Google Stadia

Viper

Launches this Nov.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/06/06/stadia-launch-pricing-details/

They've just released the details. It will be free for games you buy and also offer a $9.99 per month subscription option that will allow 4k and 60fps.

Here's a list of games

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/06/06/here-are-all-of-the-games-on-stadia/

At launch, these are the games that Google says will be a part of Stadia:

• Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Borderlands 3
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Destiny 2
  • DOOM
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
  • Farming Simulator 19
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Football Manager
  • Get Packed
  • GRID
  • GYLT
  • Just Dance 2020
  • Metro Exodus
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • NBA 2K
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
  • Rage 2
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • The Crew 2
  • The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Thumper
  • Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint
  • Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
  • Trials Rising
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood

https://store.google.com/product/stadia_founders_edition

I am not a fan of a streaming service for my games, but I will be interested to see how this plays out. I also cannot see them competing with the established players (XBOX/PS) but maybe they will find a way to exist.

Pre-ordered my setup.  This is the next wave, and has the potential to kill consoles.  I have been waiting for technology to catch up with this concept.

I am very curious about how the offsite processing will affect latency and thus, the playability of certain games.  Love the concept though!

Pre-ordered my setup.  This is the next wave, and has the potential to kill consoles.  I have been waiting for technology to catch up with this concept.
I am very curious about how the offsite processing will affect latency and thus, the playability of certain games.  Love the concept though!

I don’t think that it has a chance to put a dent into the console market, but we shall see. If they mess up the launch, with latency and queuing type issues, it will be over quickly. Not to mention, too many people do not have good enough internet, or large enough data caps, to make this overly viable.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another good example of how the cloud-based processing power can make a more seamless, immersive environment vs being limited to the power of a local machine / resources.  Hope Stadia delivers on the hype!

Edited by Izhmash
Corrections.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Google hosted an "ask me anything" on Reddit yesterday.  Found a summary for easy digestion that I thought folks might enjoy.

Spoiler

AMA Summary

renderTimingPixel.png

I'm trying to gather here all the questions that got a response from Andrey or Bery at the 13 November AMA :

Link to the AMA for reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/dvv3tv/hi_reddit_andrey_from_the_stadia_team_here_and_im/

1) Will we have all of these features available (stream connect / state share / Crowd play) when Stadia launches on the 19th?**

Features availability. Our approach to releasing features on Stadia is similar to how we run Google Search, YouTube and other Google services: gradual rollout and continuous improvement, based on your feedback. We always start with nailing the key user-journey and then proceed with releasing extra features. YouTube started with “watch video”. For Stadia it’s “Play the Game on your biggest screen”. New features will start popping as soon as one week after launch. I expect the first game with Stream Connect to launch by the end of the year. The games that support State Share and Crowd Play will be released next year. And of course there are many more cool new platform features on the roadmap. We’re aiming to release new stuff weekly after 11/19.

2) Pricing! Common sense tells that games recently launched titles will be US$60, but what about titles that have been out for a while, like Rise of the Tomb Raider or even Kine, that sells for US$20 at Nintendo store. Bottom line, can we expect pricing to be different according to the launch date of the title?Follow up question on pricing: Black Friday is one week after launch. Can we expect some game sales for it?

We believe in common sense too! You can safely assume, we’ll stay competitive with other stores.

3) Is there a plan for an specific date when the monthly game we get from Stadia Pro will arrive each month? First week ? Second week?

We haven’t announced the Pro game schedule yet, but will soon. But you should expect regular games. If you ask me, the lineup is pretty awesome and I don’t expect to run out of good stuff to play with as a Pro subscriber.

4) Are we going to have a Stadia Connect before Launch? If so, can you tell the date?

And no Stadia Connect before launch. I feel very much connected with you guys already ;)

5) To quell all the questions that we invariably get on a daily basis, can you give a straightforward timeline for when shipping will begin (and finish) for the Founders Edition, when we'll get our activation emails, and when the service will go live (time of day)?

BERI: You can check your estimated delivery date by logging into gStore and checking your Order History. You’ll get your activation email soon after your order ships. Stadia goes live at 9am PST on Nov 19, and your activation code will work immediately once you receive it. For reference, I ordered my Stadia Founder’s Edition in June and my delivery date says November 20-21.

ANDREY: I Let me add some color, since there are a lot of questions around this one. I know you can't wait. Neither can we! Here's what's gonna happen.

The first shipments will leave our warehouse on the 18th to make sure they arrive on the 19th.

