathrooms are, and spread all of their stuff out, cook (electrical outlets are there), sleep, do internet stuff (unsecured wifi nearby) etc., but they were usually out of there before the evening.  I have a feeling, given the amount of parents with little kids in that area, and those being the only bathrooms, that the cops would run them off.  

I just don't see them letting those guys take over the parks.

There's plenty of van-campers, and that's been a growing thing over the past several years (go hitup YouTube), but they don't bother people, and actually try to remain as inconspicuous as possible.  The vents on the top of their SUVs, Honda Elements, vans (mini- and commercial), and sprinters (some starting at $60,000), give them away, as do the blackout curtains.  But they aren't a problem.

Friend who has a condo downtown likes his conspiracy theories when it comes to the City Council.

He thinks they wanted to ramp up the public's interaction with the homeless, in order for the City Council to come along in a year or two and say "okay, this isn't working, the homeless problem is now worse, so we are gonna need to spend a shitload more money in order to fix it!"

Anybody wants to watch the show, there were some real crazies.

http://austintx.swagit.com/play/06202019-642/0/

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Friend who has a condo downtown likes his conspiracy theories when it comes to the City Council.

He thinks they wanted to ramp up the public's interaction with the homeless, in order for the City Council to come along in a year or two and say "okay, this isn't working, the homeless problem is now worse, so we are gonna need to spend a shitload more money in order to fix it!"

Anybody wants to watch the show, there were some real crazies.

http://austintx.swagit.com/play/06202019-642/0/

Maybe it’s a little tinfoil hat but I kinda thought the same.  At least I wouldn’t put it past them. Allow the homeless to invade suburbia and become a nuisance in regular people’s everyday life and hope that people will be throwing money at them to make it go away. 

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Maybe it’s a little tinfoil hat but I kinda thought the same.  At least I wouldn’t put it past them. Allow the homeless to invade suburbia and become a nuisance in regular people’s everyday life and hope that people will be throwing money at them to make it go away. 

I could actually buy it with this City Council - them hearing bitching from both sides, and just throwing their hands up and saying "fuck it, let's make the situation worse, then we'll get more money/support/whatever."  Not all members, but maybe enough to swing things.

The only problem is that they are running a real risk of things going horribly wrong, and turning the general public against the homeless.

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The only problem is that they are running a real risk of things going horribly wrong, and turning the general public against the homeless.

Then what happens? Seriously asking because I don't think it will make any difference.

Is the general public not already against the homeless? Or do we only oppose it when it's in our backyard?

I heard some cedar park council member campaign commercials a few months back. "Vote for me, that person wants a homeless shelter in cedar park!"

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Then what happens? Seriously asking because I don't think it will make any difference.

Is the general public not already against the homeless? Or do we only oppose it when it's in our backyard?

I heard some cedar park council member campaign commercials a few months back. "Vote for me, that person wants a homeless shelter in cedar park!"

You will get people elected to the City Council/Mayor who promise jails, not homeless shelters, who promise strict laws and cleaning up the sidewalks and streets.  

We are more tolerant than a lot of other cities in Texas.  That tolerance will go away fast.