Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

IMG_KS1103_zps6tlb0mi2.jpg
roasted king salmon with fig mustard sauce and grilled figs on french lentils; carrots braised with garlic, cumin, red pepper and paprika
IMG_BC1106_zpsxfs4ncap.jpg
basque cake with sour cherries
IMG_BCI1107_zps9c5ouwfe.jpg
Growing up we had a huge fig tree in the back yard. We used to eat fig this, fig that, and still had tons of fig preserves to give away. Until the drain field went bad and Dad had to put in a new septic system. Then the tree died. Woops.
  • Like 1

The picadillo - http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/mexican-hash-picadillo-65159 .  You're going to want to drain the meat pretty well after cooking/keep the amount of liquid down.  Then put roughly 2 cups of that per pillsbury pie crust, fold/close, brush some whisked egg on it, into the oven at 400 for 25 minutes.  That picadillo recipe made enough for 4.  We managed to eat just a bit more than 1 before we were done (empanadas make great leftovers, will see if they stand up as well cut into wedges).

oh and I put some cotija cheese on top, as well as a little bit inside when making the empanada.  queso fresco would probably be a bit better.

Edited by Celery Man

These days I always wrap baby backs during the cook, but when during the cook varies depending on what I'm looking for in a final product.  I wanted a "competition" bite, so I smoked them at 250* for 1.5 hours, then wrapped for 1.5 hours.  Yup, only takes 3 hours.  My wife (no pics) really likes fall-off-the-bone (insert wife/bone joke here), so for that I smoke them for 1 hour, then wrapped for 2.  That 30 minute delta wrapped/unwrapped makes all the difference.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:48 PM, Paco said:
On 4/22/2018 at 9:07 PM, Jack Straw said:
roasted king salmon with fig mustard sauce and grilled figs on french lentils; carrots braised with garlic, cumin, red pepper and paprika

Growing up we had a huge fig tree in the back yard. We used to eat fig this, fig that, and still had tons of fig preserves to give away. Until the drain field went bad and Dad had to put in a new septic system. Then the tree died. Woops.

The top picture is Golden Retriever approved, the second is not.

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2018 at 10:25 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

With it being a little chilly this morning, I decided i wanted some green chicken chili for dinner. Used my pressure cooker for the first time, whole thing took about 45 min and turned out excellent. 

2jg8ay8.jpg

Could I get some more details, por favor? 

• Like 2

It was a little different using the pressure cooker than I was accustomed to, but incredibly convenient, and I think it really brought out the flavors well without having the roast anything. 

3 lb chicken

4 quartered tomatillos

3 poblano (discard seeds and stems, roughly chopped)

2 Anaheim peppers  (discard seeds and stems, roughly chopped)

2-3 Serranos  (discard seeds and stems, roughly chopped)

medium white or yellow onion roughly chopped 

salt pepper couple tablespoons of cumin 

Turn on high heat for about five minutes, seal it then pressure cook for about 25. Shred up chicken if you want, hand blend or food processor the peppers til a liquidy consistency, season to taste and cook for another five. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Underdog said:

Much obliged, will have to give that a go soon. 

I forgot to mention, the wife wanted to throw a can of navy beans in there towards the end. Being that this ain’t Texas Red, i obliged and it ended up being a nice little filler. 

Ps throw in a handful or two of cilantro to garnish. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2018 at 10:48 PM, Paco said:
On 4/22/2018 at 9:07 PM, Jack Straw said:

figures

On 4/19/2018 at 12:40 PM, Mack Tripper said:

+1. Not a fan of fresh tomatoes in red sauce. The canned organic Muir Glen whole peeled and the crushed tomatoes are also very good. 

I keep maybe half a cup of the canned tomatoes out of the sauce while it is cooking and add them in at the end.  Adds a little something that I dig. 

On 4/26/2018 at 12:41 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

I forgot to mention, the wife wanted to throw a can of navy beans in there towards the end. Being that this ain’t Texas Red, i obliged and it ended up being a nice little filler. 

Ps throw in a handful or two of cilantro to garnish. 

You were trying really hard not to own up the beans, huh?

I got these wings last week to make hot wings on the grill, but got too lazy to feck with it. So I experimented with oven made wings tonight. Also low carb, even though I used some peach/hatch glaze I had stashed away, along with the Frank's Red Hot. Not enough to make it too carby.

Baked at 375 for about 20, then another dab of sauce and put under the broiler until they got some char grilly type finish. They were pretty dang good. And cutting off the tips is faget.

wings.jpg

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Jack, whatever happened to Austinvines?  Hopefully he is still around. 

austinvines made it over here - just hasn't posted much yet i guess.  wish he would post more of his cooking.  teenagers and a real job probably keep him pretty busy.

i'm about 195 these days btw, with no marathons to date 😆