We'll ship in the same order as we've received your pre-orders

The tricky bit: moving atoms is a bit more complicated and less predictable than moving bits. So the actual delivery date will depend on the mail truck, traffic lights, etc.

BUT here's the good part. Stadia IS NOT A BOX! You don't need our hardware to start playing, remember? Right after we ship your order (but not earlier than 9AM PST 11/19), we'll send you an email with the invite code. You can use it immediately to create your account and reserve your Stadia name in the Stadia app on Android or iOS. Just for clarity: the first day is a little special, if we ship your order on 11/18, you’ll receive the code on 11/19.

... BOOM! you can play immediately on your computer in the Chrome browser or on your Pixel phone. You can use mouse + keyboard or your existing HID-compliant controller. We'll start streaming bits while atoms are making their way to your house ) Admittedly, the best experience at launch is on TV (4K, HDR and all), but I'm enjoying Destiny 2 on my MacBook big-time.

Once your Stadia Founder’s Edition arrives, you will set up the Chromecast, using the Google Home app. And connect your controller to WiFi using Stadia app. And continue where you left off, but this time on your biggest baddest screen.

You know what? Here's a crazy idea. Let me personally deliver one. If you are in the Bay area and you are ok with me coming to your house at 9:00am on the 19th please DM me https://www.reddit.com/user/doronichev with your pre-order number, I'll pick one person based on order received and how close you are to my house and drop by on my way to work, bring your order and we can even play your first game together! WDYT?

6) If founders decide to change their name after the public release, will their new name have numbers appended to it, or will it always stay numberless?

BERI: As a Founder you’ll be able to change your name (so long as the name you’d like is still available) and it won’t have numbers appended to it. You’ll have to go through customer support to do so. I’m still waffling between “Beri” and my usual gamer handle.

7) Will there be a yearly subscription for Stadia Pro? Possibly with a discount?

ANDREY: We’re on the final countdown to launch, so I’m thinking days, hours and minutes at the moment :) But we hear you! We don’t have an annual offering yet, but we know it’s something a lot of you want, so we’re looking into adding it..

😎 How will family link integrate into stadia? Will you be able to share games with family members in order to play together? Or will I have to buy a separate copy of the game for each child?

ANDREY: Family Link is supported on Day 1 to provide parents the ability to manage their child’s experience on Stadia. As a parent you have controls in your Family link app on the phone and the Stadia parental dashboard.

Family Sharing is not supported on day 1, so you’ll have to buy games for your child’s account. But it’s a high priority feature, we’re planning to launch early next year.

9) Will we be able to earn achievements for games retroactively so that we don't have to restart our games to earn the achievements once the achievement patch is added? I'd hate to have completed Red Dead Redemption 2 story but then have to restart it just to unlock achievements.

ANDREY: You will start achieving right away! Because games will be recording your achievements on Stadia on day one! It’s just the platform UI for viewing your achievements and achievement notifications will launch shortly after launch. I know, it’s something you want. Just imagine the day the UI launches: you’ll get a bunch of achievements all at once! MEGA OVER ACHIEVEMENT! :)

10) When will Superhero John Justice be interviewing with Bill from StadiaCast? :)

BERI: I just checked with the superhero himself. We just set it up this morning, and are looking forward to chatting with Bill tomorrow! I’ll see if I can grab John to join us here today!

11) Also, will we be able to select stream quality? Seeing as to how I don’t own a 4K TV, no reason to stream for 4K

ANDREY: Yes of course! It is a simple step you choose within the Stadia mobile app. We leave it up to you to game how you want.

12) I would like to know what the minimum and maximum character length for a username is.

BERI: Stadia Names must be between 3 and 15 characters, so long as the characters are letters or numbers. Please don’t take “Beri” :)

ANDREY: Or “Andrey”!

13) Will current Chromecast ultra received the stadia firmware update on the 19th? Or will we need to use the one shipped to us?

ANDREY: On Day 1 you should use the Chromecast Ultra that came in your bundle. It has the latest firmware. We will be updating the existing CC Ultra’s over the air soon after launch. So you’ll be able to use your Stadia Controller to play on many TVs in your home. BTW, how many Chromecasts do you have?

14) When will iOS gaming will be supported? Early 2020, Mid 2020, Late 2020?

ANDREY: Oh man, I wish I knew. Truth of the matter is that we want Stadia to run on every screen eventually. Android and iOS and whatnot. We’re starting with Pixel this year. Hope to learn a bunch, make it great and start expanding to more devices next year.

