Unwritten rules - break up no hitter with bunt

Nice Guy Eddie

Minor league game.  Game is 3-0 in the 9th with a pitcher throwing a no-hitter.  Batter bunts for a base hit, which leads to an almost-brawl afterwards.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2839943-yankees-minor-leaguer-matt-lipka-gets-death-threats-after-bunt-ends-no-hitter?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

In my view, I hate the unwritten rules that somehow forbid you to get a base hit in whatever way possible. It actually diminishes a no-hitter when the other team eliminates options.  A 3-0 game in the 9th isn't over.  And a starting pitcher in the 9th is vulnerable because of the high pitch count.  Do anything you can to get men on base.    And if a defense can't stop a bunt, it doesn't sound like the pitcher/team deserves a no-hitter.

MLB players seem split on the topic:  https://www.mlb.com/news/bunting-to-break-up-a-no-hitter-mlb-players-react

• Like 1

dumb as hell.  just like you don't kick a FG to break a shutout in the 4th quarter.

people know they pull shitass moves and then they act all coy.

laws protect them from getting their asses kicked.

Lmao it was 4 different pitchers? Fuck the pitching team then. Even if it was just one pitcher - if you don't want to allow a hit then field the bunt. 

I mean yeah it's a dick move but it's not like a bunt is a guaranteed hit. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

If it was one pitcher going for a no hitter it is bush league, but 3-0 and 4 different pitchers, no big deal to me. 

Agreed.

I also think the game situation should be a factor. I had no problem with Ben Davis breaking up Schilling’s perfect game with a bunt-it was the 8th inning, 2 run game. You’re trying to win.

If it’s 2 outs in the 9th up 7-0, that’s lame.

if it's 8-0 then it's weak as fuck. if it's 3-0 then the game is still in hand and it's 100% fine, and whining about that makes you a giant baby. being on your fourth different pitcher AND it's still a 3-0 game means that a bunt base hit shouldn't even move the needle, but baseball players are even more sensitive than soccer players, so what are you gonna do?

Pitching team acting like bitches. It wouldn't even be a big deal if the original pitcher was still pitching. 

"Oh, man, I better not do my best to get on first base right here. I mean, I'd hate to be the guy that breaks up this no-hitter by executing a perfect bunt to the first base side "

Please. Some unwritten rules make sense. This one doesn't. 

• Like 3

the hard truth that a lot of baseball guys don't want to accept- baseball's unwritten rules and traditions are almost exclusively cared about/enforced by white, american players, many of whom (especially these days) come from privileged and entitled backgrounds. the whole "respect the game" stuff is a fucking joke, and so are the douchebag baseball players who crow about this crap.

these are the same guys who walk, talk, dress, and act like they're trying to win the "world's biggest douchebag" contest, with their goofy, stupid facial hair, and a big ole fat chaw in their lip. these are the same guys who interrupt in-game interviews by throwing seeds and gum on their teammate, they put bubble gum on a teammates' hat, or they light his foot on fire in the dugout, and that's all super respectful and kosher, but then some black guy from an island nation wearing three gold chains stares at his HR for two seconds and these clowns empty the benches because, "respect for the game hurr durr." give me a break. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 3

if it's 8-0 then it's weak as fuck. if it's 3-0 then the game is still in hand and it's 100% fine, and whining about that makes you a giant baby. being on your fourth different pitcher AND it's still a 3-0 game means that a bunt base hit shouldn't even move the needle, but baseball players are even more sensitive than soccer players, so what are you gonna do?

If that last bit is your real opinion, then you know shit.

the hard truth that a lot of baseball guys don't want to accept- baseball's unwritten rules and traditions are almost exclusively cared about/enforced by white, american players, many of whom (especially these days) come from privileged and entitled backgrounds. the whole "respect the game" stuff is a fucking joke, and so are the douchebag baseball players who crow about this crap.

these are the same guys who walk, talk, dress, and act like they're trying to win the "world's biggest douchebag" contest, with their goofy, stupid facial hair, and a big ole fat chaw in their lip. these are the same guys who interrupt in-game interviews by throwing seeds and gum on their teammate, they put bubble gum on a teammates' hat, or they light his foot on fire in the dugout, and that's all super respectful and kosher, but then some black guy from an island nation wearing three gold chains stares at his HR for two seconds and these clowns empty the benches because, "respect for the game hurr durr." give me a break. 

