Unwritten rules - break up no hitter with bunt

Nice Guy Eddie

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

I believe the MLB teams own the players and coaches contracts. The name, stadium, concessions, etc belong to the minor league franchise. If you control the players and coaches, you essentially own the team.

probably splitting hairs, but they don't own the team in that they don't have any vested interest in the profitability of the team.  that was the point i was speaking to when someone gave the hypothetical of MLB clubs shouldn't care about MiLB records because they're development leagues for the big league club.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

probably splitting hairs, but they don't own the team in that they don't have any vested interest in the profitability of the team.  that was the point i was speaking to when someone gave the hypothetical of MLB clubs shouldn't care about MiLB records because they're development leagues for the big league club.

Ok, I get what you were saying now and I agree.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I agree to some extent but I would assume that MiLB owners also care about fans in the stands. If the team is going 40-100 but continuing to send up MLB prospects, I would think the stands are relatively empty.   

Admittedly I've never permanently lived in a minor league town but I assume fans always care about seeing a winning team over one that just produces talent for the major league team.

I think it depends on how knowledgeable the fan base is.

”did you see x, y, and z this weekend? They went a combined 11-20 with 5 hrs. I can’t said till we see them with the big club” should always outweigh “man, we’re on a 10 game winning streak right now. Hopefully they can carry that over to the playoffs and we can win a minor league championship.”

That isn’t the case for any other level of baseball, or any other sport. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think it depends on how knowledgeable the fan base is.

”did you see x, y, and z this weekend? They went a combined 11-20 with 5 hrs. I can’t said till we see them with the big club” should always outweigh “man, we’re on a 10 game winning streak right now. Hopefully they can carry that over to the playoffs and we can win a minor league championship.”

That isn’t the case for any other level of baseball, or any other sport. 

That’s exactly what I was getting at.

Sure Winning is better, but seeing a pitcher develop a 3rd pitch or a hitter closing a hole in his swing is a lot of fun too when watching the minors.

and jdging by the typical fan and club reactions when players get called up to the Show, it’s still awesome all the way around.  Nobody GAF what Round Rock’s record is in their league if they keep sending prospects to the Astros clubhouse.

• 2 years later...