15) How will display work with monitor that are not 1080p or 4k (ie ultra wide, 1440p, span across multiple)?

BERI: It depends on how you’ve set up your screen. Most screens that aren’t those aspect ratios will pillarbox or letterbox to fit into 1080p or 4k aspect ratios.

16) Will there be Discord Integration with Google Stadia?

ANDREY: Yes, you can access our official discord channel from the Discover tab in the Stadia app: https://discord.gg/stadia. Let’s chat!

17) 2 questions:

1. What is it like to work with Superhero JOHN JUSTICE? <echo fades>

2. Can you give us a rough figure of how many Founders packs you sold?

ANDREY: Working with a superhero involves a lot of shiny spandex. As far as how many Founder’s Editions we sold….we sold all of them . 😉

BERI: For real: we spend a weird amount of time running around in costumes and taking videos of it at odd hours of the day.

18) How is the Stadia team feeling leading up the the launch?

BERI: I use each of these emojis at least 10 times a day: 😂🤣😭🤔

ANDREY: It’s the fiiiinaaaal countdoooown!! Too-doo-doo-doo, to-do-dood-doo-doo...

19) The controller you have in the proof photo, is it functional? Is there eventually going to be a similarly sized functional controller I can purchase myself?

BERI: We’re going to be pressing and holding “A” starting on 11/19/19 at 9am PST.

ANDREY: I channel my inner Raiden and press ⬅️⬇️⬅️✖️

20) Will a phone have to be used every time you try to use stadia on the chromecast to cast stadia, or just for initial setup?

BERI: You will not need your phone every time you use Stadia. The phone is needed for initial setup and buying games. Once you’ve connected, to play games, you can just grab your controller and hit the Stadia button.

I do want to call out that casting from the app streamlines playing on the go. Instead of packing up my console when I want to play at my friend’s place, I can just bring my Stadia Controller and cast to my friend’s Chromecast Ultra from my phone. When I’m done, I can close my session and my account will be logged out.

Here’s a sneak peak video of how to cast:

https://streamable.com/ezcvr

EDIT: Since you all enjoyed the first sneak peak video, here’s another! Here’s how you launch games on Chromecast using only your controller:

https://streamable.com/riy9m

21) Hello, Will we be able to purchase games on Stadia with Google Play Store gift cards? Secondly, when can we expect iOS support in the same way Pixel devices are able to play Stadia?

BERI: Yep, you will be able to use Google Play gift cards and Google Play Credits for purchases you make through the Stadia app on Android.

22) What are the top priorities for Stadia post-launch? i personally am looking forward to local multiplayer and am wondering how feasible that would be. (Multiple streams and controller inputs going through one data connection)

BERI: Priorities! So many. Everyone on Team Stadia is chomping at the bit to get through launch, and we’re listening closely to feedback. Stadia Base and sleep are things I’m personally reaaallly excited about.

23) Hello Andrey. I just want a thing, only a little thing from you. Can u post an official pic from Stadia dashboard, with the option available for the quality streaming?

ANDREY: But of course! Lovingly designed and shared by our incredible design lead, Eric: obligatory team photo. Bunny Ears!

24) When playing on Chromecast, can someone else cast something on to it while your playing ending your game session?

ANDREY: Yes, this is how Chromecast works. If someone casts something while you’re playing, they’ll take over the screen. But the game will keep running on our server for the next 10 minutes. So you have enough time to fight it out with your loved ones and get back to it. Or… just grab your laptop or Pixel phone, go to your room and continue from where you left off. That’s what I do when my wife kicks me out from the living room to watch a show ;)

25) I would really want to know if the buddy pass will be given at launch or if we will have to wait some weeks to get it.

BERI: You’ll get your Buddy Pass about two weeks after you receive your bundle, barring some unknown unknowns popping up (never happens 😭).

26) What functions will the Google Assistant button have on the Stadia controller at launch? Will it be the same Assistant experience as on my phone?

ANDREY: We have many Assistant features that we’re planning to roll out gradually across different parts of Stadia in the upcoming weeks. On Day 1, you can ask your Google Home or your Assistant-enabled device to start a game on Stadia. It will turn on your TV and get you into the game! Soon after (I think it’s a few days, but I need to check) you'll be able to use the Assistant button on your controller to interact with the Assistant while on your Stadia Homescreen on Chromecast. Then more devices (PC, Pixel phones). Then support for the Assistant during gameplay, etc. It's easy to just slap on some voice features, but making Assistant truly helpful is a different thing. We want to get it right. So we’re taking the time here.