I hadn’t read this when I posted my last. You obviously sucked at baseball, and therefore hated it. I get that, I hated the sports I sucked at (basketball).

You’re so wrong, and I can’t believe I’m even engaging you with a response, but I just couldn’t let it go. The brotherhood and respect that baseball is about is so far beyond your thinking that it’s actually kind of sad. The humor involved in the sport is something that probably waved bye bye to you in utero.

That said, fuck a pitcher’s no hitter. Being a undersized, fast, left handed batter paid for my college. Drag bunting put me on base probably 35% of the time, and I’d have no compunction whatsoever laying one down to bust up a no hitter, because fuck him.

There are unwritten rules in baseball, and a fuckton of superstitions. Probably the most prevalent is the fact that if a pitcher is throwing a no hitter, or a potential perfect game, as his teammate, especially out on the field, you don’t say a fucking word to him about it.

Your diatribe about the entitled white kids brawling the black islander is so ridiculous, that I really don’t know what else to say other than, as I said in my post before this, you know shit.

• Like 4

ooh, looks like i hit a nerve. "the brotherhood and respect that baseball is about.." lol okay. all i got from your super mature response is that you wear oakleys and a tilted-sideways hurley hat to complement your sweet chin beard, replete with copenhagen juice. sorry my posts sting so bad, but the truth hurts, and american baseball players are by and large as douchey as it gets in the world of sports. but more importantly than that, they are the absolute worst at falling back on tired cliches about unwritten rules and "respect for the game" every time they get upset. it's just a whole bunch of BS.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

33 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

If that last bit is your real opinion, then you know shit.

i know that we have to watch the bullpens empty 100 times a season for the most inane shit, because baseball players are so sensitive to harmless crap like pimping a homer or tossing your bat that it requires a 30 vs 30 fracas in the infield every time that happens. don't tell me baseball players aren't sensitive. that's a laugh. 

that said there's clearly no point in me trying to get you to understand any of this as you are way too invested in the idea of yourself and the sport you used to play to budge from stance, but you can't say i didn't try. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

ooh, looks like i hit a nerve. "the brotherhood and respect that baseball is about.." lol okay. all i got from your super mature response is that you wear oakleys and a tilted-sideways hurley hat to complement your sweet chin beard, replete with copenhagen juice. sorry my posts sting so bad, but the truth hurts, and american baseball players are by and large as douchey as it gets in the world of sports. but more importantly than that, they are the absolute worst at falling back on tired cliches about unwritten rules and "respect for the game" every time they get upset. it's just a whole bunch of BS.

You hit a nerve because you’re talking out of your ass. And for the record, I shaped my hat, wore eye black (because it looked fucking badass), and I never got Copenhagen on my beard because I didn’t have one when I played, I just wiped my chin. The douchebags you’re referring to are out there, but I wasn’t, nor am I now, one of them. Sorry a baseball player(s) upset you at one point, or a bunch of points in your life, but your beautiful stereotype is a dead giveaway.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i know that we have to watch the bullpens empty 100 times a season for the most inane shit, because baseball players are so sensitive to harmless crap like pimping a homer or tossing your bat that it requires a 30 vs 30 fracas in the infield every time that happens. don't tell me baseball players aren't sensitive. that's a laugh. 

The reason you "have" to watch it is because it makes sports-center when  it occurs.   How about ejecting anyone who crosses the foul line in a  fake baseball fight?  Bet that would reduce them to or more tolerable number.   KAYFUCKINGFAYBEE

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

I think you blow the race thing out of proportion. Bryce Harper has long been the most disliked player in the game by other players. (FWIW I do think MLB players are oversensitive, but frankly so are most people in the world). The NBA (these playoffs have been a prime example) and especially soccer players are feminine drama queens, baseball players aren't quite as bad but they're close.

