Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

15 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, right.

My bad.

Have we decided on a workable option for the women and children bums? Where can we hide them so we don't have to look at them?

Salvation Army for the homeless families, expanded with taxpayer help - but near schools..... even here in Wilco.

Single adult male bums.... give them job training and/or manual labor cleaning of the streets & public spaces. House them in surplus FEMA trailer camps on the eastern edge of town by bus lines (free ride into the work distribution each day). No work, then GTFO of Austin or they will be put in an Arpaio work camp. Ban panhandling..... and let the feds try to enforce it.

The mentally ill? Separate issue. 

• Like 3

What's wrong with buying these people bus tickets and sending them to Portland, Seattle, or San Francisco? Might be cheaper than trying to fix the crisis in house and those cities actually want the homeless there. There's a lot of people vocal about the homeless problem in those cities but they continue to get outvoted in city and state elections. Really telling.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

What's wrong with buying these people bus tickets and sending them to Portland, Seattle, or San Francisco? Might be cheaper than trying to fix the crisis in house and those cities actually want the homeless there. There's a lot of people vocal about the homeless problem in those cities but they continue to get outvoted in city and state elections. Really telling.

Austin has dreamed of being those exact cities.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We pay some guy to lead all of the rats out of the city with his flute. Then we don't pay him, dress the homeless as children, and as revenge he'll come back lead all the "children" out of town.

That is as solid of an idea as anything this council will ever propose.

Well, no because the City only hits people who don't receive city services with retroactive property taxes.  These guys get an ambulance 30 seconds after calling one.  

District 5 residents: "Councilwoman Kitchen, I see that three members of the Dais have professional experience in Real Estate.  Perhaps you know that when moving on a commercial property that requires a massive cap-ex to repurpose it,  and are offering to bid/close at lightning speed (by government standards anyway), that you should be trying to underbid or least get somewhere near FMV, not pay 2.5-3.0x over appraised value.  Sorta the second rule of real estate, after location (which seems to be a lesson that has long since passed you by)...is if you're gonna come in low, be prepared to close quickly.  If you are gonna close quickly, you don't also agree to overpay to an egregious amount over market.  You fucking corrupt child.

Ann Kitchen:  "Hold my beer."  

/csb in Houston, only related to this thread because it's about homeless assholes. (Not all homeless are assholes, so zip it, bleeding hearts).

Anyway, I was pulling up to an intersection and two bums were screaming at each other in the median. Right in each other's faces through a couple of green light cycles, forgetting even to hold up the "Broke and hungry veteran, anything helps, God bless" sign as they jawed at each other. I thought it was about to go all Worldstar Bum Fight, but at last one of them turned away in disgust, stormed away a few steps, and then grabbed ahold of his walker and pushed it angrily back to the highway overpass where a bunch of them had their base. He didn't even bother to pretend to hobble in that walker as I guess his shift hadn't started yet...Which was probably what the argument was about. 

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, I guess it qualifies as public space.  Ben White and South Congress.   

To this picture, you can add an ice chest w/ beer, as I observed yesterday.

Good stuff. 

3d25b8cc-5213-42c1-9e3b-bd383083cca0.jpg

Only 3 stars on yelp. Pass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Only 3 stars on yelp. Pass. 

Yeah, but look at the line to get into their parking-lot to get some of that BBQ.  It's Franklin-esque.  

Sure Gov. Another local prerogative to usurp.

I was here when Austin put the camping ban in place. It didn’t do anything. Taking it away won’t do anything either, because whether or not you ban homelessness, they are still homeless. At least without the ban you don’t deprive the able homeless from the opportunity of future housing and employment.

51 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I was here when Austin put the camping ban in place. It didn’t do anything. Taking it away won’t do anything either, because whether or not you ban homelessness, they are still homeless. At least without the ban you don’t deprive the able homeless from the opportunity of future housing and employment.

yeah. these people are homeless. that means "they have no homes." they have got to sit/sleep/eat/drink/shoot up somewhere.

i'm on record as getting irritated with the number of campers under bridges, but the situation is more complex than abbot is representing. 

but he's just doing statewide texas gop things, and that is primarily motivated by sticking it to austin. while i appreciated the rideshare slapdown, i recognized it as overreach. same with the ban on bag bans. wtf. fix things that need fixing you fucking idiots. all they want to do is override those austin liberals. 