27) Is there any recommended hardware mounts that exist today that you would recommend to clip a Pixel 4XL to the controller?

ANDREY: Ok. Time to announce something new and cool…. Behold… THE CLAW!

We’ve designed a special accessory for Pixel and Stadia Controller! The official name is Claw and will be produced by our Made for Google partner PowerSupport. It will be sold exclusively through the Gstore and available for purchase in the coming weeks.

The original story is kinda funny. When we were first testing mobile gameplay on Pixel, we tried a few off-the-shelf clips. Most of them have the phone attached to the far side of the controller at 90-ish degree angle, which makes it unbalanced. It’s tiring to hold it like this for a long time. So John McDole, one of the engineers on the team, had a great idea: the phone should be centered and “floating” over the controller. Next day my 9yo son and I built a prototype by bending a metal wire coat hanger. Looked terrible, but worked great! John 3D printed a v2 which we used for testing a lot.

Finally, our partners did their magic to create the real production version, inspired by these ideas. It turned out awesome! If you have a Pixel, make sure you get one on GStore.

28) I was wondering what kinda of accessibility features Stadia is bringing at launch (and planned future)? What about Family share & settings? Parental Control? Will we see something like a YT kids library?

BERI: We’ve got a great team dedicated to creating the best experience possible for all of our users, including those who have accessibility needs. Accessibility is pretty game-specific, so the team is working with game developers to set standards for accessibility across all games on Stadia.

Edited by Izhmash
darkening the copy / paste fore easy reading

Got mine in yesterday and hooked it up. No issues during the setup sequence. Everything went smooth.

Unlocked Destiny 2 and the Samurai Warriors and tested both WiFi and Ethernet, and the gameplay was fast, responsive, and seamless. I am running on Google Fiber, so I expected that, but as we all know, sometimes expectations don't match the results. I was overly impressed though. I even ran through a couple of missions on D2 and it was running solid. I haven't tried on 4K yet, but I'll probably do that this weekend.

I think that this device can really have an impact across the world. Most MP games are going cross play and including Stadia in their platform, they have a good library of titles, you can plug it into your laptop or MacBook, play in the browser, and you can take this with you just about anywhere. The price point is also quite good and I believe it will do well, especially for lower-income families across the world. It's something to keep an eye on and watch how MS and Sony respond. 

• Like 1

@LonghornJudas Glad to know I'm not the only one in here...was starting to think I was just talking to myself.

Received my code on Wednesday, and Founders Edition on Friday.  I have played on my MacBook Air and across the Chromecast on our TV quite a bit.  Destiny2 has really pulled me in, and the gameplay is much better than I anticipated for an early launch of the product.  I have only played on WiFi (Time Warner 200mbs download), and even with my wife / kid streaming on their devices, no detrimental hiccups.  I say detrimental, because I have had some pixelation / lag issues where it seems like the stream wants to catch up or reset - happens about once every hour, and my suspicion is that it's on Time Warners end (it almost feels scheduled).

I went ahead and bought RDR2, and the oldest Tomb Raider (couldn't pass it up at $10).  I haven't been pulled into RDR2, as Destiny2 is taken my time.  I prefer the 60fps that Destiny2 is streaming at vs the 30fps for RDR2.  From what I'm reading, each game developer is allowed to determine what they will stream at....hoping that they up their game in the future!  Not a guarantee, but definitely something to watch for.

As a PSA - Stadia is supposed to have some additional sales on games this week, so keep an eye out for some more deals.  I'm looking forward to trying out BorderLands3.  As stated above by LJ, I'm stoked about what this means for the future.  Being able to simply move seamlessly between my TV and laptop (not a gaming machine) is incredible and helps with keeping the peace with the family.  My son has really enjoyed playing Destiny2 (when I can get him to the "killing phases" and out of the story).

Forgot to mention...it played just as easy with my Nintendo Switch Pro controller, before receiving my Stadia controller in the mail.  I actually prefer the Stadia controller, but that may just be the newness and me being a gear whore.  Anyhow, wanted to let folks know that the existing controllers you have should work just fine!  There is no need to actually buy the Stadia controller if you want to wait until Spring to play.

Played on 4K this weekend and the same result. No real issues for me. Smooth as silk. I know there are a lot of people out there that are having issues, though, and Google will have to respond, so it’s not a perfect product by any means, but I respect the technical efforts.