• Like 1

the black islander knows the unwritten rules as well.  they grow up on them because they are being taught by black islanders who played ball before them.  

the real problem is starter used to go 7-8 innings and then your closer went 1 to 2 innings.  now with these 5 inning starters, and then 4 one inning per guys if you get to one of them you end up going deeper to the pen and then no lead is safe.

unwritten rules revolve around 3 things

1. potentially injuring an opponentn - don't throw at the head, don't come in high and late to 2nd, dont come in spikes up, etc.

2. showing up a opponent(big lead adds to that) 

3. breaking up a perfect game/no hitter/you could include pitching around a guy going for a record or 3 or 4 home run game, cycle, etc when the game is in hand one way or another.

In the old days a 6-0 lead in the 8th was game over.  you didn't sac bunt, you didn't steal, you didn't come hard inside, etc. Its not that way anymore.

since the pitcher warning came about hitters got more animated after big hits/home runs. as long as it isn't directed at the team or player its OK now because no pitcher is going to come in high and hard in retaliation.

that said, a 3-0 game is not over in the 9th and with 4 pitchers IN THE MINORS, who gives a shit. pitching team in this situation is stupid.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think you blow the race thing out of proportion. Bryce Harper has long been the most disliked player in the game by other players. (FWIW I do think MLB players are oversensitive, but frankly so are most people in the world). The NBA (these playoffs have been a prime example) and especially soccer players are feminine drama queens, baseball players aren't quite as bad but they're close.

i don't mean to imply that race is the driving force behind it, just that there's one specific type of player who tends to go on and on about the sanctity of the game, and another specific type of player who tends to wear jewelry, celebrate, bat flip, etc, thus pissing off the former group of players. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't mean to imply that race is the driving force behind it, just that there's one specific type of player who tends to go on and on about the sanctity of the game, and another specific type of player who tends to wear jewelry, celebrate, bat flip, etc, thus pissing off the former group of players. 

the white guys wear jewelry and bat flip just as much as the non white guys.  I really don't think white guys go on and on about the sanctity of the game.   shit Odor is the one that went after batflipper.

the older retired guys from /50's/60's/70's/80's(who are mostly white)go on about it because they knew they'd get earholed if they crossed the line and nobody was going to warn the pitcher.

669a1b93da5ec20c01d45b51844534a3.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975cfb36156444385273

lotta nerves being touched in this thread. and yeah, it's by and large white american dudes who get all up in arms about "respecting the game". it's always been that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

I just hate the broad brush stroke you took painting the white baseball players who love the game into a corner while playing some stupid race card for the poor Dominicans who get targeted for staring at a homerun for two long. If anyone, regardless of race, shows up a pitcher, their getting one in the back next go round. Or, depending on the situation, their on deck brethren will wear it. I was one who said “fuck the no hitter”. It’s your stereotyping all baseball players as white entitled douchebags that confused me.

• Like 1

first, you continue to blatantly mischaracterize everything i say because you are blinded by rage.  second, you earlier expressed incredulity at the idea that baseball players are sensitive, and yet you champion yourself as some born and bred representative of Joe Baseball Player, but then you turn around and say things like, "damn right i'm gonna go after anyone who stares at a home run for too long!" you're making my point for me.

your angry, impassioned. grammatically butchered posts are only helping to prove my point. there's exactly or person in this thread who's behaving in a hypersensitive manner, and he happens to be the guy who claims to speak for/represent white american baseball players everywhere. again, i know you can't see it, but that's the truth. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

I see both sides to this one.

On one hand, it’s a 3-0 game and they’re on their 4th pitcher. Try to win the damn game. It would be a pretty big deal if this were a major league game. I would understand more

On the other hand, it’s fucking double A. Your goal in double A is to develop and get to the big leagues. Not to win. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

the manager still needs to win. you play to win the game. development happens in practice. when the game starts you try to win it, and if the result still hangs in the balance then go ahead and bunt if it's going to get you on base. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 2

first, you continue to blatantly mischaracterize everything i say because you are blinded by rage.  second, you earlier expressed incredulity at the idea that baseball players are sensitive, and yet you champion yourself as some born and bred representative of Joe Baseball Player, but then you turn around and say things like, "damn right i'm gonna go after anyone who stares at a home run for too long!" you're making my point for me.
your angry, impassioned. grammatically butchered posts are only helping to prove my point. there's exactly or person in this thread who's behaving in a hypersensitive manner, and he happens to be the guy who claims to speak for/represent white american baseball players everywhere. again, i know you can't see it, but that's the truth. 