One thing for sure, the homeowners & residents in those areas affected are super pissed off with the City Council. They are sick & tired of years of bum camps infesting their neighborhoods. These are the blue collar folks complaining.

That Sunrise “church” appears to be a scam, as supposedly some of the clientele are signing over SS checks to the pastor so they can hang out there. Don’t know firsthand if that is true or not, but it might bear some inquiry or an investigation by the news media.

16 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah. these people are homeless. that means "they have no homes." they have got to sit/sleep/eat/drink/shoot up somewhere.

So why not arrest them for felony possession and save these people from addiction? We spend ~$220k/yr on each of them to enable them to slowly kill themselves on the street (& commit crime to support their addiction) right? 

• Like 1

Black guy in a car properly titled to him, doing nothing wrong, with a rear break lamp 1watt slightly dimmer than usual?  Arrest and jail for one year because of 1/4oz. of low-grade weed for personal use.  

Homeless guy out and about, camping and panhandling and violating people's personal space.  Holding 1/4 oz. low-grade weed for personal use.  Release because Ann feels it's the right thing to do.  

We'll get to the finances of this bullshit soon enough, not that it'll change anyone's mind.  

One thing for sure, the homeowners & residents in those areas affected are super pissed off with the City Council. They are sick & tired of years of bum camps infesting their neighborhoods. These are the blue collar folks complaining.

those people should know better than anybody how badly the camping ban failed.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

what's the solution then in your mind?  and until that solution is achieved you're ok with letting them set up wherever without consequence?

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm on record as getting irritated with the number of campers under bridges, but the situation is more complex than abbot is representing. 

but he's just doing statewide texas gop things, and that is primarily motivated by sticking it to austin. while i appreciated the rideshare slapdown, i recognized it as overreach. same with the ban on bag bans. wtf. fix things that need fixing you fucking idiots. all they want to do is override those austin liberals. 

there's a pretty large portion of the population that thinks this is one of those things that needed fixing.  

• Like 1

fuck adler and the city council for making me wish that abbott will do as he says.  fuck this whole ordeal.  

someone post the addresses of adler and the city council members.  we'll start a campaign to start camps in their yards.  i know that casar cunt lives on a dead end street.  perfect place for the homeless to set up camp.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

fuck adler and the city council for making me wish that abbott will do as he says.  fuck this whole ordeal.  

someone post the addresses of adler and the city council members.  we'll start a campaign to start camps in their yards.  i know that casar cunt lives on a dead end street.  perfect place for the homeless to set up camp.

I've got an idea that could help your campaign.

If you get the addresses of the city council members, you get some money together and make a few purchases (tons of beer, some skunk weed, tents, sleeping bags, and such) and then drop them in areas right near the council members homes.  Take pictures of the huge haul of homeless treasures, then make some treasure hunting maps for the homeless to Walking Dead their way to the areas to retrieve the treasure.   The migration of transients in search of treasure through the neighborhoods of the council members, and the immediate encampment of those who win the search, will horrify them.   

Homeless Too:  Encampment Boogaloo.   

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

http://www.traviscad.org

Edited by David Dennison

there's a pretty large portion of the population that thinks this is one of those things that needed fixing.  

lol, no they don’t. If they did they would support solutions rather than pour out in droves to testify against shelters. 

Some of it isn’t solvable at the local level, because you would need to make mental healthcare available to indigent people outside the criminal justice system.

But for the long term homeless population (which is who we are talking about) you need more projects like Community First. The main problem there is a lack of support for appropriate zoning inside the city limits. That’s why there’s only one Community First- any property available for stable housing for this population in high opportunity areas inside the city limits would (and has) faced intractable, furious opposition, which is ironic, because many of those people erecting barricades to housing also support the totally ineffective camping ban.

Here’s the main lesson I learned when my mother was a mentally ill homesless person in Austin: there are a many priests, even more Levites, and even a few Good Samaritans, and a vast majority who like the Jericho road just fine the way it is.

29 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

If some stinky piece of underpass fuck comes at me hard is it ok if my dog bites the ever living shit out of him while I've got her on a leash? Shit I thought she was gonna go through my car window when this fucktard started knocking on it asking for change. 

Calm down and take pitty on aggy grads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

If some stinky piece of underpass fuck comes at me hard is it ok if my dog bites the ever living shit out of him while I've got her on a leash? Shit I thought she was gonna go through my car window when this fucktard started knocking on it asking for change. 

Just push down on that button that controls the window. Enough that the dog can get his muzzle through.