Yes, there is some predictive engineering in place, but most people don’t care or notice it. We use it in online games all the time, so I don’t know why there such a big stink about it.

it’ll never happen, but could you imagine if Stadia was an aggregate for all platforms? Start it up and you could buy and play any PS4, XB1, PC, Switch, or mobile game that you owned?

Played on 4K this weekend and the same result. No real issues for me. Smooth as silk. I know there are a lot of people out there that are having issues, though, and Google will have to respond, so it’s not a perfect product by any means, but I respect the technical efforts.
Yes, there is some predictive engineering in place, but most people don’t care or notice it. We use it in online games all the time, so I don’t know why there such a big stink about it.
it’ll never happen, but could you imagine if Stadia was an aggregate for all platforms? Start it up and you could buy and play any PS4, XB1, PC, Switch, or mobile game that you owned?

With Stadia, define owned?

On 11/26/2019 at 1:28 AM, Capn81 said:

With Stadia, PSN, Microsoft, iOS, Android, Switch, Steam, Origin, Ubi Store, Epic Store, iTunes, and any other digital download service, define owned?

FIFY. Things that I can purchase and play from now until the service ever shuts down. I’m fine with this. Some people aren’t, that’s why they buy physical copies. And that’s OK, too. 

It’s not shutting down tomorrow, and if it does shut down in the future, 99% of the games you played and had ZERO plans to go back and play anyway, will simply be gone. If Google’s history worries you, then don’t buy it. It’s really that simple.

• Haha 1

FIFY. Things that I can purchase and play from now until the service ever shuts down. I’m fine with this. Some people aren’t, that’s why they buy physical copies. And that’s OK, too. 
It’s not shutting down tomorrow, and if it does shut down in the future, 99% of the games you played and had ZERO plans to go back and play anyway, will simply be gone. If Google’s history worries you, then don’t buy it. It’s really that simple.

Thank you for explaining how digital services work. Google’s track record is poor at best, but I hope this works out for everyone using the system now. Interested to see how it turns out in the long run.

9 hours ago, Capn81 said:

Thank you for explaining how digital services work. Google’s track record is poor at best, but I hope this works out for everyone using the system now. Interested to see how it turns out in the long run.

You asked the question, Captain Obvious.  If your problem was with Google, why not just state that instead of pointing to the ownership concerns of digital games?  

Meanwhile...I'll be gaming on my macbook air screen in about 30 seconds.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Viper said:

It's a chromecast ultra so it will play 4k if you had the original or 2.0 versions. 

It's worth it if you want to play some newer computer/video games but don't have a great computer or ps5. 

how is it quality wise with games?

Edited by NoName

It's pretty decent, you can get 4k hdr and 5.1 surround if you pay the monthly sub (also comes with monthly free games ala playstation plus), but even for the free edition it's decent. It's why I said if you don't have a powerful computer it's not a bad deal. You can push out better graphics and framerates with a dedicated computer and expensive graphics card but this is easier if there's just a few games you want to play. I have Cyberpunk and Madden. It was actually one of the few stable options for playing Cyberpunk when it first came out. Madden plays fine, but unfortunately it's not cross platform.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 9 months later...

while Diakteniakia is 3D and runs on 3DFX, me and Jerry still think they stole there ideas from Ghouls and Ghosats. Daikitnatia may still sell many gaems too old poeple and dumb kids at Fry's, but I will not buy it becusase it si OBVIOUSE they copied "Ghouls and Ghoasts", which was also named "Daimakaimura", and its more than a coencidance. John Romeo has spent a lot of tiem maeking his gaem qualety product, and poeple at Daily Raider and Sugarchack forams are meane to maek fun of it becuase a littal bit of magic went into Daieketania. there will also be Dakitanita for Gameboy and N16 and N66 and Platstatian 2 and Turbografix 16 and Virtaboy and Dolphen becuase evarybody wants too enjoy teh feelgood sensatian of Diaktinatia. yuo get swords and sticks too hit spidars and skeltons too, but no Jewish magicians or fat dinnar fork pigs (THANK GOD!!!). Jerrys computar did not taek vary good pictares of Daikaitanania but that si okey, yuo can look somewhere else liek PlanatDakiatnia or something.

https://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/daik/

Edited by elfenix
  • Drool 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 6:34 PM, Viper said:

Got all my refunds today. Wonder if there's anyway to export my cyberpunk save, not that I have a system that can play it right now. 

Damn I'm getting ready to start this on PC, that would kind of stink to lose a save on such a specialized game like that. 

• 4 weeks later...