I’m not at all blinded by rage. Also, show me where I said what you quoted. I never championed myself as anything, only questioned your motive hating baseball players, or at least stereotyping the white ones. I might have lashed out a little, but it was due to the fact that you put all baseball players in one group.

“your angry, impassioned. grammatically butchered posts”.
^^^I hope this was a joke.

the manager still needs to win. you play to win the game. development happens in practice. when the game starts you try to win it, and if the result still hangs in the balance then go ahead and bunt if it's going to get you on base. 

I actually agree with you here, but I still say fuck the no hitter. If the pitcher can’t field a bunt, then he deserves to lose it.

If it was one pitcher going for a no hitter it is bush league, but 3-0 and 4 different pitchers, no big deal to me. 

This seems to be the obvious answer, and in my opinion doesn’t matter even if it’s one pitcher. It’s a winnable game, you play to win. Plus, bunting is pretty hard play to get to first. If the infield is playing deep why the fuck would you not try to get on base when it’s in reach at 3-0?

Also, Derkas right on this one. The “beauty of the game” nonsense comes largely from one particular demographic. Like all rules there are exceptions. But it holds. And its annoying.

The “rules” about safety make sense. But throwing at a guy for staring at his home run too long or clearing the dugout over some stupid shit is the opposite and just shows safety has nothing to do with it. Just stupid self indulgent nostalgia about fake notions of “honor” and “respect.”

There’s a point in any sport where celebration (ok) turns to taunting (not ok). But when a dumbass minor league team gets butthurt like this for stupid reasons like this is just reinforces how dumb these “rules” are and how ridiculous their interpretation. Really turns people off from this “beautiful” game.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the white guys wear jewelry and bat flip just as much as the non white guys.  I really don't think white guys go on and on about the sanctity of the game.   shit Odor is the one that went after batflipper.

the older retired guys from /50's/60's/70's/80's(who are mostly white)go on about it because they knew they'd get earholed if they crossed the line and nobody was going to warn the pitcher.

Odor didn’t go after the bat flipper. That wasn’t how that situation played out. Matt Bush hit Bautista. It was Bautista’s last AB against the Rangers all year so he tried to find a way to seek revenge. He decided he would slide into 2nd with a little bit of intent, considering Odor is 5’8” 185. What could possibly go wrong. Odor tried to essentially hit him in the face with the baseball, and Bautista didn’t like that. He got up with the idea that he was going to get into a fake baseball fight. Odor pushed him (universal warning that this could get ugly if this continues), and Bautista raises his hand, again, as if this is going to be a fake baseball fight. He quickly learned the hard way that it wasn’t a fake baseball fight. 

You can say he was out to get Bautista all you want, but that never happens if Bautista doesn’t slide into 2nd base aggressively. You can say Odor maybe thought to himself “I wish this dude would try me so I can put my hands on him” and I’ll buy that. But Odor had nothing to do with Bautista getting hit. He tried to take his frustration out on the wrong guy. Had he just charged the mound and gone after the person that actually hit him with the baseball, I don’t think he turns into a meme/gif the way he did. Unless Matt bush decks him, of course.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

669a1b93da5ec20c01d45b51844534a3.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975cfb36156444385273

lotta nerves being touched in this thread. and yeah, it's by and large white american dudes who get all up in arms about "respecting the game". it's always been that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t even like baseball, but your opinion sucked. But hey, you were right about game of thrones.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Odor didn’t go after the bat flipper. That wasn’t how that situation played out. Matt Bush hit Bautista. It was Bautista’s last AB against the Rangers all year so he tried to find a way to seek revenge. He decided he would slide into 2nd with a little bit of intent, considering Odor is 5’8” 185. What could possibly go wrong. Odor tried to essentially hit him in the face with the baseball, and Bautista didn’t like that. He got up with the idea that he was going to get into a fake baseball fight. Odor pushed him (universal warning that this could get ugly if this continues), and Bautista raises his hand, again, as if this is going to be a fake baseball fight. He quickly learned the hard way that it wasn’t a fake baseball fight. 

You can say he was out to get Bautista all you want, but that never happens if Bautista doesn’t slide into 2nd base aggressively. You can say Odor maybe thought to himself “I wish this dude would try me so I can put my hands on him” and I’ll buy that. But Odor had nothing to do with Bautista getting hit. He tried to take his frustration out on the wrong guy. Had he just charged the mound and gone after the person that actually hit him with the baseball, I don’t think he turns into a meme/gif the way he did. Unless Matt bush decks him, of course.

user name absolutely checks out.  LOL.

7 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

On the other hand, it’s fucking double A. Your goal in double A is to develop and get to the big leagues. Not to win. 

Then you could argue that any game, not at the top level, shouldn’t be played to win. Everyone from the players to the managers should learn how to win especially in real game scenarios.  And failing to win because you screwed up is a good lesson but only if the game matters. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I actually like some of the "unwritten rules" if that's what we're calling them. I don't know if it is "respecting the game" as much as it is regulating some degree of sportsmanship. I am not into bat flips and guys pimping their HRs. It's not a crime against humanity or anything, but it is lame. Act like you've been there before. I don't mind mind those guys getting plunked after they do it. 

And it works the other way around too, like Acuna's HR last night...Urena hit him intentionally last year, Acuna homered off him last night and did a little taunting...I'm good with it. 

But yeah - a multi-pitcher no-hitter in a close game...no problem with the dude bunting. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who gives a shit about a minor league no hitter? 

Somebody name for me a milb no hitter without looking it up. 

Pat Wernig, Tacoma Tigers, 1992, the only no-hitter I've ever seen in person.  So there.

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

AnnualConcreteLemming-size_restricted.gi

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I actually like some of the "unwritten rules" if that's what we're calling them. I don't know if it is "respecting the game" as much as it is regulating some degree of sportsmanship. I am not into bat flips and guys pimping their HRs. It's not a crime against humanity or anything, but it is lame. Act like you've been there before. I don't mind mind those guys getting plunked after they do it. 

Total pussy SJW bullshit. If you don’t want someone to pimp their home run, be good enough to not let them homer in the first place. Don’t get your feelings hurt & try to physically hurt someone like a bitch because of your own failure. 

“If you don’t like us dancing then don’t let us get in the endzone.”

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Donnybrooks are good for the sport

I can’t stress this enough. It’s fucking great for the sport, assuming nobody gets hurt in the same way hockey fights are good for the sport. It adds drama, and excitement to a sport that can be slow at times. Every time someone flips their bat or stares at a homer, I love thinking to myself “ohh gets getting hit next at bat” and watching it play out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Then you could argue that any game, not at the top level, shouldn’t be played to win. Everyone from the players to the managers should learn how to win especially in real game scenarios.  And failing to win because you screwed up is a good lesson but only if the game matters. 

I was only referring to a minor league setting where your overall goal is to develop. Look, I don’t disagree with you. My point was I thought it was kinda weak for a double a game. If your manager is asking you to bunt for a basehit in that situation (against the other teams 3rd bullpen arm) there’s a good chance you’re just not talented enough to play in the major leagues, unless bunting is something you do on a regular basis. I’m not saying it’s wrong, or unsportsmanlike, but I were on the other team I would be thinking “lol look at this no talent pussy ass bitch breaking up our no hitter with a bunt. Hey, whatever works, man.” And I would make fun of that person relentlessly. 

But I also understand doing whatever it takes to not get no hit, especially in a game where you could get one more person on base and now the tying run is up to bat. You play to win the game. If I was on that team getting no hit, I absolutely wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Again, I can definitely see both sides on this one. I don’t really have a problem with how either team handled the situation.

Edited by youdunnf'dup